dachopper

Garmin Watch users - new Sailing Datafield

Hello peeps 

I've finished my first stab at a garmin datafield for fenix 5 / 6 users with sailing in mind. Interested to get some feedback if anyone here wants to try it for free.

I suggest adding it as a datafield to the Garmin Boating app, that way you can use waypoints / record etc and get your google earth track after the race. / speed graphs etc....

Its got speed, max speed, elapsed time, clock time, VMG to the next waypoint, distance to the next waypoint, track and angle off your track to the next waypoint.

https://apps.garmin.com/en-US/apps/2d95d2f2-9fa4-474d-b503-8118a969cfc2#0

Nick

• Like 1

Took a quick peek at the supported hardware.   It looks like Tactix Charlie is supported.   I currently have a original tactix that gives me most of those datafields, but needs a battery replacement.   Watch is way too old and primitive to do the iq connect and use your datafields.

The top end Fenix is even better than the Tactix Charlie, with a much longer battery life.   I am really ruminating over getting one.   If so, I will try your app/datafields out.

- Stumbling

Wish I'd seen this before I ordered my Quatix. ;)

• Like 1

Looks like it's compatible with Quatix 5. This maybe the push I need to buy one!

Job well done dachopper.

• Like 1

That looks nice. Please compile for Forerunner x45 devices too, they have the same screen resolution and button layout so it’s usually trivial to do.  

On my own Garmin app I finally added a small tick mark around the edge of the screen that shows visual bearing to next waypoint. Sometimes it’s faster for me to think “turn hard to port” than go -100 degrees.  That looks like it would be easy to add to your data field too. 

On 1/15/2020 at 11:41 AM, Hitchhiker said:

Looks like it's compatible with Quatix 5. This maybe the push I need to buy one!

Job well done dachopper.

I believe everything is cross-compatible between the Fenix 5/6 and the Quatix 5.  At least that is what I have experienced when trying to get apps/ watch faces for my Quatix.  It seems everything was initially designed for the Fenix.

Garmin lost me as a customer about 10 years ago with shitty customer service. A couple of devices went tits up just after warranty ran out and the reply was "it sucks to be you".

Mmmm. fool me once...

Ok.... I've learned a little more and released my own application.

It's fully Functional , records, and has two pages.

The Datapage with all the info, plus I have  a navigation page that is very easy to use.

I also have an instant , and a 5 second average Polar speed / angle off wind generator in there, just figuring out how to display the data at present.

I've got the new fenix 6, and it's the best smart watch I have ever had, 21 days battery life, and bluetooth mp3 music!

https://apps.garmin.com/en-US/apps/1980c826-844a-47f7-9ca8-ffc0e09ba2ba

hero2.thumb.jpg.58276eac7b57fd93feb5f90e80f7febd.jpg1361206340_watchfaceNav.jpg.4965bccac64b0d8d9bda5d616b7f3ac0.jpg

• Like 1

On 1/15/2020 at 7:59 PM, Alex W said:

That looks nice. Please compile for Forerunner x45 devices too, they have the same screen resolution and button layout so it’s usually trivial to do.  

On my own Garmin app I finally added a small tick mark around the edge of the screen that shows visual bearing to next waypoint. Sometimes it’s faster for me to think “turn hard to port” than go -100 degrees.  That looks like it would be easy to add to your data field too

Hey alex -  I see Garmin have this feature allready if you use the boat app, naviagate to a waypoint and then pick scroll to my data page, the arrow is a layer ontop I think...

Any chance you can give me the code for the  tick mark? and I'll add it on there?

Ps - The app supports all CIQ 3.0 + devices, so I think there are 6 or so of the .45 forerunners in there !

I need to push the latest code to my github. I’ll loop back when that is done and you can copy the tick. 

Hopefully it works well as the Garmin Fenix 3 sailing apps were really bad 

Just curious if they have corrected the VMG issues as on the 3 series it was dependent on the watch orientation 

Downloaded onto my Forerunner 645 Music and seems to work well from my living room!  That said, I've navigated a number of point-to-point races on my watch with other apps,  and I think I like yours better ...

- main page is pretty busy but I wouldn't change it, i personally like all the data on there - some apps don't have the time with seconds on the main page, for example. 

- Your wind speed/direction setup on startup is pretty innovative and intuitive; i like it... but it could be tough to get it right from a pitching cockpit, if you forget to set it on the dock...maybe a functionality for small edits (+/- with buttons?).  maybe also being able to re-enter the initial input function change speed and direction without powering down the app?  ie, wind shifts?

- looks like the waypoint input function isn't there yet ... not sure what you had in mind,  but i've enjoyed being able to upload full lists of GPX waypoints, but also need to be able to input new waypoints from scratch in the middle of a race ... in other apps this interface has been really cumbersome - my preference is to update/upload from an iPhone, but i'm clueless as to how these interfaces work.

- consider another page with a lat/long output to 2 or 3 decimals and time with seconds for use at the nav table...or maybe incorporated into the chart output page.

If you race and have a Garmin watch definitely check out the RaceQs watch app. It's awesome.

One more shameless request with zero knowledge of programming difficulty ... I would love the functionality of shifting everything displayed in the app to magnetic based on a user-input variation in a settings menu.  This would be helpful when using a hand-bearing compass to lay a drop mark.

I just want to clarify, your datafields use the waypoint data that is entered directly into the Garmin smartwatch, not limited to your application, correct?

There were some older apps that could not use the native waypoints or routes to display data, you had to enter them into the app.

- Stumbling

The Datafield I made, is just a display page in addition to the existing garmin app.....

So if that app has routed  / courses / whatever, then this page will use the steeing information.

My App is still a WIP currently I have 7 different display pages on my test version...

I created a way to log the Polar information, to generate your own polar diagram from wind, and pretty much overloaded the CPU ( The watch slowed right down )

So I'm now going backwards to do everything possible to reduce computing overhead, then I'll get the courses and waypoints into  the main menu which I've also just started. but I have not started to tackle the waypoint part yet - just trying to figure out the displays, so far I have 3 speed and 3 nav, plus the initial screen which has changed.

The VMG is spot on, it's my own maths, based on your GPS Track,  and the bearing off to the steer point..... or the wind axis if there is no waypoint.

Set Mag Var should be simple in the main menu.. . maybe even automatic.

on loading courses, in the watch i think is too painfull, if you have a phone, and open Garmin Express, the intent would be you can load coarse data in there.

But it's gonna take some time for me to figure that one out.

• Like 1

If it’s helpful, the watch app I’ve been using, “sailing waypoints,” piggybacks on the iPhone “r.485” app for gpx input. As I mentioned before though, it’s really cumbersome.

FE47EAD3-832E-49B3-AFCC-F91ADCCE8A0C.png

Big progress this week, I  re-did the calculations code, as something was destroying the performance, and now it's very quick, the Polar logs are now 0 degrees = into the wind axis and defaulted to off to improve performance.

I have still not got around to plotting it, and garmin does not support that type of graph yet  

But I have created a dump of the data in either case, that is available in any watch if you

Plug your watch into a PC, put a blank text document in the watch in  the gamin /apps/ log folder  called sail racer.

Once you exit your activity the text document should have the polar data which you can copy / paste into excell and make your own polar graph.... for now

The calculations for this use current speed and current track for the instant log, 

and I added the velocity vectors together to get a proper 5 second average vector for the  average polar. ( this helps show speed reduction if you have an unsustainable burst of speed like roll tack.

The VMG code is 100% accurate, it's using SIN and COS / pythag. to calculate.

Next on the list... is the LIFT / KNOCK calculator and getting beeps /  vibrations for menu items and top speeds :)

Any ideas what people would actually define as a lift or a knock?    

how many degree change for how long?

I've added a main menu to turn on / off polar graphing, and go back to set the wind., now have 9 screens ( 3 targetting for Nav, 3 targetting for speed and 2 general purpose.

SO YOU GUY HAVE A WHERE AM i GPS ON YOUR WRIST

neat

has anyone added nautical charts to an older car GPS  like a garmin nuivi the car street maps are update-able on it

I have several that display distance speed and heading and they are at yard sales for a very few bucks

I would love to hack in a chart apt but no clue how or if possible ?

Released version 1.0.0 now

Polar functions work

3 Nav screens

3 speed screens

1 general screen

Racing computer on your wrist!

Version 1.1 uploaded today - Race Countdown added, Polar log filter added to detect tacks / gybes and only log if you have a steady GPS track. If you donwload - please give the app a rating so it appears higher in the store visibility & I'll keep developing it. Waypoints are next on the list.

Great job. Added it to my Fenix 5X Boat app. A question I have is - can the VMG calculation use GPS location data rather than the compass? Or is that too inaccurate/computation intensive? On small boats/dinghies, it would be nice to quickly look at the watch for VMG without having to align the watch with the boat axis. 

It uses GPS track, you can.look at your watch upside down and it will show the correct info the compass is only to Set the wind axis.

4 hours ago, dachopper said:

It uses GPS track, you can.look at your watch upside down and it will show the correct info the compass is only to Set the wind axis.

Hmmm...I tested by walking a straight line between two waypoints. The VMG and +xx/-xx data will change as I rotate the watch axis away from the direction of travel toward the waypoint, all the way to -100% VMG and +180 when the watch is rotated 180 degrees from the direction of travel. Am I missing something, or some buried watch setting?

59 minutes ago, DWD said:

Hmmm...I tested by walking a straight line between two waypoints. The VMG and +xx/-xx data will change as I rotate the watch axis away from the direction of travel toward the waypoint, all the way to -100% VMG and +180 when the watch is rotated 180 degrees from the direction of travel. Am I missing something, or some buried watch setting?

BTW, I'm using the Sail Racer Data Field inside the Garmin Boat app, not the new Device App which appears to be a WIP with regards to VMG to a waypoint.

1 hour ago, DWD said:

If you are moving slow... like walking... the GPS track is often disabled and the watch uses the compass instead. I haven't looked at the data field since I got the app working, which is at a much higher state, although the data field was all working when I last used it, so I'm not sure?? 

Have a look at the top field when you rotate your watch, the very top. This is GPS track, however it will be compass if GPS track is not valid. If that is also increasing / decreasing it means no gps signal, or your not fast enough to log a track..

On 1/23/2020 at 1:50 PM, dachopper said:

Have a look at the top field when you rotate your watch, the very top. This is GPS track, however it will be compass if GPS track is not valid. If that is also increasing / decreasing it means no gps signal, or your not fast enough to log a track..

Thanks. I figured out my problem. Compass Mode was set to On. Changed to Mode Auto and all is well. Looking forward to the app completion.

Version 1.2 uploading today. 
Added sport selection ( kitesurf/windsurf/Sail/ etc... ) with remembering of your preference
Added record data- max speed of all time, longest distance all time, as well as session max and session distance to the activity summary on your phone.
Session total number of tacks and number of gybes 
Formatted polar data for ease of plotting, with all values defaulting to zero.
 main menu has change wind added as an option in session. 
Added race countdown timer which can be set after you hit start, or changed on the fly in the middle of a countdown
Coming shortly....
Tack angle and Gybe angle calculator, which will also be added to the session summary.
Adding the beeps and vibrations.

Question... at present when you start recording, the Elapsed time increases.... do you think you would like any other indication aside from ET counting up?  I could add some red graphics easily? Or keep it clean it will be easier to read? 

Ok.  This old dog bought a Quatix 5.  Loaded in the garmin apps and tested sail racer yesterday on a delivery.

Questions/Observations: 

What's the difference between operating within the Boat App versus new device App?

When the app starts it asks to set windspeed and direction.  How does the app keep track of wind speed and shifts?  Is there a way to skip this?  For my use, I'm more interested in range and bearing to Wp's and time to laylines.

I noted that the COG was significantly different from InavX on two separate mobile devices.  I figured out how to calibrate and had the watch set to mag.  Assume this is a watch sensor issue. 

What app are people using for storing waypoints on their mobile devices?

Thanks @dachopper for your work and efforts.

At the moment, if you are in Boat mode , and you add Sail Racer Data Field - it's only the one main page you can see ( because it's a datafield ) , and because you are in boat mode, you can select any waypoint on your watch, or a course and direct navigation.. and my datafield will give you the waypoint info ( distance, bearing off your track ).

The Sail Racer Application - has 7 different pages you can look at, depending on what information suits you. the main page + 3 speed oriented pages, + 3 Navigation oriented pages.

It also has race countdown, and generates two different polar logs of your race so you can figure out the best tacking angles / gybing angles to use.

The main thing the Application does not do right now - is the waypoint navigation...because of the way Garmin implement  the waypoints.

..... However, I am going to add my own code shortly that will be suitable for short course navigation shortly ( say within 60 nm ) - to bypass the garmin calculatior which is locked out.

The reason I say short course, is because of earth curvature, you must take into account the curve if going say from perth to sydney, or else lots of your headings will be off.

If your only going a short distance, curve is minor, and therefore if you assume the earth is flat, the result is > 99% correct, and shouldn't bog the watch calculations down.

• Like 1

They are both free - I suggest, try both, and if you don't need waypoint info - use the application as it offers a lot more.

Uploaded version 1.4 Today

Improved display compatibility if you have a smaller watch resolution

Added vibrations to all menus that save data + the race countdown at 3 min 2 min 1 min 30 sec, 20 sec, 10 secs.

Added Tack and Gybe min speed filter ( adjustable ) to stop the watch recording a tack if you walk across a boat, or on the shore.

instant polar.jpg

Sail Racer User Guide : version 1.5

When you first open the App, turn the watch left or right to decrease / increase the wind speed, and click (start) once your approximation of wind speed is displayed. This is not used in computations, but is displayed in your Connect IQ activity -  Session Summary. Next, point the arrow into wind, and click next. This will store the wind direction, which is used for VMG upwind / downwind and angle off the wind calculations. If the wind changes during the session, you can re-set the wind from the Sail Racer main menu.

Screens – currently there are 7 main screens, with the general purpose screen displaying first, selecting up or down will cycle through 3 speed oriented screens, and 3 navigation oriented screens. Access to the main menu, and start / stop session can be done from any of these screens.

Most of the screens have local watch Time / Session record time towards the bottom, that will cycle between the two values every 4 – 6 seconds.

Recording – Prior to recording, if you wish to also record Polar Data, select this option in the main menu. If you have done this in the past, then the watch will remember your preference. To start recording, click start, the watch session time near the bottom will change to RED colour and start increasing ( on all screens )  and the watch will vibrate once. To stop recording, push the same button, the watch will vibrate twice and the Save / Discard / Save and Exit / Exit menu will be displayed. Move up or down to select the option desired, and if Save is selected, the watch will vibrate 3 times to indicate save completed and exit, or be ready to record another session.

Race Countdown – The race countdown uses a modified session recording time, to display a countdown for use in any pre-race countdown situation. To use this feature, simply start recording when the 5 or 10 minute gun / flag is displayed, and then enter the main menu to select the desired countdown. This will then be applied to the session time that is already running realtime. There are built in vibrations at 3 minutes, 2 minutes, 1 minute, 30 secs, 20 secs and from 10 secs to zero secs to go. The Speed 1 screen and Nav 1 screen will show the race countdown covering the entire screen, until time = 0, then go back to the normal display screen. You may also set the race countdown timer before you start recording in the main menu, and it will remain at – X minutes until you select record.

Main Menu – To access the main menu from any of the 7 screens, hold the menu button for 2 – 3 seconds until the menu is displayed.  To navigate use the Previous / Next buttons and Start to select an Item.

-Reset Wind Direction

-Enable Polar Logging

-Edit / Enter Waypoint information ( Not Available until version 2.0+ )

-Edit / Enter Courses ( Not Available until version 2.0+)

-Select Race Countdown

-Select Activity Type – as shown in your Activity Summary in Garmin Connect

-Adjust Tack / Gybe Filter

The Tack / Gybe filter, allows you to set a minimum speed that needs to be held as you pass through the wind direction. This is to filter out tacks being recorded when you are walking around on the beach, floating in the water or walking on a boat deck. By default 2 kts upwind, 3 kts downwind. It’s recommended to set this higher if your tack or gybe angles occasionally appear incorrect. After a tack or gybe, the heading you are on will not be recorded until your speed has stopped increasing and is stable, to give an accurate tack angle

Polar Log feature – this feature allows you to record polar data, to later obtain a plot of max speed vs wind angle on a PC / Mac. To use this feature first go into the main menu and enable polar logging. The instant log, records max speed Vs angle off the wind, every second without filters, and as a result, if you preform fast tacks / gybes /  you will have unsustainable speeds recorded against some of the angles. The Average log reduces this by adding 5 seconds of recordings together, and averaging the resulting vector out. And by ignoring all speed values that occur when the heading is not steady.

To record the polar log you must place a blank Text document on your watch in the Garmin / Apps / Log folder, and call it Sail Racer. Every time you record a session, or exit the watch application, the Polar log and tacking information will be overwritten. So if you want Polar data off your watch from a session, enable polar logging, ensure the text file is in the folder on your watch, Start the session, Save and exit once finished. Do not open the app again, until you have plugged it into a PC and copied the data from the text file. If you open the app before copying, or start another recording session, the polar data will be overwritten.

Once Polar data is in the text file, you can copy and paste into a program such as MS excel, use the import wizard when you paste, click next and select Comma to separate the separate values.

Then Highlight all the excel data boxes, right click quick analysis, chart, radar chart. It’s a bit of a pain, but the only way it can be done at present.

Enjoy…..

Nick

• Like 1

Hey Nick,

I don't have one of these watches, but can it listen to a UDP datagram or connect to a TCP socket for data?  (I'm thinking that it could show Expedition broadcast data.)

Ok. I've got a Fenix 5. Got it for Christmas and I'm just getting started with figuring out apps on this thing. Which of these sailing apps should I try, the garmin sailing app with the sail racer data field, or the sail racer app, or both? 

I've also pulled down the raceQ's app and Alex's app to play around with. It's not sailing season here so it will be a while before I can try any of these out on the boat.  

33 minutes ago, Slick470 said:

I've also pulled down the raceQ's app

is that still available? I wish they were still around - it had a lot of potential I think.

18 hours ago, Axyl said:

Hey Nick,

I don't have one of these watches, but can it listen to a UDP datagram or connect to a TCP socket for data?  (I'm thinking that it could show Expedition broadcast data.)

I'm not a programmer by trade, but it can connect via a phone, to get WEB data

13 hours ago, Slick470 said:

Ok. I've got a Fenix 5. Got it for Christmas and I'm just getting started with figuring out apps on this thing. Which of these sailing apps should I try, the garmin sailing app with the sail racer data field, or the sail racer app, or both? 

I've also pulled down the raceQ's app and Alex's app to play around with. It's not sailing season here so it will be a while before I can try any of these out on the boat.  

Slick - give the Sail Racer App a go.

The only thing it does not have right now is waypoint navigation, but it does give you a lot of extra info after a session.

Version 1.7 out now

Fixed a bug in the Tack and gybe angle calculator, and the tack and gybe number calculator.... these are now working correctly.

Tack / Gybe angle calculator  uses your GPS track from 6 to 16 seconds before turning into wind, until speed is decreasing and track is steady after turning through wind

Version 1.9.1  of the APP out now.....Updates : Waypoint navigation enabled, live tack and gybe angle + vibration displayed on watch realtime, end of session summary on the watch, tack calculator tweaked

Please Rate......

https://apps.garmin.com/en-US/apps/1980c826-844a-47f7-9ca8-ffc0e09ba2ba

Course waypoint list for racing to be enabled shortly

Version 2.0 complete

Full waypoint Nav and Course routes, auto waypoint up when within 100 meters.

• Downvote 1

I have not tried the sail racer app yet. I am generally happy with the Garmin race app. I did also download and play with the data fields in the boating app, they don't appear to work with the sailing race app. 

Some things I like with Garmin

Ability to sync up and down quickly on prestart to any minute

Fast change to countdown to elapsed time 

Solid data download to the phone and web since the app has a slot for racing.

Don't like

Slower updates to speed and angle especially in light air

Lap function. Can disable for some apps, not racing. Tap the back button and you get a new lap. My spray top does that all the time so I have to combine them later.

I have tried a number of apps for biking running etc. They all create a weird activity on the phone since it doesn't have activities for some things. Tried a bike app and got a workout activity on the phone. Does sail race create a sailing activity on the phone?

I will try it out in a few weeks for sure.

I use the raceqs app when the club sets it up, used way less battery on the watch than the phone

4 hours ago, Locus said:

I use the raceqs app when the club sets it up, used way less battery on the watch than the phone

So Race Q's only works when a club sets something up? Can you expound?

It works, but the real value is comparing to other boats after the race. Plus without marks the analysis does not really work, so we only use when the club adds a race and asks for competitors to use 

• Like 1

Glad to know it still works - doesn't look like there has been any development since at least 2015.

No no updates, but we used it in a race last fall, the 505 midwinter's used it in January. Do watch out for the phone app, will kill your battery and melt anything in contact with the phone

20 hours ago, Locus said:

I have not tried the sail racer app yet. I am generally happy with the Garmin race app. I did also download and play with the data fields in the boating app, they don't appear to work with the sailing race app. 

Some things I like with Garmin

Ability to sync up and down quickly on prestart to any minute

Fast change to countdown to elapsed time 

Solid data download to the phone and web since the app has a slot for racing.

Don't like

Slower updates to speed and angle especially in light air

Lap function. Can disable for some apps, not racing. Tap the back button and you get a new lap. My spray top does that all the time so I have to combine them later.

I have tried a number of apps for biking running etc. They all create a weird activity on the phone since it doesn't have activities for some things. Tried a bike app and got a workout activity on the phone. Does sail race create a sailing activity on the phone?

I will try it out in a few weeks for sure.

For comparison with my app:

Ive got live pre start countdown, that you can re-sync at any gun/flag by hitting the start button again.

You can even start without setting the race countdown, and set the countdown minute after and it will adjust the timing on the go.

My data automatically loads to the Garmin connect - same as the boat app, and gives the same data as the garmin boat app, plus number of tacks, best tack angle, number of gybes, best gybe and max speed.  They are also displayed on your watch real time with a vibrate once the tack is complete.

Update rate is once per second - if you use any gamin app and want higher speeds of update -  there is an option to change from Smart GPS tracking to Hi rate which is once per second ( might be in the GPS mode? or power saving features? ), I believe that is any app, and any garmin watch. No lap function with mine - all buttons are used.

When you first run the app, it asks for your activity type, that is then stored for the phone connect summary, it also sets the default minimum tack and gybe speeds.

Sail race if you click start, and stop, then save, will give you an activity in Garmin Connect, same as the other apps.

Battery wise - I've got it on the fenix 6, and using it my battery life went from about 21 days, to 18 days after one session... but gonna depend on your session length and other uses on the watch etc...

Hey dachopper

Sounds good. As is said did download it and plan to give it a try in a few weeks. I can do a compare and contrast, let you know what i like and don't. 

I have played with the GPS update polling and it didn't seem to make a difference in the data stream from the Garmin app. Just used more battery. 

Your battery life on the fenix seems consistent with what I am seeing on the quatix after a 4-8 hour race using the Garmin Racing app. 

I am interested in seeing the tack and jibe count and speeds. 

Thanks. Do you have a donate link on the IQ app? People shouldn't do this for free. :D

No.. but I will eventually, my goal was to get the app working as functionally as possible first.

I checked and for my fenix it's in the power management, called " Smart GPS"  which reduces the poll rate if the watch senses your doiing straight lines without much acceleration. If you change it to high... it is supposed to record a FIT position every 1 second for the app..... It is possible that the watch turns itself back to smart mode as the battery drains, I know I selected HI, and then found the watch back at Smart somehow without input form me

The Tack and Gybe is cool, about 12 - 20 seconds after you tack or gybe, and with a steady heading it will tell you the angle, from about 10 seconds prior to the start of the Tack or gybe, between both of the GPS tracks

On 2/22/2020 at 6:52 AM, dachopper said:

Version 2.0 complete

Full waypoint Nav and Course routes, auto waypoint up when within 100 meters.

How do I use waypoints in Sail Racer? I select Waypoints then select either Steer/Add/Edit WPT and it just sends me back to Waypoint. Fenix 5X. The datafield works fine with waypoints as it allows me to select my saved Garmin waypoints.

2 minutes ago, DWD said:

How do I use waypoints in Sail Racer? I select Waypoints then select either Steer/Add/Edit WPT and it just sends me back to Waypoint. Fenix 5X. The datafield works fine with waypoints as it allows me to select my saved Garmin waypoints.

Never mind. I thought I had updated to 2.0, but hadn't. Now updated and it's working.

Have you considered open sourcing the code?  I’d contribute a port to Forerunner x45 devices (pretty trivial) and could potentially bring over the tides view and other views from my app. 

It would be better to consolidate work and I like your approach of doing it in a data field.  It looks like you have more time for this project right now than me too... 

This aint the data field anymore, it's a full on app. The waypoint nav is my own code, but im not a programmer by trade, just a sailor who wanted something unavailable, so taught myself and here we are.ive got 1 final module to add.... for the kitesurfers mainly , jump height. But it's tricky.

On 2/25/2020 at 12:26 PM, dachopper said:

I think the current version...2.4 is now bug free... 

seems to work well on my Forerunner 645 Music.

I really like the way you've set up the race timer ... just hit the record button when the horn sounds, go back in and change the countdown time if needed.  i'm not sure there's another app where i can see the countdown, the time of day, and the bearing to the first waypoint all on one screen.  and really like the vibration countdown as well.

I like the ability to enter waypoints from the watch, but it would take for ever to put in even a short list of waypoints ... is it possible to set up an import from a phone, etc?

and i'm trying not to be greedy, but would you consider a function in the main menu to shift from true to magnetic with a user-input variation?

14 hours ago, Osprey05 said:

seems to work well on my Forerunner 645 Music.

I really like the way you've set up the race timer ... just hit the record button when the horn sounds, go back in and change the countdown time if needed.  i'm not sure there's another app where i can see the countdown, the time of day, and the bearing to the first waypoint all on one screen.  and really like the vibration countdown as well.

I like the ability to enter waypoints from the watch, but it would take for ever to put in even a short list of waypoints ... is it possible to set up an import from a phone, etc?

and i'm trying not to be greedy, but would you consider a function in the main menu to shift from true to magnetic with a user-input variation?

I could add a magnetic shift to the track, so far the other bearings that it gives you get like angle off... are not true or magnitic, they are the actual degrees left / right of where you are going.

The waypoint list was a giant enigma for me, and I came to the conclusion that waypoints entered into the garmin connect app, are for garmin activities only. there might be something that can happen on a website, or in the App''s activity settings, but for now people will need to manually enter their racing marks once in the watch,  and then they are stored for ever.

thanks for the feedback.... I'll put a Mag Var option in there shortly