Sign in to follow this  
Tricky Trend

Best way to cool the boat when it's locked up?

I have a Rogers catamaran that is foam sandwich construction.  I am in South East Queensland and when the boat is locked up it gets insanely hot.

Can anyone suggest the best way to vent the hot air?  Dorado? Solar vent?  In the roof?  

Any advise is appreciated.  Thanks.

I put a couple of axial computer type fans under some Vetus vents. The run 24/7 and have since 2009 off the house battery. Solar panels keep the batteries charged.

We have a solar vent in the head and one on the aft deck venting the area under the cockpit and the engine compartment.  Doesn't do much to move air and little to keep it cool.  Even when it's cool here, the cabin still gets warm and stuffy. 

If your weather is anything like Florida's, I can't think of anything short of AC to actually cool the interior.

I've had good luck with a solar powered fan to push the hot air out. I've used the Marinco Day/Night which is published at moving 1,000 cubic feet an hour or 28 cubic meters and hour. I don't think it moved that much air but it did keep it cool. I estimate it would exchange out the cabin air at least 3-5 times per day. Just make sure there is a vent elsewhere so outside air can get in.  I made the top panel for the hatch access louvered with a screen behind it so air could get in but insects and animals stayed out. 

A lot of window space there. Presumably you have roll down fabric sun screens when boat  not in use. I put a couple of damp rid canisters in cabin to try and keep humidity down.

I have a Catana in the southern US (humid and hot).  My solutions: shade(hatch and window covers); open ports for ventilation.

The large salon windows have Phifertex Plus covers, and slipped under them are panels of Reflectix. I have Reflectix cut to fit all portlights. I have small opening ports in the forward inboard bows and in the heads aft, and those are left open to allow airflow. 

I never left food aboard when I was not onboard full time, and I did not have any critters except one rat that showed up when a restaurant opened nearby, and I got him within 24h of his arrival.

Another solution I’ve seen is an RV roof vent