shanghaisailor

Youth America's Cup

Jeez, Woolfy, you sure do scream for attention. So I'll give you a little...

50 minutes ago, Woolfy said:

You're right Clean, this guy definately has issues.

Can't even recall what they said 4 posts previously. :rolleyes:

I think you're referring to this statement I made to Shang:

"It remains to be seen how SailGP will do in the upcoming seasons, and more to the point of appeal to youth, how the Inspire program will play out. But there are FAR more corollary classes and events for the SailGP direction (which don't cost $250K) than even remotely what you're seeing here with the AC9F/YAC. "

You then said this:

"You've wound your neck in about SailGP and seem to now conceed that perhaps the business model won't work (some might say in true troll fashion) and seem to accept the fact that you could be wrong about the youth AC and it could well succeed. Yet you still pour scorn on the youth event whilst grandstanding about the GP, can't you just wish both events well? "

You clearly are not understanding what you are reading...so...

As I already said above, I've not "wound my neck in" at all regarding SailGP's business model. I think it's a very good one (and just posted a related F1 article in that thread showing some reasons why). My "conceeding" [sic] that "it remains to be seen" how that model will play out in the upcoming seasons is simply being rational and objective - because it's simply true. But that's the problem - rationality and objectivity equals "trolling" in this rabid-fanboy-forum...

cf4ecff19343b94f5911cd5c3ad8bf631493b898

So I will say it again so that you might finally understand it. I fully believe SailGP (and its Inspire program) will be successful because the fundamentals are there. I also fully believe that the YAC in its current configuration will fail because the fundamentals are not there.

And in both cases, the outcome remains to be seen.

Logic doesn't have to be scary.

Am I the only one on this forum that's got a really annoying garbling sound going on in the background?

Kinda like the village idiot is sitting in the corner of the room.

6 hours ago, Woolfy said:

Am I the only one on this forum that's got a really annoying garbling sound going on in the background?

Kinda like the village idiot is sitting in the corner of the room.

Yeah it's just you, everyone what has turned on ignore :-)

• Like 4

Smack I guess the YAC simply doesn’t matter too much. But if they can make it work great. 
I’m fairly sure GD has one objective and one only. Retain the AC. The YAC isn’t his gig. And nor should it be. 

my first AC was Freo. With a healthy number of challengers and defenders prospects.it was a blast  Remember when there was more than one defender prospect ?  Not that it did the Australuans much good.
I’d love there to be more participants this time around but let’s face it. In today’s gimme gimme gimme world even the billionaires attention spans have shortened. 
no doubt a regatta in NZ isn’t worth as much as it might be in more populated parts of the world. But they won. Others tried and didn’t so it is what it is and it’s in NZ  and let’s also agree the boats that some decried work  so far  with how they go in an AC yet to be determined  there is something cool about something so different  I think  

if nz win again I’m 100% sure there’ll be another AC in NZ. As to how many compete that is the Challengers problem. Or perhaps opportunity? but I’m equally sure there will be some. 

happy NY

• Like 1

And kudos to the Kiwis for defending on their own country's home waters, not in some other country with better time zone placement or cash incentives or whatever.  

Seriously. 

• Like 7

2 hours ago, NeedAClew said:

And kudos to the Kiwis for defending on their own country's home waters, not in some other country with better time zone placement or cash incentives or whatever.  

Seriously. 

Happy New Year to you, having a clue about stuff. :D

• Like 1

11 hours ago, PJB said:

Smack I guess the YAC simply doesn’t matter too much. But if they can make it work great. 
I’m fairly sure GD has one objective and one only. Retain the AC. The YAC isn’t his gig. And nor should it be. 

my first AC was Freo. With a healthy number of challengers and defenders prospects.it was a blast  Remember when there was more than one defender prospect ?  Not that it did the Australuans much good.
I’d love there to be more participants this time around but let’s face it. In today’s gimme gimme gimme world even the billionaires attention spans have shortened. 
no doubt a regatta in NZ isn’t worth as much as it might be in more populated parts of the world. But they won. Others tried and didn’t so it is what it is and it’s in NZ  and let’s also agree the boats that some decried work  so far  with how they go in an AC yet to be determined  there is something cool about something so different  I think  

if nz win again I’m 100% sure there’ll be another AC in NZ. As to how many compete that is the Challengers problem. Or perhaps opportunity? but I’m equally sure there will be some. 

happy NY

HNY to you too, PJB.

I agree that this YAC is definitely a side project. It shows. And that's really the underlying point I'm making. So I think we agree there. As for the AC75, it's new. I'll concede that to you.

At the end of the day, I'm obviously pulling for ETNZ to get wildly humiliated in the finals - by NYYC. It would just be too delicious to see DB wallop them and have PB in tears. The Schadenfreude would be thick in the air.

Regardless of the outcome, it should all be fun to watch.

Cheers.

18 hours ago, PJB said:

happy NY

In AC30 11 challengers  gathered in NZ but that was before the dotcom bubble burst so....

On 1/2/2020 at 8:04 AM, smackdaddy said:

HNY to you too, PJB.

I agree that this YAC is definitely a side project. It shows. And that's really the underlying point I'm making. So I think we agree there. As for the AC75, it's new. I'll concede that to you.

At the end of the day, I'm obviously pulling for ETNZ to get wildly humiliated in the finals - by NYYC. It would just be too delicious to see DB wallop them and have PB in tears. The Schadenfreude would be thick in the air.

Regardless of the outcome, it should all be fun to watch.

Cheers.

I hope you're not a gambling man. 

On 12/12/2019 at 2:30 PM, t_huebs said:

Seem similar to the 69F that was in Seahorse recently?

https://wilson-marquinez.com/69f/

From FareVela,

https://farevela.net/2020/02/14/persico-marine-costruira-in-serie-il-monofoil-69f-e-arriva-anche-il-circuito/

Persico is series building the 69F, and a racing circuit has already been organized making its debut at Cagliari during the ACWS

Pipped the Kiwi contraption, if you ask me

On 1/4/2020 at 10:03 PM, kenergy said:

I hope you're not a gambling man. 

FFS, keep that rubbish to yourself, please!

3 hours ago, Fiji Bitter said:

FFS, keep that rubbish to yourself, please!

That rubbish is now invisible to me, it's a more enjoyable experience now. 

• Like 1

So already bigger than SGP then?

Awkward...

• Like 1

Just now, rh3000 said:

So already bigger than SGP then?

Awkward...

Especially since the talk from @Tornado-Cat and @smackdaddy about the cost of entering. Australia already has a confirmed team in the competition, as does NZ, Meanwhile SailGP Team Australia is still trying to find a sponsor and Coutts still can't put a Kiwi team together, even though ETNZ won the AC in the AC50's, meanwhile NZ is defending the AC, has a team in the Youth AC, and has a NZ entry in the Ocean Race! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Forourselves said:

d Coutts still can't put a Kiwi team together, even though ETNZ won the AC in the AC50'

Be fair, wuss has two years to pimp his show. Who knows, maybe kk shaking her booty

Anyone know of wuss has actually.breaded

On 2/18/2020 at 7:13 AM, Xlot said:

From FareVela,

https://farevela.net/2020/02/14/persico-marine-costruira-in-serie-il-monofoil-69f-e-arriva-anche-il-circuito/

Persico is series building the 69F, and a racing circuit has already been organized making its debut at Cagliari during the ACWS

Pipped the Kiwi contraption, if you ask me

Yeah, going to be a little confusing when the 69F pops up at Cagliari and does a series then the "youth series" in very similar boats is a different thing.

4 hours ago, t_huebs said:

Yeah, going to be a little confusing when the 69F pops up at Cagliari and does a series then the "youth series" in very similar boats is a different thing.

Maybe. Although from the early construction photo's from RG, the AC9F looks a lot different to the 69F

Interesting article on the YAC: "Opportunity for those that can afford it", and how it's already falling apart before it even gets started. First of all, even though the Emiratis are claiming space for "up to 20 teams", they are only building 7 AC9Fs. More importantly, they've almost doubled the entry fee over what it was in 2017 and added the huge travel expenses for their far-flung venues. Also, as anyone can plainly see, the AC9F is nothing like the AC75 - unlike the foiling AC45s in the 2017 edition. So broader cross-over for these YAC teams is virtually zero. Great ROI, eh?

AND THIS IS IMPORTANT BECAUSE...

..the previous YAC that the Emiratis didn't run helped develop and produce its current crop of talent. Go figure.

Well at least all the boats will be the same was surprised by what Kirby said about their league's wings inception to SF.

Well, that remains to be seen regarding the AC9Fs - obviously. Otherwise, what do RK and F50 wings have to do with the YAC issues we're discussing here?

14 minutes ago, smackdaddy said:

First of all, even though the Emiratis are claiming space for "up to 20 teams", they are only building 7 AC9Fs

It's match racing in same design boats - they don't need 20 boats for 20 teams.

smack doesn't know what match racing is.  he occasionally sails on a cruising cat and has no idea how to race.  it's one of his endearing qualities.  like the word 'heh'.

12 minutes ago, Horn Rock said:

It's match racing in same design boats - they don't need 20 boats for 20 teams.

You're missing the point. At this rate, they won't even need 7 boats...kind of like the main event.

PS - I suppose your Emiratis' own press release has it wrong too?

The multi-leg event will begin with a fleet racing seeding event in China in November 2020 and then a match racing event in Auckland from February 18th- 23rd 2021 with the finals held between March 8th- 12th 2021 right outside the RNZYS in the shadow of Auckland’s iconic Harbour Bridge.

7 minutes ago, smackdaddy said:

a fleet racing seeding event

Seven boats does constitute a fleet. For 20 teams they just run 3 races.

1 hour ago, smackdaddy said:

Well, that remains to be seen regarding the AC9Fs - obviously. Otherwise, what do RK and F50 wings have to do with the YAC issues we're discussing here?

The point is truly identical boats for YAC. Go reread the RK interview you quoted from. The Season 1 thru S2 Sydney boats have different wings and wing control mechanisms. Or so your hero said. They got Artemis 1, could not fully adjust on fly. 

40 minutes ago, Horn Rock said:

Seven boats does constitute a fleet. For 20 teams they just run 3 races.

Heh. Dancing now?

We'll have to see how many races they actually run...and how many boats are actually used.

Clew - I read it. My point stands. Nothing is done yet for this upcoming YAC. It's just talk - while everything around it crumbles. And time is getting tight. And this still has nothing to do with your circus.

7 hours ago, smackdaddy said:

Interesting article on the YAC: "Opportunity for those that can afford it", and how it's already falling apart before it even gets started. First of all, even though the Emiratis are claiming space for "up to 20 teams", they are only building 7 AC9Fs. More importantly, they've almost doubled the entry fee over what it was in 2017 and added the huge travel expenses for their far-flung venues. Also, as anyone can plainly see, the AC9F is nothing like the AC75 - unlike the foiling AC45s in the 2017 edition. So broader cross-over for these YAC teams is virtually zero. Great ROI, eh?

AND THIS IS IMPORTANT BECAUSE...

..the previous YAC that the Emiratis didn't run helped develop and produce its current crop of talent. Go figure.

You're an idiot. They have to have space because the entry period hasn't closed yet genius. They're only building 7 because they're going to alternate the crews in and out of the boats which means teams don't have to buy a boat. Just as they did with the Louis Vuitton Pacific Series when they alternated crews in and out of the Oracle, ETNZ, Mascalzone, K-Challenge, Origin and Mascalzone boats.

The AC9 is a foiling mono is it not? Remember the first iteration of the AC45's did not foil and they were used for the RBYAC and the crew who won that year (NZL Sailing team) The Team led by Burling and Tuke crossed over easily and ended up winning the Cup in Bermuda. 

So Shut up, because none of what you said is true. NONE.

@smackdaddy and it wasn;'t the previous YAC that developed the current crop of talent...it was the fucking Olympics moron! The YAC was a stepping stone for the current Cup holders, but it was the Olympics that developed that team, not the YAC. The YAC was an opportunity for those successful Olympians to get involved with an AC team, but it had NOTHING to do with the development of the current crop.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Forourselves said:

@smackdaddy and it wasn;'t the previous YAC that developed the current crop of talent...it was the fucking Olympics moron! The YAC was a stepping stone for the current Cup holders, but it was the Olympics that developed that team, not the YAC. The YAC was an opportunity for those successful Olympians to get involved with an AC team, but it had NOTHING to do with the development of the current crop.

Do I believe a blathering idiot on a sailing forum who has repeatedly been shown by most everyone to be wrong 90%+ of the time, or do I believe someone who actually knows what they are talking about? From the article...

Promoted as a stepping stone to the next level, it has been that, best exemplified by 2013 youth winners Peter Burling, Blair Tuke, and Andy Maloney going on in 2017 to effectively defend the America’s Cup. But while it proves to be a valued opportunity for the up and comer, what the Youth America’s Cup has never been is cheap.

You just keep proving how little you understand about all this, Four. But keep at it. It's entertaining.

At the end of the day, OTUSA directly developed their own defeat - precisely because it was moving everything toward a single foiling AC50 platform for everyone across the board - leveling the playing field while bringing down costs. That's admirable. You Emiratis, on the other hand, are keeping the sailing youth down by pricing them out of the game while at the same time making them sail a completely inferior boat that has virtually no relevance to the real deal. I guess that's one way to try to keep the cup, but it's pretty douchey.

PS - As for the entry period, 4 days left and we'll see about this "fleet racing" of "20 teams".

17 hours ago, Forourselves said:

You're an idiot. They have to have space because the entry period hasn't closed yet genius. They're only building 7 because they're going to alternate the crews in and out of the boats which means teams don't have to buy a boat. Just as they did with the Louis Vuitton Pacific Series when they alternated crews in and out of the Oracle, ETNZ, Mascalzone, K-Challenge, Origin and Mascalzone boats.

The AC9 is a foiling mono is it not? Remember the first iteration of the AC45's did not foil and they were used for the RBYAC and the crew who won that year (NZL Sailing team) The Team led by Burling and Tuke crossed over easily and ended up winning the Cup in Bermuda. 

So Shut up, because none of what you said is true. NONE.

It's almost worth unignoring him just to reply to that one, it's literally so ripe for the picking it's less a low hanging fruit and more one that has already fallen on the ground. 

I'm not sure there is a correct a statement in the entire thing.

Honestly though just pop him on ignore, the forums suddenly get a lot more pleasant without the  incessant,monotonous, semi racist, factually incorrect, trolling.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Boybland said:

It's almost worth unignoring him just to reply to that one, it's literally so ripe for the picking it's less a low hanging fruit and more one that has already fallen on the ground. 

I'm not sure there is a correct a statement in the entire thing.

Honestly though just pop him on ignore, the forums suddenly get a lot more pleasant without the  incessant,monotonous, semi racist, factually incorrect, trolling.

i still havent figured out how to set up an "ignore" 

21 minutes ago, breezie said:

i still havent figured out how to set up an "ignore" 

From Home Page, click on FORUMS

In the SA banner, click on your USER NAME (top, right hand side)

Drop down menu appears - click on IGNORED USERS

Follow instructions to add user to ignore list

If you can’t follow the instructions, you deserve each other. 

• Like 1

I am not sure why you think putting someone on ignore is some kind of punishment.  If you dont want to read a post just skip it.  So many times I have read people's threat to put a   poster on ignore as if it was some big deal.  Its all very childish and reminds me of the way kindergarten kids act.

• Like 1

Smackers posts reveal so much about him. It's all very sad. Poor guy I actually feel quite sorry for him.

4 hours ago, Sailbydate said:

From Home Page, click on FORUMS

In the SA banner, click on your USER NAME (top, right hand side)

Drop down menu appears - click on IGNORED USERS

Follow instructions to add user to ignore list 

If you can’t follow the instructions, you deserve each other. 

Thanks for that ... easy when you know how!

kinda wish is wasn't necessary  but I am only here for the sailing , intelligent humor, and soft porn.   the personal feuds just get in the way.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, trt131 said:

I am not sure why you think putting someone on ignore is some kind of punishment.  If you dont want to read a post just skip it.  So many times I have read people's threat to put a   poster on ignore as if it was some big deal.  Its all very childish and reminds me of the way kindergarten kids act.

It's not childish, it simply saves wasting a few milliseconds of the brief time I have on this planet on unmitigated bullshit. It's not about the troll, it's about my precious time.  

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, kenergy said:

It's not childish, it simply saves wasting a few milliseconds of the brief time I have on this planet on unmitigated bullshit. It's not about the troll, it's about my precious time.  

Saves a shit load of digits too.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, trt131 said:

I don't think it's a punishment.

I do think certain posters simply spam bullshit all day every day and the forum is far more pleasant without their input.

To put that statement in perspective, I only have about 4 people on ignore in 13 years of being here and I am pretty sure 3 of them are probably just the same person with different names.

• Like 3

I guess the other side of the discussion is that you only want to read post that have your point of view.  Its healthy to read another angle to a discussion even if it is trolling.

33 minutes ago, trt131 said:

Its healthy to read another angle to a discussion even if it is trolling.

Depends on your level of hypertension, I'd suggest. Definitely unhealthy for me, so I don't.

Although strangely, for a short while, I confess I couldn't resist a sneaky look at a newly blocked poster's shit. Happy to say I'm mostly over that now too. ;-)

6 hours ago, trt131 said:

I guess the other side of the discussion is that you only want to read post that have your point of view.  Its healthy to read another angle to a discussion even if it is trolling.

If it was say once a day yeah maybe... hence why a lot of people I disagree with a not on ignore.

But when every thread is filled with the same quite deliberately untrue and only posted for point of winding people up comments, well there seems very little point reading the same shit for a thousandth time when it was still shit after the previous 999 times.

17 hours ago, trt131 said:

I am unabashedly critical of this AC and ETNZ. Before this summer, I didn't care about any of it. But I found SailGP and started talking about how good it was here in the Circus thread and was immediately jumped by many of the goofs you see posting above. And that's cool. I can handle myself just fine.

But it was the incredibly cynical and petty stuff they were saying about the past ACs, and the ridiculously self-righteous stuff they were saying about their own country's efforts that prompted me to look more deeply behind the curtain of AC36. The more I looked, the worse it got. You only have to look at the actual evidence (the sponsors, the financial impact studies, the actual numbers vs those projected, the design of the boat, the vision for the YAC vs the business being done, etc.) to immediately see how bad it really is.

So, I call them out that stuff. Not that often - just when it gets beyond the pale around here. But I don't let it slide - ever. AC36 will be interesting to watch, but behind the scenes it is a complete #clownshow. That's why I'm pulling for NYYC. Another round of this in ETNZ's hands will actually kill the America's Cup.

That's not "trolling" - that's just truth. And these guys above are desperate to ignore that truth...while strangely and proudly telling everyone they are doing it. You can only say good things about AC36 around here according to the Kiwis.

I don't live by their rules.

18 hours ago, trt131 said:

you guess wrong. trolling and shitposting are the opposite of healthy discussion, they are intended to prevent healthy discussion. 

in this case, the shitposting is almost entirely due to a sadly very lonely, and quite unstable poster who suffers from mental health problems, and I would argue that your enabling of him actually is doing more damage to his fragile mind.

• Like 1

On 12/30/2019 at 12:04 PM, smackdaddy said:

You can try to falsely smear me all you want, Clean, it doesn't matter. You'll never find any racist comment from me in any post on any forum - or anywhere else. I know exactly who I am

So apply that to age and gender and you might be a nice  guy. Oh the horror...

19 minutes ago, NeedAClew said:

I'm not sure I follow. First of all, I have no idea the actual age or gender (or anything else) of virtually anyone around here - and I don't really care either way. I joke with everyone pretty even-handedly. It's a "sailing bar" after all.

You've implied here and there that you're a woman. If that's true (I've been privately told otherwise, but again don't care one way or the other), and if you have been offended by something I've said, show me what that was and why it offended - and then compare that to the longstanding view and treatment of women by Sailing Anarchy itself. After all, you're a long time member here so your tolerance must be pretty high - and whatever I've said must therefore be quite egregious.

Then maybe we'll talk.

30 minutes ago, smackdaddy said:

You've implied here and there that you're a woman. If that's true (I've been privately told otherwise, but again don't care one way or the other), and if you have been offended by something I've said, show me what that was and why it offended - and then compare that to the longstanding view and treatment of women by Sailing Anarchy itself. After all, you're a long time member here so your tolerance must be pretty high - and whatever I've said must therefore be quite egregious.

Then maybe we'll talk.

Whoever "privately told" you otherwise, I suggest you reassess their reliability. I am female and old as dirt at that. 

IIRC, my impression was there was a tendency to let males drone one but females be told they were droning on.  If that's not your style, be aware.

IIRC you don't use the c*word. That's a good thing.

I am not sure how I went from the helpful Drunk App Chick to archfiend but whatevers. 

PS age? Well talk of oldsters being out of it. One day we all get old if we are lucky.

Edited by NeedAClew
Ps
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, NeedAClew said:

You're wasting your time... this individual is so ignorant they can't even see their own bigotry, and so arrogant they have no ability to introspect - I guess it must be scary to consider what would be found...

2 minutes ago, rh3000 said:

You're wasting your time... this individual is so ignorant they can't even see their own bigotry, and so arrogant they have no ability to introspect - I guess it must be scary to consider what would be found...

I guess. Sad though.

Well, let's be careful with the "IIRC" stuff. If you're going to accuse, you need to provide the actual evidence. You don't get a pass on that.

1 hour ago, NeedAClew said:

Whoever "privately told" you otherwise, I suggest you reassess their reliability. I am female and old as dirt at that. 

Fair enough. I got a PM about it. As I said, it doesn't matter to me one way or the other. I'm very much about equal opportunity in a good old make-believe "bar fight on a forum". If you wanna get aggro, we get aggro. If not, we don't. It's that simple...and always has been with me.

IIRC, my impression was there was a tendency to let males drone one but females be told they were droning on.  If that's not your style, be aware.

Go back and look at what I wrote. Your "IIRC impression" is wrong. That comment was directed at both you and Clean - and many others who do the same thing herein. Again, equal opportunity. So I'm not going to "be aware" of anything. Per the above, there's no reason to be. This is a sailing forum where insults and put-downs reign supreme as everyone who has any awareness whatsoever already knows full well. And that's exactly as it should be. If you, or anyone else, wants special protection against what is (and has always been) clearly done in good fun (for the most part) and fits perfectly into the long history of sailors being sailors, then you need to find a different hobby and place to discuss it. For example, I have never, not once, hassled anyone, regardless of gender, on a knitting or pen-making forum.

IIRC you don't use the c*word. That's a good thing.

I try to keep my own posting to something I'm not ashamed of my kids seeing. I'll go hard after anyone around here if they want to get aggro as you've clearly seen - but if I wouldn't say it in real life I won't say it here. And I'll never get truly personal as Clean has done. It's just not right.

I am not sure how I went from the helpful Drunk App Chick to archfiend but whatevers. 

You need to go back and look at that. You are the one that mentioned your inebriation in a post right around that time. And I don't see you by any means as an "archfiend". As I said above, I just communicate with you how you communicate with me. Sometimes we agree, many times we don't. If your claws come out don't expect me to compliment you on the nail polish. Also, I don't talk about you "behind your back" like you do me, and I don't follow you around to every thread you post in hassling you like Clean does with me. So, let's not get too dramatic here. You need to maintain a consistent set of rules if you're going to insist on applying them to others.

Also, I have never had anyone "on ignore". I'm not that tender. If I don't want to see their stuff, I don't look.

PS age? Well talk of oldsters being out of it. One day we all get old if we are lucky.

Oldsters are out of it. That's the way life - and especially competitive sailing - works. And it's especially bad if those oldsters insist that their ways of yesteryear are superior to what's happening today - especially in areas where it's demonstrably untrue. THAT'S what I was specifically responding to. And I'll keep doing it. It all depends on how that "oldster" drones on.

37 minutes ago, smackdaddy said:

Well, let's be careful with the "IIRC" stuff. If you're going to accuse, you need to provide the actual evidence. You don't get a pass on that.

Next time I will be sure to take a screenshot. It is there last year somewhere but next time linky or it didn't happen. Learned that from kiwis last year. Forgot to take notes. Btw you never provided evidence of my alleged perfidy threatening to out you. Which I never did as you know.

Do you think "sailors being sailors" is benign characterization like "locker room talk?

I don't  have kids, likely to die of coronavirus anyway. Whatevers. Sailing will be sailing long after I am flushed.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, NeedAClew said:

Next time I will be sure to take a screenshot. It is there last year somewhere but next time linky or it didn't happen. Learned that from kiwis last year. Forgot to take notes. Btw you never provided evidence of my alleged perfidy threatening to out you. Which I never did as you know.

Do you think "sailors being sailors" is benign characterization like "locker room talk?

I don't  have kids, likely to die of coronavirus anyway. Whatevers. Sailing will be sailing long after I am flushed.

"Boys will be boys" you know :blink:

Oh, please stay for a loooong while longer! 

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, NeedAClew said:

You did. Whether you knew it or not is another matter. I'll assume you didn't know and it was just a coincidence. But it was a hell of a coincidence. And, obviously, I'm not going to publicly point it out again.

I don't really know what that comparison means. I do think context has a lot to do with any conversation. Here we're all conversing publicly and equally - as ANONYMOUS sailors. And this is not, nor has it ever been, a "PC" kind of place. That's the context. If you or any woman is crew on a competitive racing boat with a mixture of men and women, how do you expect to be treated? I hope you say "equally". That's the way it should be.

So, like I say, the context is important. If you or any other woman here has a beef in this regard - your first target probably needs to be SA itself. That's the boat we're all on. What are its rules about "political correctness"? Does it comport with your views of "propriety"?

In any regard, as we've seen, I've not personally made any comments here or elsewhere that cross that line.

^Coupla things. My "quote" function not working for some reason.

1. The outing threat. I have thought about it a LOT.  It has bothered me because of the unfairness and/or misunderstanding. All I can think of is that I think ( am not sure since I don't keep messages) I read something you posted, googled, saw who you are irl, and might have sent you a private message saying to be careful with what you post if you want to be anonymous. It would have been a caution. If you read it as a threat, well, you were mistaken. I was angry you did not admit the mistake and take it back after you made the public allegation some time later when actual outings were taking place. 

Sometimes claws are just in the eye of the beholder.

2.  "EQUAL TREATMENT." Generally speaking, a lot of insults on SA are of the "you exhibit female characteristics" variety. You know...the c word, pussy, pearl clutcher (don't make me go look but I know you say that), or whatever.  Is that equal treatment? Please explain. Or is it equal because men are insulted with female characterizations and there are not enough women to get called dickless often enough to notice? Just a puzzlement. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, NeedAClew said:

Most of us have politely ignored Smack for a long time, I recommend the same for you.  

• Like 1

Okay, last post for me on this subject then I'm going back to sailing...

24 minutes ago, NeedAClew said:

^Coupla things. My "quote" function not working for some reason.

1. The outing threat. I have thought about it a LOT.  It has bothered me because of the unfairness and/or misunderstanding. All I can think of is that I think ( am not sure since I don't keep messages) I read something you posted, googled, saw who you are irl, and might have sent you a private message saying to be careful with what you post if you want to be anonymous. It would have been a caution. If you read it as a threat, well, you were mistaken. I was angry you did not admit the mistake and take it back after you made the public allegation some time later when actual outings were taking place.

Sometimes claws are just in the eye of the beholder.

No, it wasn't a PM. And I'm fully aware people can search "Smackdaddy" and find plenty of info if they really want to spend the time getting past the pizza joint. It's the same with many posters around here that have a long history in the "world of sailing".

It's that person's intent for doing so, however, and what they do with that information that matters. Are they trying to really somehow "damage" their target in real life? If so, why would they do that? There's apparently a "strict rule" around here about not outing people (though it's obviously very selectively applied). And that's a good rule. We're all here for fun as anonymous posters. And that's a good thing. There's no reason to search each other out beyond that as far as I'm concerned. Deal with the persona on the forum however you want. That should be enough. If it's not, there's something wrong - and you might be taking it all too personally.

So, you admit that you found personal info and I'm telling you that you were saying things at the time that certainly seemed to show that. Again, whether you knew it or not, I don't know. But I'm just telling you it was not a mistake on my end. And you'll just have to trust me on that.

So, nuff said.

2.  "EQUAL TREATMENT." Generally speaking, a lot of insults on SA are of the "you exhibit female characteristics" variety. You know...the c word, pussy, pearl clutcher (don't make me go look but I know you say that), or whatever.  Is that equal treatment? Please explain. Or is it equal because men are insulted with female characterizations and there are not enough women to get called dickless often enough to notice? Just a puzzlement. 

Again, you need to take that up with SA. That's my point. Don't project all that onto me because I've not said anything like that...and you know it.

1. I admit to using Google. Take it up with them.

What I found I never mentioned or alluded to. Or told anyone. You'll just have to trust ME on that.

Unless...you DO have or were seeking a job or contract with LE/Oracle or RC/SGP? Well, your post blitzing was rather suggestive. If my snark remarks about your persona hit home, take it up with your self editor.  

2. You do say clutch pearls. Man up and own it. Who does that? The stereotype older woman.   Or debutante. Hey, maybe you mean I am young and rich. Ok I'll take that. 

Heh.

Done. May karma have mercy on us all in this time of plague.

209dc46ddd9d0eb7ff0dd0094f81c99c.png

59 minutes ago, NeedAClew said:

2. You do say clutch pearls. Man up and own it. Who does that? The stereotype older woman.   Or debutante. Hey, maybe you mean I am young and rich. Ok I'll take that.

Okay, this one is too ironic to pass up. Of course I said it. It was the right analogy as defined below.

Now to your question of who says it?

The phrase pearl clutching, which means being shocked by something once-salacious that should now be seen as commonplace, like sex, is ubiquitous on blog posts, especially in media geared towards women. For instance, a recent post on Jezebel called Girl Land author Caitlin Flanagan a “professional pearl clutcher.” Less than two hours later, another Jezebel writer called a sexy Calvin Klein ad “sure to inspire pearl-clutch-y local news stories across the nation.” The feminist website Feministe used the phrase in a blog post about privilege and oppression; another feminist website, Tiger Beatdown, used it to deride a Wall Street Journal writer who was panicking about the subject matter of YA novels. But the phrase isn’t just used in the lady blogosophere: A Washington Post columnist wrote dismissively last week about the “pearl-clutching that hippies’ parents did in the 1960s.” Basically, a writer who discusses pearl-clutching is saying, “I’m too blasé and worldly to be shocked by this.”

I'm definitely too blasé about the world of sailing to be shocked by anything as you might have noticed - and apparently I'm a proud feminist to boot. Who knew?

Now, I am seriously done with this conversation that has nothing to do with sailing.

Back to bashing KiWhingersTM about their #ClownShow.

it would be nice to see a class like this in the olympics

it may stir a little more interest in sailing in general

Wow - egg on some faces huh. A good thing for sailing IMHO.

Let's not get ahead of ourselves, mate...we've seen this before...

NOVEMBER 18, 2018: 8 NEW NOTICES OF CHALLENGE RECEIVED

“We are really encouraged by the level of interest that has been shown from around the world by the number of notices of challenge that have been lodged by today’s deadline,” said Emirates Team New Zealand CEO Grant Dalton.

“It has been a long time coming, but worthwhile to give potential teams every opportunity to enter what will be a huge global event for New Zealand. However, we must remain cautious and not jump to conclusions on the final number of teams. It is only when the acceptance process has been completed that we will know how many will compete in the Prada Cup alongside Luna Rossa, American Magic & INEOS Team UK.” 

You guys should listen to Grant, because in the end, that "8" actually ended up being 0.

ZERO.

Declarations and press releases are cheap. The only number that matters is the actual teams on the line on race day.

I recommend you tender KiWhingersTM not read that article. It will just make you sad. Oh, and I like mine sunny-side-up, with toast and bacon. Chop-chop.

Mate, that is getting a little desperate and disengenious. Try a glass half full as opposed to empty. Fact is some said, no one (or very few) would even sign on. Whereas it seems (to me at least) that a surprisingly high number of teams have signed up.

Simply take somethign positive from that step. Yep they might not all make it to the start - something which happens in plenty of regatta's, and/or one or two extra's might make it that are late signing up. Which happens in plenty of regattas also.

We are talking about the Youth AC. Think of the children .... :) 

13 minutes ago, MR.CLEAN said:

that's a big font

Its invisible to me.

its called deflection

the defense of those proven palpably wrong so have to resort to troll like aspersions in an effort to avert the attention away from their earlier statements that have been proven wrong and baseless .. anyone know anyone else that doubles down when caught in obvious falsehoods ?

and if its wasnt for your mangina being so regularly subjected to abuse you would be lucky to get away with your pretend eggs getting away unfertilized let alone sunny side up

11 hours ago, PJB said:

Mate, that is getting a little desperate and disengenious. Try a glass half full as opposed to empty. Fact is some said, no one (or very few) would even sign on. Whereas it seems (to me at least) that a surprisingly high number of teams have signed up.

Simply take somethign positive from that step. Yep they might not all make it to the start - something which happens in plenty of regatta's, and/or one or two extra's might make it that are late signing up. Which happens in plenty of regattas also.

We are talking about the Youth AC. Think of the children .... :) 

There are nothing but desperately overflowing glasses in these threads - primarily from the Kiwis. I simply inject a bit of reality here and there - actually based on facts like I just did above. And this is deemed "trolling". Heh.

So, what we know is that this YAC is in a boat that has virtually no relevance to the actual AC75 (unlike the past events), it is a boat/foil configuration that we've long seen in offshore racing but is very questionable as to its application to foiling inshore fleet/match racing (is anyone - even the pros - going to get this 100% flight time the KiWhingers are so concerned with?), and the YAC has almost doubled in price from previous iterations just to get in - not to mention the incredible logistical costs due to the event locations.

In other words, the same financial pressures that took that 8 to 0 above are now being foisted on these poor children. The adults are saying "Let's do it!" Forthemselves - but when the time comes to write that check, let's regroup and do another count.

However, we must remain cautious and not jump to conclusions on the final number of teams.

Until then...8=0. That's what has been mathematically proven by the Emiratis thus far.

14 hours ago, Forourselves said:

Haha @smackdaddy whats that I hear?? You were wrong - AGAIN?? this is becoming a trend with you lol

Not really, a trend implies he was once upon a time right.  He has been trolling since day zip and never cared for the truth from the start.

He's our very own virtual Donald Trump.

3 hours ago, RMac said:

Seriously going to hang wire off that rig?

Nah. They’re just fucking with us. 

3 hours ago, RMac said:

Seriously going to hang wire off that rig?

Looks like a 1970's Javelin from that shot above...

5 hours ago, smackdaddy said:

There are nothing but desperately overflowing glasses in these threads - primarily from the Kiwis. I simply inject a bit of reality here and there 

Not sure what you inject, but, it's not reality....

There are nothing but desperately overflowing glasses in these threads - primarily from the Kiwis. I simply inject a bit of trump reality here and there - actually based on facts like I just did above. And this is deemed "trolling". Heh.

fify

52 minutes ago, NZL3481 said:

Not sure what you inject, but, it's not reality....

We'll see. Show me 15 at the line and I'll be impressed. Right now, per the facts, the reality is 8=0 as I said.

28 minutes ago, Forourselves said:

^^No one cares if you're impressed or not.

ohhhha

there goes my lifes ambition

11 minutes ago, Forourselves said:
21 minutes ago, phill_nz said:

ohhhha

there goes my lifes ambition

Was meant for @smackdaddy

but impressing him was my life's ambition

• Like 1

We'll see. Show me 15 at the line and I'll be impressed. Right now, per the facts, the reality is 8=0 as I said.

It's clear the simplest tasks are difficult for you, but again I suggest that I'm not sure what you inject, but, it's not reality....

There will be 15 or whatever signed up and competing but not all "at the line" at once because it's supplied boats. They share them. 

45 minutes ago, NeedAClew said:

There will be 15 or whatever signed up and competing but not all "at the line" at once because it's supplied boats. They share them. 

True. I believe they're building 7 boats? Regardless, every participating team will have to show up at the line, no?

The track record thus far for AC36 in this area is 8 initially claimed, 0 at the line. So I'm certainly not banking on 15. We'll see.

As was mentioned previously, you have the same model with the 69F Cup which built 6 boats so teams could participate without having to buy a boat. What are the numbers there? And how many youth?

3 hours ago, NeedAClew said:

There you go, injecting reality again.