I am looking for sail charts / crossover charts (sail choice vs wind velocity and angle) as a guide to building my sail inventory. I would also like to create an update my own sail charts for current and future inventories. My boat: Beneteau First 40.7, shoal draft. Location: Chesapeake Bay. Primary use: club racing. Looking for sources for existing sail charts for 40.7's or similar and any recommended tools for creating a new chart. Attached is a pic I found of a sail chart for an unknown boat created with Expedition software as well as a chart from a friend's boat.

sample Expeditiion sailchart.jpg

PS sail chart P4290010c.jpg

At the risk of stating the obvious..did you ask a sailmaker? North, Doyle and others have certainly built sails for the 40.7. Quite likely somebody in that industry has a crossover chart for that boat. 

You might want to let people know what config your 40.7 is. Most of them in the NE have done mast head kites and/or penalty pole. Also, knowing your inventory would be essential.

Ask any of the China Cup competitors. One of them will have it I'm sure.

On 1/9/2020 at 2:21 PM, Captain Jack Sparrow said:

At the risk of stating the obvious..did you ask a sailmaker? North, Doyle and others have certainly built sails for the 40.7. Quite likely somebody in that industry has a crossover chart for that boat. 

I asked my North Sails rep. He's looking for one. So far, only polars.

• Like 1

On 1/9/2020 at 2:33 PM, SailChiTown said:

You might want to let people know what config your 40.7 is. Most of them in the NE have done mast head kites and/or penalty pole. Also, knowing your inventory would be essential.

Current inventory is small: 2 head sails - a #1 (135%) and a #2 (155%), and a symmetrical spinnaker (S2). A chart for any config 40.7 would be a helpful start.

8 hours ago, European Bloke said:

Crossover charts for the shoal draft version? Do such things exist? Does it tell you how many rolls to put in the headsail furler?

Hahaha, cute!  I already made a keel crossover chart; its a function of resources and desperation, not wind speed and angle. Meanwhile I'm just trying to have the most fun with the boat I have. A sail crossover chart for any 40.7 would be a good starting point. For instance I haven't seen polars for a shoal draft version either, but the "regular" polars are a help. 

33 minutes ago, CaptainCaution said:

Current inventory is small: 2 head sails - a #1 (135%) and a #2 (155%), and a symmetrical spinnaker (S2). A chart for any config 40.7 would be a helpful start.

I would suggest adding a #3 (180%) for the light air.

• Like 2

Did anyone get you a chart? I can send you one if you PM me your email. I have one that would include the sails you have + other sails, and it's in an editable excel format that you can upload to expedition. It would be for fractional kites, and the full keel, but could certainly get you going in the right direction.