Sign in to follow this  
kmcfast

J 36 mast rake

How much aft rake is ideal? Also has anyone used running backstays on one?

I believe running back stays were standard equipment on the original boat.  Look for a sail plan or ask your sailmaker if they have one.

the only thing I know about J36 tuning is you want to be mindful with the jumper strut tuning as it influences mast bend and where the bend occurs. How that is best accomplished, I have no idea.  

We use our running backs when the mast starts pumping with the spinnaker up at about 25 knots TWS.  Otherwise the regular backstay seems sufficient. Our jumpers are pretty tight. We find those polars somewhat unrealistic, but still managed to win our club championship trophy again this year. Where are you sailing? 

MAY2019memday.jpg

I was lucky enough to race a J36 (Feather) for the first time this fall here in ORF.  The boat had a running backstays and in 25+, we had them 'firmly snug' but not piano wire tight.  Gave the J111 here a run for their $ on a boat built in 1986. I looked up the rig but, did not sight it from the dock to see how much rake she was running with.

A  fun boat to race on and very stable in a fresh breeze.

Sail Safe! 

1 hour ago, SailRacer said:

I was lucky enough to race a J36 (Feather) for the first time this fall here in ORF.  The boat had a running backstays and in 25+, we had them 'firmly snug' but not piano wire tight.  Gave the J111 here a run for their $ on a boat built in 1986. I looked up the rig but, did not sight it from the dock to see how much rake she was running with.

A  fun boat to race on and very stable in a fresh breeze.

Sail Safe! 

We like beating the J/109’s, J/120’s and Beneteau 36.7’s around here.  Especially when their sails cost more than we spent to buy the boat.

_MG_8115.jpg

Dear God Paul,

A: Your sails cost the same as their sails...in both cases, more that you paid for your boat, but that's generally true for almost any used boat dating to the 1980s

B:  Don't see any J/109s or J/120s in your pic.  Just a J/105.  Just sayin'

C: Its PHRF.  Ratings for J/109, J/120, First 36.7 and yes, J-36 are all well established and pretty "fair,"  so the crew that makes the least number of mistakes, etc, etc, will win the race.  It's not really the boat....maybe you and your crew are just that good, and if you had a J/109, or a J/120, or a Bene 36.7, you'd be winning everything on with those boats too!

PS...I like the J/36, its a great boat.  But so are all the other ones you mentioned.

Crash

Sailracer,

Feather has been a fixture of the racing scene at HYC for a long time.  Raced against her on my J/109 back in 2003-2007.  They beat me more than I beat them.  Great boat and great crew!

But what about the optimum amount of mast rake ?

That is what we want to know.

This thread is no good without...

post-1984-003707500%201316111217_thumb.jpg

Sail Safe!

• Like 1

Found the tuning guide from Rod Johnstone.  PM me & I can email it to you. 

Rod Johnstone says he set the mast on his boat so that the center of his main halyard pin, hoisted to the top, is 55’ 10 3/4” from the center of the transom, with one 7/8” block in front of the mast at the partners.  We put three 3/4” blocks (1 1/2” total) in front of the mast at the partners, and have not measured the distance from the transom to the top of the hoisted halyard.  

On 1/9/2020 at 7:46 AM, SailRacer said:

But what about the optimum amount of mast rake ?

That is what we want to know.

This thread is no good without...

post-1984-003707500%201316111217_thumb.jpg

Sail Safe!

Nice choice

On ‎1‎/‎11‎/‎2020 at 9:23 PM, PaulK said:

Rod Johnstone says he set the mast on his boat so that the center of his main halyard pin, hoisted to the top, is 55’ 10 3/4” from the center of the transom, with one 7/8” block in front of the mast at the partners.  We put three 3/4” blocks (1 1/2” total) in front of the mast at the partners, and have not measured the distance from the transom to the top of the hoisted halyard.  

Any tuning guide by Rod is to how he likes to sail the boat...which for all of his boats is with neutral to slight lee helm. 

On 1/8/2020 at 8:11 PM, Crash said:

Dear God Paul,

A: Your sails cost the same as their sails...in both cases, more that you paid for your boat, but that's generally true for almost any used boat dating to the 1980s

B:  Don't see any J/109s or J/120s in your pic.  Just a J/105.  Just sayin'

C: Its PHRF.  Ratings for J/109, J/120, First 36.7 and yes, J-36 are all well established and pretty "fair,"  so the crew that makes the least number of mistakes, etc, etc, will win the race.  It's not really the boat....maybe you and your crew are just that good, and if you had a J/109, or a J/120, or a Bene 36.7, you'd be winning everything on with those boats too!

PS...I like the J/36, its a great boat.  But so are all the other ones you mentioned.

Crash

Sailracer,

Feather has been a fixture of the racing scene at HYC for a long time.  Raced against her on my J/109 back in 2003-2007.  They beat me more than I beat them.  Great boat and great crew!

Tallest midget in the circus?  :) 

'but still managed to win our club championship trophy again this year'. 

On 1/15/2020 at 5:43 AM, sailman said:

Any tuning guide by Rod is to how he likes to sail the boat...which for all of his boats is with neutral to slight lee helm. 

Every J boat I’ve sailed on would be faster with more rake..as the Kiwis say “ if you have to sail with a tight leech ya need more rake”