shanghaisailor

Youth America's Cup

Jeez, Woolfy, you sure do scream for attention. So I'll give you a little...

50 minutes ago, Woolfy said:

You're right Clean, this guy definately has issues.

Can't even recall what they said 4 posts previously. :rolleyes:

I think you're referring to this statement I made to Shang:

"It remains to be seen how SailGP will do in the upcoming seasons, and more to the point of appeal to youth, how the Inspire program will play out. But there are FAR more corollary classes and events for the SailGP direction (which don't cost $250K) than even remotely what you're seeing here with the AC9F/YAC. "

You then said this:

"You've wound your neck in about SailGP and seem to now conceed that perhaps the business model won't work (some might say in true troll fashion) and seem to accept the fact that you could be wrong about the youth AC and it could well succeed. Yet you still pour scorn on the youth event whilst grandstanding about the GP, can't you just wish both events well? "

You clearly are not understanding what you are reading...so...

As I already said above, I've not "wound my neck in" at all regarding SailGP's business model. I think it's a very good one (and just posted a related F1 article in that thread showing some reasons why). My "conceeding" [sic] that "it remains to be seen" how that model will play out in the upcoming seasons is simply being rational and objective - because it's simply true. But that's the problem - rationality and objectivity equals "trolling" in this rabid-fanboy-forum...

cf4ecff19343b94f5911cd5c3ad8bf631493b898

So I will say it again so that you might finally understand it. I fully believe SailGP (and its Inspire program) will be successful because the fundamentals are there. I also fully believe that the YAC in its current configuration will fail because the fundamentals are not there.

And in both cases, the outcome remains to be seen.

Logic doesn't have to be scary.

Am I the only one on this forum that's got a really annoying garbling sound going on in the background?

Kinda like the village idiot is sitting in the corner of the room.

6 hours ago, Woolfy said:

Am I the only one on this forum that's got a really annoying garbling sound going on in the background?

Kinda like the village idiot is sitting in the corner of the room.

Yeah it's just you, everyone what has turned on ignore :-)

• Like 4

Smack I guess the YAC simply doesn’t matter too much. But if they can make it work great. 
I’m fairly sure GD has one objective and one only. Retain the AC. The YAC isn’t his gig. And nor should it be. 

my first AC was Freo. With a healthy number of challengers and defenders prospects.it was a blast  Remember when there was more than one defender prospect ?  Not that it did the Australuans much good.
I’d love there to be more participants this time around but let’s face it. In today’s gimme gimme gimme world even the billionaires attention spans have shortened. 
no doubt a regatta in NZ isn’t worth as much as it might be in more populated parts of the world. But they won. Others tried and didn’t so it is what it is and it’s in NZ  and let’s also agree the boats that some decried work  so far  with how they go in an AC yet to be determined  there is something cool about something so different  I think  

if nz win again I’m 100% sure there’ll be another AC in NZ. As to how many compete that is the Challengers problem. Or perhaps opportunity? but I’m equally sure there will be some. 

happy NY

• Like 1

And kudos to the Kiwis for defending on their own country's home waters, not in some other country with better time zone placement or cash incentives or whatever.  

Seriously. 

• Like 7

2 hours ago, NeedAClew said:

And kudos to the Kiwis for defending on their own country's home waters, not in some other country with better time zone placement or cash incentives or whatever.  

Seriously. 

Happy New Year to you, having a clue about stuff. :D

• Like 1

11 hours ago, PJB said:

Smack I guess the YAC simply doesn’t matter too much. But if they can make it work great. 
I’m fairly sure GD has one objective and one only. Retain the AC. The YAC isn’t his gig. And nor should it be. 

my first AC was Freo. With a healthy number of challengers and defenders prospects.it was a blast  Remember when there was more than one defender prospect ?  Not that it did the Australuans much good.
I’d love there to be more participants this time around but let’s face it. In today’s gimme gimme gimme world even the billionaires attention spans have shortened. 
no doubt a regatta in NZ isn’t worth as much as it might be in more populated parts of the world. But they won. Others tried and didn’t so it is what it is and it’s in NZ  and let’s also agree the boats that some decried work  so far  with how they go in an AC yet to be determined  there is something cool about something so different  I think  

if nz win again I’m 100% sure there’ll be another AC in NZ. As to how many compete that is the Challengers problem. Or perhaps opportunity? but I’m equally sure there will be some. 

happy NY

HNY to you too, PJB.

I agree that this YAC is definitely a side project. It shows. And that's really the underlying point I'm making. So I think we agree there. As for the AC75, it's new. I'll concede that to you.

At the end of the day, I'm obviously pulling for ETNZ to get wildly humiliated in the finals - by NYYC. It would just be too delicious to see DB wallop them and have PB in tears. The Schadenfreude would be thick in the air.

Regardless of the outcome, it should all be fun to watch.

Cheers.

18 hours ago, PJB said:

happy NY

In AC30 11 challengers  gathered in NZ but that was before the dotcom bubble burst so....

On 1/2/2020 at 8:04 AM, smackdaddy said:

HNY to you too, PJB.

I agree that this YAC is definitely a side project. It shows. And that's really the underlying point I'm making. So I think we agree there. As for the AC75, it's new. I'll concede that to you.

At the end of the day, I'm obviously pulling for ETNZ to get wildly humiliated in the finals - by NYYC. It would just be too delicious to see DB wallop them and have PB in tears. The Schadenfreude would be thick in the air.

Regardless of the outcome, it should all be fun to watch.

Cheers.

I hope you're not a gambling man.