Willin'

Soooo, where do you move to when you bail on the USA?

43 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

No, I'm saying that is what the people who want to move away think.

I currently think - or at least hope it can be salvaged from the damage these "Republican" fanatics and assholes have done but my optimism is waning.

As I said recently IMO it will be determined by whether or not the shitstain gets re-elected. If he does I fear it may be over - the lowest levels of society will have won and Idiocracy will be the future for the USA.

Ya know, that movie was NOT supposed to be prophetic. but holly crap, that frickin' scary.

17 minutes ago, A guy in the Chesapeake said:

And Poland, and Canada apparently. 

Wait a minute, are you talking to me!!????  

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Ed Lada said:

Angry white guys all move to Idaho.  And build bunkers.

haven't seen anybody up there that's angry...besides it's mostly a giant lava field, flat, and the irrigation sprinklers run 24x7x365,  if you could corner the sprinkler head market you could be a billionaire in no time. ....      the angry assholes are in nevada..  it's warmer....    but seriously,  if low cost is your desire,  texas country side..   no income tax,  low property taxes if you live outside of town and there's plenty of  country neiman marcus's around (walmart)    i'd stay out of east texas, they're too inbred there..  you just need to drive a pickup truck and keep your mouth shut...

Perhaps a simple house swap for a year in a prospective city/country?

Get a feel for it first before any major commitment.

As for all of the chest thumping BS in this thread (why is it always Aus vs. USA?  An AC hangup from years ago?)

And why is it that the people that ANY country seems to export are always obnoxious examples of stereotypes?   I think these are the folks who just get noticed.  The "normal" easy going folks are not mentionable, and so go unnoticed.

Whenever I travel internationally I try hard to observe local customs and be hyper polite. 

There are some local people (USA) I know who are raging assholes, and I shudder to think of the damage they inflict when they travel internationally.   

On 12/17/2019 at 2:19 PM, Willin' said:

While I'm ever the optimist that good will prevail over evil in the long run, my wife and I have been so disappointed with the direction this country (USA) has been going for many years and especially so since Trump scaled the walls of decency. Where would you go if you thought enough was enough, time to vote with your feet and your retirement egg?

At the time we retired I was thinking seriously about Equador. Cool mountains, tropical beaches, US dollar is the currency and a buck stretches pretty far there, but since then have had second thoughts. The third world can be as scary as this one. We lived in NZ for 6 months a while back and loved it, but their current immigration policy has priced them out. 

One thing I know for sure... no more small islands, unfortunately ruling out Rarotonga, a place we love but were happy to leave after 5 weeks there.

Anyone given it any serious thought?

No place I'd rather be than in the Good Ole USA. I've lived in 2 different countries and 3 different states. I can get any Nationality of food here and I feel like I am in a foreign country just visiting different areas of my city.

The only thing pissing me off lately is the wacky leftist pussies classifying everyone as disabled and doctors handing out letters giving them the status like it is Opium. Old people are addicted to disabled parking and Age is the new standard for being disabled. Disabled parking has not increased and there is no where for me to park and go shopping unless I go at midnight or order online. 

Went to Walmart for the first time in over 10 years and I had to park almost to the other side of the lot because...........there was no way for me to deploy my lift unless I take 2 spots. You would not believe how many times I come close to getting mowed over by some asshole in a parking lot.

Just remember, as you start getting older, where would you rather be.

20191217_134952.thumb.jpg.8fccf22218c5b89a7de6152c72562669.jpg

27 minutes ago, Meat Wad said:

No place I'd rather be than in the Good Ole USA. I've lived in 2 different countries and 3 different states. I can get any Nationality of food here and I feel like I am in a foreign country just visiting different areas of my city.

The only thing pissing me off lately is the wacky leftist pussies classifying everyone as disabled and doctors handing out letters giving them the status like it is Opium. Old people are addicted to disabled parking and Age is the new standard for being disabled. Disabled parking has not increased and there is no where for me to park and go shopping unless I go at midnight or order online. 

Went to Walmart for the first time in over 10 years and I had to park almost to the other side of the lot because...........there was no way for me to deploy my lift unless I take 2 spots. You would not believe how many times I come close to getting mowed over by some asshole in a parking lot.

Just remember, as you start getting older, where would you rather be.

20191217_134952.thumb.jpg.8fccf22218c5b89a7de6152c72562669.jpg

I see your problem there, it's the palm trees.

You live in a place that doesn't get cold. The environment has lost the ability to weed out the riff-raff and the those with a weak constitution.

• Like 1

we are not all assholes over here..

A pool installation company owner in Florida has paid off the bills of 36 families who were in danger of losing power during the holiday season.

After receiving his own utility bill, Michael Esmond got the idea to "take a little bit of stress out" of the season for his neighbours.

He contacted the city of Gulf Breeze, where he lives, to ask about helping out everyone whose payment was overdue.

He says he was motivated by his own unheated holiday season years ago.

While paying his bill earlier this month, Mr Esmond, 73, said that he noticed that it read that the due date was 26 December and that supplies may be cut if not paid by then.

"I actually lived that back in the 1980s," he told WEAR-TV in nearby Pensacola. "I experienced the same thing, having trouble paying bills. My gas was shut off, and we had no heating for the whole winter."

In total, Mr Esmond paid $4,600  to help 36 families in his community of 6,000 residents.

• Like 4

29 minutes ago, Windward said:

why is it always Aus vs. USA?  An AC hangup from years ago?

Why?

Because New Zealand is the most British place on the planet, and Australia is the most American place on the planet.

Anything we do, they do better ... bigger football stadiums, more beers, barbecues that never get cold, plenty of guns, only half-assed America's Cup sailors who tend to embarrass themselves in front any Kiwi within eyeshot. They eat shitty food like us, watch shitty tv like us, curse like us, do drugs like us, and make annoying YouTube videos, like us.

So when us Yanks get to chest-beating like a gang of apes, which is what we tend to do ... then the Aussies are going to get to chest-thumping, shit-flinging, and competing against any other primate in the zoo.

And that'd be us.

1 minute ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

we are not all assholes over here..

Some of the best and most wonderful people in the world live among the palm trees.

It's just that the real pungent meatballs tend to set up shop in those climates and not take to the road. You gotta sift, in a place like you'rn.

If you let politicians wind you up to the point of insanity, left or right, you're giving them power they should never have. Read a book, give something to charity, have a quiet drink with the bride or girlfriend where you agree to not discuss politics. Remember why you have friends.

The politicians on both sides are chronic liars, I see little good in any of them, and find them boring beyond tears. the same lies over and over again from the same mouths. It really doesn't matter much, nor is it interesting any longer.

I told myself years ago that I would try to never lose a friend over politics. SFSG.

• Like 4

The OP said he wanted to leave for legal reasons, so if you kill someone with a triton you may want to consider these.:ph34r:

These countries currently have no extradition treaty with the United States: [2015]

Afghanistan, Algeria, Andorra, Angola, Armenia, Bahrain, Bangladesh, Belarus, Bosnia and

Herzegovina, Brunei, Burkina Faso, Burma, Burundi, Cambodia, Cameroon, Cape Verde, the Central

African Republic, Chad, Mainland China, Comoros, Congo (Kinshasa), Congo (Brazzaville), Djibouti, Equatorial

Guinea, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Gabon, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Indonesia, Ivory Coast, Kazakhstan,

Kosovo, Kuwait, Laos, Lebanon, Libya, Macedonia, Madagascar, Maldives, Mali, Marshall Islands,

Mauritania, Micronesia, Moldova, Mongolia, Montenegro, Morocco, Mozambique, Namibia, Nepal,

Niger, Oman, Qatar, Russia, Rwanda, Samoa, São Tomé & Príncipe, Saudi Arabia, Senegal, Serbia,

Somalia, Sudan, Syria, Togo, Tunisia, Uganda, Ukraine, United Arab Emirates, Uzbekistan, Vanuatu,

Vatican, Vietnam and Yemen.

Some real retirement havens there.

1 hour ago, Norse Horse said:

The OP said he wanted to leave for legal reasons, so if you kill someone with a triton you may want to consider these.:ph34r:

These countries currently have no extradition treaty with the United States: [2015]

Afghanistan, Algeria, Andorra, Angola, Armenia, Bahrain, Bangladesh, Belarus, Bosnia and

Herzegovina, Brunei, Burkina Faso, Burma, Burundi, Cambodia, Cameroon, Cape Verde, the Central

African Republic, Chad, Mainland China, Comoros, Congo (Kinshasa), Congo (Brazzaville), Djibouti, Equatorial

Guinea, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Gabon, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Indonesia, Ivory Coast, Kazakhstan,

Kosovo, Kuwait, Laos, Lebanon, Libya, Macedonia, Madagascar, Maldives, Mali, Marshall Islands,

Mauritania, Micronesia, Moldova, Mongolia, Montenegro, Morocco, Mozambique, Namibia, Nepal,

Niger, Oman, Qatar, Russia, Rwanda, Samoa, São Tomé & Príncipe, Saudi Arabia, Senegal, Serbia,

Somalia, Sudan, Syria, Togo, Tunisia, Uganda, Ukraine, United Arab Emirates, Uzbekistan, Vanuatu,

The Vatican would only be a good choice if you liked wearing a long dress and shagging little boys. So a bit of a limited market. :ph34r:

My accountant paid a bundle for a couple of weeks in the Maldives with his family so as long as they stay above water they might do.

38 minutes ago, Gissie said:

The Vatican would only be a good choice if you liked wearing a long dress and shagging little boys. So a bit of a limited market. :ph34r:

maybe is you quit shagging your mum , you wouldn't be so bitter..

2 minutes ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

What makes you think I am bitter. Never got involved with the roman shirtlifters. Those that did, through no choice of their own, certainly deserve to be bitter though.

As for stopping shagging my mum, even if I was into a bit of necrophilia, it would be a bit messy after 46 years.

2 hours ago, Norse Horse said:

Not seeing Tuvalu on that list.

I'd be willing to bet that if you are bringing cool stuff for his desk, the King there would be willing to work a deal.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, linaszuk said:

Ya know, that movie was NOT supposed to be prophetic. but holly crap, that frickin' scary.

I, apparently, do not type well.....

That's OK - we got the gist. :D

On 12/18/2019 at 9:03 PM, Norse Horse said:

2ce88fe616d352288036644270fb77117928706d61287adf56055e63cc99e453.jpg

You call that rain?!...Piffle!

Just returned from the pharmacy, drove thru an 8 inch deep puddle in the parking lot & had to put on dry socks & shoes after I got home.

Earlier this morning on my way back from a grocery run pulled into the in-laws to check the situation with Lyon Creek (good sized stream now) the bridge over that has been washed away a couple of times, never hurts to check.

Yeah, we do.

We get almost twice as much rain as Seattle. 60" VS 37.5"

5 hours ago, Norse Horse said:

The OP said he wanted to leave for legal reasons, so if you kill someone with a triton you may want to consider these.

Where did he write that?

On 12/19/2019 at 10:22 AM, Norse Horse said:

Saskatchewan.

It's a dry cold....

Fuck that. That's why I left.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Gissie said:

What makes you think I am bitter. Never got involved with the roman shirtlifters. Those that did, through no choice of their own, certainly deserve to be bitter though.

As for stopping shagging my mum, even if I was into a bit of necrophilia, it would be a bit messy after 46 years.

Nah. I think that'd well & truly fall squarely into the category of a dry root....

FKT

1 hour ago, SloopJonB said:

Yeah, we do.

We get 22". Some of it is happening as I speak.

Good day to be a duck in the PNW, too bad about the boat fire at Shilshoe.

FB_IMG_1576895902953.jpg

On 12/19/2019 at 9:09 PM, SloopJonB said:

Sorry to burst your bubble but there are a number of "Best places to live" ratings out there and the USA doesn't top any of them. Not even the ones done by American institutions.

Doesn't even make top 10 on many.

When I was a kid it was unquestionably the best - you led the whole world into the future in pretty much every way while virtually singlelhandedly keeping it safe.

Now you're not even keeping up. That's what all we lefty, commie, pinkos keep telling you but do you listen?

Noooooo.

Instead you think chanting USA, USA, USA at rallies will somehow make it real.

Think about this - when I was fresh out of high school you took us to the Moon but now you have to hitch rides into space with the Russians.

Jack of all trades, Master of one. 

6 hours ago, Fah Kiew Tu said:

Nah. I think that'd well & truly fall squarely into the category of a dry root....

FKT

Certainly would feel rather dusty afterwards.

8 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

Yeah, we do.

Jebus, do you have gills????

On 12/19/2019 at 2:12 PM, Willin' said:

Well ok, I'd forgotten about that one, but in my own weak ass defense, look at what I was responding to from someone I've never to my knowledge even exchanged words with before...

Kinda like my response to you when you came at me this morning.  Like I said, weak defense, I'll try to do better in the future. 

Fair enough. I'm not trying to be an asshat (well maybe just a tiny bit). I get frustrated with the attitude that the United States is some sort of battle field drenched in blood. Compared to so many other places the US is still a very safe place to live. Granted I live surrounded by Navy seals so I feel secure :D but that aside living in fear of guns just isn't on my radar. No matter where I live, I try to always be aware of my surroundings. Must be the dive training. Lol. 

Where ever you end up I hope you and the Mrs. Find peace.

K8

PS: had about 15hr drive by myself yesterday so had some time to think.

If I move again which I likely will in the next 5 yrs, I'm picking someplace in the hills with a clean water source not owned by the Chinese or any other nation or corporation. And someplace with decent health care. France maybe?

1 minute ago, Charlie Foxtrot said:

Leaving the US?

Try California, Illinois, New York, Chicago, Detroit, Baltimore, St Louis, Scat Fransisco...

Yeah, because Florida is so hometown USA.  :lol:

The thing about living in another country is that after the first year, cracks in the perfection start to appear.

Last Year I was definately retiring to Greece, I had the island picked. 

Now I;ve spent a lot of time on and off in Greece...always loved the place. 

Now my little island (Astypalia, pop 600) was as charming in 2019 as it was in 2018..but a subtle difference. Tourists were not arriving as usual.

The people were still as friendly and charming and helpful..many greeted me by name and were genuinely happy to see me and meet my kids.

BUT..there was worry in the air and it makes you realise that these places are not all baklava and Ice cream all the time.

Another thing..their main Island for regular shopping, dental, car repairs etc (two boats a week)is ******* I loved that place 30 years ago. Now..the economic black hole has left it shabby and depressing, elderly people begging, streets weedy and neglected..a lot of mental health issues it's really showing that dark, grim almost sinister, Agamemnon face that's never far away in Greece.

I still intend to go to my Island for a years trial, but my glasses are not quite so rosy.

15 hours ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

Oi are you calling Gissie's Mum a sheep? How rude!

• Like 2

On 12/19/2019 at 5:40 PM, Willin' said:

You had to go there didn't you, OTH? I'm rethinking my quest now!

Had another nice batch after Thanksgiving but haven't tried the smoked turkey recipe yet. Prime rib for Christmas next week. Ever made prime rib gumbo?

Good luck with the move...even better luck finding a decent fuckin' cut of prime rib anywhere else in the world...

5 minutes ago, Ed Lada said:

Well.... yeah.  Florida is Florida.  And how!  ;)

Still, this 5th Generation Californian much prefers Floriduh over what Kali has become in 30 years. 

Yeah, it's nuts in the good ol' USA but far nuttier if you let the nuts get to you.  And, usually, they can only get to you electronically.

My peace and quiet comes when I hop in the boat and spend time disconnected from electronics and connected with nature. 

Find a place to drop the hook and just spend a night under the stars.  (if it's winter, rent a cabin in the woods)

1 hour ago, Shortforbob said:

The thing about living in another country is that after the first year, cracks in the perfection start to appear.

I second that.

My dad retired to Florida in 1984.  Every year we'd drive down with the family and spend a week or two with him.  We loved it!  He kept his boat behind the house.  We took it to the Keys and the Bahamas or just gunkholed along the ICW.  I vowed one day I'd do the same.

In 2015 I moved to Florida.  After the second summer I began to really hate the climate here.  And then there's the political climate, which is just as stifling.  I had read about the half-backs, those who moved from the north to Florida and then moved half way back north.  I'm beginning to understand why.

21 hours ago, Norse Horse said:

https://www.mtlblog.com/u/2019/01/07/14a0a4eb4effa81d35f549ac2b05e073fbb9bb0e.png_1200x630.png

That looks like fun.  Seriously.  I've been snowmobiling a number of times and, if you're dressed properly, you're snug as a bug. 

Now try spending hours being active out in the Florida sun during the summer. 

13 minutes ago, Kent H said:

Did I miss it?  Usually if this topic comes up you gotta post this story.   The beauty of the United States is that if you have severe issues with your State there are many alternatives.  Over 50 to be exact...

Don't be this guy

https://seekingalpha.com/article/4087277-seeking-safety

Reminds of the MIT professor who realized that WW1 was only a prelude, that there would be a bigger and much more destructive world war... in the 1930s he moved to a peaceful little isolated Pacific island

- DSK

1 hour ago, Jules said:

I second that.

My dad retired to Florida in 1984.  Every year we'd drive down with the family and spend a week or two with him.  We loved it!  He kept his boat behind the house.  We took it to the Keys and the Bahamas or just gunkholed along the ICW.  I vowed one day I'd do the same.

In 2015 I moved to Florida.  After the second summer I began to really hate the climate here.  And then there's the political climate, which is just as stifling.  I had read about the half-backs, those who moved from the north to Florida and then moved half way back north.  I'm beginning to understand why.

The biggest thing I don't like about Florida, besides that it's so flat, hot, humid and buggy, is it's full of old people!!!   Yes, yes, I'm 64 but I'm young at heart and have a lot of young friends.  

I'm more like this kind of old guy except I never wear sun glasses.  Tats, but not sleeves although there's still time.

Image result for future grandpas be like

• Like 1

Booth seems to be enjoying Baja Mexico.

If you are relocating there, he may ask you to bring some IH parts for his Scout.  This seems to be his one and only trouble.

Well, if you invite Pelosi to come that may/may-not be an issue.

14 hours ago, Ishmael said:

I think you're getting all of it as you speak.:ph34r:

8 hours ago, Ed Lada said:

Nah, you get webbed feet and diaper rash.

North of Vancouver gets 8 feet of rain, mostly in  months and Kennedy Lake on Van Island gets 27 feet of rain.

Just now, Norse Horse said:

North of Vancouver gets 8 feet of rain, mostly in  months and Kennedy Lake on Van Island gets 27 feet of rain.

Yes, the road past Kennedy Lake washed out this week again. I think they had 220 mm of rain in 48 hours. Last car through said it was like driving in a really lumpy car wash.

14905478_web1_Highway-4-Kennedy-Lake-was

Safest bet for the zombie/climate/economic apocalypse is to live on Whidbey Island with a large military presence. Remember, only head shot will stop a zombie.

1 minute ago, Norse Horse said:

Safest bet for the zombie/climate/economic apocalypse is to live on Whidbey Island with a large military presence. Remember, only head shot will stop a zombie.

Do Zombies get itch from all the rain?  Wouldn't that slow them down?

8 hours ago, Ed Lada said:

No but I do have an ark available at all times.

4 hours ago, Shortforbob said:

Oi are you calling Gissie's Mum a sheep? How rude!

No, he's calling her a ewe.

Or is that spelled Ewwwww?

2 hours ago, Jules said:

That looks like fun.  Seriously.  I've been snowmobiling a number of times and, if you're dressed properly, you're snug as a bug. 

Growing up in the desert, that's what I've always thought - if it's too cold you can dress warmer but if it's so hot that it's hard to breathe then staying inside an air conditioned space is about all you can do.

14 minutes ago, Windward said:

Do Zombies get itch from all the rain?  Wouldn't that slow them down?

Well, zombies do have poor hygiene and I suspect they don't floss.

2 hours ago, Kent H said:

Did I miss it?  Usually if this topic comes up you gotta post this story.   The beauty of the United States is that if you have severe issues with your State there are many alternatives.  Over 50 to be exact...

Don't be this guy

https://seekingalpha.com/article/4087277-seeking-safety

They came from right here - I've always loved that story. Timing is everything. :lol:

They obviously never read or saw On The Beach.

6 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

No, he's calling her a ewe.

Or is that spelled Ewwwww?

Baaa....dddd:P

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jules said:

It's all fun until your left boot and leg is soaked from steam from the belt drive and your heated hand grips won't come back on. :(

That and Timmy's bacon is as thin as MacDonald's now...

1 hour ago, Windward said:

And he tried Florida and Arizona first..

20 minutes ago, slap said:

And he tried Florida and Arizona first..

See!  He did have a look see, and decided on something.  Not a 3 hour tour on the SS Minnow  

1 minute ago, Windward said:

See!  He did have a look see, and decided on something.  Not a 3 hour tour on the SS Minnow  

Ginger..... Mary Ann......    That three hour tour doesn't look that bad.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Windward said:

Who?

Japan is surprisingly affordable these days. Certainly lift tickets are a bargain, which I guess is one reason NIseko is now Australia's #1 colony. 

4 hours ago, Windward said:

If you are relocating there, he may ask you to bring some IH parts for his Scout.  This seems to be his one and only trouble.

Well, if you invite Pelosi to come that may/may-not be an issue.

Now there's a retirement plan. Send her down for a chat and put it on pay per view. 

:)

WL2

3 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

Growing up in the desert, that's what I've always thought - if it's too cold you can dress warmer but if it's so hot that it's hard to breathe then staying inside an air conditioned space is about all you can do.

That only works to an extent.

Just wait until you urgently need to piss when it's -30C, you're wearing a freezer suit, thermals under that and a decent coat on top......

I spent a fair amount of time in Antarctica. You can keep cold climates, I like them as much as I like really hot ones.

-5C to 25C is my personal comfort zone.

FKT

1 hour ago, spankoka said:

Japan is surprisingly affordable these days. Certainly lift tickets are a bargain, which I guess is one reason NIseko is now Australia's #1 colony. 

Yep, Old boyfriend next door just bought an Inn somewhere in Hokkaido, possibly near NIseko,  aimed at the Aussie ski ing crowd..His retirement plan and I know he's not a wealthy person.

57 minutes ago, Shortforbob said:

Yep, Old boyfriend next door just bought an Inn somewhere in Hokkaido, possibly near NIseko,  aimed at the Aussie ski ing crowd..His retirement plan and I know he's not a wealthy person.

How did he get a resident's visa? I thought Japan was way more difficult than we were about that.

Curiosity question is all. Friends of mine did the long temple walk 2 years back and are going to do another one in March then return to Australia and take the boat there.

FKT

There are new categories of visas in Japan these days. My guess is an innkeeper could get a business visa.

6 hours ago, Norse Horse said:

I guess it's all relative.  Where I grew up, a total annual winter snowfall was between 6'-8', even more a few miles to the south of the lake shore.  And I am talking about the Lake Erie shoreline, not some freaking big mountains somewhere.  You adapt to it, you learn to deal with it.  But that much rain, that still freaks me out.

We get some rain about 150 days per year - 1/2 the time basically but it's clustered heavily from November to March.

I have literally seen it rain for 40 days and 40 nights - that was when I started keeping an ark on hand.

28 minutes ago, Fah Kiew Tu said:

How did he get a resident's visa? I thought Japan was way more difficult than we were about that.

Curiosity question is all. Friends of mine did the long temple walk 2 years back and are going to do another one in March then return to Australia and take the boat there.

FKT

Heh, I've got an expired temp residents visa in my old passport. I got it through my husbands employer.

Dunno how Pete got his. perhaps he just owns the hotel and visits for however long he can and comes and goes on a tourist visa or some other temporary visa..dunno.

20 minutes ago, spankoka said:

There are new categories of visas in Japan these days. My guess is an innkeeper could get a business visa.

could be that. I had lunch with him a week ago so I know he spends time here.

There is actually a specific visa for newcomers who want to take on a family business that no one in the family wants to continue.

11 hours ago, Ed Lada said:

Drove in yesterday and the minute I crossed into FL I started thinking oh here we go...  let the insanity begin.

2 hours ago, sailingk8 said:

Drove in yesterday and the minute I crossed into FL I started thinking oh here we go...  let the insanity begin.

3 hours ago, sailingk8 said:

image.png.7cc17c523785f50fd017a83096eb19ce.png

• Like 1

We went on a road trip to Disney lately. Crossing into Fla provided hours of entertainment as we tried to explain Fla Man to the kids. My 13 yo son spent hours relating stories from his phone. 

The other thing that left an impression was the damage from Hurricane Matthew. Holy cow!

Yup, Floriduh Man is certainly a thing. 

I've seen things, encountered people that left me questioning the long term survivability (into the next month) of the human species. 

Couple of things - if you meet someone bragging about their family status as long term Florida natives, know that their genetic heritage extends to people WILLING to live in FL before air conditioning, and therefore, they are genetically insane.   Second, the prevalence of Floriduh Man increases exponentially the closer you get to Miami-Dade. It's just bugshit nuts there. 

Matthew hit the Panhandle as a strong Cat 5 hurricane. We went through that area on our Hurricane Dorian bug-out.  There was a rest area visible from the freeway built with large steel I-beams.  They had been twisted like a child's toy.  There were miles of forests alongside the freeway with tree trunks no higher than 6 feet.  Ye gawds. 

On 12/20/2019 at 6:20 PM, Ishmael said:

Quit yer whining. I grew up in 200" of rain yearly.