shanghaisailor

Youth America's Cup

Jeez, Woolfy, you sure do scream for attention. So I'll give you a little...

50 minutes ago, Woolfy said:

You're right Clean, this guy definately has issues.

Can't even recall what they said 4 posts previously. :rolleyes:

I think you're referring to this statement I made to Shang:

"It remains to be seen how SailGP will do in the upcoming seasons, and more to the point of appeal to youth, how the Inspire program will play out. But there are FAR more corollary classes and events for the SailGP direction (which don't cost $250K) than even remotely what you're seeing here with the AC9F/YAC. "

You then said this:

"You've wound your neck in about SailGP and seem to now conceed that perhaps the business model won't work (some might say in true troll fashion) and seem to accept the fact that you could be wrong about the youth AC and it could well succeed. Yet you still pour scorn on the youth event whilst grandstanding about the GP, can't you just wish both events well? "

You clearly are not understanding what you are reading...so...

As I already said above, I've not "wound my neck in" at all regarding SailGP's business model. I think it's a very good one (and just posted a related F1 article in that thread showing some reasons why). My "conceeding" [sic] that "it remains to be seen" how that model will play out in the upcoming seasons is simply being rational and objective - because it's simply true. But that's the problem - rationality and objectivity equals "trolling" in this rabid-fanboy-forum...

cf4ecff19343b94f5911cd5c3ad8bf631493b898

So I will say it again so that you might finally understand it. I fully believe SailGP (and its Inspire program) will be successful because the fundamentals are there. I also fully believe that the YAC in its current configuration will fail because the fundamentals are not there.

And in both cases, the outcome remains to be seen.

Logic doesn't have to be scary.

Am I the only one on this forum that's got a really annoying garbling sound going on in the background?

Kinda like the village idiot is sitting in the corner of the room.

6 hours ago, Woolfy said:

Am I the only one on this forum that's got a really annoying garbling sound going on in the background?

Kinda like the village idiot is sitting in the corner of the room.

Yeah it's just you, everyone what has turned on ignore :-)

• Like 4

Smack I guess the YAC simply doesn’t matter too much. But if they can make it work great. 
I’m fairly sure GD has one objective and one only. Retain the AC. The YAC isn’t his gig. And nor should it be. 

my first AC was Freo. With a healthy number of challengers and defenders prospects.it was a blast  Remember when there was more than one defender prospect ?  Not that it did the Australuans much good.
I’d love there to be more participants this time around but let’s face it. In today’s gimme gimme gimme world even the billionaires attention spans have shortened. 
no doubt a regatta in NZ isn’t worth as much as it might be in more populated parts of the world. But they won. Others tried and didn’t so it is what it is and it’s in NZ  and let’s also agree the boats that some decried work  so far  with how they go in an AC yet to be determined  there is something cool about something so different  I think  

if nz win again I’m 100% sure there’ll be another AC in NZ. As to how many compete that is the Challengers problem. Or perhaps opportunity? but I’m equally sure there will be some. 

happy NY

• Like 1

And kudos to the Kiwis for defending on their own country's home waters, not in some other country with better time zone placement or cash incentives or whatever.  

Seriously. 

• Like 7

2 hours ago, NeedAClew said:

And kudos to the Kiwis for defending on their own country's home waters, not in some other country with better time zone placement or cash incentives or whatever.  

Seriously. 

Happy New Year to you, having a clue about stuff. :D

• Like 1

11 hours ago, PJB said:

Smack I guess the YAC simply doesn’t matter too much. But if they can make it work great. 
I’m fairly sure GD has one objective and one only. Retain the AC. The YAC isn’t his gig. And nor should it be. 

my first AC was Freo. With a healthy number of challengers and defenders prospects.it was a blast  Remember when there was more than one defender prospect ?  Not that it did the Australuans much good.
I’d love there to be more participants this time around but let’s face it. In today’s gimme gimme gimme world even the billionaires attention spans have shortened. 
no doubt a regatta in NZ isn’t worth as much as it might be in more populated parts of the world. But they won. Others tried and didn’t so it is what it is and it’s in NZ  and let’s also agree the boats that some decried work  so far  with how they go in an AC yet to be determined  there is something cool about something so different  I think  

if nz win again I’m 100% sure there’ll be another AC in NZ. As to how many compete that is the Challengers problem. Or perhaps opportunity? but I’m equally sure there will be some. 

happy NY

HNY to you too, PJB.

I agree that this YAC is definitely a side project. It shows. And that's really the underlying point I'm making. So I think we agree there. As for the AC75, it's new. I'll concede that to you.

At the end of the day, I'm obviously pulling for ETNZ to get wildly humiliated in the finals - by NYYC. It would just be too delicious to see DB wallop them and have PB in tears. The Schadenfreude would be thick in the air.

Regardless of the outcome, it should all be fun to watch.

Cheers.

18 hours ago, PJB said:

happy NY

In AC30 11 challengers  gathered in NZ but that was before the dotcom bubble burst so....

On 1/2/2020 at 8:04 AM, smackdaddy said:

HNY to you too, PJB.

I agree that this YAC is definitely a side project. It shows. And that's really the underlying point I'm making. So I think we agree there. As for the AC75, it's new. I'll concede that to you.

At the end of the day, I'm obviously pulling for ETNZ to get wildly humiliated in the finals - by NYYC. It would just be too delicious to see DB wallop them and have PB in tears. The Schadenfreude would be thick in the air.

Regardless of the outcome, it should all be fun to watch.

Cheers.

I hope you're not a gambling man. 

On 12/12/2019 at 2:30 PM, t_huebs said:

Seem similar to the 69F that was in Seahorse recently?

https://wilson-marquinez.com/69f/

From FareVela,

https://farevela.net/2020/02/14/persico-marine-costruira-in-serie-il-monofoil-69f-e-arriva-anche-il-circuito/

Persico is series building the 69F, and a racing circuit has already been organized making its debut at Cagliari during the ACWS

Pipped the Kiwi contraption, if you ask me

On 1/4/2020 at 10:03 PM, kenergy said:

I hope you're not a gambling man. 

FFS, keep that rubbish to yourself, please!

3 hours ago, Fiji Bitter said:

FFS, keep that rubbish to yourself, please!

That rubbish is now invisible to me, it's a more enjoyable experience now. 

• Like 1

https://www.sail-world.com/news/226844/Youth-Americas-Cup-Ten-teams-entered-to-date?fbclid=IwAR1YMjsz0wct6yK2dIpwXy91ITzI_GmZeG9_v3jIQab7yDVagqCue6tbSzo

Strong global interest in 2021 Youth America's Cup

by Emirates Team NZ/RNZYS/China Sports Industry Group 25 Feb 00:39 NZDT12 December 2019

yysw281384.jpg
  • Like 2

Just now, rh3000 said:

So already bigger than SGP then?

Awkward...

Especially since the talk from @Tornado-Cat and @smackdaddy about the cost of entering. Australia already has a confirmed team in the competition, as does NZ, Meanwhile SailGP Team Australia is still trying to find a sponsor and Coutts still can't put a Kiwi team together, even though ETNZ won the AC in the AC50's, meanwhile NZ is defending the AC, has a team in the Youth AC, and has a NZ entry in the Ocean Race! 

2 hours ago, Forourselves said:

d Coutts still can't put a Kiwi team together, even though ETNZ won the AC in the AC50'

Be fair, wuss has two years to pimp his show. Who knows, maybe kk shaking her booty

Anyone know of wuss has actually.breaded

On 2/18/2020 at 7:13 AM, Xlot said:

From FareVela,

https://farevela.net/2020/02/14/persico-marine-costruira-in-serie-il-monofoil-69f-e-arriva-anche-il-circuito/

Persico is series building the 69F, and a racing circuit has already been organized making its debut at Cagliari during the ACWS

Pipped the Kiwi contraption, if you ask me

Yeah, going to be a little confusing when the 69F pops up at Cagliari and does a series then the "youth series" in very similar boats is a different thing.

4 hours ago, t_huebs said:

Yeah, going to be a little confusing when the 69F pops up at Cagliari and does a series then the "youth series" in very similar boats is a different thing.

Maybe. Although from the early construction photo's from RG, the AC9F looks a lot different to the 69F

Interesting article on the YAC: "Opportunity for those that can afford it", and how it's already falling apart before it even gets started. First of all, even though the Emiratis are claiming space for "up to 20 teams", they are only building 7 AC9Fs. More importantly, they've almost doubled the entry fee over what it was in 2017 and added the huge travel expenses for their far-flung venues. Also, as anyone can plainly see, the AC9F is nothing like the AC75 - unlike the foiling AC45s in the 2017 edition. So broader cross-over for these YAC teams is virtually zero. Great ROI, eh?

AND THIS IS IMPORTANT BECAUSE...

..the previous YAC that the Emiratis didn't run helped develop and produce its current crop of talent. Go figure.

Well at least all the boats will be the same was surprised by what Kirby said about their league's wings inception to SF.

Well, that remains to be seen regarding the AC9Fs - obviously. Otherwise, what do RK and F50 wings have to do with the YAC issues we're discussing here?

14 minutes ago, smackdaddy said:

First of all, even though the Emiratis are claiming space for "up to 20 teams", they are only building 7 AC9Fs

It's match racing in same design boats - they don't need 20 boats for 20 teams.

smack doesn't know what match racing is.  he occasionally sails on a cruising cat and has no idea how to race.  it's one of his endearing qualities.  like the word 'heh'.

12 minutes ago, Horn Rock said:

It's match racing in same design boats - they don't need 20 boats for 20 teams.

You're missing the point. At this rate, they won't even need 7 boats...kind of like the main event.

PS - I suppose your Emiratis' own press release has it wrong too?

The multi-leg event will begin with a fleet racing seeding event in China in November 2020 and then a match racing event in Auckland from February 18th- 23rd 2021 with the finals held between March 8th- 12th 2021 right outside the RNZYS in the shadow of Auckland’s iconic Harbour Bridge.

7 minutes ago, smackdaddy said:

a fleet racing seeding event

Seven boats does constitute a fleet. For 20 teams they just run 3 races.

1 hour ago, smackdaddy said:

Well, that remains to be seen regarding the AC9Fs - obviously. Otherwise, what do RK and F50 wings have to do with the YAC issues we're discussing here?

The point is truly identical boats for YAC. Go reread the RK interview you quoted from. The Season 1 thru S2 Sydney boats have different wings and wing control mechanisms. Or so your hero said. They got Artemis 1, could not fully adjust on fly. 

40 minutes ago, Horn Rock said:

Seven boats does constitute a fleet. For 20 teams they just run 3 races.

Heh. Dancing now?

We'll have to see how many races they actually run...and how many boats are actually used.

Clew - I read it. My point stands. Nothing is done yet for this upcoming YAC. It's just talk - while everything around it crumbles. And time is getting tight. And this still has nothing to do with your circus.

7 hours ago, smackdaddy said:

Interesting article on the YAC: "Opportunity for those that can afford it", and how it's already falling apart before it even gets started. First of all, even though the Emiratis are claiming space for "up to 20 teams", they are only building 7 AC9Fs. More importantly, they've almost doubled the entry fee over what it was in 2017 and added the huge travel expenses for their far-flung venues. Also, as anyone can plainly see, the AC9F is nothing like the AC75 - unlike the foiling AC45s in the 2017 edition. So broader cross-over for these YAC teams is virtually zero. Great ROI, eh?

AND THIS IS IMPORTANT BECAUSE...

..the previous YAC that the Emiratis didn't run helped develop and produce its current crop of talent. Go figure.

You're an idiot. They have to have space because the entry period hasn't closed yet genius. They're only building 7 because they're going to alternate the crews in and out of the boats which means teams don't have to buy a boat. Just as they did with the Louis Vuitton Pacific Series when they alternated crews in and out of the Oracle, ETNZ, Mascalzone, K-Challenge, Origin and Mascalzone boats.

The AC9 is a foiling mono is it not? Remember the first iteration of the AC45's did not foil and they were used for the RBYAC and the crew who won that year (NZL Sailing team) The Team led by Burling and Tuke crossed over easily and ended up winning the Cup in Bermuda. 

So Shut up, because none of what you said is true. NONE.

@smackdaddy and it wasn;'t the previous YAC that developed the current crop of talent...it was the fucking Olympics moron! The YAC was a stepping stone for the current Cup holders, but it was the Olympics that developed that team, not the YAC. The YAC was an opportunity for those successful Olympians to get involved with an AC team, but it had NOTHING to do with the development of the current crop.

17 minutes ago, Forourselves said:

@smackdaddy and it wasn;'t the previous YAC that developed the current crop of talent...it was the fucking Olympics moron! The YAC was a stepping stone for the current Cup holders, but it was the Olympics that developed that team, not the YAC. The YAC was an opportunity for those successful Olympians to get involved with an AC team, but it had NOTHING to do with the development of the current crop.

Do I believe a blathering idiot on a sailing forum who has repeatedly been shown by most everyone to be wrong 90%+ of the time, or do I believe someone who actually knows what they are talking about? From the article...

Promoted as a stepping stone to the next level, it has been that, best exemplified by 2013 youth winners Peter Burling, Blair Tuke, and Andy Maloney going on in 2017 to effectively defend the America’s Cup. But while it proves to be a valued opportunity for the up and comer, what the Youth America’s Cup has never been is cheap.

You just keep proving how little you understand about all this, Four. But keep at it. It's entertaining.

At the end of the day, OTUSA directly developed their own defeat - precisely because it was moving everything toward a single foiling AC50 platform for everyone across the board - leveling the playing field while bringing down costs. That's admirable. You Emiratis, on the other hand, are keeping the sailing youth down by pricing them out of the game while at the same time making them sail a completely inferior boat that has virtually no relevance to the real deal. I guess that's one way to try to keep the cup, but it's pretty douchey.

PS - As for the entry period, 4 days left and we'll see about this "fleet racing" of "20 teams".

17 hours ago, Forourselves said:

You're an idiot. They have to have space because the entry period hasn't closed yet genius. They're only building 7 because they're going to alternate the crews in and out of the boats which means teams don't have to buy a boat. Just as they did with the Louis Vuitton Pacific Series when they alternated crews in and out of the Oracle, ETNZ, Mascalzone, K-Challenge, Origin and Mascalzone boats.

The AC9 is a foiling mono is it not? Remember the first iteration of the AC45's did not foil and they were used for the RBYAC and the crew who won that year (NZL Sailing team) The Team led by Burling and Tuke crossed over easily and ended up winning the Cup in Bermuda. 

So Shut up, because none of what you said is true. NONE.

It's almost worth unignoring him just to reply to that one, it's literally so ripe for the picking it's less a low hanging fruit and more one that has already fallen on the ground. 

I'm not sure there is a correct a statement in the entire thing.

Honestly though just pop him on ignore, the forums suddenly get a lot more pleasant without the  incessant,monotonous, semi racist, factually incorrect, trolling.