I have just placed the order for the new Sailmon MAX:)

What are the other possible screens, will there be a cradle to fix it on the GPS bracket, are the buttons going to be winter glowes friendly etc,etc?

Lets talk about it, take it to the Max guys!

I saw it at METS, If your gloves aren't to "puffy" they should work though you might have a hard time locating them but after some time muscle memory will aid in pushing the correct one. 

4 hours ago, Blue Crab said:

Seems late to be asking those questions. Maxly. 

Formed my post carefully, and would feel offended not asking me this, Blue Crab:) Now we can move on:)

i'm not sure i really understand this device - the "augmented wind" doesn't seem that useful to me.

They show it displaying line square wind - how useful is line square wind using TWD from some on-land wind station or a grib? 

"Augmented wind is calculated from closest sources of wind from Sailmon cloud, if no close source is available a grib file will be used, If you have your own wind sensor your own sensor will be used. For connection with the Sailmon cloud an internet connection is required."

They say that an onboard wind sensor can be used, but i think the only connection is wifi.., and i didn't see anything about exactly how this wind data would be obtained from any of the common instrument systems.

i tried to look at the app that goes with this device - to see what wind stations are available from the "sailmon cloud"- and while i found several sailmon apps in the apple app store, none of them seem to be the one in the description of this device.

can you also just input a wind direction by going head to wind and hitting a button?

i found the app

you can set a wind direction manually in the app, and presumably this gets forwarded to the instrument

it seems like the sailmon cloud wind station feature is not really developed - i only saw 3 stations available, all in europe. anyway, setting the wind manually is probably a better way to do it.

i didn't see anything about connecting with other instruments for wind

1 hour ago, us7070 said:

i'm not sure i really understand this device - the "augmented wind" doesn't seem that useful to me.

They show it displaying line square wind - how useful is line square wind using TWD from some on-land wind station or a grib? 

"Augmented wind is calculated from closest sources of wind from Sailmon cloud, if no close source is available a grib file will be used, If you have your own wind sensor your own sensor will be used. For connection with the Sailmon cloud an internet connection is required."

They say that an onboard wind sensor can be used, but i think the only connection is wifi.., and i didn't see anything about exactly how this wind data would be obtained from any of the common instrument systems.

i tried to look at the app that goes with this device - to see what wind stations are available from the "sailmon cloud"- and while i found several sailmon apps in the apple app store, none of them seem to be the one in the description of this device.

can you also just input a wind direction by going head to wind and hitting a button?

It has Bluetooth and WiFi so it could be paired to a Bluetooth MHU I suppose. Otherwise your electronics must have a wifi server (which most do) for connecting tablets and such though I don't know how one would enter passwords and such with just 5 buttons other than it being a tedious affair. 

13 minutes ago, RImike said:

It has Bluetooth and WiFi so it could be paired to a Bluetooth MHU I suppose. Otherwise your electronics must have a wifi server (which most do) for connecting tablets and such though I don't know how one would enter passwords and such with just 5 buttons other than it being a tedious affair. 

sure - but what kind of data...nmea 0183.., 2000.., b&g h5000 websocket..?

i am pretty sure that anything going into the device will come through the app on your phone - that's what you connect to the device

but i don't see any way in the app to get data from instruments that could be sent to the device - so maybe i am wrong about only the phone connecting...

In the advertisements it looks as though the screen is almost...photoshopped? Seems like a lot of data on such a small screen.

Hi Anarchists!

It seems we're a bit late for our own party. Let's make up for the lost time. 

Itomori, thank you for the order we have received and processed it. You'll be receiving a pre-order unit as promised! Rlmike, thank you for visiting us at the METS Trade. Sounds like my colleague gave you a hands on demo. How is the first impression while holding the unit?

On to the questions. The max has a few preset screens for example:

• 1 data field 
  • 2 data fields (equal size)
  • 3 data fields (1 big, 2 small)
  • Start screen (no line pinged)
    • Time to start
    • the line
    • speed
    • heading
  • Start screen (line pinged)
    • Line square
    • heading
    • timer
    • distance to line
    • early or late
    • distance at start

As for the windsensor, the Max will connect to a wireless bluetooth sensor. 

Good research US7070, we've started some pilots with wind stations last year. Better be safe than sorry, right? There are 3 fixed stations and a few mobile stations. This year we'll expand the amount of stations for example in New Zealand, USA, Italy and many others. Sailing clubs (but also kite and surf clubs) can contact us when interested in a windstation. When there is no windsensor connected or windstation around, the track will get an automatic overlay of a high resolution gribfile. 

The data can then be downloaded as csv from logs.sailmon.com, just make sure to login with your credentials. 

Jackolantern, it does look that way doesn't it? I do believe an other anarchist posted pictures of our unit at METS 2019 in another topic that shows this fits. If you want to see it for your self, Max is visible during Boot Düsseldorf 2020 in Hall 10 at stand A47.

Well, you guys tell me, did we catch up? Anyway we'll be watching a bit more closely from now on!

Fairwinds, Robin from Sailmon

1 hour ago, Sailmon Instruments said:

As for the windsensor, the Max will connect to a wireless bluetooth sensor. 

thanks

will it connect to the B&G WS320 BT wireless wind sensor?

I see it has a compass and GPS.

can it connect to multiple BT devices, so that it could use BSP for the wind solution, rather than SOG?

Thanks, Robin for the answer! oh, there is more:

-Will there be a cradle to fix the device on the boat or GPS bracket?

-Would it be possible to change the batteries after some years?

-How is the GPS speed being measured? Doppler shift?

-What values on the data fields?  

Thanks,

Luka

Ah yes good questions (sorry for not quoting all of you). The cradle will be GoPro compatible and flat mount version. This gives you the flexibility to mount max almost everywhere.

Since we have not found a reliable enough bluetooth BSP sensor (there is one with mixed results), BSP will not be supported (yet). Same goes for the WS320, this is not supported, another unit is. I'll give the update as soon as details are available!

We have integrated the battery within the device, leaving no openings and make sure Max is fully waterproof. Changing the batteries will therefor not be possible. 

In regard to the values, we are still defining the final list for the release software, the variables will definitely increase over time. (SOG, heel, heading, timer, distance to line, early/late, etc)

The above being said, in due course Max will become compatible with our E4 processor as well. Which will allow it to be used with all sensors and just as a display of the E4.

And the video, great idea Mr.Clean! I've requested one internally, when available you guys will be the first to get it!

18 minutes ago, Sailmon Instruments said:

Since we have not found a reliable enough bluetooth BSP sensor (there is one with mixed results), BSP will not be supported (yet). Same goes for the WS320, this is not supported, another unit is. I'll give the update as soon as details are available!

it is possible to do a full nmea 0183 over bluetooth

here is one option.., but i think in principle, any RS232 - BT gateway will work. then there would only be one BT connection with all the data

datalinker.png

On 1/28/2020 at 4:25 PM, us7070 said:

it is possible to do a full nmea 0183 over bluetooth

here is one option.., but i think in principle, any RS232 - BT gateway will work. then there would only be one BT connection with all the data

datalinker.png

Good thinking! That is indeed an option we've been looking into. It might sound a bit cheesy, but we like to be sure that something works before we promise the world :P. The windsensor is stable and works, with the other units we've got mixed results (so far). 

So anarchists, a blunt question from us: What is your first of impression Max besides the above?

Fair winds, Robin 

Slightly off topic, but is it possible to drive the new ink display without a sailmon processor I.e. Can it be connected directly to the n2k network?

On 2/4/2020 at 4:08 AM, Sailmon Instruments said:

Good thinking! That is indeed an option we've been looking into. It might sound a bit cheesy, but we like to be sure that something works before we promise the world :P. The windsensor is stable and works, with the other units we've got mixed results (so far). 

So anarchists, a blunt question from us: What is your first of impression Max besides the above?

Fair winds, Robin 

The first batch has sold out and they look nice so things are going well for you, but they are expensive.  At 975 dollars, I'll buy 3 used ipads to mount on the boat and a mini to stick in my jacket and not really care if one goes overboard. 

On 2/4/2020 at 3:36 PM, T sailor said:

Slightly off topic, but is it possible to drive the new ink display without a sailmon processor I.e. Can it be connected directly to the n2k network?

Hi T-Sailor, You don't know how badly I want to say yes on this. But no this is not possible. The Element Ink is completely configurable, which means you can use NavDesk to change the layout of the display. N2K does not support these features. However we've designed the Sailmon E4 White to bridge between different networks such as the N2K of your current system.