T sailor

Aerodyne 38

Looking for an Aerodyne 38 - East coast.  Had a contract on one but had to cancel after the surveyed revealed extensive core issues.  There is a nice one listed on YW in the PNW, but that will be well over budget after transport, etc....

hit me up if you know any that may be coming on market soon.

Thanks, pretty sure that is an old listing and that boat sold.  

Would like a Riptide 35 but I think they would be hard to find.  I don't think I have ever seen one listed.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, T sailor said:

Looking for an Aerodyne 38 - East coast.  Had a contract on one but had to cancel after the surveyed revealed extensive core issues.  There is a nice one listed on YW in the PNW, but that will be well over budget after transport, etc....

hit me up if you know any that may be coming on market soon.

Done much rigging work on one in Vancouver, if that is the one you are on about. It has very low miles and has been impeccably maintained. Don't count it out. There aren't many around. canadian dollars too.

Just out of curiosity, and I don't want to call your decision/love for the Aerodyne into question...

Why are you willing to get a design from 200x where you know that at least one hull has core problems, while you could get a, say J/111 from 2011  for not so much different a price? Both seem very comparable to me... Whats so special about the Aerodyne?

Yes of course that makes total sense, certainly there has never been a J-boat with core issues....

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, Matagi said:

Just out of curiosity, and I don't want to call your decision/love for the Aerodyne into question...

Why are you willing to get a design from 200x where you know that at least one hull has core problems, while you could get a, say J/111 from 2011  for not so much different a price? Both seem very comparable to me... Whats so special about the Aerodyne?

Well for one the rudders don't fall off...

A 111 is nice but they are around $160k.  The last 3 Aero sales were between 90 and $120k.  I just done have the extra $40-50k.  Aero also has a more cruiser friendly interior.  

1 hour ago, ASP said:

Well for one the rudders don't fall off...

The 'Hippy" had a rudder (and/or) bearing failure on a 38 delivery back from Kenwood cup (84?)

i looked considered the aerodyne 38  a while back - looked at one.

in researching them, i was told that many had wet core issues.

several of the boats i inquired about had a lot of work done to fix core issues - i never looked at any of those, but i kind of got the feeling that all of them are at risk for this and its a huge job to fix

• Like 1

That is definitely a risk with these.  I really like the design so I am willing to accept SOME of that risk.  Just depends on the boat I suppose.  What did you end up with?  

I thought we were going to buy an A38 back in 2011. Looked hard at two in the Northeast. Found core issues on one. Ended up buying a J/120 for less money and look at me now...  Ha. Well the J/120 has been great for us. Lots of ocean miles, lots of cruising, and more pickle dishes than I expected. 

I do like the lines of the A38 and the downwind speed potential. They generally don’t have great race results though. Not sure exactly why?  Sticky?  Tough to sail?  I don’t know. 

All that said, a well priced A38 that had core issues dealt with well, would be worth a look and then I would go buy a J/111, J/122, or J/120.

Boats are a compromise. Buy the boat that speaks to you and don’t look back. 

38 minutes ago, longy said:

The 'Hippy" had a rudder (and/or) bearing failure on a 38 delivery back from Kenwood cup (84?)

Aerodyne 38?  Those are circa 2000 boats. Long after Kenwood Cup. I believe the only two A38’s to race to Hawaii were Matador (broke the wheel in a wipeout) and Kahuna (lost their rig in sight of Maui).

Thanks Roleur,

The 120 is currently the next best choice.  I've read your blog a bit and am in a similar place to where your were in 2011 and even the 120 I am looking at is similar to what you bought (basic fitout but cheaper than a decent Aero).   The smart choice would be the 120, but the Aero "speaks" to me.  I agree with your assessment on race results.  Seems hit and miss with the Aero, while the J has won its class in just about every race.  I just wish the 120 had more downhill speed. I am also concerned about the headsails on the 120 and not just from a sail handling perspective, but 155 Genoa's are expensive and if  you need a light and heavy, it really adds up.  what are your thoughts on the sail inventory on the 120?  Race courses are A2N, A2B, N2B and maybe a Halifax race.

I was not aware that any Aero's did a Hawaii race aside from Kahuna (didn't realize they lost the rig).   

Matador did Pac Cup soon after launch.  It may have been the first A38 in the states.

In the grand scheme, I can't see the difference in the cost of headsails to be a factor.  The Aero's kites and main are bigger...

A non-overlapping headsail would be nice though and for that the A38 gets the nod, along with a J/111 and J/122.  

If you are thinking Bermuda racing, then all the reaching gives the nod to the J/120 where that 155% looks pretty darn effective, nevermind that the J/120 can still pull a one-design class for N2B.  

Unless you happen on the unicorn boat, you will spend 40-50k getting an aerodyne 38 into racing condition and sailing toits rating. So you need to factor that into the price, when compared to j/120 or j/111.

*thou u could spend that on a j/120 or j/111 easily too...

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Spindrift V said:

Yes of course that makes total sense, certainly there has never been a J-boat with core issues....

TPI boats? Apparently some. J/109? reportedly, rarely, rather fixable. Post-2010 J/111, J/120? I doubt it. The risk seems much lower than choosing the Aerodyne.

I feel like this can turn into a cash-burning operation quickly. But if this is still the design you want, I would certainly ask for a very very hefty reduction in price. 90k USD (as a start!) for a 2000 design where the model has known issues is way too much.

Any cored hull can have issues. The scrimp J boats are less susceptible, but they are not immune to the problem.  

Boats are all cash burning exercises so it's just a matter of finding what works to get it to where you want it.  i am looking at the acquisition budget along with the refit/fitout budget.  

Roleur,

i agree with you on the 120 and reaching.  It is a tough boat to beat with the TWA forward of 90.  What is your inventory for offshore racing?  Does the boat need a CZ and Jibtop?  

If I do go with the 120, I want to get some details from you on your dodger.  I really like it.

23 hours ago, Spindrift V said:

or keel issues....

Ha, our dodger is our "thing".  It's makes us laugh when racing and doing well.  We also race with roller furling and we've been asked if we have warm cookies in the oven during a race.  I keep thinking we should take it off, but it doesn't seem to slow us down, and it is sure is nice when it is raining.  North Sails in Annapolis did the dodger.  The front part is a standard J Boat dodger.  We just asked them to add the extension, which doubles the overhead surface area.  Super bomber and I think it looks better.  Probably doable on a lot of boats.

For a Bermuda race, I think most boats with a sprit need a CZ and jibtop.  Going to Hawaii is similar.  Aside from those, the CZ and jibtop aren't nearly as useful.  We have a CZ and find the range is so narrow that we rarely fly it for more than a few minutes in our local random leg races.  Now that I have it, I would much rather have an A1.5 for very light air reaching.  We don't have a jibtop yet, but it is on the list and since it will see very little use, the materials will be less than our standard jibs.  

1 hour ago, Roleur said:

For a Bermuda race, I think most boats with a sprit need a CZ and jibtop

i think that the CZ overpowers a 120 pretty easily for typical bermuda conditions and it can be somewhat difficult for an average amateur helmsman to drive the boat well with that sail in waves and wind.

the JT is a great sail for the 120.., 

in theory.., with the big headsail, the 120 is not a candidate for the LRH.., but i think we don't really know yet 

4 hours ago, cbulger said:

Quest 33 - Better built Martin design - little smaller - better racer

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1998/holby-quest-33-3586547/

Sailed many races against a local Aerodyne 38 and a local Quest 30.

Both very well-sailed boats, and both took their share of silver, but we were more consistently battling with the Quest - it was a bigger threat and more consistently on the podium.

If I had to pick between the two I'd take the Quest.

a Holby build would be nice, but the Quest is a little too small for our program.  J120 is the next best thing I think.