Sign in to follow this  
dacapo

Dumb Holiday Traditions that make you want to puke

The distant cousin of the elf on the shelf:  the mensch on the bench.  

Oy vey.  

7 minutes ago, Remodel said:

The sister in law was not pleased, and while I'm still allowed in the house, I'm not asked to participate in any traditions.

Skillfully done! ;)

Here's a little something sappy and sweet for you, if you're into that sort of thing...But there is some cursing in it, so I figured y'all might still approve

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, On The Hard said:

Here's a little something sappy and sweet for you, if you're into that sort of thing...But there is some cursing in it, so I figured y'all might still approve

Well wasn't that just sweet.  I've been teaching English here for 11 years, I can relate to the situation and the accent. 

The title of the video translates to 'What are you looking for on Christmas'.

Allegro is trying hard to be the Polish Amazon.

15 minutes ago, Ed Lada said:

Well wasn't that just sweet.  I've been teaching English here for 11 years, I can relate to the situation and the accent. 

The title of the video translates to 'What are you looking for on Christmas'.

Allegro is trying hard to be the Polish Amazon.

It appears they understand social media quite well....youtube, network effect, etc.  Hard to not like content like that..   I was actually thinking of you when I posted this. Glad you approve!

15 minutes ago, On The Hard said:

It appears they understand social media quite well....youtube, network effect, etc.  Hard to not like content like that..   I was actually thinking of you when I posted this. Glad you approve!

Allegro has a very good ad agency, they have some really funny stuff, and poignant ones like that one as well.

At Christmas it is very, very important for Poles to be with family.  They will travel halfway around the world if they can afford to.

Actually Christmas eve or in Polish, Wigilia is the big event.  Tradition dictates that you have at least 12 different things to eat and no meat.  Beet soup (barszcz) with little tortellini like things (uszka) stuffed with cabbage and mushrooms, fried Carp (karpia), and herring in cream (śledzie) are staples.  Various salads and bread count so it isn't hard to get 12 different things.  And you always set a place for any stranger in need that might happen by.  Christmas day and the day after, also a holiday, are for eating, drinking, and watching Home Alone.

1 minute ago, Ed Lada said:

Tradition dictates that you have at least 12 different things to eat and no meat.  Beet soup (barszcz) with little tortellini like things (uszka) stuffed with cabbage and mushrooms, fried Carp (karpia), and herring in cream (śledzie) are staples.  Various salads and bread count so it isn't hard to get 12 different things.  And you always set a place for any stranger in need that might happen by.  Christmas day and the day after and the day after and the one after that , also a holiday, are for eating drinking, and watching Home Alone.

actually no cooking at all on the day ,  everything is prepared ahead of time and served ..   beet soup, no,  blood soup, Czernina      it's always fun to be a part of a polish family..

33 minutes ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

actually no cooking at all on the day ,  everything is prepared ahead of time and served ..   beet soup, no,  blood soup, Czernina      it's always fun to be a part of a polish family..

I haven't met very many Polish people that eat czarnina, especially not the younger ones.  Kaszanka, blood sausage can be pretty good.  Duck blood soup, no!

8 hours ago, More Cowbell2 said:

It would be funny except that this is the reality that we live today.  Freakin snowflakes.

It would be funny except that it's really fucking stupid.

12 hours ago, Ed Lada said:

I haven't met very many Polish people that eat czarnina, especially not the younger ones.  Kaszanka, blood sausage can be pretty good.  Duck blood soup, no!

i'm not sure if it was real blood soup,  they called it that , but it was probably beet soup...  i passed on it anyway...  but the best was śliwka  ,  there were some in the polish community here that made some good stuff...   one guy had a honey based,  our good friend, she had one with raspberries..

13 hours ago, Point Break said:

Lutefisk.........:wacko:

oof..  My gma from deutschland could burn H20...  But She always made that damn stuff whenever she came to town...  Rassol was the other thing...  Ugh...  

2 hours ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

i'm not sure if it was real blood soup,  they called it that , but it was probably beet soup...  i passed on it anyway...  but the best was śliwka  ,  there were some in the polish community here that made some good stuff...   one guy had a honey based,  our good friend, she had one with raspberries..

Barszcz or borscht (beet soup) is quite a red color.  Duck blood soup, czernina is almost black. 

Śliwka is plum, there are commercially bottled products from various eastern European countries called called Slivovice or Sliwowitz.  Polish people make all kinds of fruit liquors with raspberries, quince, elderberries, and other fruit.   They usually start with spiritus which is almost pure alcohol like Everclear and steep the fruit in it with some sugar, then water it down to around 40%-50% alcohol.   Everybody has their own recipe that's been handed down for many generations.  In my experience, some of them are very good, others not so much.  

We have some friends from Ukraine, when they go home to visit they always bring back some samogon which is homemade vodka, they call it bimbir here.  The stuff the father makes is aged in oak barrels for some time which gives it a smooth, mellow flavor and a nice golden color.  It is the best home distilled alcohol I've ever had.

Mr ed...  I race with a tiny polish guy...  My fam is from Latvia, went to Poland on the advice of a uncle that was high up in the ranks when hitler started moving north..  so... they went to a family member that had a legit estate somewhere out there.    Polish elite, but when the germans went in, they sort of went out.  dad has a pic of the Remagen bridge from their apartment on the hill overlooking the damn thing.  (did lots of reports on that little skirmish in school, but I digress... ) Anyway, apparently I am  the long lost prince Poland and any reparations would be gladly accepted.. :P:D

2 minutes ago, shaggy said:

Mr ed...  I race with a tiny polish guy...  My fam is from Latvia, went to Poland on the advice of a uncle that was high up in the ranks when hitler started moving north..  so... they went to a family member that had a legit estate somewhere out there.    Polish elite, but when the germans went in, they sort of went out.  dad has a pic of the Remagen bridge from their apartment on the hill overlooking the damn thing.  (did lots of reports on that little skirmish in school, but I digress... ) Anyway, apparently I am  the long lost prince Poland and any reparations would be gladly accepted.. :P:D

It sounds like your family got chased around Europe a bit during WW II.  Blame Montgomery for the mess in the Netherlands.  

You better get in line Shaggy, there are a lot of dispossessed Polish nobles out there.  Between the partition and disappearance of Poland by Russia, Germany and Austria in 1795 and lasting until the end of WW I and then the upheaval WW II, most of the Polish nobility lost their land holdings.  The Prussian nobility all have 'von' (which means 'from') in front of their last name.  The Polish equivalent is 'ski', at the end of the last name.  A long time ago, only the nobility had the right to have ski on the end of their name, but at some point everybody started using it.  So, if your last name ends in ski, send me your SSN, your mother's maiden name, and all of your bank information, and I'll get you what you richly deserve. ;)

In Polish last names, they indicate the gender of the person, with the female version of the name ending in 'A'.  So a man's last name might end in ski or cki, but his wife's name ends in ska or cka.  And most female first names also end with an 'A'.

22 minutes ago, Ed Lada said:

It sounds like your family got chased around Europe a bit during WW II.  Blame Montgomery for the mess in the Netherlands.  

You better get in line Shaggy, there are a lot of dispossessed Polish nobles out there.  Between the partition and disappearance of Poland by Russia, Germany and Austria in 1795 and lasting until the end of WW I and then the upheaval WW II, most of the Polish nobility lost their land holdings.  The Prussian nobility all have 'von' (which means 'from') in front of their last name.  The Polish equivalent is 'ski', at the end of the last name.  A long time ago, only the nobility had the right to have ski on the end of their name, but at some point everybody started using it.  So, if your last name ends in ski, send me your SSN, your mother's maiden name, and all of your bank information, and I'll get you what you richly deserve. ;)

In Polish last names, they indicate the gender of the person, with the female version of the name ending in 'A'.  So a man's last name might end in ski or cki, but his wife's name ends in ska or cka.  And most female first names also end with an 'A'.

Na no ski, only 4 letters.  equates to fence aust deutch... 

2 hours ago, shaggy said:

Na no ski, only 4 letters.  equates to fence aust deutch... 

Let's see, a Latvian family with a German surname that went to the Netherlands by way of Poland and ended up in the USA.  

Pretty typical story and one of the reasons that I think that extreme nationalism is a silly concept.  

If European Borders Were Drawn By DNA Instead Of Ethnicity ...

Image result for nationality map of europe

The dumb holiday traditions I dislike are the people who denigrate holiday traditions.  I've always found them to be miserable people who want to share their misery with everyone else.

If you don't believe, than ignore it, and get on with your life.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, QBF said:

The dumb holiday traditions I dislike are the people who denigrate holiday traditions.  I've always found them to be miserable people who want to share their misery with everyone else.

I dislike people that denigrate the denigraters.  If we don't believe what?  If you mean believing that Christmas is the celebration of the birth of Jesus, Christians make up a minority of the world's population, just a little less than 30% of all the people.  The Christians co-opted a pagan holiday in December, just like they did for Easter.  What a coincidence, Christmas and Easter fall around the time of the winter solstice and the vernal equinox.

Almost everybody stops believing in Santa Claus by the time they are teens.

If you mean folks don't believe in a time of sharing, giving, and family activities, I don't see that, just that there are some popular traditions that they don't happen to enjoy, but they observe other traditions. 

For many people, it ceased to be about believing anything a long time ago.  It's mostly all about rampant consumerism, and a day off from work nowadays.  It seems to me that Black Friday has become almost as important as Christmas day.

Thank goodness Trump took charge and ended the war on Christmas.  Things will get better soon.  Christmas will be yuge again, you just wait and see.  

Have a happy holiday!  

Anyone mention drinkin ??

5 hours ago, Point Break said:

I believe in  Ms Santa Claus............does that count? :lol:

FiFy

47214561-sexy-ms-santa-claus-in-red-unde

• Downvote 1

17 minutes ago, Snaggletooth said:

Santas marrided to redheade?

The twins mother?

• Downvote 1

14 hours ago, QBF said:

traditions are just historical peer pressure...

7 hours ago, Point Break said:

I believe in Santa Claus............does that count? :lol:

No. The suspension of disbelief is not the same as belief.

Not getting into the weeds on this one.

2 hours ago, Ishmael said:

No. The suspension of disbelief is not the same as belief.

Not getting into the weeds on this one.

Oh, you've been getting into the weed alright...

One of the traditions I was introduced to when we moved here was every person who delivers, picks up or does anything on your property has their hand out.  And they leave a card or some message to let you know where to send the money.  Mail, newspaper, garbage, pool, lawn.  We usually give to the mail carrier, but the rest?

HoHoHo.  Where's the money?

Santa hats on fence posts. FFS people, that looks like you put one there one for every Santa you shot.

16 minutes ago, Jules said:

One of the traditions I was introduced to when we moved here was every person who delivers, picks up or does anything on your property has their hand out.  And they leave a card or some message to let you know where to send the money.  Mail, newspaper, garbage, pool, lawn.  We usually give to the mail carrier, but the rest?

Back after the '08 crash there was an article on where people were cutting back at Xmas - smaller tips for personal shoppers was one.

You know the economy is bad when you have to reduce the Xmas tip for your personal shopper.

17 hours ago, Jules said:

mail carrier?  they have one of the best pension systems in the country, it's the reason USPS is going broke...  newspaper, the guy driving by in his mufferless fiesta at 4:30 am throwing the paper in to the bushes.. nope..   lawn? with your backyard, i would have fired them.. and pool guy, my friends pool guy had the ph so far off that the copper in hte water caused him such a bad reaction he literally almost lost his balls...    the only people getting extra money from me are the two bartenders at the growler store where i go to sip a couple..  they're nice people and can use the extra money.. 

25 minutes ago, NeedAClew said:

I tip my hairdresser and mani-pedi guy. Chemicals, sharp objects. Seems wise.

I guess I should tip my urologist.  :D

• Like 1

No shit.

And your proctologist.

(see what I did there?)

9 hours ago, More Cowbell2 said:

Before he tips you.

17 hours ago, More Cowbell2 said:

I rang my Urologist today but he must have been busy. The receptionist said “Can you hold?“

2 hours ago, justsomeguy! said:

That's a man.

I doubt it.  Russian woman. Or Ukrainian, somewhere east of Poland anyway.

38 minutes ago, Ed Lada said:

I doubt it.  Russian woman. Or Ukrainian, somewhere east of Poland anyway.

Get your eyes checked. That's a man.

4 hours ago, justsomeguy! said:

That's a man.

But do you really care? :D

Just now, SloopJonB said:

But do you really care? :D

I think the appropriate phrase is "NTTAWWT".

On 12/21/2019 at 5:29 PM, IStream said:

Get your eyes checked. That's a man.

My eyes are OK, I recently got new glasses.  

I realize that some of you here don't get up close and personal with a woman very often, so I can understand your confusion.