Nice!

The F1 2020 thread

5 hours ago, Major Tom said:

unless F1 does something to allow teams to play catch up the sport is history.

It’s a very long term strategy but there is a rule in the new agreement they’re all about to sign that gives teams further down the grid more wind tunnel testing time than the leaders the following season.

with car development basically pinned for the next 18 months for budget reasons don’t expect any major changes at the front though.  At best red bull will get on top of their setup issues and make their cars a little easier to drive.

a huge part of the gap today (spoiler alert) was because of Haas’s strategy that put cars that usually run around 17 & 18 at the front of the pack.  It’s a hard track to pass on so they slowed everyone behind them down until each car was able to overtake them.

5 hours ago, Innocent Bystander said:

I saw gone great racing for positions 5-12.  Often 3-4 cars fighting for points placing with the occasional podium contender coming through following a pit stop. Enough weather to make strategy a real consideration and punish overly conservative plays.  Even Haas had a great strategy call. 

I agree!!  The sport is not dead yet.  I never would have thought that Racing Point, and McLaren would be ahead of Ferrari, after 3 races.  Like the last race, great racing in the middle of the fleet..

• Like 1

5 hours ago, SCARECROW said:

It’s a very long term strategy but there is a rule in the new agreement they’re all about to sign that gives teams further down the grid more wind tunnel testing time than the leaders the following season.

with car development basically pinned for the next 18 months for budget reasons don’t expect any major changes at the front though.  At best red bull will get on top of their setup issues and make their cars a little easier to drive.

a huge part of the gap today (spoiler alert) was because of Haas’s strategy that put cars that usually run around 17 & 18 at the front of the pack.  It’s a hard track to pass on so they slowed everyone behind them down until each car was able to overtake them.

That is all fine and good for those with aero problems, but the power units are basically frozen for the next 3 years (only allowed 1 upgrade this year, 1 upgrade next year, and none after that) so it will be nigh impossible for Ferrari and Honda to make up the power gap to the Merc powered cars.

MS

1 hour ago, Mr. Squirrel said:

That is all fine and good for those with aero problems, but the power units are basically frozen for the next 3 years (only allowed 1 upgrade this year, 1 upgrade next year, and none after that) so it will be nigh impossible for Ferrari and Honda to make up the power gap to the Merc powered cars.

MS

you can't expect the rules to change because someone got caught red handed and is now playing catch up.  Even then, I don't believe there is that much in it engine wise.  If the merc engine was a game changer Williams wouldn't have been stuck looking at break lights for the last few years.  Racing point made a major aero/ package change this year and went from hoping to make Q3 to locking out the second row on the grid. 

They've been more subtle about it but this year Red Bull, Mclaren and Renault have all moved towards the Mercedes narrow nose as well. 

Does Bottas have what it takes?  Top tier car. Proven speed.  Shit start yesterday and could not chase down and pass the RB in the end despite more power and better tires. He’s good but not great and  not the next #1 driver.  

who should Merc be looking at for 22?  

I think Bottas is a very political appointment.  Good enough to clean up the crumbs but not quite good enough to consistently compete with the golden goose and risk too much turbulence in the team.   Having said that, he did beat Massa consistently for three years when he was as Williams.  The thing with F1 is some drivers just never get the ride required to show what they've really got and some get the ride and as a result end up looking better than they are/were.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Innocent Bystander said:

who should Merc be looking at for 22?  

right now I'm seeing either Russell or Norris (Mclaren switching to Merc engine next year will help there).  Outside bet would be Ocon but he'll need to be consistently beating Ricciardo by the end of the year and will have to outshine Alonso next year to get their attention.  If he can't beat his grandparents / team mates then it will be hard to make the case to his manager.  Similarly Norris needs to stabilize above Sainz for the rest of the year and then at least match Ricciardo next year to get the job.  Mercedes policy of farming their young drivers out to other teams gives them a lot of opportunity to watch them develop. 

18 hours ago, billy backstay said:

I agree!!  The sport is not dead yet. 

Not dead, but the Season is. The current racing is not a reflection of F1 if the season were doing each event as usual.
It is fun to watch but something is missing......................Oh, variety of tracks and fans.

so I never saw the start of the race  live just watched a replay on f1,  they are saying that bottas didn't jump the start,  be he says the did?, and the replay shows that he moved,  was it because he stayed inside the box? or they he self corrected and let a bunch past before he started racing...

how is that not a penalty?

1 hour ago, Marcjsmith said:

so I never saw the start of the race  live just watched a replay on f1,  they are saying that bottas didn't jump the start,  be he says the did?, and the replay shows that he moved,  was it because he stayed inside the box? or they he self corrected and let a bunch past before he started racing...

how is that not a penalty?

he moved, but not enough for the sensors to feel it and consider it a start jump.

but halting to avoid the jump caused him lose momentum and start late, which ended kinda ruining his race

14 minutes ago, silent bob said:

https://jalopnik.com/racing-point-driver-sergio-perez-has-tested-positive-fo-1844562963

Not a good time to catch the ‘Rona, when your career is on the line!  It’ll be interesting to see who the replacement driver is.  

Really dumb behavior!!!

10 hours ago, captnjoe said:

Vettel, will be happy to move up to a faster car sooner.

Win for the team also!

13 hours ago, silent bob said:

Not a good time to catch the ‘Rona, when your career is on the line!  

sergio is pretty highly regarded, haven't heard a single whisper that his 'career is on the line'.  What's sad is that he's got the first real podium car in his career and he should be on or near it every race this year.  except the ones where he's infected.

13 hours ago, billy backstay said:

Really dumb behavior!!!

Apparently he went back to visit his mother who had an accident recently. Flew via private jet.

Wow!!  Both Red Bull and one Racing Point ahead of Ferrari after P1!!  Great to see Nico back on the track, hope they can fix his uncomfortable seat before Sunday.

+1 on the Hulk. Considering he has had no time in the car he wasn't that far off Stroll either. I think Albon will be done pretty soon. DM and HM do not have a lot of patience when it comes to not performing. I wonder if there is an opportunity for the Hulk there or even Perez if he recovers from the bug.

3 minutes ago, vibroman said:

+1 on the Hulk. Considering he has had no time in the car he wasn't that far off Stroll either. I think Albon will be done pretty soon. DM and HM do not have a lot of patience when it comes to not performing. I wonder if there is an opportunity for the Hulk there or even Perez if he recovers from the bug.

I would not rule out Sergio going to RB to replace Albon.

MS

3 hours ago, Mr. Squirrel said:

I would not rule out Sergio going to RB to replace Albon.

MS

Albon has certainly not proven he can do well with good equipment...

Moments of speed but the car is better than he is. RBR tens to bring up junior drivers but both “alphatauri” drivers have been on the big stage before and demoted. Would love to see Hulk back in a seat and don’t want to see Perez lose the game of musical chairs. 

36 minutes ago, Innocent Bystander said:

Moments of speed but the car is better than he is. RBR tens to bring up junior drivers but both “alphatauri” drivers have been on the big stage before and demoted. Would love to see Hulk back in a seat and don’t want to see Perez lose the game of musical chairs. 

Agree that Perez should stay in the game, if possible.  RE your musical chairs analogy, there seems to be more good, qualified drivers available, than seats to fill??

10 minutes ago, billy backstay said:

there seems to be more good, qualified drivers available, than seats to fill??

I can't remember a time in F1 when that was not the case.  Perez however is not one who will be left out.  

• Like 1

You get back to the PreQualifying era of late 1980s to Monaco 1995 (last full 26 car F1 starting grid) there were more than a few comparably mediocre drivers and bad seats, but that was a long long time ago.

I mean, did we just expect Albon to win the championship this year?

With all of his 'struggles' he is only 11 points behind Max and fifth in the standings. If you take the Mercs out of the equation (because you really can't count them even against Max in third) he's in third place. I'm no Red Bull fan, but I think some of the criticism of Albon is a little unfair, that's all.... I could certainly be proven wrong as the season progresses, but it is a little early to put nails in his coffin... half hour till quali!

1 hour ago, suider said:

I mean, did we just expect Albon to win the championship this year?

With all of his 'struggles' he is only 11 points behind Max and fifth in the standings. If you take the Mercs out of the equation (because you really can't count them even against Max in third) he's in third place. I'm no Red Bull fan, but I think some of the criticism of Albon is a little unfair, that's all.... I could certainly be proven wrong as the season progresses, but it is a little early to put nails in his coffin... half hour till quali!

While I agree he’s better than average, RB has a history of limited patience. 

1 hour ago, Innocent Bystander said:

While I agree he’s better than average, RB has a history of limited patience. 

Albon didn't look average today.  Even Vettel out  qualified him.

WOW, finished on 3 tires...was talking with my wife about LH qualifying first and she said "every race lewis breaks a record". What a great driver.

• Like 1

Different tire choice next week;  One step softer for all three compounds.  Hard tires for Q2?

• Like 1

Ghastly must have felt good finishing ahead of Albon. Alex needs his confidence back because he's lost the edge. 

On 7/31/2020 at 2:16 PM, MR.CLEAN said:

I can't remember a time in F1 when that was not the case.  Perez however is not one who will be left out.  

Could make sone room with the two Haas drivers!

6 hours ago, b green said:

WOW, finished on 3 tires...was talking with my wife about LH qualifying first and she said "every race lewis breaks a record". What a great driver.

That was smart race craft whomever made that decision. Newey and Horner must have shit their pants when Lewis went by pit in. Must not have entered their calcs but then they did not have much time to make a decision. I would have to look at it again, perhaps when Bottas fell back they thought they had room to bring Max in to shoot for the fast lap and the Hamilton tire failure happened when Max was already committed to that. Fun finish though. GOod race.

Gutted for hulk.
Bit of a procession till lat couple of laps. Early word  is debris on the punctures and it was the right front that was badly graining. Not the left.  However the way the treads separated was not the explosive way a puncture usually goes. It was more a deflation. With the softer compounds next week might add a little spice to the proceedings

1 hour ago, silent bob said:

Could make sone room with the two Haas drivers!

unless he dies of the mexican flu

Pretty surprising how poor SV looked all weekend.  Problem after problem.  Never got the car under him and but for punctures was out of the points.

Nice showing by the Renaults and but for a puncture by McLarens would have scored big points.

I wish the drivers would just go to their new teams already - the racing would be MUCH better.

MS

But for his last minute pit stop, Max might have won, no?

5 minutes ago, billy backstay said:

Or had a puncture....

MS

• Like 1

7 hours ago, billy backstay said:

I think so, His tyres were no where near as blistered as LH and VB. Neither were LeClercs… 

Grosjean is scary enough on any given day, him moving around under braking has got to be a poo displacement experience for the guy trying to pass... 

1 hour ago, Movable Ballast said:

Grosjean is scary enough on any given day, him moving around under braking has got to be a poo displacement experience for the guy trying to pass... 

Magnussen is predictable at least. Always takes the apex no matter who is there. I bet he keeps all the doors in this apartment closed.

• Like 1