Sign in to follow this  
Grande Mastere Dreade

Showtime capsize on return trip

Recommended Posts

14 hours ago, Gorn FRANTIC!! said:

Showtime has been recovered.

Picture I was shown, shows what appears to be a clean break where the keel joins the hull. Minimal tearing of the outer skin on the port side suggesting that's the way it separated.

 

10 hours ago, Fiji Bitter said:

That will certainly help the investigations, but we don't want to wait for that. Not sure what you are describing, perhaps you can be more specific, and even get that picture for us.

Is it as described by Jason previously, that the top keel plate is still there?

 

Now boys,

 

Its great that the boat is being recovered as like most I’d like to see photos and hear why it failed. 

 

Just remember  through just because the Boat has been recovered it still doesn’t mean AS or any other self interested party will be given the legal right to inspect and write a report when the boat gets back on the hard. If they do a inspect on the boat and write and publish a report with out permission from any of the party’s involved they could still leave themselves open to legal action. 

 

This is just the way I see it. I think AS still needs to be very careful as they are still walking in the mine field over this one. 

 

Pulpit

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

... and what possible power could AS have to compel anyone to give information or assist?

We won't let you race any more !! Good luck making that stick.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Fiji Bitter said:

Schakel, wil je aub stoppen met dat gezeik. Je begint weer een vervelende klier te worden, die terug gestuurd gaat worden naar Endegeest.

Maak me niet kwaad!

Ir. FB.

Abridged translation: Shackle, fuck off to the Madhouse.

 

He's enjoying himself chasing me around the forums. :P

  1.  59f24a27a380b_aIIIback2.png.jpg  Schakel reacted to a post in a topic: Brexit WTF, WTF 13 hours ago
  2.  59f24a27a380b_aIIIback2.png.jpg  Schakel reacted to a post in a topic: Brexit WTF, WTF 13 hours ago
  3.  59f24a27a380b_aIIIback2.png.jpg  Schakel reacted to a post in a topic: Brexit WTF, WTF 13 hours ago
  4.  59f24a27a380b_aIIIback2.png.jpg  Schakel reacted to a post in a topic: Brexit WTF, WTF 13 hours ago
  5.  59f24a27a380b_aIIIback2.png.jpg  Schakel reacted to a post in a topic: Brexit WTF, WTF 13 hours ago
  6.  59f24a27a380b_aIIIback2.png.jpg  Schakel reacted to a post in a topic: Brexit WTF, WTF 13 hours ago
  7.  59f24a27a380b_aIIIback2.png.jpg  Schakel reacted to a post in a topic: Brexit WTF, WTF 13 hours ago

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Sailabout said:

insurance company makes a payout and AS buys the wreck.....

Sailabout, 

And there goes their Olympic budget for them to fly the flag for us average sailors. 

 

It wont happen as it’s to risky for them to even touch it. AS don’t and can’t spend the money they need too to do this properly with out opening them selfs up to problems. 

 

We need people here to stop pushing them to do more as it will cost AS in the long run. 

 

Pulpit

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Why would anyone want to encourage Australian Sailing to get involved anyway?

The boat  was reviewed by class. DNVGL will have interest in it. IYRU already requires classification over 24 m and review to ISO under 24 by Class. Let the classification societies do their jobs and leave the sport's governing bodies out of it.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, pulpit said:

Sailabout, 

And there goes their Olympic budget for them to fly the flag for us average sailors. 

 

It wont happen as it’s to risky for them to even touch it. AS don’t and can’t spend the money they need too to do this properly with out opening them selfs up to problems. 

 

We need people here to stop pushing them to do more as it will cost AS in the long run. 

 

Pulpit

its was tongue in cheek on how AS would get involved.

If it was a classed item that failed there will be plenty going on in the background but then again class just bids for work and the low bid gets the job...

Its a downward spiral in ever decreasing circles

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've certainly noticed a decrease in quality of Class plan review offices in the past few decades.

Unless somebody pays them DNV-GL might not get involved with inspecting the failed keel attachment.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/28/2020 at 4:16 AM, Gorn FRANTIC!! said:

Picture I was shown, shows what appears to be a clean break where the keel joins the hull. Minimal tearing of the outer skin on the port side suggesting that's the way it separated.

I was once shown photos of Elle Macpherson doing a lesbo porn photoshoot before she became famous.

 

You know the SA rules, pictures or it never happened....

 

elle-macpherson-1279235.jpg 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, The Dark Knight said:

I was once shown photos of Elle Macpherson doing a lesbo porn photoshoot before she became famous.

 

You know the SA rules, pictures or it never happened....

 

elle-macpherson-1279235.jpg 

You sure it was Elle? Someone sent me a porn clip of Mimi and some dude maybe 20 years back. Mimi was pretty hot.

FKT

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Fah Kiew Tu said:

You sure it was Elle? Someone sent me a porn clip of Mimi and some dude maybe 20 years back. Mimi was pretty hot.

FKT

Oh that’s right, I saw that video too.

And in this case, here is the proof

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQc2gkwarC0BCiZH7_Xnmt

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Laser1 said:

Has the boat (wreck) been dragged in and is it on the hard somewhere ?

Still a bit early in Oz, but those who seem to know are not telling us very much, for some reason.

 They are not real anarchists, you know...

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/29/2020 at 10:52 AM, The Dark Knight said:

I was once shown photos of Elle Macpherson doing a lesbo porn photoshoot before she became famous.

 

You know the SA rules, pictures or it never happened....

 

elle-macpherson-1279235.jpg 

You sure that wasn’t the film ‘Sirens’ about the Artist Norman Lindsay? It also starred Kate Fisher before she stopped being hot.

B6E8FACD-5D3D-44CE-83F0-26954445F27E.jpeg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

BTW how did we get from a race boat losing its keel to Elle staring in porn films?

Fuck I love this place.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Fiji Bitter said:

Still a bit early in Oz, but those who seem to know are not telling us very much, for some reason.

 They are not real anarchists, you know...

 

All will be revealed when the time is right 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Rumpig said:

All will be revealed when the time is right 

After the AS investigation, I guess? B)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I guess I could put up some photos of the cracks in the hull around the keel, but I'd rather see photos of Elle. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Rawhide said:

I guess I could put up some photos of the cracks in the hull around the keel, but I'd rather see photos of Elle. 

Can you put up some photos of Elle too?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, LB 15 said:

BTW how did we get from a race boat losing its keel to Elle staring in porn films?

Fuck I love this place.

Seems legit to me, knowledge of both is all in everyone here's imagination 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, fastyacht said:

This is why my wife rolls her eyes about SA...haha.

My wife thinks this is a forum about Sailing

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, LB 15 said:

BTW how did we get from a race boat losing its keel to Elle staring in porn films?

Fuck I love this place.

They both smell like fish at the moment. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I tell mine its is just a forum where we talk shit and share old photos.

Image result for elle macpherson sirens nude

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, LB 15 said:

I tell mine its is just a forum where we talk shit and share old photos.

Image result for elle macpherson sirens nude

she was/is pretty perfect.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Was she what. Still is.

I do remember reading an interview with her when she talked about her diet - she said she drinks 6 lts of water first thing every morning.

So she must piss a lot. Deal breaker?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, SCANAS said:

They both smell like fish at the moment. 

And could do with an undergrowth trim. 

IMG_6582.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, Rawhide said:

And could do with an undergrowth trim. 

IMG_6582.jpg

Maybe AS could do their investigation and report about the Keel failure on the growth on the deck when up turned for 2 months ?

 

pulpit

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Rawhide said:

I guess I could put up some photos of Elle's crack ...............

Fixerated :lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, LB 15 said:

So she must piss a lot. Deal breaker?

Some people are into that kind of thing you know.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, LB 15 said:

You sure that wasn’t the film ‘Sirens’ about the Artist Norman Lindsay? It also starred Kate Fisher before she stopped being hot.

B6E8FACD-5D3D-44CE-83F0-26954445F27E.jpeg


Haha

 

 

 

 

1B77B1B8-9846-43B5-84F9-911410DB7F02.jpeg

B31B00AF-51AB-4080-84E3-4480620BC49C.jpeg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

epic threaddrift whilst staying somewhat on topic... 

Maybe SA is why i dont have a wife

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, Kaptajnen said:

epic threaddrift whilst staying somewhat on topic... 

Maybe SA is why i dont have a wife

Haha

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Doesn’t take long for all that growth to happen. You can easily remove it.

469C872B-1D72-45F5-A17D-AA7DAC4B8F7A.jpeg

66886F58-73BB-45B2-9BEB-97782A0443F5.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Rawhide said:

And could do with an undergrowth trim. 

IMG_6582.jpg

That's pretty excessive non skid isn't it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Missing a wheel?  Seems odd... doesn't seem to be other damage.  Wonder if it came off during the recovery, or something?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, sledracr said:

Missing a wheel?  

and a mast... and more importantly... a keel

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, sledracr said:

Missing a wheel?  Seems odd... doesn't seem to be other damage.  Wonder if it came off during the recovery, or something?

Keep in mind, an upside down boat doesn’t lend it self to a friendly tow home. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Monkey said:

Keep in mind, an upside down boat doesn’t lend it self to a friendly tow home. 

does it mean a calm sea state for all the sea life to attach itself with such fervor? with all that attached would anyone attempt to make her whole again? seems like an awesome boat when it has a mast, keel, and non-infested topsides.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow @Mahina , that's great work!

Are that your pictures? If so, tell us a little more about it.

And can someone, with a better resolution screen than mine, tell me if he sees any actual hull damage?

Or @Mahina , if you were there yourself.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Fiji Bitter said:

Wow @Mahina , that's great work!

Are that your pictures? If so, tell us a little more about it.

And can someone, with a better resolution screen than mine, tell me if he sees any actual hull damage?

Or @Mahina , if you were there yourself.

 

Not my photos, just spotted them on FB. Boat was found near the oil rigs in Bass Strait, towed in to Lakes Entrance.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wonder:

1) at what point did they give up towing it by the rudder blade?

2) why is red so god damned attractive to all the little growing thingys. 

6CB42C4E-B89F-46F7-846F-839AA51B1128.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, jo forthan said:

you kernt always get wot u want

 

That would be a great name for the rebuilt boat. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, jo forthan said:

I demand 3 welds from welders, so I know that after they have ground and polished the outer one which may damage the middle one, there is then the inner one that is strong

 

Just grind it. Just grind it some more !!

https://youtu.be/ZAX_ZhjJnwg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Any updates on this boat?  Anyone able to get to the yard and sneak a pic or two?  Got to think the legal suits are involved and want to limit public knowledge. But.........

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/25/2020 at 5:50 PM, Hitchhiker said:

Any updates on this boat?  Anyone able to get to the yard and sneak a pic or two?

Up!!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Any updates. Owners get paid out or ongoing shit fight? New boat? Anyone buy the left overs? 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, SCANAS said:

Any updates. Owners get paid out or ongoing shit fight? New boat? Anyone buy the left overs? 

I believe AS have completed their report on the keel loss but I do not think it has been released to the public yet! I have heard via Scuttlebutt that there is no clear blame to be had on why the keel failed, ie no issues with the design and construction works apparently..... 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/18/2020 at 6:51 AM, Panoramix said:

EU budget : €148.2 billions

US federal budget : $4450 billions

Despite what the rightwing press says, the EU is simply not a "juggernaut", it is a relatively lightweight political organisation for one that encompass 450 millions inhabitants (compare to the 330 millions of the USA).

Considering that the services provided are radically different your analysis is as specious as the EU. Aggregate ALL spending of the member nations, and then add the EU overhead on top. And don't forget that the US defense budget of $700 Billion goes a fair distance to protecting the Europeans who don't choose to fund their own defense, though that is perhaps changing

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, LionessRacing said:

 And don't forget that the US defense budget of $700 Billion goes a fair distance to protecting the Europeans who don't choose to fund their own defense, though that is perhaps changing

 


LOL okay Donald. You can't talk defense spending parity without considering why France and Germany remilitarizing isn't stabilizing for western europe while pretending US DOD spending actually means a lot to Europe when there's hardly any troops in Germany anymore, Reforger isn't exactly a thing & most of the US military defense spending has been blown on unicorns built by Austral USA, Lockheed Martin, and misc GWOT spending.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, LionessRacing said:

Considering that the services provided are radically different your analysis is as specious as the EU. Aggregate ALL spending of the member nations, and then add the EU overhead on top.

That was precisely my point. The EU is a very lightweight structure once you consider the population involved. There are lot of missions such as defence which are the responsibility of the US federal government whereas the EU don't deal with them.

 

11 minutes ago, LionessRacing said:

And don't forget that the US defense budget of $700 Billion goes a fair distance to protecting the Europeans who don't choose to fund their own defense, though that is perhaps changing

One would be naive to think that Trump's America would come to protect us!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, LionessRacing said:

And don't forget that the US defense budget of $700 Billion goes a fair distance to protecting the Europeans who don't choose to fund their own defense, though that is perhaps changing

What a load nonsense Lion. $700 billion equates to around 10 aircraft carriers every year. The US needs aircraft carriers to project it's power in places it's not wanted. What does the EU need aircraft carriers for unless they come with wheels FFS. The EU states pay for US protection just sometimes slowly and it is based on GDP and the figures take a while to cook up. Anyway there is no US money left as Trump has stolen it all and buried it in his golf courses. That is why he has had to keep playing golf during Covid,  that's a lot of money and a lot of holes. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Panoramix said:

One would be naive to think that Trump's America would come to protect us!!!

Mate Trump is planning to invade EU with help of UK post Brexit. Buckle up. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Miffy said:

US military defense spending has been blown on unicorns built by Austral USA, Lockheed Martin, and misc GWOT spending.

Miff don't forget all that defence spending at McDonalds outside the bases and the hookers. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Surely the military can come up with something more expensive than an aircraft carrier that they must have. Flying/space/interstellar/submersible aircraft carrier?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well this thread has gone to hell in a handbasket.  

Does anyone have any pics of the keel box on Showtime?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

What a load nonsense Lion. $700 billion equates to around 10 aircraft carriers every year. The US needs aircraft carriers to project it's power in places it's not wanted. What does the EU need aircraft carriers for unless they come with wheels FFS. The EU states pay for US protection just sometimes slowly and it is based on GDP and the figures take a while to cook up. Anyway there is no US money left as Trump has stolen it all and buried it in his golf courses. That is why he has had to keep playing golf during Covid,  that's a lot of money and a lot of holes. 

Well Golly Jack if we only built 10 carriers a year, but we have not since 1945 or so. Agreed the EU doesn't need carriers, though the UK has found them useful (With US F-35...) and the French seem to want to play the global power game, albeit not so successfully the last 200 yrs or so, and not so successfully with French weapon systems, which have some excellent counter examples to their current standard of 2nd tier. An EU military would probably be even worse than the UN peacekeeping forces, as each country tried to steer the procurement to their suppliers, and the language and cultural barriers further diminished coordination. 

Ask yourself what does the EU provide that's worth One billion?

Standardization of market specifications to reduce transaction costs? 

Or the simple belief that a few thousand years of slogging land warfare based on religion, family squabbles and  disrespect can be put behind if only there's a sclerotic bureaucracy to provide an alternative? 

 

Quote

One would be naive to think that Trump's America would come to protect us!!!

Call yourself that if you feel it apropos, even Woodrow Wilson's America came to protect you, and then you guys bungled the peace so badly that Roosevelt's America had to do it again, a generation later. Stationing troops and equipment to forestall the spread of Communism seemed to make sense, though arguably now that you guys collectively are choosing to do business with the Russians on a key energy supply, since your Green initiatives are not panning out that well there's much less to protect. Russia's over, just a cold version of Pakistan. 

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, LionessRacing said:

Well Golly Jack if we only built 10 carriers a year, but we have not since 1945 or so. Agreed the EU doesn't need carriers, though the UK has found them useful (With US F-35...) and the French seem to want to play the global power game, albeit not so successfully the last 200 yrs or so, and not so successfully with French weapon systems, which have some excellent counter examples to their current standard of 2nd tier. An EU military would probably be even worse than the UN peacekeeping forces, as each country tried to steer the procurement to their suppliers, and the language and cultural barriers further diminished coordination. 

Ask yourself what does the EU provide that's worth One billion?

Standardization of market specifications to reduce transaction costs? 

Or the simple belief that a few thousand years of slogging land warfare based on religion, family squabbles and  disrespect can be put behind if only there's a sclerotic bureaucracy to provide an alternative? 

 

Call yourself that if you feel it apropos, even Woodrow Wilson's America came to protect you, and then you guys bungled the peace so badly that Roosevelt's America had to do it again, a generation later. Stationing troops and equipment to forestall the spread of Communism seemed to make sense, though arguably now that you guys collectively are choosing to do business with the Russians on a key energy supply, since your Green initiatives are not panning out that well there's much less to protect. Russia's over, just a cold version of Pakistan.

And here we see a Murican in the wild.

 

Now to get the thread back on track:

W-B-uestensand.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, LionessRacing said:

Well Golly Jack if we only built 10 carriers a year, but we have not since 1945 or so. Agreed the EU doesn't need carriers,....

Wwwwooooooossshhh :lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Back to keels, maybe.

A sailor at a local club wants to reduce the draft of his one tonner. 

The plan is to drop the keel, cut two feet out of the stainless steel blade, weld it back together, reattach to the hull, rebed and fair it.

Anyone have an opinion....

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, Lowly Crew said:

Back to keels, maybe.

A sailor at a local club wants to reduce the draft of his one tonner. 

The plan is to drop the keel, cut two feet out of the stainless steel blade, weld it back together, reattach to the hull, rebed and fair it.

Anyone have an opinion....

 

As long as no cardboard derivatives are used.  It should be all good!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Seriously though.  Is there any access to Showtime, or is the boat under wraps? Some one down under must know.

Or not!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Lowly Crew said:

The plan is to drop the keel, cut two feet out of the stainless steel blade, weld it back together, reattach to the hull, rebed and fair it.

Anyone have an opinion....

 

It didn't end well for Excalibur

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe use the old Anaconda 2 solution.  She was a maxi sloop designed for a Whitbread race in the 70's.

As it was explained to me,  the owner took one look at the design, and said,  "No no that won't do.  It is too deep for my favourite cruising area!  The designers response was supposedly   "Ok what we will do is take the bottom off the keel and attach it to the back,  and the top off the rig and mount it on the back deck,  now you have a ketch that you can cruise".  

Not sure about where you would position the aft mast on a one tonner though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TUBBY said:

Not sure about where you would position the aft mast on a one tonner though.

Just shorten the main boom and mount the mizzen atop the rudder post. Potential for it to be a wing style mast with that set-up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Lowly Crew said:

Back to keels, maybe.

A sailor at a local club wants to reduce the draft of his one tonner. 

The plan is to drop the keel, cut two feet out of the stainless steel blade, weld it back together, reattach to the hull, rebed and fair it.

Anyone have an opinion....

 

Would you jump on an aeroplane that when they found the wingspan too wide for the hanger cut a piece out of the middle of each wing and joined them back together Versus shortening the wings where they attach to the plane?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, LionessRacing said:

Well Golly Jack if we only built 10 carriers a year, but we have not since 1945 or so. Agreed the EU doesn't need carriers, though the UK has found them useful (With US F-35...) and the French seem to want to play the global power game, albeit not so successfully the last 200 yrs or so, and not so successfully with French weapon systems, which have some excellent counter examples to their current standard of 2nd tier. An EU military would probably be even worse than the UN peacekeeping forces, as each country tried to steer the procurement to their suppliers, and the language and cultural barriers further diminished coordination. 

Ask yourself what does the EU provide that's worth One billion?

Standardization of market specifications to reduce transaction costs? 

Or the simple belief that a few thousand years of slogging land warfare based on religion, family squabbles and  disrespect can be put behind if only there's a sclerotic bureaucracy to provide an alternative? 

 

Call yourself that if you feel it apropos, even Woodrow Wilson's America came to protect you, and then you guys bungled the peace so badly that Roosevelt's America had to do it again, a generation later. Stationing troops and equipment to forestall the spread of Communism seemed to make sense, though arguably now that you guys collectively are choosing to do business with the Russians on a key energy supply, since your Green initiatives are not panning out that well there's much less to protect.

 

 

Let's not forget the brulliant moments in our longstanding friendship where we jumped on your bandwagon for some crazy adventures in the Middle East or Afghanistan. 

Or the fact that the US imports of Russian oil are now so high that the US has become the second largest import nation. https://oilprice.com/Latest-Energy-News/World-News/Russias-Oil-Product-Exports-To-The-US-Jump-To-16-Year-High.html

Or this gem

Still, we love you.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On that page that shall not be named is a summary report issued by Australian Sailing. I found the following statement somewhat confusing, possibly due to the use of different nomenclature from what I would use.  

“The skipper had throughout the passage so far paid very close attention to the keel bolts. Towards Gabo Island it was noticed that two bolts had fallen out of the keel support structure fastening it to the rib aft of the keel and disappeared into the bilge area presumably and could not be found by the skipper. A third bolt had worked its way loose, but due to the significant loads on the keel support structure this bolt could not be re-fastened and was left out.”

Then this statement I find particularly disturbing:  The skipper knows there is a compromised structure yet the boss says keep going!

"By that point the yacht was suffering knockdowns. The skipper telephoned the owner with a view to taking shelter but a decision was made to continue with the delivery. At around 02:30 on January 5, Showtime was knocked down again. There was a loud metallic noise and the boat rolled 90 degrees. The keel broke off and the hull inverted." 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Hitchhiker said:

Then this statement I find particularly disturbing:  The skipper knows there is a compromised structure yet the boss says keep going!

"By that point the yacht was suffering knockdowns. The skipper telephoned the owner with a view to taking shelter but a decision was made to continue with the delivery. At around 02:30 on January 5, Showtime was knocked down again. There was a loud metallic noise and the boat rolled 90 degrees. The keel broke off and the hull inverted." 

 

Hindsight is wonderful but the skipper should have sought shelter and then rung the owner.

  • Like 2