Roleur

How about a Port Townsend to SF Bay feeder race for Pac Cup (& SHTP)?

Am I right, there was a race down the coast a number of years ago in Mini's? 

Any thoughts on a race from Port Townsend to SF Bay in early June as a feeder for the summer Hawaii races?  Perhaps two legs, with a stop in Astoria to allow some of the Oregon Offshore boats to race back home?

We are currently talking to 3 other boats from the PNW about Pac Cup 2022.  

• Like 1

Why not just stay in the PNW and race Vic Maui?  I know that doesn't exactly do much for the boats trying to get back to Oregon but...

Yep, good question.  Thought a lot about this.  It boils down to 2 or 3 factors.

• Pac Cup gets 50-70 finishers including 1 or 2 divisions of double-handed boats, which is our interest.  Vic Maui is usually less than 20 total.  
  • When you get to Oahu after Pac Cup, there is a nice marina and YC to secure the boat and hang out with all the boats to share in the experience.  Arriving in Maui - no marina.

Personally, I would rather start from Victoria, but the above points override that preference.

• Like 1

On 12/31/2019 at 6:48 PM, Roleur said:

Am I right, there was a race down the coast a number of years ago in Mini's? 

In spite of all good intentions, that ended up being a flop. It was supposed to be a singlehanded race, but when high winds forced a postponement for a few days, it ended up being a double handed race with only 2 or 3 boats if I recall.  

Your idea is great but rather than a race, perhaps just a flotilla of boats heading in that direction might get more interest. 

6 hours ago, Foolish said:

In spite of all good intentions, that ended up being a flop. It was supposed to be a singlehanded race, but when high winds forced a postponement for a few days, it ended up being a double handed race with only 2 or 3 boats if I recall.  

Your idea is great but rather than a race, perhaps just a flotilla of boats heading in that direction might get more interest. 

Originally 4 boats entered, it was doublehanded or singlehanded. Very difficult to get enough minis together in N.A. what with the small numbers and being based so far apart, but it was worth the effort to gauge the interest and to try to gain some interest. 

That's a hell of a feeder race.   Many boats did not do the Coastal Cup (288nm) in May because it was to close to the Transpac or Pac Cup start.   A very long, possibly rough, passage just weeks before making another 2k+ passage is a bit much for most.   Especially since there is generally a return from Hawaii delivery involved for many.

It’s 2000 miles from Hana to San Francisco and Gold Beach. 2150 to LA and Astoria. Just make the starting line 800 miles long with a 2000 mile radius. Where would you start?

2 hours ago, Kenny Dumas said:

It’s 2000 miles from Hana to San Francisco and Gold Beach. 2150 to LA and Astoria. Just make the starting line 800 miles long with a 2000 mile radius. Where would you start?

No entiendo.

I think you are talking about a race back from Hawaii, but...   

On 1/4/2020 at 2:45 PM, solosailor said:

That's a hell of a feeder race.   Many boats did not do the Coastal Cup (288nm) in May because it was to close to the Transpac or Pac Cup start.   A very long, possibly rough, passage just weeks before making another 2k+ passage is a bit much for most.   Especially since there is generally a return from Hawaii delivery involved for many.

Seems to miss the point.  A number of boats have to get from the PNW to SF Bay before the start.  Whether they are racing or not is only the question.  There are currently at least 8 boats registered for Pac Cup from the PNW and only 1 or 2 are trailerable.  

I do see one wrinkle.  Typically you bring a lot of extra stuff to the start, that then goes in the container and is put aboard for the return trip.  

3 hours ago, Roleur said:

No entiendo.

I think you are talking about a race back from Hawaii, but...   

Race to Hawaii. Just start like a normal race with a ridiculously long line. My point is that the whole coast is pretty close to a constant radius of 2000 miles so you could draw that radius and start anywhere. Pretty weird idea, but it’s a fun question anyway. Where would you start?  It might actually be a good race. 

I didn't miss the point.   A delivery vs a race is quite different on gear and people.   Doing a delivery is usually done with less people, carry extra gear as you mentioned, etc.   

Ha, ha. How about a race from S.F. to Port T? Ala Sydney Hobart. 

On 1/7/2020 at 3:56 PM, jhc said:

Ha, ha. How about a race from S.F. to Port T? Ala Sydney Hobart. 

Sounds wonderful. Say with a November start date?

On 2/6/2020 at 10:01 AM, jdazey said:

Sounds wonderful. Say with a November start date?

June 26.