Skid51

Retrofit a spinnaker retrieval line?

I’m looking at ways to speed up leeward mark douses.   On my Rocket 22 the spinnaker goes down the front hatch into a hanging bag, which can be a time consuming hand-stuff.    There’s good room for a retrieval sock down below so got me thinking.   I’ve used the super fast multi-block purchase retrieval systems on assym chutes on dinghies and those sails all have an OEM grommet in the lower half of the chute for the line to go through then an x-strap sewn in on a patch on the backside of the chute in the upper half of the sail.    Is there a workable home-made approach?  I.e.  Is there danger of tears or stretching the sail by just putting say a 12” square sail repair patch right in the belly of the sail on both sides of the sail (with offset edges to spread the load) and just using that as a single point retrieval?   Want to keep it light.    Any other ideas, short of sending it back to the loft?

yeah, the loads with using a retrieval line on anything bigger than a dinghy go much much bigger, it can be done, obviously as the TP52s do it very well... but the kites dont last very long. youll be replacing the kite every 12 months if you do it. if you can afford to, great. we do windward drops/ mexicans. ive also seen guys the "letterbox" where you pull kite in leeward side, but it comes in over the top of the boom. obvously only works with loose footed boom setups.

5 hours ago, bloodshot said:

why not hoist/douse in companionway?

The Rocket 22 varies from a J/70 or Melges 24 in that it has a double spreader rig so the inside-the-shrouds to companionway route is a somewhat  more constricted window and fraught with snag potential.  I also like to keep easy access to down below to make mast jack adjustments mid-race.   But certainly an option easy enough to test out.  

13 hours ago, Skid51 said:

The Rocket 22 varies from a J/70 or Melges 24 in that it has a double spreader rig so the inside-the-shrouds to companionway route is a somewhat  more constricted window and fraught with snag potential.  I also like to keep easy access to down below to make mast jack adjustments mid-race.   But certainly an option easy enough to test out.  

yeah , as said above, go outside the shrouds and under the boom.  I think if you had a J22/J24 sliding bag (like here: https://www.velasailingsupply.com/harken-j-24-spinnaker-launch-bag-also-fits-j-22-and-j-70/) on wires, that might help the access issue a bit as well.

Have you taken a look at the Viper 640 setup? The retrieval line is attached at one point, passes thru a loop maybe six feet below, and then into the boat. The sail is reinforced in both those areas. I can't really measure anything since my boat is in storage for the winter.

You can get the socks from North, Doyle Boston, or this option:

http://forum.viper640.org/gear-for-sale/spinnaker-retrieval-sock/

I've looked into this as well for an Antrim 27. We also go into the companion way hatch but it kinda fills up the boat even with a bag on sliders. Some of the J/88s have a system with roller(s) on the bow hatch with a sock. This system looks cool as sort of a scaled down TP52 system.