Old Yeller

Laser Sailing Videos

Might as well make this a thread. Videos of Laser racing. We’ll start with something vintage.

• Like 3

When you click on some of these it might say it is unavailable. Then you just click on the underlined part that says watch on YouTube. Should be good. 1988 Laser Worlds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LW39rNqAjl8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bxZPvEp-24E

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QEqh__z5Yc

• Like 3

Loved the vintage Lasers.

My first Laser was No.5945 & had varnished rudder & dagger board, good times.

Here's one of my efforts at video filming & editing.

[youtube]

[/youtube]

• Like 1

5 hours ago, tillerman said:

Now that is a mark rounding! Is that Naval Academy?

2 minutes ago, Old Yeller said:

Now that is a mark rounding! Is that Naval Academy?

Yes.

All of Ben Hartnett (sailingshack)'s work is fantastic, scuttlebutt was that he got an offer to work for either Oracle or the America's Cup entity and responded that he had to finish high school first!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tillerman said:

Radial Medal Race - Olympics 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uyn-_yUaMZI

The Ladies Medal race (2012) is just as interesting as the Men's.

Lijia Xu vs Marit Bouwmeester. Their styles remarkably different. Lijia smoother upwind, Marit more movement. But equally fast, it seems.

And some great downwinds; on the second one Marit catches quite a few boats after rounding the top mark in eighth position (I think).

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Wavedancer II said:

The Radial Medal race (2012) is just as interesting as the Men's.

Lijia Xu vs Marit Bouwmeester. Their styles remarkably different. Lijia smoother upwind, Marit more movement. But equally fast, it seems.

And some great downwinds; on the second one Marit catches quite a few boats after rounding the top mark in eighth position (I think).

The Chinese sailor was excellent. The penalty turns on the first downwind didn’t slow her down at all. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Old Yeller said:

The Chinese sailor was excellent. The penalty turns on the first downwind didn’t slow her down at all. 

Lijia Xu's book Golden Lily is a fascinating read. Great insight into the Chinese training system not to mention the personal challenges she had to overcome on the way to Olympic gold.

https://www.amazon.com/Golden-Lily-Dinghy-Sailing-Medallist/dp/190991147X

• Like 1

Slingsby at the top of his game. 2011/2012 was pure dominance. He runs a Clinic on the best guy’s in the World. Still my favourite Laser sailor of all time. The downwind runs are interesting to see the different techniques. No “correct” way to sail the boat. 

• Like 2

slingo is an amazing sailor. lily xu overcame some serious adversity to win her gold medal.

Just to keep up with the Slalom videos, here is a video made by St Francis member Chris Ray from the Slalom run in 2018

The first part is a montage of photos taken during the event then starting about 1:56 is drone video of the final race between Chris Barnard and Malcolm Lamphere. 

A short video was made that was shown at the World Sailing meeting in 2018 when it was thought they were looking for a format for the "mixed single handed event" which then became the mixed two person keelboat. I will try to find and post here, it was a nice fast action video... 

• Like 2

On 12/23/2019 at 5:06 PM, SFBayLaser said:

Just to keep up with the Slalom videos, here is a video made by St Francis member Chris Ray from the Slalom run in 2018

The first part is a montage of photos taken during the event then starting about 1:56 is drone video of the final race between Chris Barnard and Malcolm Lamphere. 

A short video was made that was shown at the World Sailing meeting in 2018 when it was thought they were looking for a format for the "mixed single handed event" which then became the mixed two person keelboat. I will try to find and post here, it was a nice fast action video... 

Points for creativity but not sure I understand how this is a good or even fair sailing race. 

I love how flat the boat is most of the time despite the antics

On 12/25/2019 at 3:38 AM, Tink said:

Points for creativity but not sure I understand how this is a good or even fair sailing race. 

The slalom course makes for an intense display of boat handling skills, especially in strong winds. It’s wonderful for training and can be exciting to watch. As for it being a suitable Olympic event, that’s another question entirely. I sailed a slalom years ago at a training camp in corpus Corpus Christi, TX. It was blowing a good 20-25. The marks were set close together. Very challenging and exhausting. 

On 12/20/2019 at 7:33 AM, Old Yeller said:

When you click on some of these it might say it is unavailable. Then you just click on the underlined part that says watch on YouTube. Should be good. 1988 Laser Worlds.

Woww,, memory lane!

I remember thinking for all the helicopters buzzing the fleet, there's be some great coverage.   Footage released 20 years later, now 32yrs,, great footage?  Not so much.  :lol:

How can an archive of laser vids not include,,,, this!?   ......   

• Like 2

2 hours ago, couchsurfer said:

Woww,, memory lane!

I remember thinking for all the helicopters buzzing the fleet, there's be some great coverage.   Footage released 20 years later, now 32yrs,, great footage?  Not so much.  :lol:

How can an archive of laser vids not include,,,, this!?   ......   

Best Laser sailing video ever!

8 hours ago, tillerman said:

Best Laser sailing video ever!

... certainly keeps the sport in perspective.  

24 minutes ago, couchsurfer said:

... certainly keeps the sport in perspective.  

Seriously, he speaks what most non-sailors are thinking when they see a sailing race.

On ‎12‎/‎20‎/‎2019 at 8:33 AM, Old Yeller said:

Classics! The scene in the first video at 6:37 brings a tear to my eye. Those were the days...

• Like 1

8 hours ago, bill4 said:

Classics! The scene in the first video at 6:37 brings a tear to my eye. Those were the days...

The Caribbean night!?  :unsure:

You see the bit,, 'I'm Robert, from Brasil'  ?

I enjoyed Falmouth so much, went back for the winter.  A bay inside a bay inside two more,,,, get out those and there's often 45knots.    Those were the daze!  :lol:

Those worlds boats had some solid spars.    

On 12/26/2019 at 1:54 PM, Schnappi said:

Gawd,, they should practice more,,, keep wiping out!  :lol:

20 hours ago, Old Yeller said:

Ooph,, did the first Kingston world's in ~'82 or something..... a deadly format of  ~400 competitors divided into 8 groups that were doing a round robin,, except there was little wind.   It'd be 2-3 days of standing by between races.

That's when the lads figured out the magic # for mast rakes.  160 fairly identical boats, except little control on rakes.  All being rotated randomly between sailors.

30 minutes ago, couchsurfer said:

Ooph,, did the first Kingston world's in ~'82 or something..... a deadly format of  ~400 competitors divided into 8 groups that were doing a round robin,, except there was little wind.   It'd be 2-3 days of standing by between races.

That's when the lads figured out the magic # for mast rakes.  160 fairly identical boats, except little control on rakes.  All being rotated randomly between sailors.

I was at CORK ‘88 and ‘89. Nice place to end the summer. Good camping in the park up the road from the marina. Good memories. Hope to return in the next year or two.

1 hour ago, couchsurfer said:

The Kingston Worlds with 350 competitors was in 1980.

Here are some memories of the event (on another forum) from Andy Roy who thinks he was there...

https://sailingforums.com/threads/kingston-worlds.4639/#post-27672 

• Like 1

Tom Slingsby blasting around 

On 12/31/2019 at 5:43 PM, tillerman said:

The Kingston Worlds with 350 competitors was in 1980.

Here are some memories of the event (on another forum) from Andy Roy who thinks he was there...

https://sailingforums.com/threads/kingston-worlds.4639/#post-27672 

I dunno,, that's a memory lane I don't really want to go down.   At 20yrs, I certainly didn't have ego perspective to finish 172nd,, or was it 272nd,,  even if it is the biggest OD regatta ever.    :mellow:

4 hours ago, couchsurfer said:

I dunno,, that's a memory lane I don't really want to go down.   At 20yrs, I certainly didn't have ego perspective to finish 172nd,, or was it 272nd,,  even if it is the biggest OD regatta ever.    :mellow:

I still experience that feeling at 53 when I dip my toe into the FL annual masters series!

16 hours ago, RobbieB said:

I still experience that feeling at 53 when I dip my toe into the FL annual masters series!

I suppose that's what keeps folks at it.  :mellow:

Personally, I moved on as my knee arthritis took over.   Replacement knees don't bend like a laser sailor needs, and there's something about the 'sheering force' of hiking that I dont want to experiment with., but life after laser obsession is actually all good!

It's now ~30years since my prime, but I still get regatta dreams, lots of preparation getting to the event, just as it was,, with the dramas of the racecourse in technicolor.   I can't say I've missed a thing!

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Old Yeller said:

Really interesting to see the increase in quality of video. The use of RC drones with powerful lenses is changing it all forever, the angles are now almost unlimited!

With Miami World Cup  starting here’s one from 2016

Medal races from Miami. Scroll through for Laser radial and full races

On 1/25/2020 at 3:50 PM, Old Yeller said:

Medal races from Miami. Scroll through for Laser radial and full races

And what are these ICA dinghies doing on the course?

1 hour ago, Wavedancer II said:

And what are these ICA dinghies doing on the course?

?

21 minutes ago, Old Yeller said:

?

Screen_Shot_2020-01-26_at_9_17.57_AM.png

......some say ILCA some don’t. 

1 hour ago, Old Yeller said:

......some say ILCA some don’t. 

right, i think that's what the guy was asking about. although at this point it's immaterial

8 minutes ago, dgmckim said:

right, i think that's what the guy was asking about. although at this point it's immaterial

Got it. At this point I’m just focused on the racing.

• Like 1