Nice!

The F1 2020 thread

10 hours ago, MR.CLEAN said:

By every possible metric Lewis has now eclipsed them all.  Fangio, Senna, Schumacher.

Why bother addressing 'naysayers' when their are no facts left to bitch about other than their racism?

Whilst Schumacher and Hamilton are almost contempories, their stats are very similar so it’s possible to compare..

Senna, Clark and Fangio are impossible to compare because of the differences in times they raced..

except for someone who considers himself to be the most expert on F1 here..and perhaps the least racist man in the room..

On 10/23/2020 at 11:23 PM, SCARECROW said:

If that's the plan then a lot of people are going to be watching the last couple of F2 rounds very closely.  Marzepin, doesn't have enough points on his licence to drive F1 and needs to finish in the top 5 to get them.  He's currently equal 5th on points and the way I read the table it appears possibly 6th on count back (not sure how that works in car racing).

There is plenty of cash available with Perez as a driver and you get feedback on car development. 

I wonder if Ferrari would prefer Schumacher to be with HAAS or ALFA.  I can't help but think he'd learn more driving along side Raikkonen than most of the other options.

I didn’t say it was the plan but it’s my bet what will happen, no question Perez would be a great choice, whether he would want to mentor Mick to be better than him I don’t know..perhaps he’s been outbid by the marzepins...

...Martin B said this weekend that Alfa are looking at being the Italian choice and will go for kimi and Gio...someone else on the broadcast said that Haas are leaning to Mick and marzepin...

15 minutes ago, ro! said:

I didn’t say it was the plan but it’s my bet what will happen, no question Perez would be a great choice, whether he would want to mentor Mick to be better than him I don’t know..perhaps he’s been outbid by the marzepins...

...Martin B said this weekend that Alfa are looking at being the Italian choice and will go for kimi and Gio...someone else on the broadcast said that Haas are leaning to Mick and marzepin...

Haas need a veteran. No way two rookies are going to help them develop the car. They should hire perez

1 hour ago, Chris in Santa Cruz, CA said:

Haas need a veteran. No way two rookies are going to help them develop the car. They should hire perez

It’s a good thing you are around to give Gene Haas advice...but it seems to be about the money..

no matter who they put in the car next year it’s not going to change the results, they develop and build virtually nothing themselves and rely on Ferrari for second tier motors and pretty much everything else apart from Dallara building them a tub that accepts all the Ferrari bits.. Having Mick assaigned to them will help that cause, and getting a massive injection of cash might bring Human Resources from the pit lane to turn them into a proper F1 team..

Interesting comments from uncle Ralf here, saying what most people seem to agree with that two young drivers is a hiding just won't work.

8 hours ago, ro! said:

It’s a good thing you are around to give Gene Haas advice...but it seems to be about the money..

no matter who they put in the car next year it’s not going to change the results, they develop and build virtually nothing themselves and rely on Ferrari for second tier motors and pretty much everything else apart from Dallara building them a tub that accepts all the Ferrari bits.. Having Mick assaigned to them will help that cause, and getting a massive injection of cash might bring Human Resources from the pit lane to turn them into a proper F1 team..

Yeah it's a shame. They still need an experienced driver.

On 10/25/2020 at 10:27 AM, Chris in Santa Cruz, CA said:

Gasly and Perez, racers of the day behind Lewis who just plain proved why he has 92 wins. Dominant control of the race and of his tire temps and wear. Lewis did a better job of setting up his car for the race and Bottas just never got his tire management worked out. Like Bottas, Vettel never got the tires working correctly but his head is not in it and I don't know why they keep him in the car.

How Gasly and Russell aren't with bigger teams next year is head scratcher. Friggin Russell wrings the neck of that Williams for the entire race as well as races for every position like he's in the lead. Perez is without a drive right now. Haas is rumored to be looking at Mick Schumacher and Mazepin from GP2 but they should hire Perez to have a veteran to help a newbie. I guess Gasly is slighly rumored for a Renault seat but Hulk is still in the wings. I would go for Gasly no question.

Hamilton GOTG, Greatest Of This Generation.  Much as I don’t compare Fangio to Stewart, Stewart to Lauda, Prost, Senna, and Piquet, and that group to Schumacher, I don’t compare Hamilton to any of those before him. He is an excellent driver, no doubt.  He has had an exceptional run of cars, much like Lauda, Piquet, Prost and Senna.  I wonder how many more races And Championships Prost would have won, if he hadn’t had such strong teammates?  We’ll never know!  Other than 2007 against Alanso, and 2014-2016 against Rosberg, he hasn’t had the teammate to press him hard.  Nothing against Bottas, I think he could have a title in his future. 

There’s a ton of talent out there, as well as a several tons of money.  I’d love to see a overstocked field of cars and drivers.  Back when we had Pre-Qualifing.  You had to set a time.  You weren’t guaranteed a spot on the grid. You can look back in history, and see a whole lot of names that never got a fair chance, and many that got to hang around way too long without ever showing why they were there.  Would Stroll be around if daddy wasn’t a Billionaire?  I think he’s a young, talented driver with potential, but I don’t know if he wouldn’t have made it to the grid without the money behind him. Would Mazepin be a consideration if daddy weren’t also a Billionaire?  

Vettel, Räikkönen, Alonso, staying around past their expiration date?  Very mixed feelings.  They all have records that are hard to argue with.  It will be very interesting to see how it progresses next year. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, silent bob said:

Vettel, Räikkönen, Alonso, staying around past their expiration date?  Very mixed feelings.  They all have records that are hard to argue with.  It will be very interesting to see how it progresses next year. 

A good way to answer this question is to imagine any of them in Bottas Mercedes up against Hamilton.  Vettel would be smoked.  Räikkönen would give a good account of himself but still be beaten - probably just a shade slower than Bottas.  Not sure about Alonso, he had the ability to beat Hamilton but he's been out of a competitive F1 car for a long while.  If he has kept himself fit he would at least be the equal of Räikkönen.  I doubt he could beat Hamilton. 

All three would likely be behind Verstappen at the finish.

• Like 1

I haven't hidden that Bottas is my favorite driver- and I just try and stay away from the if 'x driver' was in Hamilton's car arguments- but suffice to say I think they are wrong. I would go even further and say that Bottas is the best 'raw' driver in the whole series- and what I mean by that is EVERY race this year (and most of last) he is the fastest out of the trailer (FP1, FP2 at least... and a fair amount of FP3s).

Obviously (unfortunately for me as a Bottas fan) there is a lot more than that to a successful weekend, and anyone that thinks that LH doesn't have that sometimes inhuman drive to win is just wrong. But I DO feel Bottas is the second best driver on the grid, with Verstappen being really close. Watch some of his earlier races and he was putting a Williams where it had no business being week in and week out. And Hamilton hasn't lapped him in the same car (looking at you, Albon!)

7 hours ago, suider said:

I haven't hidden that Bottas is my favorite driver- and I just try and stay away from the if 'x driver' was in Hamilton's car arguments- but suffice to say I think they are wrong. I would go even further and say that Bottas is the best 'raw' driver in the whole series- and what I mean by that is EVERY race this year (and most of last) he is the fastest out of the trailer (FP1, FP2 at least... and a fair amount of FP3s).

Obviously (unfortunately for me as a Bottas fan) there is a lot more than that to a successful weekend, and anyone that thinks that LH doesn't have that sometimes inhuman drive to win is just wrong. But I DO feel Bottas is the second best driver on the grid, with Verstappen being really close. Watch some of his earlier races and he was putting a Williams where it had no business being week in and week out. And Hamilton hasn't lapped him in the same car (looking at you, Albon!)

There is no doubt Bottas has "something".  His ability to quickly adapt to each new track and be fast out of the box as seen every Friday demonstrates that.  The problem is he also seems to be lacking that last 1% that turns friday speed into pole and race wins.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SCARECROW said:

There is no doubt Bottas has "something".  His ability to quickly adapt to each new track and be fast out of the box as seen every Friday demonstrates that.  The problem is he also seems to be lacking that last 1% that turns friday speed into pole and race wins.  

Not arguing that Valteri is not fastest in practice, but why can't he bring that A game on race day?  Serious question, not trolling here....

2 hours ago, billy backstay said:

Not arguing that Valteri is not fastest in practice, but why can't he bring that A game on race day?  Serious question, not trolling here....

The mental side of driving an F1 car is as important as the physical.  I think Lewis has a greater ability to analyze and fine-tune his driving on race day - so while Bottas is better prepared, Hamilton is more adaptable and self-critical.  We only get to hear a small part of the conversation between the driver and the race engineer; I suspect listening to those exchanges for an entire race would be revealing.  Hamilton also manages tires at a higher speed than Bottas - who noticeably slows down when doing tire management.  

I could be completely full of shit, these are just WAG's.

12 hours ago, SCARECROW said:

Oh, I get it... it has been really frustrating as a fan of his!!

I think my point(?) was more that I dislike the "if Max was in Valtteri's car" arguments....and certainly not just in this thread- in all kinds of coverage- everyone wants to make the argument that Bottas is only where he is because of the car and I just don't think that is fair or accurate. He is at Mercedes because of what he did in other cars (remember, Merc had all of the development drivers that are racing now when they chose to pull him from Willaims instead). Sure, Mercedes has dominated the turbo-hybrid era, there is no denying that. But clearly RBR have pace now, and I don't see nearly the same amount of Verstappen/Albon comparisons as I do Hamilton/Bottas. Put Bottas in Albon's car and Max would be in a different race on the team, IMHO. 

And I do have to agree with Rain Man... Valtteri has lost some of his tire management skills in the W11 for sure... he used to be really good at managing tires and something has certainly changed as Merc has changed the downforce (or DAS? who knows) on this iteration....

also @SCARECROW.... good battle in the F1 fantasy.... now if only I could get whichever RP driver I pick for the weekend to finish a race....

Hamilton has the most wins.  But what are the winning percentages of the various great drivers?  Back in the fifties and sixties there were very few races per year compared to now.  Look at Kimi.  He has the most starts of all drivers, and a world title, but his win percentage must not be too good 

8 hours ago, suider said:

Oh, I get it... it has been really frustrating as a fan of his!!

I think my point(?) was more that I dislike the "if Max was in Valtteri's car" arguments....and certainly not just in this thread- in all kinds of coverage- everyone wants to make the argument that Bottas is only where he is because of the car and I just don't think that is fair or accurate. He is at Mercedes because of what he did in other cars (remember, Merc had all of the development drivers that are racing now when they chose to pull him from Willaims instead). Sure, Mercedes has dominated the turbo-hybrid era, there is no denying that. But clearly RBR have pace now, and I don't see nearly the same amount of Verstappen/Albon comparisons as I do Hamilton/Bottas. Put Bottas in Albon's car and Max would be in a different race on the team, IMHO. 

And I do have to agree with Rain Man... Valtteri has lost some of his tire management skills in the W11 for sure... he used to be really good at managing tires and something has certainly changed as Merc has changed the downforce (or DAS? who knows) on this iteration....

agreed. bottas was pretty consistent at williams before going to mercedes.

A bit of a shocker here.  Kimi and Antonio staying at AR for 2021.  Figured the team might go for the money of pay drivers, but they did re-up with AR yesterday.

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/article.breaking-alfa-romeo-to-retain-raikkonen-and-giovinazzi-in-unchanged-2021.19pDOGCQr6fEivcPLGv4MZ.html?fbclid=IwAR1GFdGtZ_RH_FqyjhzdUHpsBT_c69mFNu-9pRBDceuRwSyT2YIo_V-DA1M

MS

23 hours ago, suider said:

also @SCARECROW.... good battle in the F1 fantasy.... now if only I could get whichever RP driver I pick for the weekend to finish a race....

They’re a fucking nightmare, they should be cheap points.  I got sick of picking McLaren drivers for the same reason.  

9 hours ago, SCARECROW said:

Looks like a driver salary cap is on its way.  Not a big shock teams would vote for this, no skin of their noses.  Does put pressure on Hamilton to commit and commit long term to Mercedes.

https://www.autoweek.com/racing/formula-1/a34523543/f1-teams-vote-for-salary-cap-that-could-force-lewis-hamiltons-hand/

I suspect there will be bonus opportunities and drivers will be free to make team approved sponsorship deals. Cut Lewis’s salary and give him a $15M “brand spokesman” deal with Petronas and you have a classic F-1 loophole. Petronas just gives $$ directly to Lewis rather than washing them through the team. Then, of course, Ferrari will have a separate arrangement because- Ferrari.

FIA isn’t going to geld the world’s best known sportsman. 

20 hours ago, SCARECROW said:

Looks like a driver salary cap is on its way.  Not a big shock teams would vote for this, no skin of their noses.  Does put pressure on Hamilton to commit and commit long term to Mercedes.

https://www.autoweek.com/racing/formula-1/a34523543/f1-teams-vote-for-salary-cap-that-could-force-lewis-hamiltons-hand/

or to retire?

On 10/29/2020 at 5:34 PM, SCARECROW said:

On 10/30/2020 at 3:40 AM, Innocent Bystander said:

I suspect there will be bonus opportunities and drivers will be free to make team approved sponsorship deals. Cut Lewis’s salary and give him a $15M “brand spokesman” deal with Petronas and you have a classic F-1 loophole. Petronas just gives $$ directly to Lewis rather than washing them through the team. Then, of course, Ferrari will have a separate arrangement because- Ferrari.

FIA isn’t going to geld the world’s best known sportsman. 

On 10/30/2020 at 2:12 PM, Trovão said:

or to retire?

Don't many of the Drivers also have Private Sponsors that go with the Driver wherever he goes?
I would think many of the young drivers with a proper management Company would get tons of personal sponsors.

• Like 1

On 10/30/2020 at 2:12 PM, Trovão said:

or to retire?

Lauda got paid to wear his Parmalat hat for years after he retired!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, silent bob said:

Lauda got paid to wear his Parmalat hat for years after he retired!

How do you handle drivers who pay the team for their spot?  Are they a net loss.  So if I have Perez bringing in $20m in cash, does that mean I can pay my other driver $60m and still be under a $40m combined cap?

If it wasn't for bad luck, Bottas would have no luck at all.  Verstappen was robbed.  Hamilton got an amazing gift from the race director, and Ricciardo got a another shoey.  Good racing, lots of great driving.  The producers at Sky have learned to focus on the mid-field battles and ignore the Mercs out front.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Rain Man said:

Hamilton got an amazing gift from the race director

Wouldn’t call it a gift,  they had to remove  ocons  car from the track.  I guess the stewards could have waitedg until Hamilton drove past pit entry to throw the caution..  but he likely would have pitted the next time by, and still had an advantage.  

Nit a hamilton fanboy, but he was clicking off some fast laps on the old medium tires  once max and Valtteri pitted for the hards. 

give Hamilton a clear track he can do some amazing things with the car.  He seems to be able to make his own good luck..  deal with the devil maybe?

Bummer for max,  he was looking very good..bummer for Valtteri for the floor damage.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Rain Man said:

If it wasn't for bad luck, Bottas would have no luck at all.  Verstappen was robbed.  Hamilton got an amazing gift from the race director, and Ricciardo got a another shoey.  Good racing, lots of great driving.  The producers at Sky have learned to focus on the mid-field battles and ignore the Mercs out front.  

THIS!! ^^^^  Way more excitement midfield, than the procession at he front!

It is an interesting sport where moderate competency and a rich daddy means you get to compete at the highest level of competency. I picture (actually not) someone showing up at the door of Tottenham Hotspurs, Detroit Pistons, St Louis Cardinals, etc with a $10 million contribution to the team in return for a roster spot. Actually would make more sense in these other sports where being the last relief pitcher on the roster or substitute punter would be less important to team success than being an F1 driver.

4 hours ago, Bristol-Cruiser said:

It is an interesting sport where moderate competency and a rich daddy means you get to compete at the highest level of competency. I picture (actually not) someone showing up at the door of Tottenham Hotspurs, Detroit Pistons, St Louis Cardinals, etc with a $10 million contribution to the team in return for a roster spot. Actually would make more sense in these other sports where being the last relief pitcher on the roster or substitute punter would be less important to team success than being an F1 driver.

I think as Toto Wolfe pointed out the other day moderate relent and and rich Dad probably isn’t enough or at least not anymore with the super licence system.  You’ve basically got to be consistently in the top 5-6 single seat drivers out side F1 in the world for 2 years to get enough points.

On 11/2/2020 at 6:19 PM, SCARECROW said:

I think as Toto Wolfe pointed out the other day moderate relent and and rich Dad probably isn’t enough or at least not anymore with the super licence system.  You’ve basically got to be consistently in the top 5-6 single seat drivers out side F1 in the world for 2 years to get enough points.

As it should be!  But financial reality's will always play a factor..

3 hours ago, billy backstay said:

As it should be!  But financial reality's will always play a factor..

True, as Hamilton has pointed out.  You’ve got to have the cash to be able to compete at a high enough level until sponsors come on board.  A bit like sailing.

2 hours ago, SCARECROW said:

True, as Hamilton has pointed out.  You’ve got to have the cash to be able to compete at a high enough level until sponsors come on board.  A bit like sailing.

A bit like everything!! 

Read an article that speculated LH may call it quits after this season as he has not yet resigned with Merc...

2 hours ago, Liquid said:

Read an article that speculated LH may call it quits after this season as he has not yet resigned with Merc...

He certainly doesn't need the money any more!!  Given the Covid disaster, perhaps he chooses to move into the role of a wealthy young early retiree?  Charity work?? 

He said in a recent interview that he was having trouble maintaining his body and mind at the high level needed to be at the top of this game.   Who could blame him?  He has nothing left to prove anymore.  It must have been an eye-opener for him a few years back when Nico Rosberg won the drivers championship then immediately retired.

While he'd never admit to it getting boring, you can't help but think some of the thrill/motivation goes when you know that unless your car blows up you or your team mate will win. Even more so when you've broken every record out there already.  What we don't know with these modern drivers is how much of an engineering/management mind they have.  Could he be the person Toto is considering to run the team?

Then of course he has his Extreme E team...

I think he'll do one more year.  Why risk going into the new cars in 2022 where there is a chance someone will leapfrog Mercedes and end up being another ex-champion lapping in the midfield.

1 hour ago, SCARECROW said:

While he'd never admit to it getting boring, you can't help but think some of the thrill/motivation goes when you know that unless your car blows up you or your team mate will win. Even more so when you've broken every record out there already.  What we don't know with these modern drivers is how much of an engineering/management mind they have.  Could he be the person Toto is considering to run the team?

Then of course he has his Extreme E team...

I think he'll do one more year.  Why risk going into the new cars in 2022 where there is a chance someone will leapfrog Mercedes and end up being another ex-champion lapping in the midfield.

I thought we had the new cars next year.   Checked the F1 website and I think next year is it: 

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/article.2021-f1-rules-the-key-changes-explained.2dCtCkxNofk20K1B4rJwTk.html#:~:text=2021 F1 cars will have,tyres with 18-inch rims.

20 minutes ago, Rain Man said:

Keep checking.  That story was written October last year.  New cars got put back 12 months due to Covid’s effect on everyone’s budgets.  Next year’s have to be as per this year with teams given upgrade “tokens” to make improvements/ changes.  And they can put in a new spec (same rules) engine.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, b green said:

Blind corners!, G force! going to be a good race!

And a course the drivers are not that familiar with. How many finishers I wonder?

I'm in S. Carolina, hope Xfinity at this house has it!?  If not, I can stream it from the DVR copy at home, on laptop.

Tomorrow is going to be very interesting!

Loved the video of the street cars running the track on Friday night trying to add some grip to it.  Then the rain came so it didn't matter.

• Like 1

I'm in S. Carolina, hope Xfinity at this house has it!?  If not, I can stream it from the DVR copy at home, on laptop.

ESPN MAIN CHANNEL THIS WEEK

has been on ESPN2 more often

btw SEBRING 12 HOUR GT AND P-CAR rescheduled from march normal date also season championship final is on NBCSN NOW

2 hours ago, mathystuff said:

Mandatory rain for F1 racing, please.

Q2 was pretty messed up with rain, and it appears that Q3 will not be run, next taping on Xfinity is the main event at 3:30 AM EST.

the track, with the new pavement + the rain made an interesting practice. let's see how it goes tomorrow...

1 hour ago, billy backstay said:

Q2 was pretty messed up with rain, and it appears that Q3 will not be run, next taping on Xfinity is the main event at 3:30 AM EST.

It was run...I watched the whole thing on Roku/Youtube.  Though the red flag in Q1 slowed everything way down, luckily I was able to just fast forward until the action resumed.  Surprising and fun results from Q3 too!  It will be an interesting start tomorrow that's for sure.

ESPN showed the entire quali. Short interruption at the very end of Q-2 and a long commercial. Showed all of Q-3 including interviews. 

BIlly. Set your recorder to an extra hour and it won’t shut off if there is a red flag.  

4 minutes ago, Innocent Bystander said:

ESPN showed the entire quali. Short interruption at the very end of Q-2 and a long commercial. Showed all of Q-3 including interviews. 

BIlly. Set your recorder to an extra hour and it won’t shut off if there is a red flag.  

My bad, I forgot to extend recording, AGAIN!!!

It’s going to be an interesting first lap.  Neither the red bulls or the racing points have been starting very well so if the haven’t been swamped in the first couple of corners they’re going to be feeling the pressure.  If Max makes it to the end of the 1st lap it’s his race to loose.  2nd could be anyone.

could this be a no Mercedes podium?  They don’t handle running in traffic we’ll.

If you are willing to risk torrents, the whole quali can be downloaded in about 15 minutes.  Google is your friend.

6 hours ago, billy backstay said:

My bad, I forgot to extend recording, AGAIN!!!

Best race for many years!

And the winner deserved this one, as much as I don't like him he drove a masterclass.

• Like 2

Thats the most emotional I have seen Lewis on the cool down lap.

Great to see Seb and Sergio too.  Old(er) guys rule !!!

• Like 1

Race had not even  started when DVR stopped.  How can I watch the recorded actual race, please?   Google not helping me find this, except various outfits want me to pay to join, without telling me I can actually watch the entire Turkish GP?

32 minutes ago, billy backstay said:

Race had not even  started when DVR stopped.  How can I watch the recorded actual race, please?   Google not helping me find this, except various outfits want me to pay to join, without telling me I can actually watch the entire Turkish GP?

It’ll prolly be in espn or espn2 later today. 

1 hour ago, Sol Rosenberg said:

Yes at 3:30.  Found replay on ESPN, but same as my home recording they had not started yet, at the end of the hour and a half telecast.... Wristwach alarm set for 3:10, so even if we are out and about, I will be able to return to the Beach house here by 3:30....

interesting race, but in the end... it didn't even matter.

congrats on lh, he deserved the win, raced very tactically, using his brain... the winners make their own "luck"!

44 minutes ago, b green said:

Sergio deserves some praise...and seat next year. 

definately...

7 hours ago, Sol Rosenberg said:

6 hours ago, billy backstay said:

Yes at 3:30.  Found replay on ESPN, but same as my home recording they had not started yet, at the end of the hour and a half telecast.... Wristwach alarm set for 3:10, so even if we are out and about, I will be able to return to the Beach house here by 3:30....

If you guys pay for cable or satellite.  Down load the ESPN app for your tele. The ESPN will ask if you have a provider. Then you can watch at your leisure.. I woke up 7am pst, coffee and F1 in bed. Pause when needed.

1 hour ago, Meat Wad said:

If you guys pay for cable or satellite.  Down load the ESPN app for your tele. The ESPN will ask if you have a provider. Then you can watch at your leisure.. I woke up 7am pst, coffee and F1 in bed. Pause when needed.

MIssed the first 13 laps trying to watch on Brave, but had to switch to Chrome for it to work.  Lots for buffering delays and degraded picture quality on the ESPN replay...

LH certainly deserves the credit, but who would have thought 1st and 2nd could do a 0 stop strategy and make it work?  They are calling them "Slictermediates"

the-car-of-lewis-hamilton-merc.jpg

MS

24 minutes ago, Mr. Squirrel said:

LH certainly deserves the credit, but who would have thought 1st and 2nd could do a 0 stop strategy and make it work?  They are calling them "Slictermediates"

MS

They stopped once, started on wets. pretty sure those tires are meant to have about a 10-15 lap life. 

11 hours ago, billy backstay said:

All replays Available on F1 TV app

2 hours ago, Mr. Squirrel said:

MS

they started with the rain tires (blue stripe) and made 1 pitstop, when they've changed to the intermediaries (green stripe).

17 hours ago, billy backstay said:

MIssed the first 13 laps trying to watch on Brave, but had to switch to Chrome for it to work.  Lots for buffering delays and degraded picture quality on the ESPN replay...

Brave has issues. I have a roku device with the ESPN app. Works great.

I also watch the Vendee with the YouTube app on roku.

I am trying the Nvidia Shield device on another tele. So far it's got great video and sound.

by far,  one of the best F1 races ive seen in a while...

when in the rain  all the speed any power you have is nothing with out control,  LH just seems to have the touch. 

I was really pulling for racing point,  hoping that stroll would be able to  maintain, but alas was not meant to be...

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Trovão said:

they started with the rain tires (blue stripe) and made 1 pitstop, when they've changed to the intermediaries (green stripe).

tire management allowed LH and Perez to do so well even though some of the others got new inters and got them going eventually (Ferrari and Redbull). If rain had fallen in the last few laps the non-stoppers would have had problems. Great race though. Seriously mad driving skills on display. Took a cool head and intense focus to get the car through the race in good order. The start was epic.

• Like 1

I love it...

Having put out a story a few weeks ago saying Stroll "needs a hug" because his confidence is down they have now put out a story saying "they've found damage under his front wing after the race which explains his added tire wear".

Due credit to the guy, he put the car on pole when others couldn't get around the track.  But if like 15 of the 20 drivers in the race he couldn't make the tires work does that really need an excuse?

8 hours ago, Meat Wad said:

Brave has issues. I have a roku device with the ESPN app. Works great.

I also watch the Vendee with the YouTube app on roku.

I am trying the Nvidia Shield device on another tele. So far it's got great video and sound.

I have not had any problems with Brave, whatsover, in the past several years, including using their private Tor mode, until the ESPN Sunday afternoon replay, so I don't think the problem is with my hardware-software...  Something with the streaming from Xfinity..

10 hours ago, SCARECROW said:

I love it...

Having put out a story a few weeks ago saying Stroll "needs a hug" because his confidence is down they have now put out a story saying "they've found damage under his front wing after the race which explains his added tire wear".

Due credit to the guy, he put the car on pole when others couldn't get around the track.  But if like 15 of the 20 drivers in the race he couldn't make the tires work does that really need an excuse?

Agreed... at least my guy just said, (paraphrased) 'Once I spun the first time I just kept trying harder- which led to more spins' :lol:... although I guess he did have an offset steering wheel after the first (second?) spin and some contact with Ocon... but VB ultimately just said- 'I sucked and couldn't get the tires to work'.

While not good for my guy, it was an entertaining race to watch and a masterful one by LH and Perez for sure making those inters last the length they did... 

I just read an interesting article where Grosean states that they have had an issue with the overheating of the rear shocks which changes the ride height willy nilly and that is making the cars almost impossible to set up.

Found this video of 2021 F1 changes.  I gather these are the changes now put off another year due to Covid-19, and their abbreviated 2020 season?

The placings no-one cares about are sorted.  Who is going to get 3rd in the constructors and 4th in the drivers?

If it wasn't for the points they lost at the start of the season and a few little covid issues Racing Point would be clear ahead in the constructors.  I think as long as Lance can keep his head out of his own ass they should be high double points finishers in each of the remaining races giving them 3rd.  Which is good for them because I don't see Vettel matching Perez, so 2021 won't be anything special.

If he can't, I think 3rd is Renault's for the taking.  Ferrari have only done well on the back of bad performances by others and next week's low drag race really plays to Renault's strengths.  Mclaren are obviously in with a shot given they're in 4th at present but I feel like they're already looking towards 2021 and the changes they need to make a car designed around the Renault engine work with a Mercedes engine.    

Drivers standings I see us ending up with Perez (how is this guy un-employed next year) - Ricciado - Leclarc.  There just aren't enough races left for Sainz to catch Leclerc even though the Ferraris will struggle to make Q3 or score points on the outside track. 

side post... According to Hamilton F1 has a massive problem and needs to take more social responsibility

bit hypocritical to complain while pocketing $76M per year (and negotiating for more) as part of the road show.  Leads to the traditional questions.. do you have a louder voice by going along and protesting or stepping out and telling the world why.

6 minutes ago, SCARECROW said:

side post... According to Hamilton F1 has a massive problem and needs to take more social responsibility

bit hypocritical to complain while pocketing $76M per year (and negotiating for more) as part of the road show.  Leads to the traditional questions.. do you have a louder voice by going along and protesting or stepping out and telling the world why.

One would think he might put his money where his mouth is, and let his multi-million dollar donations speak louder than his words? 

52 minutes ago, SCARECROW said:

OTOH, Hamilton could just look the other way and pocket the money.  He isn't doing that, and good on him.  Calling out the human rights issues in the countries F1 visits is the right thing to do.  He knows he is in a unique position to do that as the top driver in the world and possibly GOAT if he wins again next season.  As he was speaking about the environmental side of this after the last race, I couldn't help wondering if there will be a point where F1 and FE merge.  

The amount of work needed to keep his edge in F1 precludes spending significant personal time organizing in support of causes he wishes to promote.  Hence he created his foundation to do that for him.  It makes sense - you can't simultaneously solve all the world's problems and be at the top of the game in F1. 

What will be interesting is what he does after he quits driving - which is likely to be at the end of next season.  

Sir Lewis?? Rain in Bahrain? (mainly on the plain). another weekend for the record books, and a good battle for 3,4 and Fifth.

Not unknown I used to live in saudi in sight of bahrain, 2 or 3 days of rain a year was usual.

this year however I've noticed they've had many more days of rain than normal..

9 hours ago, b green said:

lock out, track record....oh hum

I stopped watching the leaders around race 3.  Midfield this year is awesome though.