Editor

best pic of the year?

best-pic-of-2019-1024x682.jpg
This is Martina Orsini's  photo of the Open Skiff. Got any candidates?

• Like 4

I like the photo of the two skiffs just down the front page much better. Yeah, freezing water in motion is kind of cool, but not exactly new or particularly artistic. 

I'll take that one over the ed in the harken catalog

Here a couple that I think are different from normal shots. 4284 and 4294 are of a moon rise that occured just on sunset. 4603 and 4628 are sunsets.

MER_0495.JPG

MER_4603.JPG

MER_4628.JPG

MER_4284.JPG

MER_4294.JPG

• Like 2

On 12/21/2019 at 10:33 PM, TUBBY said:

My favourite from within the last year.

Approaching Tasman last years Hobart.

Wax Tasman.JPG

Needs the rail meat further forward - bow is too high.

;)

Hello to all! Just to be clear that my pic is not the best of 2019.... It has been selected by a jury in a contest. And not all the photographers of the world joined this contest! And the real winner of this year is a pic of Loris Von Siebenthal.... from Swiss.... The storm during the Bol D'Or....

Just to clarify before any other poisoned post

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Martina Orsini said:

Hello to all! Just to be clear that my pic is not the best of 2019.... It has been selected by a jury in a contest. And not all the photographers of the world joined this contest! And the real winner of this year is a pic of Loris Von Siebenthal.... from Swiss.... The storm during the Bol D'Or....

Just to clarify 

Fair enough, yet your pic was a very dramatic and well composed image. Nicely done !

• Like 2

yours was better. 

26 minutes ago, JimBowie said:

"Stop staring at the Pro Start, you perv!"

bs , if she didn't want the attention ......

yes you can wear what you want and yes we can stare .

When I first looked at that I thought they had just jumped a wave. :D

15 hours ago, Laurent said:

I want to see the photo 2.37 seconds later...

They went round the leeward mark and turned upwind... Nothing untoward happening in that photo.

And at the other end of the sailing spectrum...reflected selfie

1541191114_ReflectedSelfie.thumb.jpg.6213c50325abfde36668226e13c7d31c.jpg

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Left Shift said:

And at the other end of the sailing spectrum...reflected selfie

1541191114_ReflectedSelfie.thumb.jpg.6213c50325abfde36668226e13c7d31c.jpg

That’s a great photo Left!

• Like 2

ain't it just .

On 1/13/2020 at 8:15 PM, Maxx Baqustae said:

Orca Spirit Imaging

_IMG4366 (1280x854).jpg

Nice pic of @Narwhal and his ride.

ba1.thumb.jpg.d86f86b090199de7d82cc8644a52c2e8.jpg

Yvann Zedda – Brest Atlantiques Nov 2019.... and

ba2.thumb.jpg.48ca270a8f8e254a3edbc8140b864c51.jpg

Alexis Courcoux – Brest Atlantiques Nov 2019

• Like 1

This. 

• Like 2

On 1/15/2020 at 12:16 AM, shaggybaxter said:

That’s a great photo Left!

Not mine, one of my crew.  I was busy yelling at the wind gods.  

There just wasn't much out there that day and we had 30 nm to go.  

2.04 sprit.pdf

dddick.png

And this. It's actually worth of a World Press Photo, in my view. Contrasting the brutal Australian bushfires, a forceful yet helpless Navy vessel and the elegance of a sailing yacht makes it a remarkable picture. It's maybe a contender for 2020, though. 

Anyway, my thoughts are with all affected...

On 1/16/2020 at 3:47 PM, BravoBravo said:

dddick.png

M30 worlds SF, 2014 ish

Aloha PIL66-X2

Could you please message me?  Your message box tells me that you are not accepting messages at this time.

Or you can email me at merlinhawaii@gmail.com

Mahalo

Crappy phone pic, thought it was cool nonetheless 

6mr snowbirds.jpg

• Like 7

I wondered who the crazy MoFo's were who were out in that. You are hard core Maxx.

I didn't even want to open my front door.

20 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

I wondered who the crazy MoFo's were who were out in that. You are hard core Maxx.

I didn't even want to open my front door.

Nah....it wasn't real cold. Dry for most of it. Didn't really rain after everyone finished. Hi teens and low 20s in the puffs. Quick race.

A few from a friend of mine. You'll have seen this one on the front page (Hamble Classics 2019), but I like these just as much. I think he deserves a wider audience.

DSC_0347.thumb.jpg.5faca8a3a826b185bc2b98e1a4592b81.jpgDSC_0351.thumb.jpg.3303b15042bf66f4beb63476150a9128.jpg

Hamble One Design Championships 2019 - and before you say anything, Bertrand won't edit... 

Assys.thumb.jpeg.84ff985354c79f295479f0d9547ddee7.jpeg

He's on Flickr if you want a browse.

• Like 1

Trying to finish a WNR before the storm on the Miles RIver.

IMG_0130.JPG

IMG_0113.JPG

• Like 1

Chugging along at 6 knots in something out of a WoodenBoat issue. 

Thanks to Peter Slack Photography

40EE7E07-E778-4345-95CF-8B91720E000E.jpeg

On 1/17/2020 at 4:47 AM, BravoBravo said:

dddick.png

Nice pic but not always wise to publish a clear rule breach (RRS 49.2) & Case 36 clearly illustrates the illegality of the above shot

• Like 1

1 hour ago, shanghaisailor said:

Nice pic but not always wise to publish a clear rule breach (RRS 49.2) & Case 36 clearly illustrates the illegality of the above shot

This is a 'best picture' thread, not a 'best sail attorney' competition.

The shot is not illegal. The action in it may be.

But: there is clearly hoisting in progress. The action might thus be brief and necessary, as allowed in the rule.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, shanghaisailor said:

It's O/K - he's the ultimate sea lawyer. :D

12 hours ago, shanghaisailor said:

?? you taking the piss?  There's no pole, its been taken down as they approach the mark https://www.racingrulesofsailing.org/cases/978

4 hours ago, Nodrog said:

?? you taking the piss?  There's no pole, its been taken down as they approach the mark https://www.racingrulesofsailing.org/cases/978

Taking the piss? Not really.

I see your US Sailing appeal (1996) and raise you World Sailing Case 83 (from the CURRENT case book) where it states somewhat the opposite.

The challenge with the rules is sometimes they are not precise enough. The use of the term “briefly” rather than a fixed time period is open to interpretation. However the Introduction to the RRS states that words that aren’t defined are used “in the sense understood in nautical or general use.”

Trouble is that both words, briefly & necessary, are open to different interpretations by competitors, umpires, judges OR just those trying to learn the rules - that make the rule flawed. 

Also just what is necessary? Needed for safety? To Prevent damage? or to improve performance? The last one I would find hard to swallow but the appeals committee let it go.

The spinnaker was trimmed outside the lifelines - appeal upheld yet the World Sailing case 83 the appeal was denied and the boat disqualified and the World Sailing case was just "part of the torso"

Who to believe? I have been with IU's who banged a penalty on this action - no question with the rider that sail trim of any form is NOT a necessity but a function of performance.

I don't sail in the US (neiher do you Nodrog) so the US appeal means nothing to us, I would go with the WS Case 83

Open to discussion as I hope you are - this is intriguing.

Cheers

SS

15 hours ago, Matagi said:

This is a 'best picture' thread, not a 'best sail attorney' competition.

The shot is not illegal. The action in it may be.

But: there is clearly hoisting in progress. The action might thus be brief and necessary, as allowed in the rule.

And who appointed you the "Forum Police" Matagi?

If we didn't have thread drift on SA a good potion of the threads would be half their size ;)

You are right though the "shot" is not illegal.

However, I wouldn't want to be dragged to the "Room" and be presented with a shot like that by the protestor - batting uphill right from the start.

Just razzing, threads get diverted all the time here as i'm sure you are aware of.

See you on the water guys

SS

• Like 2

haha, classic SS! 

All good, Would be interested to see what the true ruling is on this, around here i think its more a case of everyone does it and you'd be a prick to fly the flag over it..?

Clean's boat does seem to be taking the preverbial over 'briefly', the pole only comes off before the jib's up when someone's made a balls up, either on keyboards or with the jibsheets. As an ex union member, my money's on the keyboards... 

8 hours ago, shanghaisailor said:

Taking the piss? Not really.

I see your US Sailing appeal (1996) and raise you World Sailing Case 83 (from the CURRENT case book) where it states somewhat the opposite.

The challenge with the rules is sometimes they are not precise enough. The use of the term “briefly” rather than a fixed time period is open to interpretation. However the Introduction to the RRS states that words that aren’t defined are used “in the sense understood in nautical or general use.”

Trouble is that both words, briefly & necessary, are open to different interpretations by competitors, umpires, judges OR just those trying to learn the rules - that make the rule flawed. 

Also just what is necessary? Needed for safety? To Prevent damage? or to improve performance? The last one I would find hard to swallow but the appeals committee let it go.

The spinnaker was trimmed outside the lifelines - appeal upheld yet the World Sailing case 83 the appeal was denied and the boat disqualified and the World Sailing case was just "part of the torso"

Who to believe? I have been with IU's who banged a penalty on this action - no question with the rider that sail trim of any form is NOT a necessity but a function of performance.

I don't sail in the US (neiher do you Nodrog) so the US appeal means nothing to us, I would go with the WS Case 83

Open to discussion as I hope you are - this is intriguing.

Cheers

SS

And who appointed you the "Forum Police" Matagi?

If we didn't have thread drift on SA a good potion of the threads would be half their size ;)

You are right though the "shot" is not illegal.

However, I wouldn't want to be dragged to the "Room" and be presented with a shot like that by the protestor - batting uphill right from the start.

Just razzing, threads get diverted all the time here as i'm sure you are aware of.

See you on the water guys

SS

Human pole - no breach.  Happy to explain it to you if it isn't completely fucking obvious, which it should be to any person with a 9th grade reading level.  

Mumm 30 Worlds, Groovederci.  Practice day.

6 hours ago, MR.CLEAN said:

Human pole - no breach.  Happy to explain it to you if it isn't completely fucking obvious, which it should be to any person with a 9th grade reading level.  

Human Pole - no breach? would a protest committee agree with you? torso outside lifelines - was it briefly?  

I didn't say it was done with "malice or forethought" but it is clear from the photo that the torso is outside the lifelines and if you say "human pole"  it does suggest "not briefly"

Where in the rules does it allow "human pole"

Fucks sake Clean!      It wasn't personal (didn't even realise it was you) why do you have to try and make it so - grow up

Anyway, for my own personal satisfaction I shall send up a Q & A

On 1/17/2020 at 6:47 AM, BravoBravo said:

dddick.png

Clear and intention breach to me.

Seems you are just another cheating prick.

But wait I am a boy racer so I decide what the rules are.

I did not know you had moved to Queensland.

On 1/28/2020 at 3:47 AM, MR.CLEAN said:

Well this 9th grader reached out to some people who actually know the rules. A pool of IJs and IUs i have got to know while umpiring. Between them i reckon they have over 100 years of racing experience and countless events up to and including the America's Cup, World Championships and  other major regattas including the Olympic Regatta. I am putting together an 'educational piece for the front page. To give you a head's up - Human Pole was universally reckoned to be illegal. An on the water judge could only penalise however, if written into the Sailing Instructions otherwise a fellow competitor would have to protest. 

Watch this space - 

• Like 1

On 1/13/2020 at 4:30 PM, SloopJonB said:

When I first looked at that I thought they had just jumped a wave. :D

stepped on a lego

On 1/26/2020 at 10:07 AM, shanghaisailor said:

Screw racing rules breach.  What about the SA forum breach?  This is supposed to be "best" pic, not "scariest" pic.

Somebody pass me the eye bleach, please.

• Like 1

Some pics from a windy race at the 2016 Dabchick nationals, photos by Neville Starwood who has an amazing talent of getting the perfect action shot.

The kids that sail these little scows are between 14 and 18 years old.

F018BD2D-FE6F-4DE8-9A26-A4507DF91763.jpeg

B98C6C5A-FB2D-4B6A-ADB1-0E7EF1140CA9.jpeg

4C3C06F9-55B2-448C-B694-09DA181B7033.jpeg

8CB9C709-BDF8-44A7-9711-6D246EAD9CE6.jpeg

2832AEDE-B8E7-440C-96F6-E97DF3BAACFF.jpeg

19545E22-CE57-4AB6-BB44-26D155ABDA43.jpeg

• Like 2

This is Doug Shop, Team Perseverance R2Ak. Him and this photo capture what that race is all about. 

61621213_1997185500409111_1233388764869427200_o.thumb.jpg.2b974c9cb7efac861366cc7fdda9c36e.jpg

• Like 2

Used to have a rule offshore, over 40 miles over 40 feet.  Still makes sense to me, even in our beloved Salish Sea which can kick your ass.

My nomination is this superb helicopter photo of Comanche by the great Daniel Forster.

Image may contain: sky, outdoor, nature and water

• Like 7

Ok by me on that one

8 minutes ago, Serge A. Storms said:

BIG DAY 3.png

Great shot!!  Is that a Herreshof design??

On 3/25/2020 at 8:45 PM, P_Wop said:

My nomination is this superb helicopter photo of Comanche by the great Daniel Forster.

Are you sure that is Comanche?

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, in_TO said:

Are you sure that is Comanche?

Well, that's what Daniel told me.  I'll ask him.

doesn't look like her deck

a10be82f4f907574d4bf70faf8af20ba.jpg

• Like 1

On 3/26/2020 at 1:31 AM, lamorak said:

A nice shot from Paul Todd/Outside Images taken at the St Pete NOOD's of me going downwind on the A-Class.  Here's proof that there is wind in St Pete, sometimes...

Screen_Shot_2015-02-16_at_10_36.50_AM.png

Hopefully we will find out for ourselves (next year).

On 3/28/2020 at 7:02 PM, Mid said:

doesn't look like her deck

a10be82f4f907574d4bf70faf8af20ba.jpg

nor her sprit. unless a lot has changed.

7 hours ago, bigrpowr said:

nor her sprit. unless a lot has changed.

These guys modify their boats nearly every year, don't they?

On 1/13/2020 at 2:03 PM, JimBowie said:

Top this one ya wankers

Wk7BAmZ.jpg

"Stop staring at the Pro Start, you perv!"

I don’t see a boat anywhere ?

On 3/24/2020 at 1:39 PM, Snaggletooth said:

IMG_0884.JPG

:)

Leave it to snags 

On 3/28/2020 at 9:38 PM, P_Wop said:

Well, that's what Daniel told me.  I'll ask him.

If I were to venture a guess, I’d say it is the former Speedboat

4 hours ago, in_TO said:

If I were to venture a guess, I’d say it is the former Speedboat

I think you're right. 

Bloody fine photo in any event, whatever the boat.

6 hours ago, FlyingScot310 said:

It’s gotta be this one, right?

B7CE2790-055E-415D-B448-44A3EC496E73.jpeg

I feel sorry for guys like that - every time they get wood they pass out from brain ischemia.

On 1/27/2020 at 6:52 PM, shanghaisailor said:

Human Pole - no breach? would a protest committee agree with you? torso outside lifelines - was it briefly?  

I didn't say it was done with "malice or forethought" but it is clear from the photo that the torso is outside the lifelines and if you say "human pole"  it does suggest "not briefly"

Where in the rules does it allow "human pole"

Fucks sake Clean!      It wasn't personal (didn't even realise it was you) why do you have to try and make it so - grow up

Anyway, for my own personal satisfaction I shall send up a Q & A

Every big boat I have sailed on the jib goes up to clear the deck before the pole is dropped.

Me thinks something else might have been going on.

• Like 1

I'm voting for that one, Lat 21. Whoever posted the photo just above should be taken out back and tortured.

• Like 1

On 12/22/2019 at 12:03 AM, TUBBY said:

My favourite from within the last year.

Approaching Tasman last years Hobart.

Wax Tasman.JPG

Looks to be a bit past Tasman, approaching The Raoul.

Nope definitely the bottom of Tasman.  Just an unusual angle,  coming in from quite wide.

Good to be back on the water ! Fantastic weather here in the UK.

Corby 25 off Cowes

DSC_5702-2.jpg