Nice!

The F1 2020 thread

Recommended Posts

ae0d0f5aae7dc0413f106f292572dd79.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Starting to look like we won’t get facing till end of May.  That gives teams almost 3 months to design, build instal DAS.  Unless of course you had to leave 14 in a Melbourne hotel for 2 weeks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In view of the continued global spread of COVID-19 and after ongoing discussions with the FIA and the three promoters, it has today been confirmed that the Formula 1 Heineken Dutch Grand Prix 2020, Formula 1 Gran Premio De España 2020 and Formula 1 Grand Prix De Monaco 2020 will be postponed.

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/article.dutch-spanish-and-monaco-grands-prix-postponed.5CggooJeHoDchKkFehkrkY.html?utm_source=Sailthru&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=20200319_Announcement_OptOut&utm_term=20200319_F1Announcement_OptOut

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

we'd better start the f1 2021 thread 'cause this season seems to be gone...

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

teams seem to be looking at it that way.  Especially after voting to push the 2021 rule change back 12 months.  Its going to make driver contract negotiation very hard for all parties.  No way for teams to assess current form and driver state of mind (Vetal).  No way for drivers to assess team development. 

I think we're going to see. 

Hamilton stay at Merc,
Ricciardo to Ferrari, 
Vettal to no mans land
Botas 50%/50 on keeping his seat. may end up swapping with Sainz especially with Mclaren going to merc engines
Not sure who will end up in second renault seat.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Side note Mclaren are going to be pissed.  They now have to work out how to fit an Merc engine into a chassis designed around the Renault.  Changing engines at the same time as changing chassis rules probably made a a lot of sense.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, silent bob said:

Despite it’s history, Monaco is an anachronism.  Too narrow, a parade, too hard to set up.  Critical to the rich and famous and representative of the circus no no get a race.  I love Monaco, from the days when there was no nouvelle chicane and Rascasse was the Gasometer hairpin. It’s a hell of a show and back when the cars were a lot smaller, a great race. 
 

now it’s more show than go.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, SCARECROW said:

Side note Mclaren are going to be pissed.  They now have to work out how to fit an Merc engine into a chassis designed around the Renault.  Changing engines at the same time as changing chassis rules probably made a a lot of sense.

 

Why is Mclaren switching engines? Reliability issues??

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, SCARECROW said:

Side note Mclaren are going to be pissed.  They now have to work out how to fit an Merc engine into a chassis designed around the Renault.  Changing engines at the same time as changing chassis rules probably made a a lot of sense.

Don't you think that they'll just stay with Renault in 2021 since the rules are staying fixed?  I don't think Renault would have a problem selling motors to Mclaren still.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, billy backstay said:

 

Why is Mclaren switching engines? Reliability issues??

Why did you by the same sail as the guy that won the last 7 nationals?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, SCARECROW said:

Why did you by the same sail as the guy that won the last 7 nationals?

 

LOL!  Good answer! :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Azerbaijan now cancelled too.

Did anybody else watch the Virtual Bahrain GP? It was live-stream in YouTube on Sunday, same time the race was scheduled. It was a little bit silly, but fairly entertaining. However, there is probably quite some potential there, and I'm certain Liberty will be taking a hard look at this for 2020.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, Nice! said:

Azerbaijan now cancelled too.

Did anybody else watch the Virtual Bahrain GP? It was live-stream in YouTube on Sunday, same time the race was scheduled. It was a little bit silly, but fairly entertaining. However, there is probably quite some potential there, and I'm certain Liberty will be taking a hard look at this for 2020.

wonder if they'll start a Virtual Virtual league.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What platform did they use? I used to play in iracing a lot. Had a decent rig and the seat time to get to some advanced series. Some of the ALMS guys would show up from time to time. It was great fun to line up against them. They were frequently beaten in sprint races but had the discipline to stay fast and not crash to win the endurance stuff. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bummed Lando had game problems and missed the race.  Master class by the winner (wont ruin it for those of you watching it on replay  :)  )

MS

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The F1 E racing is pretty fracking realistic. Only the contact is pretty fake.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The children in the Indy series side finally realized this weekend that is just a game.

A lap down, Simon Pagenaud told his spotter (and the rest of the listening twitter feed) that he was going to take Lando out, and he did.

iRacing was was annoyed, if this was one of their series the guy would be dinged (suspended), but since they rented out the game to Indy who invited the drivers, they will take no action.

Although maybe his sponsors (like NASCAR) step in and Pagenaud  gets to sit out a race or two.  The race was broadcast on NBC nationally.

One can only hope.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Many references today that Vettel will announce tomorrow, 5/12, that he is finished with Ferrari at the end of 2020. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yup he’s done

prediction in post#4 not so wild assed now ;-)

I guess we will find out how interested Lewis is in #7 vs a drive in a red car.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Curious, are the drivers still being paid their ginormous salaries??

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Vettel out of the red car, Sainz in the red car, Ricciardo in McLaren, Vettel in Renault?  Musical chairs?!  Wondering if anyone gets left without a chair when the music stops? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just read Ross Brawn's book and I highly recommend it even if just from a business leadership standpoint. Buried in it is exactly why Mercedes left Red Bull in the dust with the power unit change. Ross Brawn essentially created the Mercedes team and Toto Wolff and Niki politically drove him out.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, silent bob said:

Vettel out of the red car, Sainz in the red car, Ricciardo in McLaren, Vettel in Renault?  Musical chairs?!  Wondering if anyone gets left without a chair when the music stops? 

Vettel will be out.  No-one is going to want to pay what he wants.

Ricciardo is going to be wearing a track in the carpet at home, trying to work out where he wants to be and what to do next.  Followed the $ to Renault last time.  Does he double down and see what happens or second guess himself and go to Mclaren.  This is his last chance to pick a team so he needs to decide if he is more likely to have a shot in yellow or orange?

Who is in the background looking for a ride:

Vandoorne or Gutierrez.  Both with Merc but likely to be made available to McLaren with the engine change.

Vries. again a Merc man but the above applies.

Shwartzman -> Stepping up to F2 this year.  Ferrari Academy but that doesn't usually stop him signing with others especially as Ferrari appear to have locked in a telented young line up for the next few years. 

Oscar Piastri --> Left field as he's only just joined the Renault academy but has shown with 5 poles in F3 last year that he can qualify and that is massive.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

followup..

Ricciardo to McLaren.

only question remains who will be driving for Renault.  I don't see any reason for them to rush.  Let the season start, see whats happening at F2 and F3 then make a call.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Would hulk come back? Or were bridges burned?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think he'd come back in a second.  Not sure Renault would be interested though.  At best it would be a 12 month deal while they wait for an academy driver to mature.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Class act.   

 

This Pandemic really has us f'l-up, we are looking forward to 2021 more than a partial 2020 season. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Where is Sainz going to next?  Sounds like he's signing off from McLaren.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/formulaone/article-8313165/Vettel-join-Hamilton-dream-team-German-Mercedes-radar-splits-Ferrari.html?fbclid=IwAR2QiSfiKccjieU8WM3z0Mks3TayPjJBymVinhxvcgh3LMoGrupQfuZ7TI0&fbclid=IwAR3KJPffl96l5R3oPaOAr1rb5B3br3qgjxkH2HRb3FF02tIzLp-U0Iov7d8&fbclid=IwAR20LS-tj0rNUW-S5wBnSLvQIovFtMKYR-7zdcWeRXXcmsRXhh0l6JcwG7U

 

Mercedes are considering partnering Sebastian Vettel with Lewis Hamilton in what would be the most decorated line-up in F1 history.

The possibility of the pair, who have 10 championship titles combined, racing together came about after Tuesday's announcement that Vettel would be leaving Ferrari at the end of the year, starting a huge driver shake-up.

There is even the remote chance of Hamilton seizing on the flux to land a seat at Ferrari. However, it is far more likely that Vettel's place will be taken by Carlos Sainz of McLaren, with Daniel Ricciardo then going from Renault to replace the Spaniard.

 

and the silly season with no racing continues...  i would have thought with and empty spot at ferrari  Hamilton would have wanted to give them a try...  win championships with three different teams

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Marcjsmith said:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/formulaone/article-8313165/Vettel-join-Hamilton-dream-team-German-Mercedes-radar-splits-Ferrari.html?fbclid=IwAR2QiSfiKccjieU8WM3z0Mks3TayPjJBymVinhxvcgh3LMoGrupQfuZ7TI0&fbclid=IwAR3KJPffl96l5R3oPaOAr1rb5B3br3qgjxkH2HRb3FF02tIzLp-U0Iov7d8&fbclid=IwAR20LS-tj0rNUW-S5wBnSLvQIovFtMKYR-7zdcWeRXXcmsRXhh0l6JcwG7U

 

Mercedes are considering partnering Sebastian Vettel with Lewis Hamilton in what would be the most decorated line-up in F1 history.

The possibility of the pair, who have 10 championship titles combined, racing together came about after Tuesday's announcement that Vettel would be leaving Ferrari at the end of the year, starting a huge driver shake-up.

There is even the remote chance of Hamilton seizing on the flux to land a seat at Ferrari. However, it is far more likely that Vettel's place will be taken by Carlos Sainz of McLaren, with Daniel Ricciardo then going from Renault to replace the Spaniard.

 

and the silly season with no racing continues...  i would have thought with and empty spot at ferrari  Hamilton would have wanted to give them a try...  win championships with three different teams

Would Seb 's ego allow him to be #2 behind Lewis?  Would Charles stay if Ferrari brought in Lewis as a new #1  after he knocked off Seb for top driver? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

mmm not sure about the above source (Daily Mail). By all accounts Carlos and Danny have signed for their new teams. Seb and Lewis would be fun to watch but would probably blow the team apart. Seb has never functioned well when put under teammate pressure and Lewis would be the ultimate. Merc would probably like Seb but not sure Toto would want the friction again after having to deal with Rosberg a few years ago.

However these are strange times. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, vibroman said:

mmm not sure about the above source (Daily Mail). . 

 

Tabloids get it right sometimes

https://f1i.com/news/373146-wolff-mercedes-must-take-vettel-news-into-consideration.html

Toto Wolff says the Silver Arrows outfit is committed to keeping its driver line-up intact for 2021 but must also take into consideration Sebastian Vettel's availability.

Vettel's departure from Ferrari at the end of the season has led to a whirlwind of speculation about who might fill the German driver's seat at the Scuderia but also about Vettel's future.

Both Lewis Hamilton and Valtteri Bottas have yet to agree terms with Mercedes for 2021 and beyond, and both drivers could theoretically be of interest to Ferrari

Wolff reiterated his stance on his team's line-up, insisting stability remains Mercedes' priority. But the Austrian also said the Vettel's exit from Ferrari is not an insignificant event for the Brackley squad.

"Sebastian is a great driver, a major personality and an asset to any Formula 1 team," Wolff said.

 

"When looking to the future, our first loyalty lies with the current Mercedes drivers.

"But naturally we must take this development into consideration."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wolff is leveraging Vettel against his drivers to get them to sign.  Vettel has been out driven by 2 of his last 3 team mates and is old so has no value for building future strength.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Aside from playing computer games, building ventilators and negotiating contracts, how many of the teams do we think have used their extra 3 months to design and build a DAS equivalent for their car?

I'm not expecting many to roll it out at race one as there is a good chance Red Bull or someone will protest its use, but once established on the course I wouldn't be surprised to see multiple teams have it at the following race weekend.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Innocent Bystander said:

Uhh. Ferrari

Yeah but it's not a done deal yet...except by saying thank you already, he's at least making it clear that he's not staying.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Innocent Bystander said:

Would Seb 's ego allow him to be #2 behind Lewis?  Would Charles stay if Ferrari brought in Lewis as a new #1  after he knocked off Seb for top driver? 

Not his ego but his talent would certainly make him #2.  He's driving worse than a lot of others.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, WCB said:

Yeah but it's not a done deal yet...except by saying thank you already, he's at least making it clear that he's not staying.

F1 press is saying he has signed and Ferrari is saying he is confirmed on their FB page, including a pic of him in a red driving suit so I’m thinking pretty solid. Same with Daniel signing with McLaren. 

crazy rumor is that Alonso to Renault with Liberty kicking in some contract money.

Merc still hasn’t confirmed either driver for 2021 leaving open speculation of Seb taking a seat next to Lewis.  Alternatively, Vettel my be retiring as the back of the pack can’t afford him and probably don’t want him.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Innocent Bystander said:

F1 press is saying he has signed and Ferrari is saying he is confirmed on their FB page, including a pic of him in a red driving suit so I’m thinking pretty solid. Same with Daniel signing with McLaren. 

crazy rumor is that Alonso to Renault with Liberty kicking in some contract money.

Merc still hasn’t confirmed either driver for 2021 leaving open speculation of Seb taking a seat next to Lewis.  Alternatively, Vettel my be retiring as the back of the pack can’t afford him and probably don’t want him.

 

The new one I heard yesterday was Lawrence Stroll was going to throw a metric shit ton of money at SV to bring him to Aston Martin (ex-Racing Point, ex-Force India). I dont see that happening as I think SV would rather retire than race for a mid-field or worse team.

MS

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Innocent Bystander said:

F1 press is saying he has signed and Ferrari is saying he is confirmed on their FB page, including a pic of him in a red driving suit so I’m thinking pretty solid. Same with Daniel signing with McLaren. 

crazy rumor is that Alonso to Renault with Liberty kicking in some contract money.

Merc still hasn’t confirmed either driver for 2021 leaving open speculation of Seb taking a seat next to Lewis.  Alternatively, Vettel my be retiring as the back of the pack can’t afford him and probably don’t want him.

 

Thanks. I caught a story last night that they turned to Sainz pretty quickly and signed him.  I meant to go confirm but got sidetracked.

I'd love to see Alonso back.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

at least, something is happening on the 2020 f1 season...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sheesh, Vettel goes to Force Stroll for the rest of the season, as a warmup for driving a Merc in 2021.  Alonso comes back to race a Renault and in a Brawnesque fashion he dominates a short 2020 season and wins the WDC.  FIA hearings and protests and conspiracy theories abound.  Ricciardo still never gets to drink out of his boot.

 

Jeez guys, you need embrace Silly Season more.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, Dilligaf0220 said:

Sheesh, Vettel goes to Force Stroll for the rest of the season, as a warmup for driving a Merc in 2021.  Alonso comes back to race a Renault and in a Brawnesque fashion he dominates a short 2020 season and wins the WDC.  FIA hearings and protests and conspiracy theories abound.  Ricciardo still never gets to drink out of his boot.

 

Jeez guys, you need embrace Silly Season more.

But all these moves are for 2021.  2020 will be the season of discontent

MS

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Dilligaf0220 said:

Sheesh, Vettel goes to Force Stroll for the rest of the season, as a warmup for driving a Merc in 2021. 

No one is going to take Racing Period seriously while it remains daddy buying Jr a drive

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Dilligaf0220 said:

Sheesh, Vettel goes to Force Stroll for the rest of the season, as a warmup for driving a Merc in 2021.  Alonso comes back to race a Renault and in a Brawnesque fashion he dominates a short 2020 season and wins the WDC.  FIA hearings and protests and conspiracy theories abound.  Ricciardo still never gets to drink out of his boot.

 

Jeez guys, you need embrace Silly Season more.

 

Is this factual, or did you forget to use the purple sarcasm font ??

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/19/2020 at 6:38 AM, SCARECROW said:

No one is going to take Racing Period seriously while it remains daddy buying Jr a drive

Force Stroll is the Merc B-team, driving the 2019 Mercedes car. 

Lawrence Stroll has been a long time fixture & player in the F1 paddock, and has history of making things happen.

Daddy might have bought Lance a seat at Williams, but Williams last podium came with Lance driving.

Don't hate the players.

On 5/19/2020 at 7:10 AM, billy backstay said:

 

Is this factual, or did you forget to use the purple sarcasm font ??

Like Murray Walker I don't report on events, I only provide educated predictions that will immediately turn out to be wrong.

On 5/19/2020 at 3:11 AM, Mr. Squirrel said:

But all these moves are for 2021.  2020 will be the season of discontent

MS

All of those moves are possible 2020 scenarios for a shortened season starting in July.

With Indy cancelled Alonso is sniffing around F1 still for a short term ride.  And Renault doesn't have a "big name" driver, after spending big on development for this years car.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

McLaren Group, the Formula One team owner and maker of supercars, is cutting 1,200 jobs as it seeks to weather the impact of the coronavirus crisis on the automotive industry.

The cuts, which amount to more than a quarter of the Surrey-based company’s 4,000 workforce, were first reported by Sky News. The job losses will be spread across the company’s Formula One, road-car and applied technologies operations.

The company has already furloughed a significant number of its employees as the Formula One season and sales of supercars ground to a halt amidst the spread ofCovid-19.

The cuts come as the group seeks to raise £275m from investors, backed against the value of its classic car collection and its state-of-the-art Norman Foster-designed headquarters building.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2020/may/26/formula-one-mclaren-cuts-job-covid-19-racing-season-supercar

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, daan62 said:

and just signed Ricciardo for 35 milion over two years....

payed by the sponsors...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Trovão said:

payed by the sponsors...

Boring for the drivers, but not bad money to possibly be sitting on your arse for the next 2 years. 
 

Feel sorry for the engineers and other team staff. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

sky sports... toto with an interview with brundle

https://www.skysports.com/f1/news/12433/11999852/mercedes-door-not-shut-for-vettel?fbclid=IwAR2-YOyCfCfbpoh7oUQX9mJ0HxLm_3VDveaStcqG_sOuuVpSQJDRn4E4bD4

"We have looked at the situation. Our priority and concentration is on our Mercedes drivers - that's Lewis, Valtteri and the juniors. George Russell being one of them; Esteban Ocon is obviously a Renault driver today.

"And only if we can't find a solution within that group of drivers we will look elsewhere and then obviously Sebastian is in a very good position."

Speaking in a later press conference with the wider media, Wolff said it is not simply out of respect for Vettel that he is not yet discounting the 32-year-old

Wolff pointed to then-newly-crowned world champion Nico Rosberg's sudden retirement at the end of 2016 as an example of how the driver market can be turned on its head completely out of the blue.

"It's not lip service, but we owe it to a four-time champion not to come out and say straight away 'no'. You need to think about it," said Wolff.

"On the other side, we have a fantastic line-up and I've very happy with both our pilots and George, but you never know. One of them may decide he doesn't want to go racing anymore and suddenly you have a vacant spot.

"This is why I don't want to come out in June and say 'no chance, Sebastian is not racing for us'. I wouldn't do it to him as a driver, to be that blunt, and on the otherwise side I've seen black swans appearing when nobody suspected - remember Nico Rosberg. In that respect, we're just keeping our options open, but of course concentrating our discussions with our current drivers."

 

the silly season continues.  merc has poo-pooed the idea of a reverse grid...

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Marcjsmith said:

 

 

the silly season continues.  merc has poo-pooed the idea of a reverse grid...

 

Mixed feelings about a reverse grid. It certainly adds excitement and pole isn't the automatic winner in a parade.  On the other hand, putting cars 3-4 sec/lap faster behind all of the rest brings lots of opportunity for shunts.  A reverse grid at Monaco would be most interesting......

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Innocent Bystander said:

Mixed feelings about a reverse grid. It certainly adds excitement and pole isn't the automatic winner in a parade.  On the other hand, putting cars 3-4 sec/lap faster behind all of the rest brings lots of opportunity for shunts.  A reverse grid at Monaco would be most interesting......

a reverse grid in nascar works,  as the cars can rub, and rubbin is racin.  but the F1 cars,  you sneeze funny and something breaks.  I Do think it would be exciting to watch lewis carve his way through the field.  but some young gun full of piss and vinegar would end up taking him out, not on purpose mind you just from hard racing. and the "Im just as good as lewis" mentality,

what would be really neat to see,  let everyone qualify, and then reverse grid the cars.  Ie put the merc in the back, with the worst driver, and put lewis in the front with the slowest car....

lets find out how much the car contributes....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We have seen Lewis carve through the field when he has had qualifying problems, but rank has its privilege.

Indycars on Saturday!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Marcjsmith said:

a reverse grid in nascar works,  as the cars can rub, and rubbin is racin.  but the F1 cars,  you sneeze funny and something breaks.  I Do think it would be exciting to watch lewis carve his way through the field.  but some young gun full of piss and vinegar would end up taking him out, not on purpose mind you just from hard racing. and the "Im just as good as lewis" mentality,

what would be really neat to see,  let everyone qualify, and then reverse grid the cars.  Ie put the merc in the back, with the worst driver, and put lewis in the front with the slowest car....

lets find out how much the car contributes....

I honesty believe the car contributes abut 60% or more.  There is room in the top 3 constructors for good racing but the car allows Lewis to make remarkable drives.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So just browsing the available options for viewing the new season (in Australia) it looks like it is either pay tv (e.g. Sky Sports), or the F1 TV App - the days of free to air seem to be gone. Also, the F1 TV App seems to provide only limited access to features in Oz.

Any thoughts?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/4/2020 at 4:48 AM, Innocent Bystander said:

Mixed feelings about a reverse grid. It certainly adds excitement and pole isn't the automatic winner in a parade.  On the other hand, putting cars 3-4 sec/lap faster behind all of the rest brings lots of opportunity for shunts.  A reverse grid at Monaco would be most interesting......

Mercedes will struggle in a reverse grid situation.  Their whole car design is based upon the concept of winning poll and then running the race in clean air.  It is why they're willing to sacrifice engine life with "Party Mode" in qualifying.  Their cars suffer in terms of break heat, down force and engine cooling when they're stuck in slow traffic.  They'll still do well, because they're merc but not as well as you'd expect.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/3/2020 at 2:54 PM, Marcjsmith said:

a reverse grid in nascar works,  as the cars can rub, and rubbin is racin.  but the F1 cars,  you sneeze funny and something breaks.  I Do think it would be exciting to watch lewis carve his way through the field.  but some young gun full of piss and vinegar would end up taking him out, not on purpose mind you just from hard racing. and the "Im just as good as lewis" mentality,

what would be really neat to see,  let everyone qualify, and then reverse grid the cars.  Ie put the merc in the back, with the worst driver, and put lewis in the front with the slowest car....

lets find out how much the car contributes....

not gonna lie, that would be really cool to at least seen done once....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No excitement?  First race of 2020 (first two actually) this weekend.  Let's get this started!  I need some racing!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

First I've heard this weekend was going off, that's great news!!  Watching Practice one on DVR.  So Ferrari informed Vettel that he doesn't have a ride next year, who will replace him?  Will he get picked up by another team?  Which one?  Will they be running DAS?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, billy backstay said:

First I've heard this weekend was going off, that's great news!!  Watching Practice one on DVR.  So Ferrari informed Vettel that he doesn't have a ride next year, who will replace him?  Will he get picked up by another team?  Which one?  Will they be running DAS?

2021 line up  (for now, could change at any moment).

Vettel  No ride.

Ferrari:  Carlos Sainz (replacing Vettel) and Leclerc

McLaren:  Daniel Ricciardo (replacing Sainz) with Norris.

Renault:  Open seat, hot rumor is Fernando Alonso may return.

Many unsigned (contracts that expire in 2020) seats, most notably at Mercedes with both Hamilton's and Bottas' contracts up the end of this year. 

By Monday (day after the first race) this may all change.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, captnjoe said:

2021 line up  (for now, could change at any moment).

Vettel  No ride.

Ferrari:  Carlos Sainz (replacing Vettel) and Leclerc

McLaren:  Daniel Ricciardo (replacing Sainz) with Norris.

Renault:  Open seat, hot rumor is Fernando Alonso may return.

Many unsigned (contracts that expire in 2020) seats, most notably at Mercedes with both Hamilton's and Bottas' contracts up the end of this year. 

By Monday (day after the first race) this may all change.

 

Seems poor timing for Ferrari to ax Seb before the first race??  Suppose Seb has a bank up season, maybe wind the Drivers Championship again?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For the first season in about 15 years I might not watch most of the races, when one team has a significant advantage year after year then the other teams drivers skills are almost irrelevant until it rains. Maybe I should take the 3 or 4 hours I would normally spend watching F1 quali and race and brew a good 24l batch of beer,  it will probably be a far more entertaining and satisfying experience.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, billy backstay said:

 

Seems poor timing for Ferrari to ax Seb before the first race??  Suppose Seb has a bank up season, maybe wind the Drivers Championship again?

Pure conjecture here but I think that Ferrari knows that their car is not competitive for 2020 especially with the shortened season.  There are back to back races in the same venue and their upgrades come in race three.  Since the car isn't competitive for 2020 and is essentially frozen for 2021, I believe that they figured that there was no hope of altering the car to favor Vettel's driving style for both 2020 and 2021 and they may as well focus on 2022 without him and save some money in the meantime by going with Sainz.  Plus the cap on the budget is coming down a cool $30mil

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, WCB said:

Pure conjecture here but I think that Ferrari knows that their car is not competitive for 2020 especially with the shortened season.  There are back to back races in the same venue and their upgrades come in race three.  Since the car isn't competitive for 2020 and is essentially frozen for 2021, I believe that they figured that there was no hope of altering the car to favor Vettel's driving style for both 2020 and 2021 and they may as well focus on 2022 without him and save some money in the meantime by going with Sainz.  Plus the cap on the budget is coming down a cool $30mil

 

Thanks for 'splaining, Lucy!!   That makes perfect sense with the budget cap; I was unaware of that.  Seb and Kimi are 2 mature drivers. and I admire both, so I hope they get good rides for 2021!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, WCB said:

Pure conjecture here but I think that Ferrari knows that their car is not competitive for 2020 especially with the shortened season.  There are back to back races in the same venue and their upgrades come in race three.  Since the car isn't competitive for 2020 and is essentially frozen for 2021, I believe that they figured that there was no hope of altering the car to favor Vettel's driving style for both 2020 and 2021 and they may as well focus on 2022 without him and save some money in the meantime by going with Sainz.  Plus the cap on the budget is coming down a cool $30mil

Budget cap doesn’t include drivers wages.  But I agree, I think Ferrari looking further into the future than they traditionally have.  Probably also part of why they went Sainz over DR

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SCARECROW said:

Budget cap doesn’t include drivers wages.  But I agree, I think Ferrari looking further into the future than they traditionally have.  Probably also part of why they went Sainz over DR

 

I'm sure Sainz cost a lot less than Danny Ric!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, billy backstay said:

 

I'm sure Sainz cost a lot less than Danny Ric!!

I’m sure he is (probably about half at most) and always worth saving some money if it’s not going to effect long term results but as stated above drives aren’t included in budget cap and Ferrari were arguing against the reduced cap.  I think it’s more about where they want to be line up wise in 2022.  Sainz will be 28 but Ricciardo an ancient 33

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oscar Piastri getting the job done in his first f3 race.  Having won formula Renault and being part of their academy, I wonder if Renault would consider him for F1 if he can string some wins together over the next couple of months.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ouch

Ferarri's continue to be down on power after the FIA investigation last year shut down what ever it was that they were doing with their engine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The referenced FIA rules:

Article 10.2.3 states that "no adjustment may be made to any suspension system while the car is in motion".

Article 3.8 of the regulations relates to aerodynamic influence, stating that "any specific part of the car influencing its aerodynamic performance must comply with the rules relating to bodywork" and "must be rigidly secured to the entirely sprung part of the car (rigidly secured means not having any degree of freedom)".

Is the steering part of the suspension?

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Sol Rosenberg said:

77967868-6F97-47F8-BF76-72159A5B7E6E.jpeg

^^ apparently not

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, SCARECROW said:

Budget cap doesn’t include drivers wages.  But I agree, I think Ferrari looking further into the future than they traditionally have.  Probably also part of why they went Sainz over DR

I never said it did, but the budget cap affects how you develop a car and try to make it drivable for Vettel when LeClerc seems to drive it just fine.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Vettel has shown lots of questionable judgement whenever he’s not the clear number 1.  LeClerk is clearly Ferrari’s choice going forward and the car will be developed for him. History says Vettel is happy to crash out his team mate rather than be the dutiful domestique.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Innocent Bystander said:

History says Vettel is happy to crash out his team mate rather than be the dutiful domestique.  

Vet gotta catch lec first, and being two rows back won’t help his cause.  

Would it be smart for Ferrari to give Vet, the driver scorned, the best hardware or the best tuning?  Me thinks Ferrari would detune vet if he started showing signs of too much aggression towards lec

or bring him in and put the white walls on and let him slug it out with the back markers...

good job for bot...glad his argicultural excursion didn’t hurt the car...

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Had kind of senior moment when I 1st checked the broadcast time, 5:55AM?!!

It was when I went upstairs & checked again that the light bulb came on Austria & the Craft Beer King, wait that's not right it's the Dreadful Thing, err um I mean Red Bull Ring, that's what I meant.

 

 

 

 

All good though, got a mind like a steel flap, I mean crap, I mean trap!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Has Bottas found some killer instinct?  All the genuine threats to his pole had completed their last qualifying lap except Hamilton when he went off and leaving the track with Hamilton behind him was always going to trigger a yellow flag.  Just saying....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wish I could hear the engines over the voices of these two brits yelling into their microphones.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If the F1TV app fucked or is it just me?

I got nuthin

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites