beezer

2:1 Jib sheets?

When I worked on Schooners a long time ago the headsails were run at a 2:1 purchase via a block on a strop to the clew of the jib (lizard).  This was sheeted in tight by two men and a pin rail (no winches used).  With Dyneema lines being so slippery I imagine this might be a relatively easy, if slower, way to handle headsails on a boat with large genoas and small crew.  By dead-ending the dyneema to the front of my jib car and passing it up through the clew ring and back to the jib block you would get the purchase without the danger of a block flying around. 

Obviously the dyneema would need to be spliced to something winch-friendly for the tail.  A quick search of 2:1 jib sheets shows some sports boats running 2:1 without winches, but nothing for big old lead mines like my boat.   Anyone seen something similar in use?  Anyone done this?  Bigger winches are not happening and I will start racing with my young sons without enough grunt to tack the genoa on a 37 footer all day.  I also shorthand and am not getting any younger here.

I think that's a lot of extra string on a 37ft'er to pull through on every tack. Maybe just tack slower and let them get the sail in? luff up a bit and let them grind with less load? 

• Like 1

I use 2:1 on my 7m trailerable, without winches - works great, but would't be manageable with anything bigger.  Once you use winches (unless they're ridiculously undersized) you'd be mad to pull all that extra sheet through!

The yeoman class 20ft keelboat have a fairly large Genoa for their size of boat.  They were built with winches.  But close hauled tacking on a river,  gives little time to uses a winch so most have gone 2:1, in light winds we of course single up,  in heavy stuff 25-40 knots , the helmsman does need to allow a longer tack , so you can get it in before it fills.. 

Lightning's originally had that set up ...a lot of line and overhanding...learned with that set up 50's

as everyones eluding too.. works fine on the sporties/ trailerables that dont run overlapping jibs. we have young rocket 780, we run a 2:1/6:1 on jib sheets. 2:1 coarse tune. but at what would normally be the "dead end" we have a 3:1 purchase which is lead back to mainsheet hand position, so sheet hand or skipper can adfjust the jib at 6:1 fine tune, much like the etchells do. works a treat. i wouldnt try it on anything over 28-30 foot. direct sheeting onto a winch would be quicker

919041_597490206929640_1213559947_o.jpg

7 hours ago, blastfurnace said:

as everyones eluding too.. works fine on the sporties/ trailerables that dont run overlapping jibs. 

Works fine on the yeoman which has a large overlap on the Genoa.