Blur

J/111 sail configs in ORR?

We’re evaluating some US races and are trying to understand yet another rating rule (after IRC, ORCi, SRS (Sweden), NOR Rating (Norway) and DH (Denmark).

We like to optimize for max speed/fun and maximizing our already strong light air performance. But also be rated "fairly" and don't cross any magic boundaries :o
We have the possibility to do some configuration based on our inventory and what’s considered smart or overly penalized. 

a) 130 m2 A2 (one-design) vs 155 m2 A2 ”whomper”? 
Are ”oversized” downwind sails penalized, or a smart move in light wind areas?

b) jib 0? 51% half-width tacked w furler 1 m in front of forestay.  42 m2 vs 34 m2 for standard J1.
Depending on rule, can be measured either as a big headsail (without too much penalty) or a small code.
Works well in ORCi but big no-no in IRC.

c) Code half-width sweet spot?
I’ve seen the ”tweener”-articles, but are there any reasoning on a sweet spot between 50-75% on Large Roach Headsails (LRHs)?
We currently race with a 70 m2 55% code under local rules and replace it with a used 80 m2 76% for IRC racing (an awful sail).

d) number of headsails
Any ”threshold” or max number to be aware of? 
Today we run J1, J2, J3.5 (heavy weather jib) and staysail.

e) number of downwind sails
Today we run 3 nylon avsys + code = 4

ORR headquartered in Rhode Island...as I believe you use North Sails, I might reach out to their J/111 guy in Rhode Island to see what their recommendations are, or their J/111 guys in each area you are thinking of racing in to see how the local area conditions impact ORR...of course, knowing you, you've already done this :P

https://www.northsails.com/sailing/en/od/j111

Which races are you considering?

We are having some of the same questions here about what is legal in the Chicago Mac--which usually has a one-design configuration with amendments, v. what would be legal under ORR for the Port Huron Mac which typically doesn't have a one-design section.

Headed to the Chicago Boat Show on Saturday...will pick the brains of the Chicago North guys there.

More to come.

Hrothgar

1 hour ago, hrothgar said:

Which races are you considering?

Newport-Bermuda (and the 1-2 race), Chicago-Mac, SF Big Boat Series & Transpac are on the list. No firm plan. 

Blur is not in OD mode (jibs to big, main to small & some minor details), and our primary focus is distance races  & ticking off the big ones.

Naturally, inventory/rating can/will change depending on race, but I'm trying to understand the big picture here - especially on what's not on the table,

• Like 3

On 1/5/2020 at 8:48 AM, Blur said:
We’re evaluating some US races and are trying to understand yet another rating rule (after IRC, ORCi, SRS (Sweden), NOR Rating (Norway) and DH (Denmark).

We like to optimize for max speed/fun and maximizing our already strong light air performance. But also be rated "fairly" and don't cross any magic boundaries :o
We have the possibility to do some configuration based on our inventory and what’s considered smart or overly penalized. 

a) 130 m2 A2 (one-design) vs 155 m2 A2 ”whomper”? 
Are ”oversized” downwind sails penalized, or a smart move in light wind areas?

b) jib 0? 51% half-width tacked w furler 1 m in front of forestay.  42 m2 vs 34 m2 for standard J1.
Depending on rule, can be measured either as a big headsail (without too much penalty) or a small code.
Works well in ORCi but big no-no in IRC.

c) Code half-width sweet spot?
I’ve seen the ”tweener”-articles, but are there any reasoning on a sweet spot between 50-75% on Large Roach Headsails (LRHs)?
We currently race with a 70 m2 55% code under local rules and replace it with a used 80 m2 76% for IRC racing (an awful sail).

d) number of headsails
Today we run J1, J2, J3.5 (heavy weather jib) and staysail.

e) number of downwind sails
Today we run 3 nylon avsys + code = 4

Blur,

If you can wait until after Jan 15, I can get you some answers to some of your questions, but at the very least here's a little bit of info:

Sail Limitations:
image.png.dff83acf4d58d7177d7b0e1260d60d4a.png

Here are the defs of large/small headsail and LRH:

• Large headsails <50% half width to foot ratio are those having an LPG greater than 1.1*J with
a spinnaker half-width equal to or less than 50% of the foot measurement. Sails in this category must
be tacked on the centerline of the boat.

• Large Roach headsails (LRH)>50% LRH MGM/LRH LPG (“Tweener”) are sails having an LPG
greater than 1.1*JLRH (JLRH=Tack point of LRH) (ILRH =highest attachment point of LRH to the
mast, LLRH=the Luff of the LRH) with an LRH MGM greater than 50% of the LRH LPG, but with a
spinnaker half width less than 75% of the foot measurement. Sails in this category must be tacked on
the centerline of the boat and measured as both a spinnaker and a headsail. Sails in this category
must be flown outside any other sails that are set.

• Small headsails, including inner forestaysail’s, are those having an LPG less than or equal to 1.1*J.
Sails in this category must be tacked on the centerline of the boat.

• *Where the largest headsail for which a boat is rated is a Small Headsail, the total number of
headsails allowed shall be the Small Headsail maximum plus two plus a one Large Roach Headsail.

As far as how the rule treats different combinations, I think it's a fair bet to say that ORR will treat sails similarly to ORC, although the VPPs have diverged in technical details signifcantly. I'll be presenting your questions next week to the ORA tech committee and they may have some more information for you.

56 minutes ago, ryley said:

If you can wait until after Jan 15, I can get you some answers to some of your questions, but at the very least here's a little bit of info...

No hurry. We'll spend 2020 in the Med (Rolex Giraglia Cup + Copa del Rey), but it's great to have a long term plan for both the team and the sailmaker. 

Looks like a 55% half-width to foot ratio Code 0 will fit the LHR definition rather nicely. From my understanding, ORR tries to rate any LHR as "fairly" as possible, which makes the choice easier. The J/111 build lot's of apparent speed in light air so the 75% IRC code isn't working very well. 55% have worked very well, and we're fine with the smaller area.

The J0 with 51% is not an LHR (LPG = 1.03*JLRH) but could be a large headsail. But I guess that would increase J to the new tacking point and would affect the rating in a disproportional way. In the ORC VPP,  it doesn't affect upwind speed which is kind of a loophole.

The number of sails seems fine.

Thanks for the useful info!

I know some JBoats have had success in the past by cutting down kites and shortening the sprit length (via a stopper in the pole out line) in the Bermuda Race which is traditionally upwind or a reach. 

I would wait until after this year's Bermuda to go ahead with the J0/LRH discussion. People have been developing sails for it and there will be some new ideas out there, as well as some new tweaks to the formula to accurately rate these LRHs.  I can tell you that it's certainly a fruitful area for development, but that what works depends on the boat and the rating impact. If you've got a J0 design you like (which I know you do) then I think it makes sense to stick with that.

More kites means a higher rating, but there's a note discussion somewhere of what the baseline is. I think it's 3. 

There are some other ORR tricks that I'm not going to post here, suffice to say that like all rules you can benefit from putting in time and money on your optimization.

5 hours ago, jackolantern said:

More kites means a higher rating, but there's a note discussion somewhere of what the baseline is. I think it's 3. 

Under ORR and ORR-ez, the number of kites allowed is 5. Since the rating is essentially based on the largest of each sail, the number of them shouldn't matter much. Otherwise I agree with everything you said.