MichalD

Sealions hijack sailboat

That looks like a Vivacity - my first keel boat.

Not a bad fate for one of the nasty little things.

On 12/21/2019 at 2:13 AM, SloopJonB said:

That looks like a Vivacity - my first keel boat.

Not a bad fate for one of the nasty little things.

For the Vivacity or the sea lions?  Or both?

The last time I was in Oceanside harbor (So Cal), a dozen or so sea lions had taken over some of the visitor docks. Besides sinking the finger ends to the point of being awash, they made a disgusting mess.  It looked like there had been no effort to dislodge the critters. I have a fear that they will take a liking to the low freeboard amas and nets on my trimaran.

1 hour ago, Shu said:

The last time I was in Oceanside harbor (So Cal), a dozen or so sea lions had taken over some of the visitor docks. Besides sinking the finger ends to the point of being awash, they made a disgusting mess.  It looked like there had been no effort to dislodge the critters. I have a fear that they will take a liking to the low freeboard amas and nets on my trimaran.

I read some time ago that even shooing them off a boat is illegal in Cali.

I found it entirely believable.

1 minute ago, SloopJonB said:

I read some time ago that even shooing them off a boat is illegal in Cali.

I found it entirely believable.

So using a shotgun loaded with rock salt is probably out, then?

Pity.

Getting to be more of an issue around here too. Lots of fur seals. The fish farms hate them. The locals hate the fish farms so the law is on the side of the seals so far.

FKT

I suppose even Varan's Intellishock suggestion would be illegal here. There was a big to-do about a decade ago, when harbor seals were using the beach at the children's pool in La Jolla as a hang out. IIRC, the site had been deeded many decades before to the City on the condition that it be kept in perpetuity as a relatively surf-protected beach for children. Somehow the seals won out, and you could be cited for disturbing the seals.

That was one finely tuned rig there! Obviously the boat's saving grace was the centerline companionway.

• Like 1

At least it’s easy to get the boom up above centreline on port now!

Those things are HUGE. The only sea lion I have ever met was a female named Mimi that would give you kisses and shake hands/flippers. She seemed about 1/3 the size of those behemoths at most IIRC.

Yeah, the big males can be frightening.

Good prank - but scary for the girl. I am assuming the seal lion made sure to get the dress and not skin, but if not - OUCH.

I saw someplace people lined up for a photo near the beach and sea lion sneaks up behind them and chomps someone on the ass :lol: