Foxtrot Corpen

Screwpile Back for 2020

Screwpile is alive and well!  Screwpile 2020 has been moved to late September to beat the heat and take advantage of better wind.  

The AYC Fall Race to Solomons on Saturday, September 26th will serve as a feeder race for the 2-day Screwpile Regatta which will be run on Sunday/Monday September 27th/28th..  

By popular demand, the Screwpile Headquarters, Parties, Bar(s), Awards, and fun will be relocated back to Safe Harbor ZAHNISERS.

I like the idea. have done the race down the last two years.

• Like 2

Glad to hear it's back

• Like 1

But... the pools just might be open.  This past September was warm , and Z's pool stayed open until the last weekend.  You just might get to sample some of that "sailor testicle tea" afterall, trimfast.

Is next years CBYRA schedule up already?!  Last year it seemed like it was nearly June by the time they published it. 

2 hours ago, Foxtrot Corpen said:

But... the pools just might be open.  This past September was warm , and Z's pool stayed open until the last weekend.  You just might get to sample some of that "sailor testicle tea" afterall, trimfast.

I will pack my straw.

18 hours ago, trimfast said:

But the pools will be closed! Probably for the best. Didn’t ever sit in that sailor testicle tea anyway.

it'll be ok. Rain from hurricane remnants will dilute it significantly :wacko:

21 hours ago, Foxtrot Corpen said:

Screwpile is alive and well!  Screwpile 2020 has been moved to late September to beat the heat and take advantage of better wind.  

The AYC Fall Race to Solomons on Saturday, September 26th will serve as a feeder race for the 2-day Screwpile Regatta which will be run on Sunday/Monday September 27th/28th..  

By popular demand, the Screwpile Headquarters, Parties, Bar(s), Awards, and fun will be relocated back to Safe Harbor ZAHNISERS.

Well I hope it works out for SMSA, as I understand it SPLC helps fund their Jr.'s program and I've enjoyed the event since 1990 - before it was even Screwpile.  Coming from S. Bay, we stopped off at Fishing Bay for Leukemia Cup (now cancelled also) the preceding weekend, then continued up to Solomons for the Challenge.  It was a great Mid Summer event when not much else was going on.  Hot, yes. Light some years, yes (25-30kn 2 yrs. ago) but good parties, well run races, and tight racing. I recall some whining from the Northern contingent re missing some distance race and others upset that it didn't dovetail with CBYRA High Point.  The pity is that a once great event dwindled to barely 3 dozen boats. There used to be that many staying over from the Eastport feeder race alone.  Surely something  needed to be done but late Sept. is "schools in",  Fall Series at most clubs, College kids gone, pools closed, early hurricane season....I expect it will break my 30 yr. tradition.  But that's just me and Time Moves On.   Best of Luck!  

38 minutes ago, voodoochile said:

Well I hope it works out for SMSA, as I understand it SPLC helps fund their Jr.'s program and I've enjoyed the event since 1990 - before it was even Screwpile.  Coming from S. Bay, we stopped off at Fishing Bay for Leukemia Cup (now cancelled also) the preceding weekend, then continued up to Solomons for the Challenge.  It was a great Mid Summer event when not much else was going on.  Hot, yes. Light some years, yes (25-30kn 2 yrs. ago) but good parties, well run races, and tight racing. I recall some whining from the Northern contingent re missing some distance race and others upset that it didn't dovetail with CBYRA High Point.  The pity is that a once great event dwindled to barely 3 dozen boats. There used to be that many staying over from the Eastport feeder race alone.  Surely something  needed to be done but late Sept. is "schools in",  Fall Series at most clubs, College kids gone, pools closed, early hurricane season....I expect it will break my 30 yr. tradition.  But that's just me and Time Moves On.   Best of Luck!  

This is what happens when people do not work together. You are correct! Lack of participation not only is due to outside forces, but also due to forces as you mention. We must do better, or my kids will not be able to race like we have been able to. As it is, all those stories of the days of past are no longer true now. 

6 hours ago, bosundog said:

Is next years CBYRA schedule up already?!  Last year it seemed like it was nearly June by the time they published it. 

The CBYRA  scheduling meeting is on January 25th.  The Green Book ought to be on-line not too shortly after that.  I don't think it will be published in paper book-form this year.

14 hours ago, Foxtrot Corpen said:

The CBYRA  scheduling meeting is on January 25th.  The Green Book ought to be on-line not too shortly after that.  I don't think it will be published in paper book-form this year.

Great thanks.  Never too early to start scheduling next years' vacation days. 

• Like 1

Bump. As an SMSA member, this sounds good to me. There are always compromises..this one only really requires the kids to miss one day of school if you really race with your kids in September, And as FC said, Z's pool was still open the 3rd week of Sept in 2019! 

• Like 1

Speaking of SMSA... you guys need to fix the gov cup or it will be gone entirely in just a few years. Everyone hated the last race, and we are not doing it again.

Shorten the fucking course at the River entrance when its clear the wind is dying at sunrise and wont be back until the afternoon. No one wants to bake in the August sun for 8 hrs floating backwards. We all paid for the food and lodging In advance anyway, everyone will still motor to the finish.  And fix your shitty party too, who closes the bar at 6pm?

11 minutes ago, Controversial_posts said:

Speaking of SMSA... you guys need to fix the gov cup or it will be gone entirely in just a few years. Everyone hated the last race, and we are not doing it again.

Shorten the fucking course at the River entrance when its clear the wind is dying at sunrise and wont be back until the afternoon. No one wants to bake in the August sun for 8 hrs floating backwards. We all paid for the food and lodging In advance anyway, everyone will still motor to the finish.  And fix your shitty party too, who closes the bar at 6pm?

That's not SMSA, try St. Mary's directly.

• Like 2

Sorry you don't like Gov Cup of late, Controversial_post.  But yes, trimfast is correct, and as you acknowledge... SMSA has nothing to do with Gov Cup, other than having several boats that traditionally compete in it.  St. Mary's College is the organizer of Gov Cup.  SMSA is and has been the Organizing Authority for Screwpile for the last 27 years.  We're changing the dates and party venue this year in hopes of attracting more participation.  It's going to be great racing and partying in late September with a chance of more wind and suredly less heat.  Although in September, it's not going to be cold.  How many times have you been at the Annapolis Boat Show in the first or second weekend in October in beautiful, warm sunshine?  Come race Screwpile.  You'll have a great time!

17 hours ago, Controversial_posts said:

Ok, sorry to SMSa, But still fuck that gov cup race...

Like every race, some years are better than others with the conditions. My suggestion would be to have early Friday starting times of 10am, and no more 5pm or later. Everything else other than the bar closing time doesn't need to change. Most people are already taking off Friday to do the evening race, so that complaint is null and void.  If you are really worried about the bar, Cooks is up the street and you can buy 30 racks and have a blast on the river front. In fact, St. Mary's should also hold a FJ regatta on Friday evening. That would be a fun addition.  Housing could open Friday evening if racers get in, the costs shouldn't need to change for that.

The Screwpile   http://screwpile.net/  and Yacht Scroring  https://yachtscoring.com/emenu.cfm?eid=11776 web sites are on-line and ready for registration.

PHRF and one-design regatta fee... $135

Cruiser Racers and CRCA boats... $100

The Melges 24 OD Class just listed the Screwpile Lighthouse Challenge on their 2019-2020 U.S. MELGES 24 RACING CALENDAR.  The running of Screwpile (27/28 September) is viewed as a great warm-up event for the Melges 24 U.S. NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP in Oxford, MD 15-18 October.

Bump...

Amendment #1 for Screwpile has been posted in Yacht Scoring at https://www.yachtscoring.com/event_documents/11776/Screwpile 2020 NOR.pdf

Amendment #1 is a full re-write of the original NOR which now reflects changes made due the Covid-19 Pandemic... no parties or awards ceremonies, virtual protest hearings.  Awards and Mt Gay red hats will be delivered after the regatta.  Two days of windward/leeward racing on September 27th and 28th, immediately following the AYC Fall Race to Solomons on the 26th.  PHRF and OD circle with multiple races, and a middle distance race each day for Racer/Cruisers using CRCA (ORR-Ez) handicaps.

Registration fee has been reduced to $65.  Register at https://www.yachtscoring.com/emenu.cfm?eID=11776

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Foxtrot Corpen said:

Bump...

Amendment #1 for Screwpile has been posted in Yacht Scoring at https://www.yachtscoring.com/event_documents/11776/Screwpile 2020 NOR.pdf

Amendment #1 is a full re-write of the original NOR which now reflects changes made due the Covid-19 Pandemic... no parties or awards ceremonies, virtual protest hearings.  Awards and Mt Gay red hats will be delivered after the regatta.  Two days of windward/leeward racing on September 27th and 28th, immediately following the AYC Fall Race to Solomons on the 26th.  PHRF and OD circle with multiple races, and a middle distance race each day for Racer/Cruisers using CRCA (ORR-Ez) handicaps.

Registration fee has been reduced to $65.  Register at https://www.yachtscoring.com/emenu.cfm?eID=11776

Thanks for the update! I am so pleased to hear that this will still happen despite the current times. I really miss this regatta. Haven’t done it since I was racing the SMCM Hendo.

• Like 1

Hope you can race Screwpile this year.  Would be great to see you out there again.  Thanks Nick!