Dorado

The 2020 Motorcycle Thread

Out with the old. In with the new ( to me).

Kawasaki Versys 1000

20200108_134200-1638x1229.jpg

I will be contributing to this thread more in the near future. I am moving on from my trusty CBR soon and am trying to figure out what is next. My days of reckless knee dragging are behind me (something about: Ow, that hurts!!!), as are my days of heavy touring on a race replica (yes, I was that guy zooming up the mountains of Colorado with Cali plates and soft luggage) because at my age, after a hundred or so miles tucked in like that: Ow, that hurts!!!!!! This was my 4th Honda sports (RR) bike. 2 pics attached - touring on a 954 and knee dragging a 929 (no cool pics of my 1000 sadly). So the next bike will be more focused on comfort as well as performance.....with a heavy emphasis on comfort (you know something with a seat not made of broken glass and nails, and a riding position not intended for miniature contortionist jockeys...). 

Congrats on the new Steed. I have hear nothing but good stuff about that bike and actually have it on my short list. I am also seriously considering a used BMW S1000XR.  A friend has one and when I rode it, I fell in love with pretty much everything (except for the BMW (($$$$)) part). I tried the big BMW GS for a few months (borrowed one from a buddy) but I really missed the HP so that is off the list.

Question: Did you get the side panniers or just sticking with the tail case? I ask because in addition to 2 or 3 (200 mile plus) weekend canyon/mountain days, I still enjoy the touring part.

Let me know when you put some real miles on it. I will be very curious as to your thoughts as again, that bike is on my short list (which weirdly enough is pretty long - but I like bikes)... :)

Keep he rubber side down and best wishes with the new ride!

Bike1.jpg

Bike2.jpg

Question: Did you get the side panniers or just sticking with the tail case? I ask because in addition to 2 or 3 (200 mile plus) weekend canyon/mountain days, I still enjoy the touring part.

Yup, they come stock with the V1000. Just don't use them if I don't need them. Easy on and off.

Ergos are great on this bike for us distinguished gentlemens. I'm 6'4" so I put on Rox Risers and lowered the pegs and use an airhawk with extra firm foam on the seat to expand the rider triangle. Should be fine for a guy who fits on a CBR. Smoooooooooth power delivery and fairly quick. Not S1000XR quick, but still "throw yer hooligan ass in jail" quick. I had my ass handed to me by a guy on a KTM 1290 but he had to turn his fun meter up to 11 to do it. Crazy fuck he was. Not dignified like me.

I had a '12 GS camhead for a few years before this and I definitely like this better. No worries about final drive or other $$$$ bits failing exploding in the back of my mind.

That's some damn stylish knee draggin' form, by the way ! B)

I'm at least 4 or 5 months away from even considering riding around here. However when we get back from CR just might take a trip to the desert.

In the meantime here's my first ride.

i-DHnsT6H-XL.jpg

B.  Have you had more fun on any subsequent bike than you had on this one? I'd have killed for one of those when I was a kid.

Sir Dorado.....going to test ride your new steed in next couple of weeks and will report. Thanks so much for the reply (can't wait to have hard bags.......hp........and cornering...and a comfy seat, and comfy riding position, and etc etc etc......)....

Walter Mitty on any Sunday.

image.png.575cad24462f3d2be38cbbb7a1033716.png

Seems a bit harsh, but yeah we all thought we were TT stuff when we were young. So this may interest you.

My first track day: The program I went into forced all new track day riders into "Group 1" (1: no.passing in turns, 2 only pass on outside, 3 open....) but as we were new to this program, and in Group 1, they made us wear special "I am new" green tshirts over our leathers. And they made us have training/talking sessions after each ride (20 minute sessions so we rode 20 minutes every 60 mins). As the day went on, I felt my track skills really improving.......a lot. Well, the instructors assigned to our newbie group were awesome, but they were also pro racers.

So later day I nail a g section over and over (and every 2 mins you hit the same turn((s)))). And as I lean in for the big knee draggin left turn, this pro racer guy comes in hard to my left, and as he passes me on the inside, he takes his left hand and scraps the grass on the ground and then guns it with one hand into the next right.........I was humbled.

I will never, ever think I am a great rider. Just lucky that for a few years in my life, I got to do some really cool shit on a bike.......

46 minutes ago, sadug said:

Sir Dorado.....going to test ride your new steed in next couple of weeks and will report. Thanks so much for the reply (can't wait to have hard bags.......hp........and cornering...and a comfy seat, and comfy riding position, and etc etc etc......)....

Are you looking at a new one? They took a $5K jump in price for   2019. 

Mine is a 2016. 118 hp. Can loaf around at 3-4k rpm all day or howl like a wolf at 8k. 6th gear at 4k is 66 mph indicated. Minus the bags, it's probably good for 130 ish with a moderately sized lunatic on it. Plenty for a big old fart like me.

Puig windscreen good. Stock windscreen no good. Years 15-18. Don't know about 19-20

33 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

Walter Mitty on any Sunday.

image.png.575cad24462f3d2be38cbbb7a1033716.png

Them's mad skillz, Sloop.

Can you do that?

Pics or . . .

Used for sure. I have always had 1 rule on bikes (not being a collector that is). They are toys.....(that is just me....I do not have a long commute for work). That said, easier to get a test ride from a dealer (even if it is the 'newer' bike).

23 minutes ago, Dorado said:

Them's mad skillz, Sloop.

Can you do that?

Pics or . . .

I rode dirt - 45 years ago - you may remember - before colour film?

I see the boy racers doing that crap all the time on the Sea to Sky highway near my house. Most of it is just laughable - sliding over on the seat and sticking a knee out when the bike is at about a 10 degree angle.

They are also usually the ones that get picked up with shovels.

That's purely a track thing, not ever appropriate and seldom even real on the street.

They rode across your lawn, didn't they  ?

A lot of the boy racers around here are in their 60s.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Dorado said:

B.  Have you had more fun on any subsequent bike than you had on this one? I'd have killed for one of those when I was a kid.

No, it was my uncle's and he let me ride it all over the place.

Although this brings a smile to my face.

i-vzPVZPz-L.jpg

Looks nothing like that now.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Dorado said:

They rode across your lawn, didn't they  ?

A lot of the boy racers around here are in their 60s.

Old farts ride Harleys around here.

My last bike. It was some hot shit back then.

image.png.199dc0ec94bce87dfe8aa7bf5de23e5d.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SloopJonB said:

Old farts ride Harleys around here.

My last bike. It was some hot shit back then.

image.png.199dc0ec94bce87dfe8aa7bf5de23e5d.png

It's still some hot shit - great looking bike...

On 1/8/2020 at 3:48 PM, Dorado said:

Out with the old. In with the new ( to me).

Kawasaki Versys 1000

20200108_134200-1638x1229.jpg

not bad,  how's that rear trunk behave at high speeds?  

Ha, my bike is a 1972 Honda CB 750. It's brown and the brakes are just a suggestion. Once it's warmed up, it's fun to kick start it in front of the badass Harley riders.

4 carbs, just won't stall. It's ugly and gets bad mileage.

5 hours ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

not bad,  how's that rear trunk behave at high speeds?  

Well being a upstanding law abiding citizen, I wouldn't know anything about that. But my uncle's sister's son didn't notice any issues at 110 mph -_-

9 hours ago, austin1972 said:

Ha, my bike is a 1972 Honda CB 750. It's brown and the brakes are just a suggestion. Once it's warmed up, it's fun to kick start it in front of the badass Harley riders.

kind of weird that you ride a bike just hoping to impress guys on Harleys :)

BTW love the old CB Hondas. I have had a few. now and than I do a search for one on craigslist, would love to build a cafe racer.

10 hours ago, austin1972 said:

:D

8 hours ago, Dorado said:

Well being a upstanding law abiding citizen, I wouldn't know anything about that. But my uncle's sister's son didn't notice any issues at 110 mph -_-

There was a time on a Sunday morning with the freeway almost deserted.  When I saw the police car with a radar gun, I laughed.  I will be in the next county.  And then I saw a line of them lined up.  I promptly pulled over, took my ticket and kept my mouth shut.

Later, in court, I explained to the prosecutor that I was representing the biggest dumb ass I had ever met. Me. 

• Like 1

On 1/8/2020 at 11:14 PM, SloopJonB said:

I rode dirt - 45 years ago - you may remember - before colour film?

I see the boy racers doing that crap all the time on the Sea to Sky highway near my house. Most of it is just laughable - sliding over on the seat and sticking a knee out when the bike is at about a 10 degree angle.

They are also usually the ones that get picked up with shovels.

That's purely a track thing, not ever appropriate and seldom even real on the street.

The knee out thing improves your control and feel over the moment of inertia. On a road bike (bicycle) descending turn where you need to brake it also helps slow you down. A lot of people see the knee out as a silly affectation, but I think it works.

50 minutes ago, lasal said:

For 2020 behold the Sur Ron Bee:

699780127_ScreenShot2020-01-10at9_56_13AM.png.56312980335309568abf361900c1cdf4.png

Freakin' anti gravity machine.

33 minutes ago, lasal said:

The knee out thing improves your control and feel over the moment of inertia. On a road bike (bicycle) descending turn where you need to brake it also helps slow you down. A lot of people see the knee out as a silly affectation, but I think it works.

I'm well aware of what it's about on the track at warp speed. Same for sliding over and down the side of the bike.

When you are riding on the highway at little over the speed limit it is a silly affectation by Walter Mitty boy racers..

45 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

Freakin' anti gravity machine.

Different bikes. But the Sur Ron does look like a trials bike. It's just a tiny electric moto for cheap. It apparently is a good performer however.

43 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

I'm well aware of what it's about on the track at warp speed. Same for sliding over and down the side of the bike.

When you are riding on the highway at little over the speed limit it is a silly affectation by Walter Mitty boy racers..

It's not about tracks at warp speed only. That's the point. Around sharp corners it makes a big difference even just a little over the speed limit. I recall that you drive a Range Rover, so you probably wish you could kick a knee out the door to keep that thing from sliding off the road! :)

Tail cases are really nice - handy for commuting duty (don't add width) and very VERY useful when on the road touring.  You don't want to put much weight that far back or high up,  but having SPACE - for a sandwich,  sweatshirt, spare gloves, etc - is a freakin' luxury. 

IMG_3771.JPG

My daily-drivers,   similar yet different.  2005 BMW R1200GS and 2014 Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom

Great comfort,  very usable power, dead-stable in all situations I've put them through thus far and fast enough for me.

Really like the traction control and slipper clutch on the 'Strom - darn handy, those.  

20191205_180547.jpg

20191208_101500.jpg

When my wife and I head out the case is on her tail, sort of.

i-HZ3NjR6-XL.jpg

Yamaha history : 70's FS1 (Fizzy) - 1981 SR250SE - 1984 XJ-650 - 1983 XT-250 - 1989 FJ-1200 (3CV)

I had the XJ-650 from new and kept that for 25 years but always mad about the FJ-1200.  I acquired my 1989 FJ-1200 (3CV) from ebay and it was as sweet as (luckily). Drove it for 4 years and put 30K miles on top of the 50K miles it already had and sold it for more that I paid for.

A few months ago enter 1993 FJ-1200 (3XW) ABS with only 16K miles on the clock.:wub:

WP_20190915_14_19_00_Pro.jpg

• Like 1

CES in Vegas.

200 Mile range is getting better but a typical Saturday ride for me is right around 200 miles. 

Anyone ridden anything like this? 

eBike1.jpg

eBike2.jpg

3 minutes ago, Laser1 said:

Yamaha history : 70's FS1 (Fizzy) - 1981 SR250SE - 1984 XJ-650 - 1983 XT-250 - 1989 FJ-1200 (3CV)

I had the XJ-650 from new and kept that for 25 years but always mad about the FJ-1200.  I acquired my 1989 FJ-1200 (3CV) from ebay and it was as sweet as (luckily). Drove it for 4 years and put 30K miles on top of the 50K miles it already had and sold it for more that I paid for.

A few months ago enter 1993 FJ-1200 (3XW) ABS with only 16K miles on the clock.:wub:

Rockstar!!!!! Man that is clean................... 

2 hours ago, lasal said:

It's not about tracks at warp speed only. That's the point. Around sharp corners it makes a big difference even just a little over the speed limit. I recall that you drive a Range Rover, so you probably wish you could kick a knee out the door to keep that thing from sliding off the road! :)

Nope - they're getting a bit graunchy for that.

If I want to corner fast I drive the XJR.

1 hour ago, Great Red Shark said:

20191208_101500.jpg

Shouldn't that be in the Zombie airplane thread?

48 minutes ago, Laser1 said:

nice looking bike.  what i don't like about a lot of modern bikes is that they are completely given over to "form follows function" with no consideration to, for lack of a better word. "looks".  i'm sure that the nose fairing that sharpens to a needle and the resulting "angry insect" appearance and the rear of the seat that shoots out and up with only the vestigal fender down right over the rear tire tests well in the wind tunnel but frankly it "looks" stupid...to me.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, austin1972 said:

old honda's are hard to kill     1982 V45 Magna,  bought new in '84...   still in the backyard..

DSC08535c.JPG

do you know what's fun,  getting those 4 carbs out of there...

DSC09257r.JPG

47 minutes ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

old honda's are hard to kill     1982 V45 Magna,  bought new in '84...   still in the backyard..

do you know what's fun,  getting those 4 carbs out of there...

DSC09257r.JPG

Yeah I had to replace the rubber bootie thingies on the carbs. Much swearing was involved. But heck, the bike was $1,700 with 19K on the Odo so why not?
I've also got a 2004 Foreman 500 quad that I bought new and gets abused daily on the farm (24K on that) and a 2003 Reflex 250 with ABS. I like Honda machines, I guess.

Taking this for a Test ride on Sunday 

635811C9-7338-470A-BA0A-5CE04F4093BF.thumb.jpeg.dd3608b7f1450d7eb1561227fcad7852.jpeg

My buddy works at the Triumph dealership here in NY 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, dacapo said:

635811C9-7338-470A-BA0A-5CE04F4093BF.thumb.jpeg.dd3608b7f1450d7eb1561227fcad7852.jpeg

Lovely bike but tight ergos for an older guy. 45 minutes and you're the Hunchback of Notre Dame.

Try a Tiger 800 (or new 900 if they have one yet?). Love the triple in that bike.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

Shouldn't that be in the Zombie airplane thread?

Pssshaw,   just needs a little clean-up - it'll buff right out!

One of my favorites (when it wasn't trying to catch on fire) and one of the faster bikes I've owned - although not the easiest to RIDE fast - but you gotta love how the Italians do style.   Aprilia RST1000 the "Futura"   (which all my buds called the "Futurama")

014.JPG

I am looking forward to checking out the new Harley Livewire. 

E9501792-BBD2-458C-8BCF-DEE82ADEF926.jpeg

1 hour ago, Dorado said:

Lovely bike but tight ergos for an older guy. 45 minutes and you're the Hunchback of Notre Dame.

Try a Tiger 800 (or new 900 if they have one yet?). Love the triple in that bike.

Mid  life crisis B)

14 hours ago, avenger79 said:

BTW love the old CB Hondas. I have had a few. now and than I do a search for one on craigslist, would love to build a cafe racer.

The CB750 was the best all-around bike I've ever had. It didn't do any one thing best-of, but it did everything very well.

And I took a little CB450T from SF to NYC. She wasn't happy with all that wind in Kansas, but otherwise great. And now I'm riding a little TW200 in the cold, and for some reason, really happy about that.

Be warned about this video, hard to turn off once you see what he does ...

• Like 2

2 hours ago, mikewof said:

And I took a little CB450T from SF to NYC.

I remember when a 450 was a pretty big bike. :D

2 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

I remember when a 450 was a pretty big bike. :D

Yeah. And even now, it's still about 200cc bigger than I want on the trail.

3 hours ago, mikewof said:

Yeah. And even now, it's still about 200cc bigger than I want on the trail.

In the group I ride with mine is the smallest engine at 350. Even the 130 pound girl rides a 500, and kicks ass on it. That extra oomph in the throttle of a 4t can get you out of a bad situation pretty easily.

Modern motos ain't your dad's 2t 250!

18 hours ago, dacapo said:

Shoude be doeng that todaye!                                           :)

Sunday
Showers likely and possibly a thunderstorm before 9am, then a chance of showers between 9am and noon. Patchy fog before 9am. Otherwise, cloudy through mid morning, then gradual clearing, with a high near 64. Breezy, with a south wind 15 to 25 mph becoming west in the afternoon. Winds could gust as high as 37 mph. Chance of precipitation is 70%. New precipitation amounts between a tenth and quarter of an inch, except higher amounts possible in thunderstorms.

On 1/10/2020 at 7:54 AM, avenger79 said:

I've got an '82 CB 650 that I'm mid way through turning into a cafe'. The hope is to wrap it up this Spring.  I started to convert it into a cafe/enduro type crossover with fatter tires.

• Like 1

On 1/10/2020 at 10:16 AM, lasal said:

Agreed...the lessons I learned on a motorcycle helped me with my mountain and road bicycle riding.  Looking where you want to go...etc.

6 hours ago, bmiller said:

In the group I ride with mine is the smallest engine at 350. Even the 130 pound girl rides a 500, and kicks ass on it. That extra oomph in the throttle of a 4t can get you out of a bad situation pretty easily.

Modern motos ain't your dad's 2t 250!

Not for me, my ideal bike would be a KTM 125SX, shove a Baja kit and a plate on it to make it street legal. Go anywhere, kind of a trials bike with a seat. Gotta find $8k laying around though.

When I have a bigger bike, I tend to wuss out and look for an easier line.

Anyway, you're very fortunate to have a KTM. 

59 minutes ago, mikewof said:

Not for me, my ideal bike would be a KTM 125SX, shove a Baja kit and a plate on it to make it street legal. Go anywhere, kind of a trials bike with a seat. Gotta find $8k laying around though.

When I have a bigger bike, I tend to wuss out and look for an easier line.

Anyway, you're very fortunate to have a KTM. 

If you're 20something and racing motocross that's just fine.

For the type of riding we do give me a big 4 stroke and an auto clutch anytime.

No gas for over 20,000 miles, my second Zero, massive torque! 0-60 in 3.2. bye bye literbikes.

2000000001.jpg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, bmiller said:

If you're 20something and racing motocross that's just fine.

For the type of riding we do give me a big 4 stroke and an auto clutch anytime.

It just depends on how you like to ride.

I like to get off the trail and bash through stuff, pick my way across boulders, jump stuff. You're right that the fat girls can sometimes dance really well and they're definitely more comfortable, but a good 125 stroke is less than 200 lbs. wet, 6-speed, keep the 2-strokes in the power band and they run like raped apes.

Unfortunately they need a lot of maintenance, and an old one is nearly worthless. But the feeling of riding a 2-stroke in the dirt is sex, and on the street it's pure hooligan.

Why the auto-clutch?

28 minutes ago, PL3 said:

No gas for over 20,000 miles, my second Zero, massive torque! 0-60 in 3.2. bye bye literbikes.

2000000001.jpg

Those are heavy, but man oh man, I could ride one through the open space at dusk or dawn and nobody would even know, they're so quiet. Pure hooligan.

30 minutes ago, mikewof said:

It just depends on how you like to ride.

I like to get off the trail and bash through stuff, pick my way across boulders, jump stuff. You're right that the fat girls can sometimes dance really well and they're definitely more comfortable, but a good 125 stroke is less than 200 lbs. wet, 6-speed, keep the 2-strokes in the power band and they run like raped apes.

Unfortunately they need a lot of maintenance, and an old one is nearly worthless. But the feeling of riding a 2-stroke in the dirt is sex, and on the street it's pure hooligan.

Why the auto-clutch?

26 minutes ago, mikewof said:

Those are heavy, but man oh man, I could ride one through the open space at dusk or dawn and nobody would even know, they're so quiet. Pure hooligan.

I think we've had this discussion before. 

Riding off trail in Colorado is an incredibly asinine and selfish behavior. It leads to destruction of the fragile alpine ground cover which results in more and more public land being closed to motorized travel. Pretty much its rednecks from the south on a 4wheeler but on occasion I do see a bike going off trail. You can bet your ass they hear it from me or the crew I ride with when encountering those Jack wagons. 

If you ride off trail you wouldn't be welcome to ride with us. And I'd be the first guy to rat you out to the nearst sheriff or ranger. Especially if you go ripping up an open space near Golden. It ain't yours to fuck up.

Examp,e 1Example 2

Off my soapbox now.

Auto clutch means never stalling your bike.

You guys are making an old man get teared up.....I need to get my old BMW R100GS operational again.

Not the BMW...a Buell back when I didn't care about getting busted up (6 years ago).

roebling1.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bridhb said:

You guys are making an old man get teared up.....I need to get my old BMW R100GS operational again.

Not the BMW...a Buell back when I didn't care about getting busted up (6 years ago).

roebling1.jpg

i'd rebuilt my bike twice...  first time just to get running again, the second time to get running and tricked out..  i was just short of finishing , all i had to do was pull the tank , fix a couple of small dents and repaint, then within a space of a month , i had two people cut me off forcing me to drop the bike.. i rode it as a rat bike for two more years after that and one day it wasn't running right, so it's been parked ever since.. i don't have the heart to do it a third time...  if i got a bike now, it'd have to have traction control and linked abs brakes, the types of things that'll save your ass around here..

After minibikes, I bought a 350 Honda from a wife who took if from her husband in divorce.  Great bike.

Later, I drove a 1965 Triumph to Atlanta.  I have a very personal relationship with Lucas electronics.

Still later I had Goldwing for a commuter.

Took a break from street bikes to get the kids grown.

Then a sportster, an electroglide and a street glide.

Off roading with my son and daughter was a lot of fun.  I'm glad he's sold his current bike to focus on my granddaughter.

3 hours ago, PL3 said:

2000000001.jpg

very nice bike

but

The Versys 1000 0-60 time is 3.1

2015 BMW 1200 is 2.9

11 minutes ago, Dorado said:

very nice bike

but

The Versys 1000 0-60 time is 3.1

2015 BMW 1200 is 2.9

And you can go more than 100 miles on a tank, without charging for an hour.

But I think they are really cool, I want one.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, bmiller said:

And you can go more than 100 miles on a tank, without charging for an hour.

But I think they are really cool, I want one.

Oh Hell yes. If we ever see a real breakthrough in battery tech in our lifetimes, we'll all be riding E-bikes

That Zero would blow the doors off everything if it had real smart traction control tech. Otherwise it's just gonna turn tires into smoke. 

PL3, Does yours have that Bosch MSC system ?

3 hours ago, bridhb said:

my old BMW R100GS 

I had an 89.  Loved it.  I just wish that the guy who bought it didn't live so close. 

IMAG0134.jpg

40 minutes ago, Leeroy Jenkins said:

I had an 89.  Loved it.  I just wish that the guy who bought it didn't live so close. 

IMAG0134.jpg

Understand your pain......

On 1/8/2020 at 6:39 PM, bmiller said:

I'm at least 4 or 5 months away from even considering riding around here. However when we get back from CR just might take a trip to the desert.

In the meantime here's my first ride.

i-DHnsT6H-XL.jpg

.....and you were King riding off on it(Honda 90 trail?). First bikes are always "first freedom":D

Suzuki TC 90 (HI/LO 4speed) was my first......

4 hours ago, bmiller said:

I think we've had this discussion before. 

Riding off trail in Colorado is an incredibly asinine and selfish behavior. It leads to destruction of the fragile alpine ground cover which results in more and more public land being closed to motorized travel. Pretty much its rednecks from the south on a 4wheeler but on occasion I do see a bike going off trail. You can bet your ass they hear it from me or the crew I ride with when encountering those Jack wagons. 

If you ride off trail you wouldn't be welcome to ride with us. And I'd be the first guy to rat you out to the nearst sheriff or ranger. Especially if you go ripping up an open space near Golden. It ain't yours to fuck up.

Examp,e 1Example 2

Off my soapbox now.

Auto clutch means never stalling your bike.

I agree with you to not rip up the ground. But riding off-trail isn't always a problem like you suggest, it's the reason why I like a low-displacement bike. I can ride across scree and boulders and not disturb anything other than my own joints. And you're ignoring all that great riding in places that are already trashed, like industrial waste areas, broken concrete, open pit mines, slag heaps, forgotten tailings piles at the end of long mining roads. I can't ride any of those things on a bike much bigger than about a 200.

Riding off trail in Colorado is not asinine or selfish if the bike is nowhere near sensitive ground. If you only ride the beautiful groomed trails in National Forest, but not the industrial wastelands in BLM land, then I think you're really missing out.

Far more trail damage comes from hikers taking on muddy ground, or worse, horses that rip trails apart, shit all over the place which then draws in lots of mice, which then draw in the coyotes. And really good walking or running paths are routinely trashed by mountain bikers who turn functionally flat narrow trails into v-grooved trails that are nearly impossible to comfortably hike or run unless you like to put one foot exactly in front of the other.

And dirt-bikes are lightweights at trail damage for OHVs, compared to those side-by-sides and lifted Jeeps and trucks ... those machines can turn a good trail into a double-gutted piece of shit that is essentially unusable by anything other than side-by-sides, lifted Jeeps and trucks. I can barely ride my sled on those roads, they suck.

And I don't ride Open Space. That's a real sore spot with me. I grew up riding enduro on the  same lands to which we are now not allowed to touch. We built those trails, and now they have been commandeered by mountain cyclists from Pennsylvania who bitch and moan about the hikers. It's not mine to fuck up? How did it become their's to fuck up?

On 1/10/2020 at 8:54 AM, avenger79 said:

I have a (maybe unwarranted) deaire for CB cafe project with the "ComCast" riveted rims. Should I seek counseling?

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Leeroy Jenkins said:

IMAG0134.jpg

That's the worst. You're having a good day, all is well, and then you see your old love, with a few small changes from the new owner. The rest of the day is spent in regret at having sold her.

10 minutes ago, mikewof said:

That's the worst. You're having a good day, all is well, and then you see your old love, with a few small changes from the new owner. The rest of the day is spent in regret at having sold her.

Yes.  And he paid my asking price too.  

2 hours ago, mikewof said:

It's even worse when she's an old girlfriend, not just a bike.

7 hours ago, mikewof said:

I agree with you to not rip up the ground. But riding off-trail isn't always a problem like you suggest, it's the reason why I like a low-displacement bike. I can ride across scree and boulders and not disturb anything other than my own joints. And you're ignoring all that great riding in places that are already trashed, like industrial waste areas, broken concrete, open pit mines, slag heaps, forgotten tailings piles at the end of long mining roads. I can't ride any of those things on a bike much bigger than about a 200.

Riding off trail in Colorado is not asinine or selfish if the bike is nowhere near sensitive ground. If you only ride the beautiful groomed trails in National Forest, but not the industrial wastelands in BLM land, then I think you're really missing out.

Far more trail damage comes from hikers taking on muddy ground, or worse, horses that rip trails apart, shit all over the place which then draws in lots of mice, which then draw in the coyotes. And really good walking or running paths are routinely trashed by mountain bikers who turn functionally flat narrow trails into v-grooved trails that are nearly impossible to comfortably hike or run unless you like to put one foot exactly in front of the other.

And dirt-bikes are lightweights at trail damage for OHVs, compared to those side-by-sides and lifted Jeeps and trucks ... those machines can turn a good trail into a double-gutted piece of shit that is essentially unusable by anything other than side-by-sides, lifted Jeeps and trucks. I can barely ride my sled on those roads, they suck.

And I don't ride Open Space. That's a real sore spot with me. I grew up riding enduro on the  same lands to which we are now not allowed to touch. We built those trails, and now they have been commandeered by mountain cyclists from Pennsylvania who bitch and moan about the hikers. It's not mine to fuck up? How did it become their's to fuck up?

I don't disagree with a lot of what you wrote, this is just a pretty sensitive topic around here. More and more users demanding more and more from a limited resource. 

Maybe I misread but when you wrote this I assumed the worst:

12 hours ago, mikewof said:

Those are heavy, but man oh man, I could ride one through the open space at dusk or dawn and nobody would even know, they're so quiet. Pure hooligan

4 hours ago, bmiller said:

I don't disagree with a lot of what you wrote, this is just a pretty sensitive topic around here. More and more users demanding more and more from a limited resource. 

Maybe I misread but when you wrote this I assumed the worst:

12 hours ago, mikewof said:

Those are heavy, but man oh man, I could ride one through the open space at dusk or dawn and nobody would even know, they're so quiet. Pure hooligan

Ah, an electric bike. Have you seen the legality change of those in Open Space?

https://www.jeffco.us/3618/e-bikes

So now a thin-tire electric bike is allowed to grind trails to shit, while a fat tire electric bike is not, even though the latter makes less damage than the former, and horses do more damage than both.

Yeah, I would love to protest that dumb arsed rule with some throttle. If I can't ride it, then they shouldn't be allowed to ride it. I've never done it, I'm pretty sure that l never will, but I would like to do it.

I'm not even allowed to ride my Snakeboard or longboard on a paved road in this state. But I do it all the time because I disagree with the rationale of that law.

Real estate interests have taken over the laws of this state and they often have no idea what they're doing, but their corruption is on par with any past industry. And cyclists and horse riders in the Open Space often embody that corruption, in my opinion.

Should we even be allowed to ride any wheeled vehicles or steel-shoed animals in National Forest? Why is that even allowed? I would be okay with making all of it illegal. I have grown to really hate hearing vehicles buzz around me in Routt and Roosevelt, and I'm tired of the horse shit and the dog shit too ... It's not like deer shit and moose shit. These dogs and horses essentially eat human food, and they essentially shit human shits.

I am signed up for a moto bicycle race referee class next month. I moto supported Levi's Gran Fondo, 2800 riders back in Oct and I guess I passed the good ole boys test (CHP and other LEO bike retirees are the vast majority of the moto refs) cause they made sure I got hooked into the classes etc. Hard core slow riding skills and 360 degree sit awareness needed. Try essentially idling a 650lb BMW RT up an 18% grade on a road with no shoulders about 30 feet wide surrounded by out of the saddle hammering riders on the edge. Can't go faster, can't go slower, and cant ride anywhere but 6" from the left end of roadway. Trial by fire baby! One perk is no centerline or speed rules for the guys in the "band". I rode back to the south bay from Santa Rosa with a long time moto cop and then moto support guy. Never stuck his leg out, followed every rule of the road except the speed rules but even then never faster than the flow of traffic etc. Learned a ton. In the twisties on a big GS BMW moving his body was not necessary in the try for sure. Super smooth and fast.

Oh by the way, want to test your slow speed and tight quarters skills then split lanes north bound during evening rush our on 19th ave through San Francisco and onto the Golden Gate Bridge on a big bike (I left the side bags at home, did topcase and backpack). Will save you 20 minutes or more but you may need to wash your drawers! I can't even commute with the side cases on the bike anymore. I would be a menace bumping peoples vehicles.

On 1/10/2020 at 5:28 PM, dreadom said:

I am looking forward to checking out the new Harley Livewire. 

E9501792-BBD2-458C-8BCF-DEE82ADEF926.jpeg

I was able to sit on one at last year's rally but missed the demo rides. 

it has some heft to it. seemed fairly comfortable sitting still anyway

• Like 1

On 1/11/2020 at 9:05 PM, warbird said:

I have a (maybe unwarranted) deaire for CB cafe project with the "ComCast" riveted rims. Should I seek counseling?

What are the ComCast riveted rims?  Here are the rims on my CB Cafe' project.  I had them powder coated to match the ski brand that I was pushing at the time. Now I'm thinking about a color change...

IMG_5279-2 copy.jpg

IMG_4050 copy.jpg

Comcast is a cable TV outfit.   Honda sold the early non-laced wheels as "COM-Star" wheels.  Just the thing for your 1979 TwinStar or CX500 Silverwing!

What most people really miss about that is right up until about the mid-80s motorcycle tires were lightyears behind auto tire technology,  what with them still largely mounted on spoked wheels and using inner tubes - no radials at all - they just sucked. 

8 hours ago, WCB said:

What are the ComCast riveted rims?  Here are the rims on my CB Cafe' project.  I had them powder coated to match the ski brand that I was pushing at the time. Now I'm thinking about a color change...

IMG_5279-2 copy.jpg

IMG_4050 copy.jpg

Apparently my wheels are Com-Star wheels. Too funny....I had no idea. 

15 hours ago, Great Red Shark said:

Comcast is a cable TV outfit.   Honda sold the early non-laced wheels as "COM-Star" wheels.  Just the thing for your 1979 TwinStar or CX500 Silverwing!

What most people really miss about that is right up until about the mid-80s motorcycle tires were lightyears behind auto tire technology,  what with them still largely mounted on spoked wheels and using inner tubes - no radials at all - they just sucked. 

I stand corrected. I hated the Com Star wheel when it came out. Now I see a retro beauty in them. The CX was an interesting bike. Push rods and 10000 rpm in the CX650(?). I generally spooned on K391s IIRC, one of the better sport tires of the 80s.

Yeah,  and we all thought Dunlop "Qualifiers" were good then - times,  thankfully - have changed.   Modern tires are SO much better it is hard to explain to anyone that hadn't used them.

As for "Com-Star" well - when you are a motorcycle-obessed teenager absorbing every iota of the industry's advertising of the day,  it was a big move - they (monolithic wheels) had existed before,  but suddenly in about '78 or so they were now "Good enough for Honda" and boom - the era of tubeless motorcycle tires in the mainstream began.

As for the CX - I had a boss with one (who was scared shitless of it, coming off a small trailbike) - at the time I had a big ol' Suzuki GT380 (slightly lighter than a bank vault) and had no issues whipping it about the parking lot - "It's just fine - that 'top-heavy' thing is all in your head,  handles perfectly well."   - but he never did really get on with it.  It was more than a bit ponderous,  but I've always like Moto Guzzis,  so...

1 hour ago, Great Red Shark said:

Yeah,  and we all thought Dunlop "Qualifiers" were good then - times,  thankfully - have changed.   Modern tires are SO much better it is hard to explain to anyone that hadn't used them.

That is the reason I have long felt sorry for tire engineers. They are the Rodney Dangerfields of the vehicle world - they don't get no respect.

The improvements made in tire tech from the days of bias plys is nothing short of remarkable. Probably no other tech has been improved so much yet to all but hard core enthusiasts tires are just round black things that are just an expensive necessity - along the lines of car insurance.

My dad told me stories about when he was a kid 90 years ago when a weekend outing to the beach at White Rock 30 miles away would involve at least one but usually two flat tires. He said the tires in those days were built like rubberized bandages.

Even when I was a kid, spares always got used - remember blowouts? Now, if you even have one, spares rarely if ever touch the ground. I can't remember the last time I got rid of a car that didn't have the original 20 year old air in the spare - that was rusted into the trunk.

On 1/14/2020 at 5:04 PM, Great Red Shark said:

When I was out in the bush, I preferred inner tubes. I could fix them as needed with only a little more difficulty than fixing a bicycle tube. Three tire levers, box wrenches, spare tube and bicycle pump, the whole mess fit into the bottom corner of a pack.

Anyway, I'm running this lovely little gal, her big fat famous T-Dub rear tire ... like riding a quad with half the wheels missing. So different on the trail than my regular dirt bikes, this one is more like a burro, to the dirt-bike's wild horse. Sometimes a rider wants a burro. The older T-dubs still have the kick start.

20200104-001400.jpg