Recommended Posts

I have just placed the order for the new Sailmon MAX:)

What are the other possible screens, will there be a cradle to fix it on the GPS bracket, are the buttons going to be winter glowes friendly etc,etc?

Lets talk about it, take it to the Max guys!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I saw it at METS, If your gloves aren't to "puffy" they should work though you might have a hard time locating them but after some time muscle memory will aid in pushing the correct one. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Blue Crab said:

Seems late to be asking those questions. Maxly. 

Formed my post carefully, and would feel offended not asking me this, Blue Crab:) Now we can move on:)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i'm not sure i really understand this device - the "augmented wind" doesn't seem that useful to me.

They show it displaying line square wind - how useful is line square wind using TWD from some on-land wind station or a grib? 

"Augmented wind is calculated from closest sources of wind from Sailmon cloud, if no close source is available a grib file will be used, If you have your own wind sensor your own sensor will be used. For connection with the Sailmon cloud an internet connection is required."

They say that an onboard wind sensor can be used, but i think the only connection is wifi.., and i didn't see anything about exactly how this wind data would be obtained from any of the common instrument systems.

i tried to look at the app that goes with this device - to see what wind stations are available from the "sailmon cloud"- and while i found several sailmon apps in the apple app store, none of them seem to be the one in the description of this device.

can you also just input a wind direction by going head to wind and hitting a button?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i found the app

you can set a wind direction manually in the app, and presumably this gets forwarded to the instrument

it seems like the sailmon cloud wind station feature is not really developed - i only saw 3 stations available, all in europe. anyway, setting the wind manually is probably a better way to do it.

i didn't see anything about connecting with other instruments for wind

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, us7070 said:

i'm not sure i really understand this device - the "augmented wind" doesn't seem that useful to me.

They show it displaying line square wind - how useful is line square wind using TWD from some on-land wind station or a grib? 

"Augmented wind is calculated from closest sources of wind from Sailmon cloud, if no close source is available a grib file will be used, If you have your own wind sensor your own sensor will be used. For connection with the Sailmon cloud an internet connection is required."

They say that an onboard wind sensor can be used, but i think the only connection is wifi.., and i didn't see anything about exactly how this wind data would be obtained from any of the common instrument systems.

i tried to look at the app that goes with this device - to see what wind stations are available from the "sailmon cloud"- and while i found several sailmon apps in the apple app store, none of them seem to be the one in the description of this device.

can you also just input a wind direction by going head to wind and hitting a button?

 

It has Bluetooth and WiFi so it could be paired to a Bluetooth MHU I suppose. Otherwise your electronics must have a wifi server (which most do) for connecting tablets and such though I don't know how one would enter passwords and such with just 5 buttons other than it being a tedious affair. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, RImike said:

It has Bluetooth and WiFi so it could be paired to a Bluetooth MHU I suppose. Otherwise your electronics must have a wifi server (which most do) for connecting tablets and such though I don't know how one would enter passwords and such with just 5 buttons other than it being a tedious affair. 

sure - but what kind of data...nmea 0183.., 2000.., b&g h5000 websocket..?

i am pretty sure that anything going into the device will come through the app on your phone - that's what you connect to the device

but i don't see any way in the app to get data from instruments that could be sent to the device - so maybe i am wrong about only the phone connecting...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In the advertisements it looks as though the screen is almost...photoshopped? Seems like a lot of data on such a small screen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Anarchists!

It seems we're a bit late for our own party. Let's make up for the lost time. 

Itomori, thank you for the order we have received and processed it. You'll be receiving a pre-order unit as promised! Rlmike, thank you for visiting us at the METS Trade. Sounds like my colleague gave you a hands on demo. How is the first impression while holding the unit?

On to the questions. The max has a few preset screens for example:

  • 1 data field 
  • 2 data fields (equal size)
  • 3 data fields (1 big, 2 small)
  • Start screen (no line pinged)
    • Time to start
    • the line
    • speed
    • heading
  • Start screen (line pinged)
    • Line square
    • heading
    • timer
    • distance to line
    • early or late
    • distance at start

As for the windsensor, the Max will connect to a wireless bluetooth sensor. 

Good research US7070, we've started some pilots with wind stations last year. Better be safe than sorry, right? There are 3 fixed stations and a few mobile stations. This year we'll expand the amount of stations for example in New Zealand, USA, Italy and many others. Sailing clubs (but also kite and surf clubs) can contact us when interested in a windstation. When there is no windsensor connected or windstation around, the track will get an automatic overlay of a high resolution gribfile. 

The data can then be downloaded as csv from logs.sailmon.com, just make sure to login with your credentials. 

Jackolantern, it does look that way doesn't it? I do believe an other anarchist posted pictures of our unit at METS 2019 in another topic that shows this fits. If you want to see it for your self, Max is visible during Boot Düsseldorf 2020 in Hall 10 at stand A47.

Well, you guys tell me, did we catch up? Anyway we'll be watching a bit more closely from now on!

Fairwinds, Robin from Sailmon

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Sailmon Instruments said:

As for the windsensor, the Max will connect to a wireless bluetooth sensor. 

thanks

will it connect to the B&G WS320 BT wireless wind sensor?

I see it has a compass and GPS.

can it connect to multiple BT devices, so that it could use BSP for the wind solution, rather than SOG?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks, Robin for the answer! oh, there is more:

-Will there be a cradle to fix the device on the boat or GPS bracket?

-Would it be possible to change the batteries after some years?

-How is the GPS speed being measured? Doppler shift?

-What values on the data fields?  

Thanks,

Luka

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ah yes good questions (sorry for not quoting all of you). The cradle will be GoPro compatible and flat mount version. This gives you the flexibility to mount max almost everywhere.

Since we have not found a reliable enough bluetooth BSP sensor (there is one with mixed results), BSP will not be supported (yet). Same goes for the WS320, this is not supported, another unit is. I'll give the update as soon as details are available!

We have integrated the battery within the device, leaving no openings and make sure Max is fully waterproof. Changing the batteries will therefor not be possible. 

In regard to the values, we are still defining the final list for the release software, the variables will definitely increase over time. (SOG, heel, heading, timer, distance to line, early/late, etc)

The above being said, in due course Max will become compatible with our E4 processor as well. Which will allow it to be used with all sensors and just as a display of the E4.

And the video, great idea Mr.Clean! I've requested one internally, when available you guys will be the first to get it!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Sailmon Instruments said:

Since we have not found a reliable enough bluetooth BSP sensor (there is one with mixed results), BSP will not be supported (yet). Same goes for the WS320, this is not supported, another unit is. I'll give the update as soon as details are available!

it is possible to do a full nmea 0183 over bluetooth

here is one option.., but i think in principle, any RS232 - BT gateway will work. then there would only be one BT connection with all the data

datalinker.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/28/2020 at 4:25 PM, us7070 said:

it is possible to do a full nmea 0183 over bluetooth

here is one option.., but i think in principle, any RS232 - BT gateway will work. then there would only be one BT connection with all the data

datalinker.png

Good thinking! That is indeed an option we've been looking into. It might sound a bit cheesy, but we like to be sure that something works before we promise the world :P. The windsensor is stable and works, with the other units we've got mixed results (so far). 

 

So anarchists, a blunt question from us: What is your first of impression Max besides the above?

Fair winds, Robin 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Slightly off topic, but is it possible to drive the new ink display without a sailmon processor I.e. Can it be connected directly to the n2k network?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/4/2020 at 4:08 AM, Sailmon Instruments said:

Good thinking! That is indeed an option we've been looking into. It might sound a bit cheesy, but we like to be sure that something works before we promise the world :P. The windsensor is stable and works, with the other units we've got mixed results (so far). 

 

So anarchists, a blunt question from us: What is your first of impression Max besides the above?

Fair winds, Robin 

The first batch has sold out and they look nice so things are going well for you, but they are expensive.  At 975 dollars, I'll buy 3 used ipads to mount on the boat and a mini to stick in my jacket and not really care if one goes overboard. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/4/2020 at 3:36 PM, T sailor said:

Slightly off topic, but is it possible to drive the new ink display without a sailmon processor I.e. Can it be connected directly to the n2k network?

Hi T-Sailor, You don't know how badly I want to say yes on this. But no this is not possible. The Element Ink is completely configurable, which means you can use NavDesk to change the layout of the display. N2K does not support these features. However we've designed the Sailmon E4 White to bridge between different networks such as the N2K of your current system. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Robin.... I'm looking at purchasing the Max unit to add to my yacht... I am currently running Raymarine instruments and I am adding a seatalk1 to Nmea converter that transmits this information over wifi... would the max be able to communicate with the instruments using this gateway?

 

Regards

 

Tim

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/6/2020 at 2:19 PM, PatsyQPatsy said:

.  At 975 dollars, I'll buy 3 used ipads to mount on the boat and a mini to stick in my jacket and not really care if one goes overboard. 

What good are 3 ipads if you cant read them in direct sunlight?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/14/2020 at 8:33 PM, woodpecker said:

What good are 3 ipads if you cant read them in direct sunlight?

You can and I often do.  Polarized lens tilt sometimes happens, but the Ipads work great.  I'm madly scanning for a photo, but i cant find one.  The most useful of the set is the mast mounted Ipad in the normal spot on the mast under the boom.  I velcro it on.  No issues.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/11/2020 at 9:57 PM, morepower said:

Hi Robin.... I'm looking at purchasing the Max unit to add to my yacht... I am currently running Raymarine instruments and I am adding a seatalk1 to Nmea converter that transmits this information over wifi... would the max be able to communicate with the instruments using this gateway?

 

Regards

 

Tim

Hi Tim, let me get back to you on that. For now we're focussed on Max communicating with the E4 processor range. I'll post a more detailed answer here for everybody to read. Can you in the meanwhile send me a PM? I might need some more details on the current setup of your Raymarine. 

I'm wondering if there are more questions, such as Itomori's (we've not forgotten you) and Tim's. If so please post them here and we'll find a nice way to give you guys all the answers. (also in regards to the mounting, yes there is info available!!!)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/16/2020 at 9:45 AM, PatsyQPatsy said:

You can and I often do.  Polarized lens tilt sometimes happens, but the Ipads work great.  I'm madly scanning for a photo, but i cant find one.  The most useful of the set is the mast mounted Ipad in the normal spot on the mast under the boom.  I velcro it on.  No issues.  

i never found them acceptable in sunlight - sometimes i could kind of make them out.., but it was a pain.., not something for use in a critical situation

and, sometimes a bright but cloudy situation - diffuse rather than direct light - is even worse than direct sunlight

i also found that the waterproof cases  - mine are  lifeproof  - made them less readable

i have read that the newest ipads are brighter than the older ones - i have a mini 2 - so maybe that's an issue for me.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

iPad vision is horrible in sunlight.  In these times of COVID walk outside on your balcony in bright southern climes, fire up you Splashtop-connected iPad ..... and see precisely fuck all.  Yeah fine in the heavy cloud of a Solent summer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/2/2020 at 9:12 AM, Sailmon Instruments said:

Hey guys, 

Good news! We are making a series about MAX!

Enjoy episode 1: Meet MAX - 1. Mounting

 

And there is also a GoPro mount! Wasn't sure this was clear ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi,

Hoping Sailmon can clarify something for me. I understand that where boats have installed the Sailmon displays (and therefore have a processor as well), and also have B&G displays and the associated processor, you can end up with different calculated numbers on different displays. For example 14 knots tws on b&g and 12 knots tws on Sailmon display.

Assuming this is correct, I guess really you have to choose one processor or the other??

Be great for some clarity here. For now, I understand it’s not a great idea to get the sailmon displays as an add on to a bandg system.

Thanks,

Will.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, wonka said:

Hi,

Hoping Sailmon can clarify something for me. I understand that where boats have installed the Sailmon displays (and therefore have a processor as well), and also have B&G displays and the associated processor, you can end up with different calculated numbers on different displays. For example 14 knots tws on b&g and 12 knots tws on Sailmon display.

Assuming this is correct, I guess really you have to choose one processor or the other??

Be great for some clarity here. For now, I understand it’s not a great idea to get the sailmon displays as an add on to a bandg system.

Thanks,

Will.

Hi Will,

That is a good question!

Depending on the installation, you can set up the E4 processor as a master or repeater. So for example, you want to add Sailmon Displays to the current installation and keep the other processor. Within the E4 processor, you select the existing processor as the data source.

Easier and much smoother would be replacing the processor, using the E4 Silver processor as master and plug it directly into the Fastnet so you can use Sailmon display's combined with your current display's. Remember Steve Jobs announcing the iPod with "A 1000 songs in your pocket"? Sailmon E4 processor, all your data and calibration in your pocket. It works on Windows, Android and Apple!

Does this answer your question? If you prefer, I can make you a personal system example to show how we solve these situations. 

Will others be interested in this too? If so we should start a separate topic ;)

For any direct questions you can reach me on: (when interesting questions pop-up I'll always try to share them anonymously, with permission) 

mob. +31611403729

mail. Robin.vanBienen@sailmon.com

Cheers!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks. That is good information.
It might be worth putting up to a link to a diagram where you show how the displays can work as extra displays to a B&G system, for example. As it was explained to me there was a reason  why a yacht had to keep the h5000 (or WTP?) as the primary processor, but they like your displays.

Cheers,

Will.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, wonka said:

Thanks. That is good information.
It might be worth putting up to a link to a diagram where you show how the displays can work as extra displays to a B&G system, for example. As it was explained to me there was a reason  why a yacht had to keep the h5000 (or WTP?) as the primary processor, but they like your displays.

Cheers,

Will.

Hi Will,

Can you send me the current installation details in a PM? I'll make the guys a personal example that you can show them. If they allow for it, I'll share in a Sailmon Element topic. (If not they get an example).

Cheers,

Sailmon and Robin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks like Sailmon is going to ship the pre-ordered MAX units on May 15, a pretty impressive achievement due to COVID. Excited to see it, but am a bit worried about the level of Out-Of-The-Box functionality. Images and video of actual product (not mock-ups) show the functional capability of a ProStart. After I got the email last week, I asked Sailmon Customer Service if an digital copy of the User Manual was available, and got no reply. In 10 days we'll know.

Screen Shot 2020-05-05 at 10.51.01 AM.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Jackdaw said:

Looks like Sailmon is going to ship the pre-ordered MAX units on May 15, a pretty impressive achievement due to COVID. Excited to see it, but am a bit worried about the level of Out-Of-The-Box functionality. Images and video of actual product (not mock-ups) show the functional capability of a ProStart. After I got the email last week, I asked Sailmon Customer Service if an digital copy of the User Manual was available, and got no reply. In 10 days we'll know.

Screen Shot 2020-05-05 at 10.51.01 AM.png

Hi JackDaw,

Let me find out why there has not been a respond as of yet. We have had a few bank holidays, who knows this was of influence. 

I can tell you there will be instruction videos about MAX, no more papers to loose (except the quickstart guide). We shall post them here as soon as they come online. Rather have the perfect guide instead of a crapy one, right?

If you have questions about MAX in the meantime, don't hesitate to get in contact.  

Cheers Rosalie at Saimon

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Sailmon Instruments said:

I can tell you there will be instruction videos about MAX, no more papers to loose (except the quickstart guide).

Please no! Wasting 20 minutes watching a video in the hope that it covers the issue rather than having proper documentation is a huge pain in the proverbial. Hard to lose a PDF as well...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Snowden said:

Please no! Wasting 20 minutes watching a video in the hope that it covers the issue rather than having proper documentation is a huge pain in the proverbial. Hard to lose a PDF as well...

Indeed. That seems very strange and shortsighted for what appears to be a complex instrument. Unless of course the initial OOTB functionality is limted to SOG and heading.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Jackdaw said:

Indeed. That seems very strange and shortsighted for what appears to be a complex instrument. Unless of course the initial OOTB functionality is limted to SOG and heading.

 

 

If they’re not willing to commit to publishing a manual to explain what MAX does and how MAX works maybe that tells you everything you need to know about MAX.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, samsonite said:

If they’re not willing to commit to publishing a manual to explain what MAX does and how MAX works maybe that tells you everything you need to know about MAX.

 

They're certainly a reputable company, so I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt. But they are not doing themselves any favors by the lack of transparency on what the product will contain on release. The lack of actual screen shots, no user manual, and an initial video about what, the mounting bracket?? Absolutely last thing I was interested in.

 

It would be different if this was a standard product release. But they have our money.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Jackdaw said:

 

They're certainly a reputable company, so I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt. But they are not doing themselves any favors by the lack of transparency on what the product will contain on release. The lack of actual screen shots, no user manual, and an initial video about what, the mounting bracket?? Absolutely last thing I was interested in.

 

It would be different if this was a standard product release. But they have our money.

They have your money? Thought you were a Racegeek guy, why this on top of that?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, samsonite said:

They have your money? Thought you were a Racegeek guy, why this on top of that?

Oh I am for sure. This will never replace the RaceGeek on my boat. But I review devices for our club, and on top of that I always like to have a portable device that I can take on other boats to train/coach with. I used to use a ProStart and then a Shift for that, but sold those and used the funds to get this.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi guys,

Thanks for the conversation about MAX, our newest wireless device. We like to thank you for your input and will try to clarify your questions. Most information of MAX can be found on www.sailmon.com/max

Max is a product which will evolve over time as we will  add functionality with software updates, like we do with our other products.

We have finalised our quick-start guide last week, which is in the Box. Besides the QuickStart guide we will have a detailed online user guide, which can be downloaded as PDF from our website.

To be able to see Max in real live you can find a video of Max https://www.facebook.com/sailmoninstruments/videos/940578549711118/

If you have more in-depth question do not hesitate to email us @ sales@sailmon.com or post them in this topic.

Kind regards,

Rosalie at SAILMON

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Rosalie, 

we understand in this era that features evolve and it takes time to find and fix bugs. (And EVERY complex system has  bugs) 

Can you post even an outline of what your pdf will be ? 

I could see this as a portable display/tactical pad for my tactician, it would need to interface to H5000 & Expedition  including the pings, race timer etc to supercede Ventus Pro

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, LionessRacing said:

Rosalie, 

we understand in this era that features evolve and it takes time to find and fix bugs. (And EVERY complex system has  bugs) 

Can you post even an outline of what your pdf will be ? 

I could see this as a portable display/tactical pad for my tactician, it would need to interface to H5000 & Expedition  including the pings, race timer etc to supercede Ventus Pro

Hi, 

The official launch date from MAX is the 15th of May, this will be the date that the manuals are available. 
 
As you might know, MAX is a stand-alone device and can’t be connected with any existing system, except for the Sailmon E4 and in the further the Calypso wind sensor by using the Bluetooth connection. 
 
Have a great weekend,
 
Kind regards,
Rosalie at Sailmon

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Sailmon Instruments said:

Hi, 

The official launch date from MAX is the 15th of May, this will be the date that the manuals are available. 
 
As you might know, MAX is a stand-alone device and can’t be connected with any existing system, except for the Sailmon E4 and in the further the Calypso wind sensor by using the Bluetooth connection. 
 
Have a great weekend,
 
Kind regards,
Rosalie at Sailmon

Hi Rosalie, will the Max communicate with the calypso out of the box? With both the max and calypso having internal compasses, will this work on a rotating mast?

Thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Sailmon Instruments said:
As you might know, MAX is a stand-alone device and can’t be connected with any existing system, except for the Sailmon E4 and in the further the Calypso wind sensor by using the Bluetooth connection. 
 

Well, that's a marketing decision, and it's your loss of potential market. Good luck 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/8/2020 at 6:59 AM, Sailmon Instruments said:

 

Max is a product which will evolve over time as we will  add functionality with software updates, like we do with our other products.

 

 

Um, Not the same. I get many products 'add' new features beyond the 1.0 spec, to the delight of the user base. But the MAX was advertised with a base level of functionality last fall when you started taking pre-orders, and now you are backing away from that. THAT'S the level that you committed to when you took people's money. Anything else is called 'bait and switch'.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Jackdaw said:

 

Um, Not the same. I get many products 'add' new features beyond the 1.0 spec, to the delight of the user base. But the MAX was advertised with a base level of functionality last fall when you started taking pre-orders, and now you are backing away from that. THAT'S the level that you committed to when you took people's money. Anything else is called 'bait and switch'.

 

Common JD ‘bait and switch’ is harsh. Can’t we just handle MAX with the same kid gloves we handle the Vakuous boys?

Marketing just out paced the product a little. They’ll try to do better in the future.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, samsonite said:

Common JD ‘bait and switch’ is harsh. Can’t we just handle MAX with the same kid gloves we handle the Vakuous boys?

Marketing just out paced the product a little. They’ll try to do better in the future.

Ok. Maybe. Let's see whats in the box, and whats not.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Jackdaw said:

 

Um, Not the same. I get many products 'add' new features beyond the 1.0 spec, to the delight of the user base. But the MAX was advertised with a base level of functionality last fall when you started taking pre-orders, and now you are backing away from that. THAT'S the level that you committed to when you took people's money. Anything else is called 'bait and switch'.

 

Dear Jackdaw,

Thank you for your feedback. All functionality promised in the fall of last year is implemented in MAX that we'll ship this Friday. The software updates we mentioned are additional features we've not yet mentioned in our communication. This includes the wind sensor functionality mentioned in this thread.

Rosalie at Sailmon

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/10/2020 at 12:11 AM, Dead air said:

Hi Rosalie, will the Max communicate with the calypso out of the box? With both the max and calypso having internal compasses, will this work on a rotating mast?

Thanks

Hi, 

The MAX will communicate with Calypso over BlueTooth in the future. 

We don't recommend to add the MAX and Calypso on a rotating mast because the compasses are simply too different, and this will lead to inaccurate data.

We do have a solid solution but requires our e4 processor and appropriate sensors.

Cheers,

Rosalie at Sailmon    

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Sailmon Instruments said:

Dear Jackdaw,

Thank you for your feedback. All functionality promised in the fall of last year is implemented in MAX that we'll ship this Friday. The software updates we mentioned are additional features we've not yet mentioned in our communication. This includes the wind sensor functionality mentioned in this thread.

That's great news! Now I did note that 'shift tracking' that was (and still is) featured on the feature list is marked as a 'future update' now. Has that moved back up?

Countdown timer
Distance to line
Estimated distance from line at start
Line bias
VMG calculation
Instant session report
Instant rankings ³
Value added data from Sailmon cloud ³
3 Different modes (sailor, coach, slave) ⁴
Header / lift indicator 5

 

NB - I'm not trying to be hard on you guys. I really like SAILMON. I just hold you to a higher standard than a couple of dudes one step above an Indiegogo project.

 

Can't wait to see it.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, samsonite said:

Ha!

Not to knit pick but I think you’re being overly critical Indiegogo projects and the transparency that comes with using a crowdfunding platform. There are some truly great products that can come from crowdfunding!

Actually I'm agreeing with you there. That's why I cut them (Vakaros) slack. But an established company with a track-record of developing and selling great products; if they take my money with the promise that the product will do 'X' when I get it, it should.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Has anyone that pore-ordered a MAX get a shipping notification? I have not. They posted a short FB vid about them hand delivering a couple in the NL, but nothing else. The promised on-line quick start and User Manual are not there either.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/18/2020 at 9:39 AM, Jackdaw said:

Has anyone that pore-ordered a MAX get a shipping notification? I have not. They posted a short FB vid about them hand delivering a couple in the NL, but nothing else. The promised on-line quick start and User Manual are not there either.

 

Well mine shipped and will be here on Thursday. I'll post some pics and impressions then.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/13/2020 at 2:38 PM, Jackdaw said:

That's great news! Now I did note that 'shift tracking' that was (and still is) featured on the feature list is marked as a 'future update' now. Has that moved back up?

Countdown timer
Distance to line
Estimated distance from line at start
Line bias
VMG calculation
Instant session report
Instant rankings ³
Value added data from Sailmon cloud ³
3 Different modes (sailor, coach, slave) ⁴
Header / lift indicator 5

 

NB - I'm not trying to be hard on you guys. I really like SAILMON. I just hold you to a higher standard than a couple of dudes one step above an Indiegogo project.

 

Can't wait to see it.

 

Dear,

That is correct. The shift tracking will come as a future update.

Your MAX has been shipped with UPS. Hopefully, you can enjoy sailing with MAX very soon. If you have feedback, please let us know by e-mail, Sales@sailmon.com.

Kind regards,

Rosalie at Sailmon

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

MAX came yesterday. Was going to take it for a test sail today, but there is no wind. So made a test video in the garden. Forgive the production values, I was not looking for an Oscar in Direction or Cinemaphotography. Any questions ask.

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Jackdaw your ProStart has low batteries! Try a new set of AAs and you should be good to go. If the internal circuit doesn't get 3.3v from the batteries it can't boot up fully and acquire satellites.

image.png.087caefa835d2fa6ce095bb3b5702d11.png

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, velocitek said:

@Jackdaw your ProStart has low batteries! Try a new set of AAs and you should be good to go. If the internal circuit doesn't get 3.3v from the batteries it can't boot up fully and acquire satellites.

image.png.087caefa835d2fa6ce095bb3b5702d11.png

 

Good info! It accidentally spent the winter with batteries in, and the parasitic draw drained them to that point. 
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Menus and some questions answered.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Jackdaw said:

Good info! It accidentally spent the winter with batteries in, and the parasitic draw drained them to that point. 
 

That can happen.

If you're sailing the next day or later the same day, leaving the batteries in can give you a faster boot up. If it's going to be days between sessions we recommend removing the batteries.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My Sailmon MAX arrived this morning, seamless setup pairing with my phone, did a quick software update and it's ready to rock. A mounting bracket is included for those wondering.

Was able to download my session via the app and the live stuff seems pretty cool already. Will have to see if it connects to my instruments as seamlessly when I get down the boat next! (NKE wifi box so should be able to provide wind data etc).

Minor quibble that the included wireless charger seems a bit dodgy, might need to find its sweet spot but the Anker one on my desk works fine. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Interested in this but can't find any info on the mounting bracket...anyone?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Vin said:

Interested in this but can't find any info on the mounting bracket...anyone?

 

Its a small rectangular plastic bracket, with 4 mount holes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Vin said:

Interested in this but can't find any info on the mounting bracket...anyone?

 

I show it at the 0:45 mark of the first video I posted. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/26/2020 at 12:44 PM, Jackdaw said:

The MAX is cool, but I'm one boat short to be able to take advantage of it. Selling it here for what I paid for it; a $300 savings on new.

 

https://sailinganarchy.com/advert/sailmon-max-brand-new-in-box-2/

 

Thanks everyone for the interest, the MAX is heading west today to a new home in CA!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just watched the Meet Max webinar.  Worth seeing if it posted.  Interested in your impressions of what was said.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The app needs some pimpin', but everything is heading in the right direction. The future is bright!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Love my MAX, but:

The dark color of the back side causes MAX to heat up in the sun; poison for LiPo batteries which age exponentially with temperature.


The holes on the MAX mount are a a little bit off from the universal AMPS hole pattern, which would have allowed to easily use RAM and many other mounts.
Grrrrrrr.
https://motogps.com.au/blog/what-is-the-4hole-amps-pattern/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, 5X-MOANA said:

Love my MAX, but:

The dark color of the back side causes MAX to heat up in the sun; poison for LiPo batteries which age exponentially with temperature.


The holes on the MAX mount are a a little bit off from the universal AMPS hole pattern, which would have allowed to easily use RAM and many other mounts.
Grrrrrrr.
https://motogps.com.au/blog/what-is-the-4hole-amps-pattern/

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1. Can the overheating be mitigated? i.e. paint it white.

2. Is LiPo heat degradation data easy to find online or from mfg?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Excellent battery reference.  I wonder if Sailmon can comment on the MAX operating voltage and charging instructions to prolong operational life.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, sailhmb said:

Excellent battery reference.  I wonder if Sailmon can comment on the MAX operating voltage and charging instructions to prolong operational life.

Dear Sailhmb,

We have all measurements in place to make sure the battery life is extended as much as we can.

We have done the following to make sure the battery life is extended as much as possible;
  • We never fully charge max before sending out;
  • We charge max slowly (less heat);
  • We discharge slowly (less heat);
  • We never fully discharge max;
What can the user do?
-Use a 5 volt 2amp charger or 9v 2amp power plug for the supplied wireless charger
-Don’t charge in a hot environment or in direct sunlight
-If you plan to store max for winter or a long period leave it at approximately half charge
 
I saw there was also some interest in the MAX webinar, I have placed the link below. 
 
Kind regards,
Sailmon

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Sailmon

Thank you for the expansion.  

a few follow up questions.

Are there a lot of >2amp chargers out there to be avoided?  All I have are Iphone chargers.

How does one arrive at half charge?  Charge up after the last race day or leave on to discharged for x hours?  Is the state of charge obvious looking at the display?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/18/2020 at 6:23 AM, Sailmon Instruments said:

 

Kind regards,
Sailmon

Hey Sailmon, my MAX showed up today and I showed it to my crew who are in awe of the greatness I describe from the brochure.

however, i'm doing something wrong I think.  When I try to power it up I get the Sailmon 'S' logo on the screen and I cant turn the device off or (more) on from there.  Just the logo--- probly missed something in the quick start guide (its at my office)  when I flew thru it.

What am I doing wrong ?  Not fully charged enough maybe ?  No buttons seem to impact this, I'd be grateful for any input !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Question:   I pulled it outta the mail yesterday, doesn't power up.    Wrote to Sailmon, they immediately called AND followed up with email.  Impressive.   They suggested my iPhone charger brick may not be adequate, so I plugged into my laptop to charge but still all I get is this screen.  Any ideas ?  I think the Sailmon folks have left for the day 

I cant get this screen to go away, no power on and no power off.  it's just frozen

 

IMG_2481.thumb.jpeg.9f1ee94f86f0c11ac14f0d8385de3dfb.jpeg

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Your computer certainly won't supply the charger with enough power, you need a 5v 2a charger, lots of iphone chargers just supply 5v 0.5a.

Do you have any other chargers? like a USB tablet charger?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Kalle said:

Your computer certainly won't supply the charger with enough power, you need a 5v 2a charger, lots of iphone chargers just supply 5v 0.5a.

Do you have any other chargers? like a USB tablet charger?

 

iPad charger ?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Kalle said:

 you need a 5v 2a charger, lots of iphone chargers just supply 5v 0.5a.

 

I wonder why the folks at Salmon didn't put this anywhere in the package, jeez, I"m no electronics guy but this isn't obvious at all to me.. hmm..

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, 1sailor said:

I wonder why the folks at Salmon didn't put this anywhere in the package, jeez, I"m no electronics guy but this isn't obvious at all to me.. hmm..

 

If the battery is DoA you may have a bigger problem...

What’s the return policy? What’s the warranty policy?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Its on the quick start guide that you need a 2A charger, mine actually came charged enough to start out of the box though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/1/2020 at 6:51 AM, JonRowe said:

Its on the quick start guide that you need a 2A charger,

a small mistake by them but no it isn’t.  p. 17 only says to ‘plug it into a USB’

no biggie, i’m just not accustomed to buying stuff that requires a separate  charger

i now have bought a suitable charger let’s see how it goes!  i’m hopeful!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now