Sign in to follow this  
Ed Lada

Freedom Of and Freedom From Religion

This shit makes me sick.  Another straw man issue to rally the base.  Issuing 'guidelines', big deal.  

Trump is amoral and doesn't give a shit about religion.  Religion is not under attack in the US it never was and it isn't now.  .  I bet Pence is behind this dog and pony show to make America a Christian theocracy.

The courts keep on bending the 1st Amendment to allow religion top  creep into the State.  Where will it end?

It's funny how they get all bent out of shape about Muslims in burkas, etc., but if your a Christian, anything goes.  How about that shit.

It's the Art of the Deal.  Give Trump what he wants and he'll give you what you want.

oh FFS, I am not watching a video with that cunt Betsy   in it.................

17 minutes ago, dacapo said:

oh FFS, I am not watching a video with that cunt Betsy   in it.................

She wisely kept her mouth shut.

There is no 'attack' on religion.  There is only religion attacking other people.

Let's keep this simple.  Religion, like diet (vegans, etc) is a personal decision.  Practicing your religion (vegans, etc) does NOT mean you need to tell other people about it.  Unfortunately, part of almost every religion is the ideal of pushing that religion on others.  And there are a ton of self-absorbed nanny-know-it-alls that absolutely love the idea of making everyone else do what they think is best.

So people who disagree get labeled 'attacking', when what they really want the most is for the followers of religion just to leave everyone else alone.  Go pray to your magical sky fairies and leave everyone else in peace.  If your religion fails without your evangelizing it to everyone you meet, well then it kinda sucked balls to begin with didn't it.  Tell your sky fairies to work harder at convincing people.

Note:  The word 'YOU' refers to every single person, family or otherwise, who has sent me preachy letters, preachy christmas cards, talked preachy to me, or has ever gone door to door talking about your religion.  I'm glad you decided at 45 years old that by believing in Sky Fairies you've been 'saved' and won't burn for eternity.  Now kindly fuck off.

• Like 5

The guideline update is pandering pure and simple.  The only attack on religion I see is every religion attacking each other.  

24 minutes ago, Swimsailor said:

The guideline update is pandering pure and simple.  The only attack on religion I see is every religion attacking each other.  

This is exactly why we have "freedom of religion." At the time of the founding of the United States, there were a bunhc of different religions, a dozen of which had quite strong political power in their area. But none was strong enough, nor did the state reps feel strongly enough about their religion to make it paramount over practical considerations, to insist on one single religion for the whole USA.

It wasn't because they wisely agreed to separate church and state (except for Franklin and Jefferson). It was because they didn't want a religious civil war.

It turned out to be a good decision.

If we can keep it.

- DSK

33 minutes ago, Swimsailor said:

So was the girl from Texas lying when she said he principal told her not to pray in school?

2 minutes ago, Dog said:

So was the girl from Texas lying when she said he principal told her not to pray in school?

Try again dog.  Ask a legitimate question.

12 minutes ago, Dog said:

Probably not, but then, she doesn't go to school to pray. She goes to school to learn.

If the principal told her that, he was just as correct to do so, as her preacher would be in telling her not to study algebra in church.

- DSK

7 minutes ago, Grrr... said:

Try again dog.  Ask a legitimate question.

I don't know what you mean by "legitimate question"?  How's this:

Are students being told not to pray in school?

Just now, Steam Flyer said:

Probably not, but then, she doesn't go to school to pray. She goes to school to learn.

If the principal told her that, he was just as correct to do so, as her preacher would be in telling her not to study algebra in church.

- DSK

Don't we have a right to pray in school or study algebra in church?

Just now, Dog said:

You can pray anywhere, any time.

What you CAN'T do, and what you do not have the right to do, is to disturb others with your prayer.

That means silently, or go some place out of sight/earshot of others.

Do you want your kid to grow up stupid because his studying in school was constantly interrupted by other kids praying in class? Do you want to pay taxes for kids to go to school to be proselytized?

The problem here is that the people who insist on their religion above all are trampling the rights of others.

- DSK

4 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

You can pray anywhere, any time.

What you CAN'T do, and what you do not have the right to do, is to disturb others with your prayer.

That means silently, or go some place out of sight/earshot of others.

Do you want your kid to grow up stupid because his studying in school was constantly interrupted by other kids praying in class? Do you want to pay taxes for kids to go to school to be proselytized?

The problem here is that the people who insist on their religion above all are trampling the rights of others.

- DSK

How does this comport w/folks who feel the need to make some kind of public statement in school?  Is their right to make that statement constrained by the same standard of "it's OK as long as it doesn't disturb others"? 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, A guy in the Chesapeake said:

How does this comport w/folks who feel the need to make some kind of public statement in school?  Is their right to make that statement constrained by the same standard of "it's OK as long as it doesn't disturb others"? 

Disturbing a class? Not sure anyone is allowed to just stand up and start making "statements."

Stand in the corner of the lunchroom and wave a banner? knock yourself out.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, A guy in the Chesapeake said:

First amendment doesn't work the same for minor students that it does for adults.  SCOTUS says so.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, A guy in the Chesapeake said:

Beyond learning math/science/literature/etc., what is the objective of sending children to school? Is part of it encouraging civic participation, or maybe critical thinking? You seem to be equating religious proselytizing to social engagement.  Is making a public statement calling for a social remedy the same as reciting the lords prayer?

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, A guy in the Chesapeake said:

Well, do you have the right to make some kind of public statement? We have freedom of speech, and of the press, but there are obviously limits on the right to intrude on others, and to interrupt public functions.

Also "freedom of speech" does NOT give anyone the right to force others to listen.

- DSK

7 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

Well, do you have the right to make some kind of public statement?

Not in class, and not outside of class if teachers or school officials deem it disruptive.  When officials get in trouble is when their obvious problem is the prayer and not the disruption.

Again, the First Amendment doesn't apply to minor students in schools the way it does to everyone else in a government building.   

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, MR.CLEAN said:
13 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

Well, do you have the right to make some kind of public statement?

Not in class, and not outside of class if teachers or school officials deem it disruptive.  When officials get in trouble is when their obvious problem is the prayer and not the disruption.

Again, the First Amendment doesn't apply to minor students in schools the way it does to everyone else in a government building.   

But I thought the Supremes had ruled that the First applies to advertising? I have this really cool ice-cream flavored vaping product that I want to advertise in schools, so I have a scheme to hire kids to stand up in class and tell everybody how cool it is.

What, I can't do that? What are you, some kind of goddam commie?

- DSK

39 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

But I thought the Supremes had ruled that the First applies to advertising?

I know your post was toungue in cheek but taking the chance to educate people a bit more, I'll answer.

Yes the 1st applies to advertising - called 'commercial speech' by the courts - but commercial speech is subject to more regulation than non-commercial speech.  For instance, states or feds can ban misleading commercial speech, or ban certain types of commercial speech for products that can be dangerous - cigarette ads at sporting events, for instance - that you could never do with non-commercial speech.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Grrr... said:

There is no 'attack' on religion.  There is only religion attacking other people.

Let's keep this simple.  Religion, like diet (vegans, etc) is a personal decision.  Practicing your religion (vegans, etc) does NOT mean you need to tell other people about it.  Unfortunately, part of almost every religion is the ideal of pushing that religion on others.  And there are a ton of self-absorbed nanny-know-it-alls that absolutely love the idea of making everyone else do what they think is best.

So people who disagree get labeled 'attacking', when what they really want the most is for the followers of religion just to leave everyone else alone.  Go pray to your magical sky fairies and leave everyone else in peace.  If your religion fails without your evangelizing it to everyone you meet, well then it kinda sucked balls to begin with didn't it.  Tell your sky fairies to work harder at convincing people.

Note:  The word 'YOU' refers to every single person, family or otherwise, who has sent me preachy letters, preachy christmas cards, talked preachy to me, or has ever gone door to door talking about your religion.  I'm glad you decided at 45 years old that by believing in Sky Fairies you've been 'saved' and won't burn for eternity.  Now kindly fuck off.

Fundamentalist Christianity is not so simple, since they methodically pick and chose which parts of reality are real.   Geology is taboo if it conflicts with their understanding of the bible.  Evolution is taboo.   History needs to be viewed through a Christian lens.   Schools that try to teach these things as facts are therefore against Christianity and interfere with their freedom to be idiots.    Even a NASA museum becomes a controversial political event when accompanied by devout Christians horrified that the taxpayer is paying to corrupt their precious children with alternate views of how the planets formed, or suggestions the sun came first, or worse yet, the earth formed from old stardust when they know there was no light.   Anything in conflict with their views are lies, designed to tempt them into damnation.  

Fundamentalist Islam is likely equally challenging, but I've only met enlightened Muslims engaged in the sciences.   

1 hour ago, MR.CLEAN said:

First amendment doesn't work the same for minor students that it does for adults.  SCOTUS says so.

If memory serves, that would have come up when they were Tinkering around....

2 hours ago, Dog said:

Ok.  That one isn't loaded with your usual dishonesty.  So let's answer it.

Yes, in some cases I'm sure they have been told that.  Is it 'an attack on religion'?  No.  It's not.  There isn't some evil conspiracy among educators to remove religion from children's lives.  There's simply some misguided educators who need to have the rules explained to them.

You might as well say there's an attack on fashion because educators hold some students to absurd dress codes.  Or an attack on hair braiders because students may have to adhere to certain hair lengths.

On the other hand, the concerted effort by religion to restrict personal rights in the country IS certainly worthy of being called an attack by those who simply want to be left alone.  So screw you and your dishonest questions dog.  Go piddle on someone else's floor.

3 minutes ago, Grrr... said:
2 hours ago, Dog said:

Ok.  That one isn't loaded with your usual dishonesty.  So let's answer it.

Yes, in some cases I'm sure they have been told that.  Is it 'an attack on religion'?  No.  It's not.  There isn't some evil conspiracy among educators to remove religion from children's lives.  There's simply some misguided educators who need to have the rules explained to them.

You might as well say there's an attack on fashion because educators hold some students to absurd dress codes.  Or an attack on hair braiders because students may have to adhere to certain hair lengths.

On the other hand, the concerted effort by religion to restrict personal rights in the country IS certainly worthy of being called an attack by those who simply want to be left alone.  So screw you and your dishonest questions dog.  Go piddle on someone else's floor.

Does one teacher/administrator, or even a dozen of them, telling a student not to pray an "attack on religion"?

Besides, we are speaking about this incident with, at best, a vague notion of what transpired.  What were the details?  Was this a good Christian girl who was prevented from worshipping the one true God by some heathen?  Or, was this a Muslim who was rightfully stopped from disrupting the orderly operation of a school by praying?

2 hours ago, Dog said:

You really didn't need to type that first sentence.  We all know you struggle to construct a sentence that doesn't contain some type of shitty ginned up innuendo, strawman, or false equivalency.  It's kinda your 'thing'.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, MR.CLEAN said:
21 minutes ago, Bus Driver said:

If memory serves, that would have come up when they were Tinkering around....

very good counselor

https://www.oyez.org/cases/1968/21

In becoming a Department Head, I was required to take a School Law class.  The only place it was offered that year was at the University of Maryland School of Law.  There was little old me, public school teacher, sitting in a class of approximately 30 law students.  Talk about feeling like a fish out of water.  Turned out to be one of the best classes I ever took.  Sure opened my eyes to what we are legally permitted to do.  More importantly, what we are NOT legally permitted to do (but continues because no one has ever challenged it).

What was really awesome was when we discussed Brown v Board.  The school where I teach was the first high school south of the Mason/Dixon line to integrate, and did so in 1952 (2 years before Brown).  That came from a lawsuit against the school board to admit blacks to a prestigious school.  The board was trying to create a "separate but equal" program in all-black school.  None other than Thurgood Marshall argued on behalf of the students, leading to his appearance a few years later in the Brown case.  Many of the students who were interested in pursuing Civil Rights Law wound up coming to our school, researching in the archives, and interviewing the first young men of color to be admitted.  Touching history, as it were.

• Like 6

That's a very cool story about the kind of thing that creates lifelong people of passion. Good stuff.

1 hour ago, Grrr... said:

Ok.  That one isn't loaded with your usual dishonesty.  So let's answer it. If you would cite an example of my dishonesty it might demonstrate the you are not the one being dishonest.

Yes, in some cases I'm sure they have been told that.  Is it 'an attack on religion'?  No.  It's not.  There isn't some evil conspiracy among educators to remove religion from children's lives.  There's simply some misguided educators who need to have the rules explained to them. Isn't explaining the rules exactly what the guidance document does?

On the other hand, the concerted effort by religion to restrict personal rights in the country IS certainly worthy of being called an attack by those who simply want to be left alone.  So screw you and your dishonest questions dog.  Go piddle on someone else's floor. Grow up

4 hours ago, Dog said:

Studying algebra in church ain’t very judo-Christian 

just more stupid pandering to the victim hood of people like agitc and dog by trump

3 hours ago, Mismoyled Jiblet. said:

just more stupid pandering to the victimhood of people like dog

So why do you do it?

Put the fools on ignore.

14 hours ago, Dog said:

time to play ring around the rosie with the ass-backwards contrarian reich-wing shithead..ahem; schools are institutions of learning, to be told to 'pray' on your own time the fk out of school isn't unreasonable. call it being professional on the school's part and being focused on the student's part.

fkn' bloody righties...smh all day long.

16 hours ago, Jules said:

It's the Art of the Deal.  Give Trump what he wants and he'll give you what you want.

I’d say, give Trump what he wants, and he’ll give you what he wants.

• Like 1

You'll notice that these regs only apply to PUBLIC schools & Universities 

The 600 religious unis and thousands of K-12 schools are free to 

discriminate against non-believers or those who do not follow the dogma. 

Nor are they expected to respect the academic freedom of those who are not favored. 

Lots of these "schools" get big time support from taxpayers. 

Stunning hypocrisy 

49 minutes ago, AJ Oliver said:

Nor are they expected to respect the academic freedom of those who are not favored. 

Stunning hypocrisy 

I dunno about stunning. This administration is built on hypocrisy that once would be condemned by any rational person. Just look at Lindsey Graham, for instance. Now it's just SNAFU.

12 hours ago, Amati said:
On 1/17/2020 at 9:49 AM, Jules said:

You're both wrong.

Give Trump what he wants, and he won't give you a damn thing. But he might leave you alone for a while

- DSK

9 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:
13 hours ago, Amati said:
On 1/17/2020 at 9:49 AM, Jules said:

You're both wrong.

Give Trump what he wants, and he won't give you a damn thing. But he might leave you alone for a while

No.  If Trump wants something he'll keep crying until he gets it.  Then he'll want more.  And more.  And more...

• Like 2

6 hours ago, AJ Oliver said:

Stunning hypocrisy 

Is this stunning hypocrisy a new thing in the last three years or been around for a while?

4 hours ago, Gissie said:

Is this stunning hypocrisy a new thing in the last three years or been around for a while?

It has been brought to new heights in the Trump maladministration.

a529ca9c-7e73-4b31-a56f-39dadf3fa509.jpe

3 minutes ago, Ishmael said:

It has been brought to new heights in the Trump maladministration.

a529ca9c-7e73-4b31-a56f-39dadf3fa509.jpe

Maybe, but we're these schools that the cry of hypocrisy about funded before this administration. Or is only hypocrisy when Trump does it. Will the hypocrisy stop if the dem candidate wins and doesn't stop it immediately?

Just need to know when to be outraged. Gets tiring trying to keep up.

On 1/18/2020 at 3:00 AM, Dog said:

I suspect there is more to the story.

On 1/18/2020 at 3:14 AM, Dog said:

Probably not, they are probably told they can't pray where they'll be inconveniencing others.

And though it was resolved a year ago. Trump brings it up as if it were news :rolleyes:

I suspect she may have been told she can't gather in the canteen while others are eating, and conduct a prayer meeting there, or in the classrooms or library while others are working. There's places in schools where students can do their thing and those who don't care to listen can move away. they are called shared spaces. She was very careful not to give any information that can be checked.

1 hour ago, Shortforbob said:

There's places in schools where students can do their thing and those who don't care to listen can move away.

That's right. We used to smoke & play cards during the lunch break. Those who didn't like the smoke didn't join the card game.

FKT

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Shortforbob said:

I suspect there is more to the story.

That was what I was thinking in Post #25.  I did a quick search, (incorrectly) assuming the case Dog is referring to would be obvious.  It isn't.  I was hoping Dog would share the story of the girl he mentioned.  So far, he hasn't.  My guess is we will find out the girl was being a jerk about praying aloud, or disturbing others in a similar fashion and was told to "knock it off".

As a teacher in a public school for 24 years, I can assure you kids pray.  Some bow their heads at lunch and offer thanks for food.  Others pray in a hushed tone before a quiz/test.  Some gather in a circle, join hands, and offer praise.  At just about every dinner function involving schools, someone offers a prayer before eating.  I am certain there are other examples that escape my notice.  Claiming prayer isn't allowed in schools is bullshit. 

Schools aren't allowed to compel prayer, and that is what pisses off these turbo-Christians.

1 hour ago, Bus Driver said:

That was what I was thinking in Post #25.  I did a quick search, (incorrectly) assuming the case Dog is referring to would be obvious.  It isn't.  I was hoping Dog would share the story of the girl he mentioned.  So far, he hasn't.  My guess is we will find out the girl was being a jerk about praying aloud, or disturbing others in a similar fashion and was told to "knock it off".

As a teacher in a public school for 24 years, I can assure you kids pray.  Some bow their heads at lunch and offer thanks for food.  Others pray in a hushed tone before a quiz/test.  Some gather in a circle, join hands, and offer praise.  At just about every dinner function involving schools, someone offers a prayer before eating.  I am certain there are other examples that escape my notice.  Claiming prayer isn't allowed in schools is bullshit. 

Schools aren't allowed to compel prayer, and that is what pisses off these turbo-Christians.

Most of those stories were bull shit.  Some of the kids complained of harassment or being threatened, there are already plenty of rules against that in schools. It doesn't have to be about religion, that behavior isn't allowed period.

Did you wonder how they even picked those people to invite them to the WH.  They probably asked every Congress person in red states to canvass their constituency for sob stories and the best story won an all expense paid trip to meet the President and cry in front of the cameras.  Nothing but a fucking dog and pony show, like many of these Trump events.

The big tip off.  No matter who appears with the orange turd, be it someone in his cabinet or some dumb fuck off of the street, in almost every case they tell Trump ""Thank you for your leadership." or "Thanks to your leadership."  Always in those words.   I am sure they are coached and everyone is told that they must use that phrase of they won't get that selfie afterward with the POTUS, or in the case of anyone in his administration, they will get fired.

And Betsy couldn't even bother to remember the boy's name.

1 hour ago, Shortforbob said:

Do you really think she cared?

On 1/17/2020 at 11:14 AM, Dog said:

5th grade me: "Oh please god! Don't let Mr. Palmer call on me to solve the math problem on the chalkboard! PLEASE! I have a raging boner, and Collette DeLabray and Sheila Cullins are in the front row! PLEASE GOD!"

(He didn't hear my prayers, and I abandoned him after that day, for good)

Prayer is the only way some of us got through school.

”Dear God, please let me pass this history test and I promise I will study for the next one.”

On 1/19/2020 at 8:14 AM, Bus Driver said:

Just wondering if @Dog would care to come back and share a bit more information as to which girl, and which school, so we can determine if there is sufficient reason for his outrage.

On 1/19/2020 at 3:54 PM, Ed Lada said:
On 1/19/2020 at 2:53 PM, Shortforbob said:

Do you really think she cared?

If he owed one of her debt servicing companies she would have cared.

19 minutes ago, Bus Driver said:

Just wondering if @Dog would care to come back and share a bit more information as to which girl, and which school, so we can determine if there is sufficient reason for his outrage.

16 minutes ago, Dog said:
37 minutes ago, Bus Driver said:

Is that a no, you can't give us the cite?

59 minutes ago, Dog said:

Nowhere in Post #8 does the information I requested appear (bolded).

Based on the information you've provided, this is what a Google search turns up.

I still want to know more about the circumstances surrounding her praying.  If she was disturbing others, or creating a distraction, the school is free to restrict that.  SCOTUS says so.

1 hour ago, Dog said:

Running away again?

Why not just lie some more? You've had plenty of practice. Make up some shit that makes libby-rulls and anti-Christians sound really terrible. Like: The war on Christianity has progressed to where liberals are openly advocating Satanic child sacrifice in school. Oh wait, that won't work, that makes it sound like prohibiting religious rituals in schools is a good thing...

- DSK

27 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

Running away again?

Why not just lie some more? You've had plenty of practice. Make up some shit that makes libby-rulls and anti-Christians sound really terrible. Like: The war on Christianity has progressed to where liberals are openly advocating Satanic child sacrifice in school. Oh wait, that won't work, that makes it sound like prohibiting religious rituals in schools is a good thing...

- DSK

To a lot of "Christians", requiring organized prayer to the one true God while prohibiting any discussion of other religion and science, is a good thing.

20 hours ago, Steam Flyer said:

Running away again?

- DSK

Speaking of making up shit. Not very self aware are you.

On 1/20/2020 at 4:25 PM, Mrleft8 said:

5th grade me: "Oh please god! Don't let Mr. Palmer call on me to solve the math problem on the chalkboard! PLEASE! I have a raging boner, and Collette DeLabray and Sheila Cullins are in the front row! PLEASE GOD!"

(He didn't hear my prayers, and I abandoned him after that day, for good)

Hah! That's blasphemous but hilarious.

Were either of the ladies impressed with your display?

47 minutes ago, Plenipotentiary Tom said:

Hah! That's blasphemous but hilarious.

Were either of the ladies impressed with your display?

And then you discovered raging boners are well liked by the girls.

On 1/21/2020 at 10:19 AM, Bus Driver said:

Nowhere in Post #8 does the information I requested appear (bolded).

Based on the information you've provided, this is what a Google search turns up.

I still want to know more about the circumstances surrounding her praying.  If she was disturbing others, or creating a distraction, the school is free to restrict that.  SCOTUS says so.

Helllllloooooo?  @Dog - are you there?  You seem to avoid questions and requests for cites/info.

Paula White, a White House employee and Trump's spiritual advisor, calls for 'satanic pregnancies to miscarry right now'

https://www.yahoo.com/news/paula-white-white-house-employee-002025252.html
The inmates are in charge of the asylum. Is there anyone working for this administration who isn’t evil or bat shit crazy?

8 hours ago, jerseyguy said:

Paula White, a White House employee and Trump's spiritual advisor, calls for 'satanic pregnancies to miscarry right now'

https://www.yahoo.com/news/paula-white-white-house-employee-002025252.html
The inmates are in charge of the asylum. Is there anyone working for this administration who isn’t evil or bat shit crazy?

"Taken out of context."   

Yeah, that's a wonderful defense.  I wonder if she will enlighten us as to what the context was then.

What has the country become when this kind of shit happens?

"I'm just a soul whose intentions are good, oh lord please don't let me be misunderstood."  :lol: