121 Boats signed up so far. 3 marks any order.

Sooooo which is da fastestest?

Also through the Raccoon Strait or no?

I know the Moore guys all know this but I don't have enough sheckels to bribe my kid into Stanford so figuring SA next best plan.

1 hour ago, Spindrift V said:

121 Boats signed up so far. 3 marks any order.

Sooooo which is da fastestest?

Also through the Raccoon Strait or no?

I know the Moore guys all know this but I don't have enough sheckels to bribe my kid into Stanford so figuring SA next best plan.

It depends....

would love to do it but the boats in the yard...

Go ccw don’t look at wind or the tide book. Something like 8 of the past 10 races have been won ccw. 

• Like 1

My boat gets hauled today for new bottom. If it doesn't rain too much this week and they don't find anything nasty under the waterline, I'll be sailing the 3BF. I have a great spreadsheet that has flawlessly failed to pick the correct direction for the last 10 years. With that record of consistency in mind, I think I'm going to invoke it again this year, and go the other way.

• Like 3

Follow Gordy.

186 now

Gordy is only fast cuz he has a yellow boat, they never made any yellow E-37's did they?

Thinkin snuffer on kite if it's supposed to be windy

That's what Raindrop does, but only offshore so nobody knows....

19 minutes ago, Spindrift V said:

186 now

Gordy is only fast cuz he has a yellow boat, they never made any yellow E-37's did they?

Thinkin snuffer on kite if it's supposed to be windy

That's what Raindrop does, but only offshore so nobody knows....

There's always yellow paint....

You can letterbox drop a E37 kite in a manageable way....

Jib up

Throw the kite halyard over the transom and drag it. Yep.

Rig for lazy sheets/guys, drag the lazy sheet over to the clew, pass it between the main foot and boom and down the hatch.

crew stands in the companionway, driver releases the guy and feeds the sheet. (Tell him to drive down, more! no, really down!)

Dead downwind the kite will hover behind the main, pull the lazy sheet, pop the clutch and bring her down.  Driver needs to make sure the sheet runs free.

The halyard dragging behind will have just enough friction on it to slow down the drop so you can handle it.

On 1/11/2020 at 10:59 AM, Raz'r said:

It depends....

would love to do it but the boats in the yard...

My crew bailed in favor of spending a day with family... if you are still looking let me know. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, LionessRacing said:

My crew bailed in favor of spending a day with family... if you are still looking let me know. 

What a generous offer, thank you. However, if my boat is in the yard on a Saturday, I will be as well.....

• Like 1

6 hours ago, LionessRacing said:

If you're still looking I'm going to be in SF that weekend, looking to get out sailing since my original plans seem to have fallen through! A little bit of keelboat experience on a J-24 and assorted 4KSBs, and lots of dinghy experience. I'd love to join you if you still need someone!

50 minutes ago, Vaeredil said:

If you're still looking I'm going to be in SF that weekend, looking to get out sailing since my original plans seem to have fallen through! A little bit of keelboat experience on a J-24 and assorted 4KSBs, and lots of dinghy experience. I'd love to join you if you still need someone!

See PM. 

• Like 1

I hear the Alameda Marina hoist is broken, again.  That might knock out a dozen or 20 boats.

Big surprise, though. They're doing their best to drive everybody away, and succeeding.

Thread bump - let's hear from some weather dudes. Light southerly with possible rain? 

from Predict Wind near Alcatraz  

From Kame Richards at Skipper's meeting last night:

"The wind will determine who wins, not the current" 

"start sailing towards your berth..." 

"if you are not moving forwards, you are probably going the wrong direction" 

and finally "there are no questions, because there are no answers" 

image.png

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, SF Woody Sailor said:

That is pretty grim.

well there were years with 1 or 4 out of 300 that finished by 1900.  If the tuned models are accurate there's enough wind to get in... 

1 hour ago, LionessRacing said:

well there were years with 1 or 4 out of 300 that finished by 1900.  If the tuned models are accurate there's enough wind to get in... 

Sure, but on a J-22 we start at 9:27, and if we anchor until 2 when the breeze fills in it is a pointless exercise.

22 hours ago, SF Woody Sailor said:

302 boats currently registered.

Is there another regatta in the US that gets more boats on a single course?

Um...  Chi mac gets 300+ regurlarly,  

the more detailed, subscription weather forecasts show enough breeze by 10 or so. so yes, the early starters might get hosed, but there should be enough.

1 hour ago, Raz'r said:

the more detailed, subscription weather forecasts show enough breeze by 10 or so. so yes, the early starters might get hosed, but there should be enough.

Would you be kind enough to let me know which subscription service you have found to be most reliable? Feel free to PM me if you prefer.

Thanks in advance.

48 minutes ago, SF Woody Sailor said:

Would you be kind enough to let me know which subscription service you have found to be most reliable? Feel free to PM me if you prefer.

Thanks in advance.

https://forecast.saildrone.com/?lat=37.938&lng=-122.43&z=11&l=ecmgfs|wind

Here, I routed it for you, with Bermuda 40 polars... image.thumb.png.8e1eeb058929868f2095e7e7cc354c0b.png

image.thumb.png.c72d02b66c8a2802ca126f098bb3f109.png

I like Sailflow inside the bay, it's relatively inexpensive.  I use the 1k model.

PredictwindOffshore outside

Some folks really like saildrone 

Windy is also very cool

More recent GFS run is #2, note that it swaps the preferred direction from the first model run on older data... 

CW_B2 goes east of Angel Island, others go west.. will re-run tomorrow off HRR forecast for better resolution. SailDrone used to be "SailTactics" Not finding a GRIB subscription from them, used to use PredictWind, but as the coverage of the Estuary was spotty let it lapse. (note routing with Expedition V11) 

image.png.364df7a8f166d79b08376265f3e4efd5.png

Runs with a "P" suffix are amended polars with guess at 3 kt TWS... 

image.png.135e4aa5f975a3e4711177a35f09629f.png

image.thumb.png.de0c403d88f9227b482e92ba04f92e3c.png

https://www.rntl.net/mttamcam.htm

Super foggy and little wind, probably pretty tense on the water this morning with 300 boats trying to start between 9 and 11. You might be able see the race if the fog clears. Scroll down through the site to the cam on the Salesforce tower.  It is usually pointed at the start and finish line as well as the Blackaller mark,  also has a another cam view of Raccoon strait looking towards the City front.

It turned into a glamor day. No rain to speak of, even some sun, and more wind than forecast.

From what I saw, if you made it around RR before the tide change you finished. I think many peoples days ended anchored near Red Rock.

We went RR, TI, BH, riding the end of the flood to RR, and picking up the ebb just as we rounded. The sexy new Antrim that was the first monohull went the same way (I think, they might have done Blackhaller first), but went through Raccoon Straights where we went around Pt. Blunt. A Wabbit that did really well, went Balckhaller, RR, TI. 

6 hours ago, mad said:

A long and frustrating day for many looking at those. 

oof. and today looks more promising weather-wise..

• Um...  Chi mac gets 300+ regurlarly,  

This was a low year for the 3BF....   it's usually in the 350 range as I recall.   The Mac certainly has waaaaay more people on course.

Never has my wife's "honey-do" list looked so good. Glad I stayed off the water and banked some wife-karma - this year looked very frustrating.

8 hours ago, stinky said:

It turned into a glamor day. No rain to speak of, even some sun, and more wind than forecast.

From what I saw, if you made it around RR before the tide change you finished. I think many peoples days ended anchored near Red Rock.

We went RR, TI, BH, riding the end of the flood to RR, and picking up the ebb just as we rounded. The sexy new Antrim that was the first monohull went the same way (I think, they might have done Blackhaller first), but went through Raccoon Straights where we went around Pt. Blunt. A Wabbit that did really well, went Balckhaller, RR, TI. 

I guess we have different definitions of a glamour day. 38 total finishers out of 317 entrants. 12 divisions with no finishers and another 7 divisions with only 1 finisher. Only 2 monohull divisions with more than two finishers before sunset. I am glad we pulled the plug and went to my son's basketball game instead of bobbing around until sunset.

A few pictures of the finish area before sunset (17:25 hr) are on Flickr.link

The start area pictures may trail later.

Fleet results appear on Jibeset.link

16:33 hr Antrim 27 IO first monohull to finish

49446562861_6a3e1ff323_b.jpgIMG_3168_DxO 

16:34 hr Extreme 40 ShadowX first multihull to finish

49446794652_1bb66ed610_b.jpgIMG_3187_DxO_4500 

Open 8.5m Mama Tried

49446097798_bd40d7ce43_b.jpgIMG_3215_DxO

Marstrom Seacart 30 Hammer

49447172527_95907dc3b1_b.jpgIMG_3241_DxO 

Sabre 36 Serenade

49446585036_da0c73fb99_b.jpgIMG_3271_DxO_4500 

J70 Kangaroo Jockey