Sign in to follow this  
JBoater

J80 Outboard Mod from Hitting Rudder

I have seen some posts of people mentioning adding rubber to their J80 Outboard to keep it from hitting the rudder.  Does anyone have a picture of something similar?  I don't want to add an additional bracket for the outboard.  Fyi, currently using a honda 5hp 4 stroke long shaft.

This seems excessive.  I only steer with the rudder and do not turn the outboard, but I've never had an issue hitting the outboard with the rudder, either.  I guess you could it you pushed the helm far enough over, but in all my years of sailing J80's, this has not been a problem.

Take 1/2 of a Dolfin outboard stabilizer tab and bolt it on. Other easy ways to not gnarl the rudder is can't the outboard away from the centerline when you clamp it on. Only works in light air or you will cavitate,

00AF4C3C-7503-4B8B-9AEF-0403460C0532.jpeg

23 hours ago, Stiffler's Mom said:

Take 1/2 of a Dolfin outboard stabilizer tab and bolt it on. Other easy ways to not gnarl the rudder is can't the outboard away from the centerline when you clamp it on. Only works in light air or you will cavitate,

00AF4C3C-7503-4B8B-9AEF-0403460C0532.jpeg

This 

we just put a ring around it from aluminium. attached it with rivets to the fins of the engine tail

Easy hack is to mount motor at a tilt - set the outboard clamp higher, or wedge something in there.  Only need to raise it maybe 1/2" or so to ensure clearance.  Does the trick.

I just made up this bracket with a piece of aluminum I had on hand.  Should do the trick.  A little added security.  I did not want to drill any additional holes hence using the anode holes on the far side.20200123_162321.thumb.jpg.dc19dfc22f5d61670fdbe3b59c1c699b.jpg

On 1/24/2020 at 12:08 AM, JBoater said:

I just made up this bracket with a piece of aluminum I had on hand.  Should do the trick.  A little added security.  I did not want to drill any additional holes hence using the anode holes on the far side.20200123_162321.thumb.jpg.dc19dfc22f5d61670fdbe3b59c1c699b.jpg

I did this but added a piece of automotive cardoor rubber molding to not have the aluminimum edge hit the rudder.

My 11 year old is the designated driver in harbors and i would not want him to feel bad about damaging the rudder.