blunderfull

Minneys Closed

How do you remodel 50 yr old failing boat parts ? Move them from one side of the building to the other, and then double the price ?

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Al Paca said:

How do you remodel 50 yr old failing boat parts ? Move them from one side of the building to the other, and then double the price ?

Kind of like these guys do every 20 years or so...

Kidding aside, I always thought Ernie ran this biz to have a place to store all the gear he acquired thru the many years his family have been sailing and running their chandelry.  

That picture he has from way back of him selling lanterns off his boat in Austrailia while on a circumnavigation really framed his character for me.  

On only a casual level I knew him but, I looked forward to hearing his stories about  boats and sailors from Newp Harbor he’s known thru the years. More than a few of those characters you’d meet there on a Saturday and stand around and yak it up with some free Joe & a donut. Always a fun hangout.

Lack of pretense is hard to find in many places nowadays but Minneys was about sailing and wild stories.  One of a kind.

As with many things - there are no other places like this left around the harbor.  I live a couple blocks away and for me the old neighborhood just got a little less colorful.

Best organized second hand shop I've ever seen. Hope they will be back in business soon, and not surrender to some fashion store.

PS. I see Sailorman have been reorganized too, loved them as well.

Consignment and second hand marine stores are virtually a thing of the past.

We've got none.

The boat wrecking yard in Lynden is all there is anywhere around here now.

Does anyone know the actual story about Minneys? Are they gone, are they reorganizing like that sign says, are they changing generations?

1 hour ago, SloopJonB said:

Does anyone know the actual story about Minneys? Are they gone, are they reorganizing like that sign says, are they changing generations?

Ernie wants to sell out.  He dropped the price from $3M to $2M.  He owns the dirt, and is willing to lease at a $$$ price.   He’s 80+ years old, and wants to hang it up.

Damn, nothing but disappointments. First they sell Kelpie, then they close Josh Slocum's, now this.

Doesn't he have any grand kids?

Just thought I would post a picture of the real Erie's Kelpie. not as pretty as the other Kelpie's pictured but still a good old boat. As she was when I sailed on her.

dsc04855_1_orig.thumb.jpg.f259266c54a4486d1a3695657722b6bf.jpg

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Overbored said:

Just thought I would post a picture of the real Erie's Kelpie. not as pretty as the other Kelpie's pictured but still a good old boat. As she was when I sailed on her.

dsc04855_1_orig.thumb.jpg.f259266c54a4486d1a3695657722b6bf.jpg

I thought that white Kelpie seemed a lot finer than the old black schooner I remember in front of Josh Slocum's. What ever happened to this one?

2 hours ago, Willin' said:

I thought that white Kelpie seemed a lot finer than the old black schooner I remember in front of Josh Slocum's. What ever happened to this one?

Well, thanks.  I never saw Kelpie.  Got a signed framed color photo of ‘Saramang’ from EM, so I’m sure on that.  

Anyone in touch with Shari?  She’s got the story.  

Messing with boat Sunday and when need something there’s no go to Minneys now.  Strange feeling.   Bummer actually.

There’s Worse Marine. They have the nicest walking shorts with lobsters on them that you’ll find, west of Nantucket that is. 

On 1/4/2020 at 4:07 PM, Rasputin22 said:

I was at Sailorman years ago, and was totally blown away!!!  Hope they last another 100 years!!

Sad to see this. Been going there for 30 years +. Was a great used sail resource when manufacturers jacked up their prices by 50-75-100+%.

Kelly Marine in San Pedro seems worth a look-see.  They have Cal 20 bits and pieces, used sails and so forth.   Moving on.....

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, blunderfull said:

Kelly Marine in San Pedro seems worth a look-see.  They have Cal 20 bits and pieces, used sails and so forth.   Moving on.....

Jib is a great guy and always fair.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, DryArmour said:

Jib is a great guy and always fair.

Thanks.   

Any other places around LA/OC/Dago that might have surplus sails and so on?

22 hours ago, blunderfull said:

Thanks.   

Any other places around LA/OC/Dago that might have surplus sails and so on?

Try contacting Harry at H2O sails.  He has a pretty good selection of sails!

Stopped in at Kelly’s.   ‘Little’ the operative word here.   Jib in on Mondays if need to discuss used sails in a container.   No inventory list.

It would appear that most of their biz is rigging/hull work, in particular Cal 20’s.

On 1/4/2020 at 9:52 PM, SloopJonB said:

Consignment and second hand marine stores are virtually a thing of the past.

We've got none.

The boat wrecking yard in Lynden is all there is anywhere around here now.

That's true here as there was a place off Wounded Knee and they would buy stuff in bulk and overstock, builders, stuff from bankruptcies, etc and my old office was close by so drop in several times a week as you never knew you'd find a little treasure. I don't know about the Island but in Gibsons: https://thebitterendexchange.com/ I'm trying to get my club do a yard sale in the spring but? 

Tally Ho, the nautical trinket shop across the street from Kelly Marine shut down several months ago.  I heard due to rent increase.  The Spot, the Dive Bar up the street, is going to knocked over to build apartments.  H2O Sails and SeaTek both lost their leases in Wilmington.  A lot of marine businesses are getting priced out of their neighborhoods.  I don't think a Minney's type of shop would survive out in Fontana, where the rent is cheaper!

My favorite thing at Minney's was the spool ends of rope. Sold by the pound! If you bought dock lines or anchor rode anywhere else, you grossly overpaid.

I hope Ernies business continues. It's a cool place to look around and find something you either needed badly or never needed at all. Always fun.

Edited by Irrational 14

Cool Minnie's Story

I was sailing a Bieker 1(one of my favorite 14's) back in 1995. Had a ton of great memories with that boat including a full restoration done by yours truly.

Fast forward almost 25 years later - I'm browsing the aisles at Minneys one Saturday and I find a sweet carbon tube exactly the size/length I'm looking for, dirt cheap for another one of my projects.

I pull it out of the pile in which it was heavily buried, spiders and all. What do I see? The same sail number and name of my old steed that I painted on years earlier. 

• Like 2

On 1/13/2020 at 12:41 PM, silent bob said:

Tally Ho, the nautical trinket shop across the street from Kelly Marine shut down several months ago.  I heard due to rent increase.  The Spot, the Dive Bar up the street, is going to knocked over to build apartments.  H2O Sails and SeaTek both lost their leases in Wilmington.  A lot of marine businesses are getting priced out of their neighborhoods.  I don't think a Minney's type of shop would survive out in Fontana, where the rent is cheaper!

They can be anywhere. All they have to do is hook up with Amazon Prime and you can get your crap the next day. Why waste time and $ having Uber drive u over to dat place.

It's also better 4 the environment!!!!!!!!

Well, only eleven months till the grand reopening. As I drive by every morning on my way in to work I have seen nada work being done on said remodeling. Liquidation sale coming soon?

Note from Ernie to Latitude 38;

”Minney’s  Yacht Surplus will be buffed up and ready for you in 2021.

Projects include the repaving of the back parking lot, new restrooms, cleaning and painting sail containers, building new sail racks, and better display spaces and lighting in the lower part of the store.”

Good news - I've long wanted to take another road trip to LA and visiting Minneys was a big part of that.

On 1/4/2020 at 4:07 PM, Rasputin22 said:

HAHAHAHAHA!   That place has such a reputation! Drove by it a bunch going to Lesters, and saw so many sad piles of junk outside. Like corroded bow pulpits. Lots of them for some reason.

Lesters! My favorite place in town! 

Sailorman was one of my sponsors when I competed in the Worrell 1000 catamaran marathon from Ft Lauderdale to Virginia Beach! Actually Lester's was  to in a way... I was so broke at the time and one of my other sponsors told the management about my entry in the race without my knowledge and I would be given huge portions even when ordering the cheapest thing on the menu. I finally figures out the clandestine sponsorship when I took a friend there with me for lunch. He got the regular portion size and I got maybe twice as much food with and entry that was half the price of his!

Not really the kind of cuisine that I should have been eating during my training before the big race but the price was right. 

Image result for lester's fort lauderdale

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Rasputin22 said:

Lesters! My favorite place in town! 

Sailorman was one of my sponsors when I competed in the Worrell 1000 catamaran marathon from Ft Lauderdale to Virginia Beach! Actually Lester's was  to in a way... I was so broke at the time and one of my other sponsors told the management about my entry in the race without my knowledge and I would be given huge portions even when ordering the cheapest thing on the menu. I finally figures out the clandestine sponsorship when I took a friend there with me for lunch. He got the regular portion size and I got maybe twice as much food with and entry that was half the price of his!

Not really the kind of cuisine that I should have been eating during my training before the big race but the price was right. 

Image result for lester's fort lauderdale

I didn't know you sailed the Worrel 1000! Speaking of which, I actually met Randy Smythe two miles from Lester's about a year ago. Never met him before that. You must have raced against him!

On 1/14/2020 at 2:28 PM, VWAP said:

They can be anywhere. All they have to do is hook up with Amazon Prime and you can get your crap the next day. Why waste time and $ having Uber drive u over to dat place.

It's also better 4 the environment!!!!!!!!

Because you lose the possibility of discovery, talking to people who know their shit, running into old friends, having something interesting along the street as you drive by, fitting and manipulating widgets to get the actual set up you need, just a few things like that.  Or put another way, the whole purpose of living in a city. 

Meanwhile Amazon is starting up retail bookstores and convenience stores.  Even they get that they have lost something in translation to e-tail.

Curmudgeon that I am, I tell my family that if they haven't walked into a store to buy it, don't send it to me as a gift.  Total retrograde. 

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, fastyacht said:

I didn't know you sailed the Worrell 1000! Speaking of which, I actually met Randy Smythe two miles from Lester's about a year ago. Never met him before that. You must have raced against him!

Yes, Randy was in the race that year. He had sponsorship from the event sponsor that year, Domino's Pizza.  It was a new concept hull design that looked like the hulls were upside down as the bottoms were pretty flat and the decks were almost non existant. Supposedly planing hulls. Really nice and tall carbon wingspar that fell down halfway through the first leg in really mild conditions. He was smoking North at the time and was the only boat ahead of at the time. He was in sight just head of us just off the beach and the next time I looked I couldn't even see the boat. It was like he had gone into 'warp drive' into the next universe but the I noticed his rig was down. We sailed past and hooted at him but he was not in the mood for our jeering at the time. We were elated that we had just overtaken the lead from a Olympic Gold and many time world and nationals champ but our karma soon caught up with us as we lost our rig maybe 10 miles further up the coast. 

We barely managed to get both boat rigged once more and back out on the course. We were going to have to sail all through the windless night to have any chance of making the 10 AM start of the next leg. That night on the edge of the Gulf Stream is a tale unto itself, but yes, I have raced against Randy many times on all sorts of multihulls.

PS, I don't think I have ever met anyone who hated to lose more than he. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Rasputin22 said:

Yes, Randy was in the race that year. He had sponsorship from the event sponsor that year, Domino's Pizza.  It was a new concept hull design that looked like the hulls were upside down as the bottoms were pretty flat and the decks were almost non existant. Supposedly planing hulls. Really nice and tall carbon wingspar that fell down halfway through the first leg in really mild conditions. He was smoking North at the time and was the only boat ahead of at the time. He was in sight just head of us just off the beach and the next time I looked I couldn't even see the boat. It was like he had gone into 'warp drive' into the next universe but the I noticed his rig was down. We sailed past and hooted at him but he was not in the mood for our jeering at the time. We were elated that we had just overtaken the lead from a Olympic Gold and many time world and nationals champ but our karma soon caught up with us as we lost our rig maybe 10 miles further up the coast. 

We barely managed to get both boat rigged once more and back out on the course. We were going to have to sail all through the windless night to have any chance of making the 10 AM start of the next leg. That night on the edge of the Gulf Stream is a tale unto itself, but yes, I have raced against Randy many times on all sorts of multihulls.

PS, I don't think I have ever met anyone who hated to lose more than he. 

Oh my god taht is *the* year that I remember reading an article just transfixed about it! The "planing" hulls and all!

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, fastyacht said:

Oh my god taht is *the* year that I remember reading an article just transfixed about it! The "planing" hulls and all!

The very one! A disaster for us both and a couple of other boats as well. That was the year just after Ted Turner's 'Freedom Games' and Mike Worrell somehow thought we should make it up to the Russians for the '86 Olympic boycott  by inviting the Russian team that had won in the Freedom Games in the Tornado. Now those guys were lots of fun on that race! 

image.png.94dbf447400846b205498ee86b100102.png

• Like 1

9 hours ago, blunderfull said:

Note from Ernie to Latitude 38;

”Minney’s  Yacht Surplus will be buffed up and ready for you in 2021.

Projects include the repaving of the back parking lot, new restrooms, cleaning and painting sail containers, building new sail racks, and better display spaces and lighting in the lower part of the store.”

Didn’t even know they had a back parking lot. This changes everything. 

3 hours ago, Al Paca said:

Didn’t even know they had a back parking lot. This changes everything. 

I don't think it was ever used for actual parking. On most days you are likely to see a 40-foot luffed jib stretched out as some bargain hunter tries to determine how much life is left in the bitch. That pavement is as cluttered as the rest of the property. A few 40-foot shipping containers, racks with old spars, 200 bow pulpits left over from when Islander Yachts ceased production in the mid-'80s... you get the picture.

You are correct sir. I have been in the back parking lot. Just thought it was more floor space for displaying his wares. 

8 hours ago, Somebody Else said:

... 200 bow pulpits left over from when Islander Yachts ceased production in the mid-'80s... you get the picture.

That explains where Sailorman got theirs! (haha;)

10 hours ago, Somebody Else said:

I don't think it was ever used for actual parking. On most days you are likely to see a 40-foot luffed jib stretched out as some bargain hunter tries to determine how much life is left in the bitch. That pavement is as cluttered as the rest of the property. A few 40-foot shipping containers, racks with old spars, 200 bow pulpits left over from when Islander Yachts ceased production in the mid-'80s... you get the picture.

Sounds like you are not a recycler/bargain hunter.

6 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

Sounds like you are not a recycler/bargain hunter.

I recycle... but in the other direction... as a seller/donator not as a buyer. On wear items, I'd rather save up a little longer and feel more confident in my gear.

I have bought from Minney's though. They sell spool ends of rope by the pound. I don't think I've ever used it for sheets 'n' halyards, but pretty much all my dock lines and trailer tie-downs are from there.

I saw an Indian painting the front of the building today. I guess that’s a start on the remodeling. They are going to need a virtual parade of dumpsters to clear out the useless mounds of shite inside. 

On 1/6/2020 at 5:24 PM, billy backstay said:

I was at Sailorman years ago, and was totally blown away!!!  Hope they last another 100 years!!

Yeah.  Spent a few hours there!

Less than 3 months till “Grand Reopening”. Haven’t seen any activity there for many months. 

I have heard from reliable source that re-opening is the current plan. No clue on time line.

Wow, I remember going there with my dad in the early eighties, when we lived in Ensenada, I remember him talking about Ernie.

Long time ago.

Minney owns the building & land, so there's not a lot of financial pressure to change things

6 hours ago, longy said:

Minney owns the building & land, so there's not a lot of financial pressure to change things

Ernie Minney odd?

Owns property worth millions.

Lives in a funky trailer park.

The millionbillionaire next door.  I hope Covid doesn't foil his plan.  Sounds like the kind of place I'd like to browse.

Never been to Minneys but I do like marine consignment shops, old boat yards, & shops when the time and opportunity is convenient.   I bypass the useless shit.  Sometimes I find stuff I need.  Some folks love to window shop in malls.  Me not so much.  

I only stopped in a couple of times, but I agree that at least half their inventory should probably be trashed, burned, or melted down. 

It does serve to make you feel special when you find something you can use though. All in all I loved the place and hope it re-opens, maybe with a bit of judicious culling. 

49 minutes ago, Al Paca said:

You like to browse through piles of really old and useless shit?  

Looking for the diamonds in the coal chute.

I have found loads of incredible bargains in consignment shops.

It's the same thing as car guys cruising wrecking yards.

2 hours ago, Al Paca said:

Not really but...

They have a lot of rope spool ends, lengths under 100-feet, that they sell by the pound. I used to get all my dock lines there.

The have an interesting collection of books, some new, many out of print. I got a hardbound copy of Richard Henry Dana's book there.

On 10/6/2020 at 11:00 AM, Somebody Else said:

Ernie Minney odd?

Owns property worth millions.

Lives in a funky trailer park.

Ernie surely doesn't live in a trailer park, he looks out over Newport Harbour and Catalina from every room in his magnificent home.

On ‎10‎/‎11‎/‎2020 at 3:24 AM, sailglobal said:

Ernie surely doesn't live in a trailer park, he looks out over Newport Harbour and Catalina from every room in his magnificent home.

^^^ Yup.  Older house, but phenomenal location.

On 10/10/2020 at 7:59 PM, Al Paca said:

That's a bit harsh. The guy offers Used or NOS discount marine goods at decent prices to many folks. What's wrong w/that?

His store has run successfully for how many decades?

He's got an inventory that most businesses cannot offer.

You visit Minneys with an agenda-  to find a part that nobody else has. Either a mate to another or something to complete your classic resto or just get you back on the water for not much expense.

I like my modern gear but for those hard to find items that are no longer made... Minney's is worth checking out. Just don't expect to outfit your Melges 32 with his stock.

When it's gone for good, we all loose.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Irrational 14 said:

When it's gone for good, we all loose.

Amen.

We have no consignment shops left and CL is just not a substitute.

Closest thing left is the Lynden Yacht Recycler (wrecking yard) and it's across the closed border so I'm jonesing.

Anyone who talks about a place like Minney's the way Al did is obviously a cheque writer, not someone who works on their boats to any extent.

Minney's is amazing. I am looking forward to the re-opening.

Spencer’s marine supply and consignment, located in Sidney, B.C. has always helped me out.  www.spencersmarinesupply.com

• Like 1

Minney’s is great, but let’s remembered it’s key suppliers were all the local sailboat and powerboat builders who had old inventory......but none of those places exist anymore.....

8 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

Anyone who talks about a place like Minney's the way Al did is obviously a cheque writer, not someone who works on their boats to any extent.

I work on other people’s boats. 44 yrs now.  And one of my accounts has some Minneys bought gear on it. Some bronze jib hanks, but used for something other than on a sail.  I do go in there occasionally, but usually leave empty handed.   ( although my hands are filthy after picking through all the crappy broken down gear).  

I like the way you spell check “Cheque”. Sounds like you have money.  Maybe you could send me one of your “cheques”.  Make it big. 

Met few people around here that have the experience Ernie has.   Racing, cruising, buying/selling.   Call me biased but Minneys is a cool place to hang.

I recently had a chance to meet/talk Newp Harbor sailing with Hank Thayer at Baxter & Cicero loft.   Same vibe - been there, done that and still running the loft.   For a Finn sailor it’s like a little museum of pics, bits and story.  One very cool guy and a pretty neat loft.

Look around - this area is changing again.   The west side of CM is transforming to the west coast Soho.  Chris Welsh sold his trailer park off Newp Blvd last month.   Still wondering when we get the word we’re out and they build 20-25 townhouses.  Still a fair number of fishermen, sailors and mechanics living here.   Time waits for no one.

Shopping for bronze hanks, I didn’t notice any changes.   On a budget today so I’ll get down & dirty (wear gloves) this Saturday.

Bob’s going full gas next door at his loft & cars out front Minneys.   Thankful for any small gains these days.

Appt call:  Eric @ 714-659-1448

*sidebar*

I know I'm a kook, but do I remember correctly that BITD there was a kind of a rough boatyard just east of Hoag, adjacent to the boulevard where it started going uphill?

I remember some large yachts being built there, maybe sport fishing type?

4 hours ago, Al Paca said:

So the “ remodel “ is complete? How beautiful is it in there?  

Shirley you jest  Everything in there is worth lotsa money!!

18 hours ago, blunderfull said:

I didn’t notice any changes.   (wear gloves) 

Thanks for the heads up!

tRump is going to be in town tomorrow. Prolly will be driving down Newport blvd. and passing right by Minneys. And being a “builder” himself he may  want to stop in and check out the “remodel”. Or maybe pick up a pair of used #10’s Barients. 

It's encouraging that it looks like they really will remain in business and I for one am happy with a "light touch" remodel that retains the traditional Minney's vibe. Would anyone really want a Minney's that just looked like a West Marine outlet store?

• Like 3