Nice!

The F1 2020 thread

When I saw Grosjean go into that Armco head first, the first thing I thought of was the 1974 USGP.

In 1974 a bunch of us went to Watkins Glen for the USGP.  We had set up in the “Toe”, (the 180 degree turn in the lower portion of the track).  We were against the fence maybe 20 feet from the Armco (pre safety days of course) at the exit of the corner.  Most of us had 35mm cameras, but one of us had a 8mm movie camera.  We watched the first couple of laps, it was a good view point because you could see the cars breaking going into the entry of the corner, head right at you in the apex, and accelerate in front of you.

After a couple of laps we moved on.  Afterwards, reviewing the 8mm film of that last lap in that area, it caught all of the cars coming through the apex and then followed the last place car, Helmuth Koinigg, through the corner and up the next straight.

The next time Koinigg came around he lost control in the apex and went head first into the Armco, right in front of where we had just been sitting, the lower level of the Armco popped, but not the upper section.

Rumor has it the stewards came over, kicked the helmet (his head still inside) under the car and threw a tarp over the car.  I’m not even sure they had a caution flag for that incident.

So, so glad we decided to move.  The thought of what we had just missed, especially since we would instinctively follow the last place car, has stayed with me ever since.

And in 1974 there was no fireball!

I had such a feeling of joy when I saw Grosjean come out of that ball of flame and leapt over the guardrail.  Hope for a speedy recovery.

Notice on today’s crash the top rail of the Armco was still partially intact, and if you look at his halo, there is a huge chunk missing from the front strut.  That halo saved a life today.

• Like 1

Thanks to the safety people at FIA for the Halo, Hans device, and all the other safety upgrades over the years!!  It was a terrifying moment when Grosjean's car turned into that fireball!!!

15 minutes ago, billy backstay said:

It was a terrifying moment when Grosjean's car turned into that fireball!!!

I thought for a second he must be dead.

1 hour ago, mathystuff said:

I thought for a second he must be dead.

Me too!!  Sobering moment...

7 hours ago, Sol Rosenberg said:

94C80644-0245-43F3-AE14-BAD64C8F6A3E.jpeg

All I can think is what's going through his mind as he realizes he is still alive and currently inside an inferno in a molded cockpit, with a bunch of safety shit - to now get out of it!

Is air pumped into their helmets?

Air is not pumped in. They do wear fireproof gaiters under the helmet. 

Latest news is the burns are the only injuries. No broken ribs. Kept in the hospital overnight as a precaution. 

On 11/26/2020 at 8:21 PM, SCARECROW said:

side post... According to Hamilton F1 has a massive problem and needs to take more social responsibility

bit hypocritical to complain while pocketing $76M per year (and negotiating for more) as part of the road show.  Leads to the traditional questions.. do you have a louder voice by going along and protesting or stepping out and telling the world why.

Strange, I don't remember him voicing these complaints before it was cool. He can jump on a bandwagon with the best of them.

6 minutes ago, surf nazi said:

Strange, I don't remember him voicing these complaints before it was cool. He can jump on a bandwagon with the best of them.

I’m thinking he’s not the only one who watched a cop kneel on a black man’s neck for eight minutes and find it impossible not to speak out. His refusal to have his part of the conversation derailed onto other topics definitely rubs people the wrong way tho.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Sol Rosenberg said:

I’m thinking he’s not the only one who watched a cop kneel on a black man’s neck for eight minutes and find it impossible not to speak out. His refusal to have his part of the conversation derailed onto other topics definitely rubs people the wrong way tho.

I'm thinking he's not the only one who found it impossible not to show how woke they are at such a convenient time.    

5 minutes ago, surf nazi said:

I'm thinking he's not the only one who found it impossible not to show how woke they are at such a convenient time.    

Convenient for whom, George Floyd?

1 hour ago, surf nazi said:

1 hour ago, Sol Rosenberg said:

53 minutes ago, surf nazi said:

47 minutes ago, Sol Rosenberg said:

Convenient for whom, George Floyd?

Jesus Fucking Christ, who gives a shit. Go somewhere else and duke it out.

Car racing is the Topic, F1 to be exact. 

9 minutes ago, Meat Wad said:

Jesus Fucking Christ, who gives a shit. Go somewhere else and duke it out.

Car racing is the Topic, F1 to be exact. 

Say something stupid, expect a response. Don’t like it, put me on ignore. 

On 11/30/2020 at 10:14 AM, Sol Rosenberg said:

Amazing. No broken bones, just burns on both hands. 

The video I saw on our news clearly showed his hands start to smoke after he grabbed the fence.

breaking news

Hamilton out of this weekend's race due to Covid.  Will give us a great snap shot into how much of their dominance is the car when someone else has to step in a do well with 3 hours practice.

Thats two of my fantasy team out for this weekend and its only Tuesday.

8 hours ago, SCARECROW said:

breaking news

Hamilton out of this weekend's race due to Covid.  Will give us a great snap shot into how much of their dominance is the car when someone else has to step in a do well with 3 hours practice.

Thats two of my fantasy team out for this weekend and its only Tuesday.

They should put Bottas in Lewis' car, to satisfy the people who say that Hamilton's car is the reason he wins so much. Wait. Oh yeah. 

1 hour ago, Sol Rosenberg said:

They should put Bottas in Lewis' car, to satisfy the people who say that Hamilton's car is the reason he wins so much. Wait. Oh yeah. 

I think everyone agrees that Hamilton is faster than Bottas.

Some stories saying Russel might drive the merc.  How good would that be.  It would answer a million questions about both the car and Russel as a driver.  I think it would make Bottas nervous.  If Russel can step in and make a half decent show of it (I don’t think he even has to beat Bottas) then Bottas knows at the end of his next 12 month contract he’s gone.

Is it still too soon to discuss the fact that Grosjean’s crash was, once again, caused by his fucking haphazard driving that has seen him crash out, or cause others to crash out, since the day he got in an f1 car?

Perez has said he only wants to drive in a competitive car, but at this point in the season would Haas not take the opportunity to make him an offer he can’t refuse?

3 minutes ago, Terrorvision said:

Is it still too soon to discuss the fact that Grosjean’s crash was, once again, caused by his fucking haphazard driving that has seen him crash out, or cause others to crash out, since the day he got in an f1 car?

Perez has said he only wants to drive in a competitive car, but at this point in the season would Haas not take the opportunity to make him an offer he can’t refuse?

No, I noted that as I watch RG flash across the entire track and into DK. I'm so happy that the cars are safe enough to tolerate poor drivers... For his sake (RG) and the rest of the grid I'm glad he is out of F1 in 2021... 

Sol et,al. Take the political shit to PA. Don't fuck this forum up as well... 

On 11/29/2020 at 3:04 PM, billy backstay said:

Thanks to the safety people at FIA for the Halo, Hans device, and all the other safety upgrades over the years!!  It was a terrifying moment when Grosjean's car turned into that fireball!!!

WTF happened there?

I haven't seen that sort of fireball for ages - I thought they had their tanks filled with some sort of foam or something to prevent them going up like a bomb.

That looked like the early 70's.

8 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

WTF happened there?

I haven't seen that sort of fireball for ages - I thought they had their tanks filled with some sort of foam or something to prevent them going up like a bomb.

That looked like the early 70's.

It was way too close to a deadly accident for comfort, imo. Barriers and fuel and fire extinguishing systems should get a thorough revision.

1 hour ago, mathystuff said:

It was way too close to a deadly accident for comfort, imo. Barriers and fuel and fire extinguishing systems should get a thorough revision.

To be fair, when you rip the car in 1/2, leaving just the tub and fuel tank, it’s hard to blame the structure that SAVED the driver. The car prying apart the Armco rails and going between them is scary and you may see a change to barrier configuration. Instead of bringing it out toward the track to provide access, perhaps they need to reverse that and have the access further away from the track so the “grazing angle” isn’t made worse by the need for an access route.  But yes, fuel cell fire suppression needs a good hard look. 

I don’t think the HALO would have saved Bianchi as his brain injury came from the instant stop against the crane but it showed its worth in this incident. RG had a huge deceleration but 140-0 in 10-15’ is a lot more survivable than 160-0 in a couple of inches. 

F1 and all motor racing needs a moratorium till the sort out emissions.

Fossil fuel based sport is no longer morally excusable.

1 hour ago, astro said:

It won't be long before F1 and FE become one IMHO.  They also need to find a way to transport the people, cars and equipment with a low carbon footprint.

One could argue that all spectator sports are no longer morally excusable unless the spectators and the teams are getting to the venue on low  or no-carbon public transport.  That is just the tip of the enormous climate change mitigation iceberg, of course.  But you know that, and you also know that it is a subject for a different thread.

F1 really haven't done a good job of marketing the efficiency of their Hybrid engines.  Running at close to 1000HP for 300km on 150L of fuel is quite amazing.

1 hour ago, astro said:

You are extremely g—-y and shouldn’t watch F1.  

2 minutes ago, footlong said:
1 hour ago, astro said:

You are extremely g—-y and shouldn’t watch F1.  

I don't and won't.  So there is that.

I stopped watching all fossil fueled motor sport some years ago.  But have peeked at E-bikes and cars.  Some interesting shit there.  There lies the future in the same way as Tesla changed cars.

You know you are winning when they are so coo/hot/bad that pimps and drug lords want them.

• Like 1

well its official..

F1 cars will still be burning fossil fuels this weekend but.

Norris will be driving a black car <-- how good is that

and Racing Point, Maclaren and Renault are all still in the hunt for third with potentially more points on offer if Norris doesn't fully step up on a track that to my eyes suits Renault --> Racing Point --> Maclaren so it is actually possible that by the end of the weekend rather than one team being clear ahead in 3rd the race for third could actually be tighter than it is now. 

The kid is quick and has consistently out driven the capabilities of his car this year. I’m stoked he's getting a shot. I hope some random mechanical does not spoil it for him.

F1 really haven't done a good job of marketing the efficiency of their Hybrid engines.  Running at close to 1000HP for 300km on 150L of fuel is quite amazing.

So how much fuel did it take to get the car there?

50L/100km?   Fuck, no wonder they are not pushing that brag.

1 hour ago, astro said:

So how much fuel did it take to get the car there?

If you’re not into it move on...

How much fuel did the AC teams use flying their boats to NZ?

How much fuel are their chase boats burning per day?

the 450hp engines on the back of the ETNZ cats burn about 150L/H each at open throttle.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, SCARECROW said:

Some stories saying Russel might drive the merc.  How good would that be.  It would answer a million questions about both the car and Russel as a driver.  I think it would make Bottas nervous.  If Russel can step in and make a half decent show of it (I don’t think he even has to beat Bottas) then Bottas knows at the end of his next 12 month contract he’s gone.

Oh, believe me, I'll be watching carefully! But, worse case, I also like George AND it is the same path that Valtteri took, so I can't begrudge anyone...

As an aside- how does this work for fantasy? Any of us probably can drop a driver and pick up George- but is it going to be like other subs this season where Russell's points will go for Hamilton? And Aitken's will go for Russell? I still have my Mega Card to play to try and catch you... and what is the deal with the wildcard anyway? I see you played yours, but I just didn't really understand the benefit of it.

16 hours ago, astro said:

Oh fuck off you tiresome prick.

17 hours ago, astro said:

What do you think is the carbon footprint for Major League Baseball, the NFL and MLS????  Lots more than ALL motorsports burning dead dinosaur juice, I reckon.....

4 hours ago, suider said:

Oh, believe me, I'll be watching carefully! But, worse case, I also like George AND it is the same path that Valtteri took, so I can't begrudge anyone...

As an aside- how does this work for fantasy? Any of us probably can drop a driver and pick up George- but is it going to be like other subs this season where Russell's points will go for Hamilton? And Aitken's will go for Russell? I still have my Mega Card to play to try and catch you... and what is the deal with the wildcard anyway? I see you played yours, but I just didn't really understand the benefit of it.

Really not sure, I’m a bit pissed.  I carried Russel for most of the year just cause he was cheap.  Traded him for grojean a couple of weeks ago.  I swapped Hamilton for Bottas when the COVID news came out as I didn’t want to forget to make a change at the last minute.  But that leaves me stuck with a reserve driver in a HAAS unless I’m willing to cop some penalties.

Wildcard let’s you make lots of changes in one week without paying for them.  Exactly what you need this week.  In hindsite I’d wait and see what the coders do price wise before committing.  With hulkenburg they swapped him in for Perez and stroll at the same price but the Russel situation is harder and there is a chance that how they handle it could decide who wins there contest (won’t be one of us).

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

Oh fuck off you tiresome prick.

The planet is changing year on year and some people just don't give a fuck, as long as they can get a beer and popcorn to watch senseless racing around in circles.

Odd init?

If you’re not into it move on...

How much fuel did the AC teams use flying their boats to NZ?

How much fuel are their chase boats burning per day?

the 450hp engines on the back of the ETNZ cats burn about 150L/H each at open throttle.

True, they need to have s good hard think about what they are doing.

1 hour ago, astro said:

The planet is changing year on year and some people just don't give a fuck, as long as they can get a beer and popcorn to watch senseless racing around in circles.

Odd init?

Perhaps you didn't hear?

How about Fuck off you tiresome cunt?

Lots of reasons to watch the race this weekend, except maybe the track itself.  

6 hours ago, Rain Man said:

Lots of reasons to watch the race this weekend, except maybe the track itself.  

It’ll be interesting to see how powerful the DRS zones are with two back to back long DRS straights.  We could see a bit of overtaking and it will really make taking the corner between them properly vital.  It’s the sort of situation where you’ll see someone like Stroll loose 2-3 places in 2 corners.  Slow down to much trying to defend the first corner and open himself up to the DRS train coming behind.

Sub 60 second laps are going to make Q1 and Q2 nuts and finding a pit window is going to be a nightmare.  Look for teams going the undercut.

Just occurred to me, the guy with the most to lose this weekend is Hamilton.  He has built up the "Myth" that he is more than just the faster driver of the fastest car (probably true) but he doesn't have an ongoing contract.  A good showing from Russel isn't going to result in Mercedes saying they don't want Hamilton but it might eat into his bargaining power.

6 hours ago, SCARECROW said:

Just occurred to me, the guy with the most to lose this weekend is Hamilton.  He has built up the "Myth" that he is more than just the faster driver of the fastest car (probably true) but he doesn't have an ongoing contract.  A good showing from Russel isn't going to result in Mercedes saying they don't want Hamilton but it might eat into his bargaining power.

Just like it got boring watching Schumaker and Ferrari win all the time Mercedes and Hamilton have become boring too. The fight for 4th to 10th  is fun to watch.

44 minutes ago, Meat Wad said:

Just like it got boring watching Schumaker and Ferrari win all the time Mercedes and Hamilton have become boring too. The fight for 4th to 10th  is fun to watch.

IMO ALL top level racing became boring after the corporate money got huge.

It was a hell of a lot more interesting and entertaining back when drag racing was almost entirely amateur, people like Surtees and Gurney built their own GP cars (Surtees in his two car garage at home), NASCAR raced hot rodded Detroit cars and McLaren showed up at Can-Am races like this;

image.png.f7a8f2472265421b53fd3aa567e2de73.png

As the money increased my interest decreased at the same rate until it reached near zero about 30 years ago.

1 hour ago, SloopJonB said:

IMO ALL top level racing became boring after the corporate money got huge.

It was a hell of a lot more interesting and entertaining back when drag racing was almost entirely amateur, people like Surtees and Gurney built their own GP cars (Surtees in his two car garage at home), NASCAR raced hot rodded Detroit cars and McLaren showed up at Can-Am races like this;

image.png.f7a8f2472265421b53fd3aa567e2de73.png

As the money increased my interest decreased at the same rate until it reached near zero about 30 years ago.

Kind of like realizing that pro hockey and football players are all highly paid athletes that couldn't really give a shit which team they play for or the city that hosts it.  Haven't watched a game since.

I still like F1 for some reason - perhaps the spectacle of it, the race strategy which is similar to sailing, or the sheer skill of most of the drivers.  F1 has done a great job of bringing the back story of the teams and drivers out lately.  Perhaps it is that.

1 hour ago, Rain Man said:

I still like F1 for some reason - perhaps the spectacle of it, the race strategy which is similar to sailing, or the sheer skill of most of the drivers.  F1 has done a great job of bringing the back story of the teams and drivers out lately.  Perhaps it is that.

I've really only gotten into F1 in the last couple of years and it was from the interest generated by Ricciardo switching to a struggling team and the unfolding story as he and Renault have worked out their shit together.  Add a bit of spice with Ferrari being caught pink handed cheating (not red handed because there were no penalties etc) and Red Bull's struggles to find a genuine second driver capable of mixing it at the top and the last 18 months have been pretty dam interesting.  With so many drivers moving around and Alonso coming back next year will be even better.  

20 minutes ago, SCARECROW said:

I've really only gotten into F1 in the last couple of years and it was from the interest generated by Ricciardo switching to a struggling team and the unfolding story as he and Renault have worked out their shit together.  Add a bit of spice with Ferrari being caught pink handed cheating (not red handed because there were no penalties etc) and Red Bull's struggles to find a genuine second driver capable of mixing it at the top and the last 18 months have been pretty dam interesting.  With so many drivers moving around and Alonso coming back next year will be even better.  

This year was impressive, in that they made the sport happen in spite of all the obstacles thrown up by the pandemic.  They did all the right things, kept everyone as safe and healthy as possible, and also brought in some measure of social responsibility along the way by vocally supporting anti-racism.  They have a long way to go but have shown they can adapt to a changing world.  

Race coverage is improving all the time.  For me, at least, they fulfilled a need for entertainment in a year where so much else was shut down.  

• Like 1

20 hours ago, SCARECROW said:

19 hours ago, Rain Man said:

This year was impressive, in that they made the sport happen in spite of all the obstacles thrown up by the pandemic.  They did all the right things, kept everyone as safe and healthy as possible, and also brought in some measure of social responsibility along the way by vocally supporting anti-racism.  They have a long way to go but have shown they can adapt to a changing world.  

Race coverage is improving all the time.  For me, at least, they fulfilled a need for entertainment in a year where so much else was shut down.  

I know there a lot of nay-sayers, but I agree with these two sentiments- and would add the current crop of young drivers (hell, Max is bordering on being the 'old man'!!) just adds to the fun/cool/exciting/whatever word you want to use of the whole series....

Good for George!

We all know that the Merc is the class of the field, particularly when the course rewards power over the last 1% of aero/handling.  Add in Hamilton's skill and you get 7 Championships.  You can bet that 100 engineers will be parsing every bit of data coming off of George's car this weekend, particularly if he outqualifies and outperforms VB.  

20 minutes ago, suider said:

I know there a lot of nay-sayers, but I agree with these two sentiments- and would add the current crop of young drivers (hell, Max is bordering on being the 'old man'!!) just adds to the fun/cool/exciting/whatever word you want to use of the whole series....

I might add that my wife really enjoyed the Drive to Survive series on Netflix and is now also an F1 fan, so we have an additional thing we can enjoy together.  Some other sports could learn a lot from F1.  I suppose it doesn't hurt that from her perspective the drivers are all hot, fit, well-educated young men.  

32 minutes ago, Innocent Bystander said:

Good for George!

We all know that the Merc is the class of the field, particularly when the course rewards power over the last 1% of aero/handling.  Add in Hamilton's skill and you get 7 Championships.  You can bet that 100 engineers will be parsing every bit of data coming off of George's car this weekend, particularly if he outqualifies and outperforms VB.  

It'll be interesting to see how George fairs over the course of a whole weekend crammed into Lewis' sardine can...Russell is 4" taller than Hamilton.

They might not give Hami his car back.  This guy's fast and cheap.  Leading the 2nd practice.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sodajerk said:

It'll be interesting to see how George fairs over the course of a whole weekend crammed into Lewis' sardine can...Russell is 4" taller than Hamilton.

They said Russell will need a foot massage on Monday, he wears size 11 shoes, and cockpit only holds up to 10,,,

"Hey Toto how's it going down there?"

"Good Lewis, how are you feeling?"

"I'm bored mate, my good selfie camera is flat and I'm stuck using the old Iphone 11 until it re-charges.  I was wondering if you had time to talk about my contract?"

"We're pretty busy down here Lewis.  This isn't about George is it?"

"No not at all.  Its just the end of the year is coming and there has been all this talk about salary caps.  I'd like to get is out of the way.  We all know we want to work together right?"

"Ok Mate, the boys are out on the track anyway lets get this done.  What are you looking for?"

"Lets keep it simple, GBP200M over 4 years,  5M bonus for each championship and I get the right to veto team mate selections." 

"Interesting mate but nope."

"What do you mean?"

"Well the last year has been tough and we both know you need us more than we need you.  If I wanted to I could buy George's contract from Williams for a couple of Million and pay him 2 million.  He'll do just as well and the great thing, as his Manager that puts 200K in my own pocket!"

"But I'm 7 times world champion"

"Really you're going to go there?  Every time we go to a new track it takes you two days to work out how to beat Valtteri.  George did it in 30 minutes in a car he'd never driven with his head sticking through the sun roof."

"Cough Cough, shit i think'Rona is kicking in can we talk later? Cough"

"Of course mate.  But have a think about two more years at GBP45M PA, a 10M bonus if you win both years, and no more shirtless selfies or political bullshit .  Oh and George will be team mate in 2022!"

• Like 2

21 hours ago, footlong said:

They might not give Hami his car back.  This guy's fast and cheap.  Leading the 2nd practice.

That or Hamilton just got cheaper...

Russell just missed the pole on his first weekend with the car.  Humm?

Just watched FP3, but Qualifying afterwards, was not broadcast????

41 minutes ago, Innocent Bystander said:

Broadcast on ESPNNews from 1155-1300 EST. I just finished watching the recording here.  

Thanks!  I'll see if it can get it on demand.  I found a bunch of Youtube vids, some in foreign language, but nothing after Q2....   Nice to be able to plug the laptop into the 43" flat screen, but useless if Q3 is missing.... :angry:

Found online with your tip, appears to include Q3, thanks again!

4 hours ago, WCB said:

That or Hamilton just got cheaper...

He’s definitely lost some bargaining power (as above).  

It also feeds back into the question that has been going on all year as Hamilton has been setting records.  How much is him and how much is the car?

If you had put the top driver from one of the bottom teams in a 2000 or 2001 Ferrari would they have qualified on the front row in their first race?

if Schumacher and Coultard swapped cars who would have won?

This weekend has already confirmed what many have said for ages.... if you put at least 3 or 4 current F1 drivers in Lewis’s seat he might struggle to beat them.

if Lewis wants to be considered the GOT or even the greatest of 2021 he needs to drive the Williams next week and show he can get it into Q3 and score points.  Don’t see his ego doing that though while he doesn’t have a contract in his bottom drawer.

Right now if building a team and I had the pick of drivers it would be Sainz, Perez, Ricciardo, Norris or Leclarc.  These guys have been racing for the last few years not just driving.

Just watch qualifying (it was on at some stupid time am here) and they dropped in a comment that Hamilton does actually have Covid symptoms.  If that's the case, it is probably unlikely we'll see him again this year.

3 hours ago, billy backstay said:

Just watched FP3, but Qualifying afterwards, was not broadcast????

3 hours ago, Innocent Bystander said:

Broadcast on ESPNNews from 1155-1300 EST. I just finished watching the recording here.  

I saw it live at 8:55 am PST on the ESPN app.

59 minutes ago, SCARECROW said:

Just watch qualifying (it was on at some stupid time am here) and they dropped in a comment that Hamilton does actually have Covid symptoms.  If that's the case, it is probably unlikely we'll see him again this year.

What is wrong with ESPN is they have so many stupid channels. There is just too much fucking football on.

5 hours ago, SCARECROW said:

He’s definitely lost some bargaining power (as above).  

It also feeds back into the question that has been going on all year as Hamilton has been setting records.  How much is him and how much is the car?

If you had put the top driver from one of the bottom teams in a 2000 or 2001 Ferrari would they have qualified on the front row in their first race?

if Schumacher and Coultard swapped cars who would have won?

This weekend has already confirmed what many have said for ages.... if you put at least 3 or 4 current F1 drivers in Lewis’s seat he might struggle to beat them.

if Lewis wants to be considered the GOT or even the greatest of 2021 he needs to drive the Williams next week and show he can get it into Q3 and score points.  Don’t see his ego doing that though while he doesn’t have a contract in his bottom drawer.

Right now if building a team and I had the pick of drivers it would be Sainz, Perez, Ricciardo, Norris or Leclarc.  These guys have been racing for the last few years not just driving.

I always find it interesting that Lewis struggles to pass almost anybody in the top ten once he's behind them.  I know that they say that the car is not built to be in traffic but that seems like a way of letting Lewis off the hook for not finding a way.  Russell's performance seems like confirmation that anybody could win a championship in a Mercedes.  I'm sure that Russell is a talented driver but I think that in general, they all are, at least close enough together that it's more about the car than the driver.

Except for Alonso...he's clearly better.

8 hours ago, footlong said:

Russell just missed the pole on his first weekend with the car.  Humm?

And, in a car he doesn't fit in, is huge.  No wonder Merc put him in there instead of the backup driver,  maybe they knew what they have in Russell. It also could have been a tough look for Bottas...close

Russell rocks! Bottas is just a fast sob on one lap so George was up against it and damn near did it. Super stoked for him and can't wait for the race. Dude was a lower formula champ I believe. He has been qualifying and racing a shit car like man possessed so he knows how to race. Toto will make sure he doesn't get a bum call on the strategy I hope.

Romains crash was just an amazing thing all the way. Why was that fence not padded? Anyway it is now with a tire barrier but by hook or by crook all the elements of safety put in place since 94 saved that man's life. Jules did not die in vain so to speak. Romain was not concussed and had the wits and physical ability to exit the car. The halo and high side features on the tub allowed that. The tub itself is a hidden gem in those cars. You cannot run a new design of tub without rigorous destructive testing. It showed. Also the safety/medical folks were Johnny on the spot. Great example of how to do it. Max and Bernie should be proud of their contribution to racing and road vehicle safety. I applaud them again now. Great work gents.

On the sky pre race show tomorrow there is supposed to be an 8 min interview with Romain and Brundle. Romain was at the track for quali with his wife with big white fluffy hands probably on good pain meds as he seemed to be having fun.

bottas called the track a Mickey Mouse affair after getting pole. He seemed very reserved. George was probably as excited as we will ever see him. He certainly picked the right manager in toto.

3 hours ago, WCB said:

I always find it interesting that Lewis struggles to pass almost anybody in the top ten once he's behind them.  I know that they say that the car is not built to be in traffic but that seems like a way of letting Lewis off the hook for not finding a way.  Russell's performance seems like confirmation that anybody could win a championship in a Mercedes.  I'm sure that Russell is a talented driver but I think that in general, they all are, at least close enough together that it's more about the car than the driver.

Alonso was in the Renault garage in full student mode during quali. He is serious about coming back and being fast I think. He has his work cut out for himself as the cars are very different. 

If george wins the race tomorrow it will definitley have folks wondering. 

Oh, it was cool on quali when Leclerc claimed a Q3 lap a perfect lap and just got out of the car and didn't do a last run and his time held. Gonna be a good race tomorrow.

• Like 1

On December 4, 2020 at 12:07 PM, billy backstay said:

They said Russell will need a foot massage on Monday, he wears size 11 shoes, and cockpit only holds up to 10,,,

Brundle was saying In the old days they would cut the end of the shoe off.

5 hours ago, WCB said:

Alonso is going to be interesting next year.  He's clearly not lacking motivation and definitely had skill to burn in the past.  The question is has 3 years in the wilderness writing "I will not bad mouth my sponsors" cost him his edge?

• Like 1

HoooooWeeeeee- that was a cracker of a race! So happy for the top 3 on the grid. George showed that it is the machine that puts Hamilton on the front row race after race but what a shit, shit pit stop call Mercedes made. They got greedy. 
Great race from so many drivers and bad luck for Sainz but none more so than Max who was fucked by the short gravel as much as he was by Leclerc.
Ocon's pit crew and team didn't look particularly stoked for him, almost as if they begrudged him his position.

22 minutes ago, Terrorvision said:

HoooooWeeeeee- that was a cracker of a race! So happy for the top 3 on the grid. George showed that it is the machine that puts Hamilton on the front row race after race but what a shit, shit pit stop call Mercedes made. They got greedy. 
Great race from so many drivers and bad luck for Sainz but none more so than Max who was fucked by the short gravel as much as he was by Leclerc.
Ocon's pit crew and team didn't look particularly stoked for him, almost as if they begrudged him his position.

I'm happy for Perez and feel that he deserves the win and to be back next year, but he's the one that fucked LeClerc and Verstappen.

CHECO!  Great to see Russell lead so many laps.  Mercedes screwed the pooch on the pit stop.  Seeing Renault’s improvement, it’s looking good for Alonso’s return. 

1 hour ago, silent bob said:

CHECO!  Great to see Russell lead so many laps.  Mercedes screwed the pooch on the pit stop.  Seeing Renault’s improvement, it’s looking good for Alonso’s return. 

Where is Ricciardo moving too?  I heard that Ocon is staying...  And Russell doesn't have a seat lined up yet?   Amazing!

1 hour ago, captnjoe said:

I'm happy for Perez and feel that he deserves the win and to be back next year, but he's the one that fucked LeClerc and Verstappen.

The Stewards were going to investigate that after the race, but I heard no decision before the broadcast ended??  One of the talking heads said that LeClerc said he was responsible???

54 minutes ago, billy backstay said:

The Stewards were going to investigate that after the race, but I heard no decision before the broadcast ended??  One of the talking heads said that LeClerc said he was responsible???

Leclerc put the anchor down too late and he tapped Perez. Max took avoiding action but the gravel was too deep and the wall too close. 

They mentioned a grid penalty for Leclerc. 

Russell's charge back up to second after the pit fiasco followed by his charge back up to points position after the flat show a lot of grit. The calming voice in his ear helped, but that kid really shined.

2 hours ago, billy backstay said:

Where is Ricciardo moving too?  I heard that Ocon is staying...  And Russell doesn't have a seat lined up yet?   Amazing!

Ricciardo is moving to McLaren for 2021.  Alonso is taking his Renault (Alpine) seat.  Dark, it’s going to take me a few races to get used to the ‘New’ team names!  Renault becomes Alpine, Racing Point becomes Aston Martin.