Snatch Block

Suggested 30' Boats for Short Handed Long Distance Racing

I have a budget between $20000 - $30000 for a boat around 30'.
Single or Double handed, longer distance racing.
PHRF range between 80-115
Here's My List:

Olson 30 - Lots of them around
Hobie 33 -  
Henderson 30 - Probably alot to handle
Mumm (Farr) 30 Probably alot to handle
Nelson Marek 30 - MORC
J-27. J-29, J-30 J-80...I like my J's
Flying Tiger 10M - Probably alot to handle
Admiralty 30 - looks like a skinny but fun boat

Comments and or suggestions of other boats to consider?
Thanks

As a past owner of a Farr 30, I'd say it's too much to handle for a single person in anything but very light conditions. Not that it's impossible, just beyond what's considered fun by most humans. Based on specs and other posts, the H30 and FT10 are probably even harder to single hand.

Also owned a J29. Great boat and doable single handed, but the 155 jib makes for slow tacks. Great for double handing though. Frac rig is your best best because of the smaller fore triangle. J30 is also a good choice but out of the rating band.

The Olson 30 has done a single handed Transpac and other distance races. Also consider an Olson 911. Way more comfortable than the above boats, but just misses your rating band.

Antrim 27, bull 7000, Freedom 30 or 32...

The admiralty 30 is going to be really uncomfortable for long distance racing and may not be able to be brought up to the appropriate OSR. For that matter, a J105 is a good offshore shorthanded boat, just a bit above your budget - they start around $38k and go up, but they will handle nearly anything you throw at them. You could go the other way and go J80, the ergonomics is pretty easy to set up for shorthanded.

O30 is probably the way to go...interior is a dungeon thus no points will be scored with my bride.

No matter how much you do to tart it up...it will always be an armpit

Was also looking at a Carrera 290.

Kind of an odd duck, low freeboard, decks are angled away thus you always feel like your about to fall off.

Olson 911S or Capo 30 (similar/same boats, different builders).  Standing headroom and offshore capability.  Your bride will love you for it.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Snatch Block said:

Was also looking at a Carrera 290.

Kind of an odd duck, low freeboard, decks are angled away thus you always feel like your about to fall off.

Quick but otherwise a very very wet boat. They do well off the wind and in the light.

4 hours ago, Irrational 14 said:

Quick but otherwise a very very wet boat. They do well off the wind and in the light.

Also needs a lot of meat on the rail to make one go in anything but light conditions.   Thus, not so hot for short/single handing.

- Stumbling

Part of me wants a zippy Henderson 30, Flying Tiger 10m but common sense tells me to smarten up.

3 hours ago, Snatch Block said:

Part of me wants a zippy Henderson 30, Flying Tiger 10m but common sense tells me to smarten up.

Fun to sail.  Not fun to race shorthanded, and not fun at all offshore.  

19 hours ago, Roleur said:

Olson 911S or Capo 30 (similar/same boats, different builders).  Standing headroom and offshore capability.  Your bride will love you for it.

There's one on Latitude for $30k...

On 1/20/2020 at 12:32 PM, Pokey uh da LBC said:

The Olson 30 has done a single handed Transpac and other distance races. 

Funny I was talking to a guy the other day who was talking about how they established a fleet of Olson 30s on Kauai. Basically they would find Transpac finishers and offer to buy the boats for cheap - better option than shipping or sailing them back to California...

On 1/19/2020 at 3:41 PM, Snatch Block said:

Here's My List:

22 hours ago, Snatch Block said:

O30 is probably the way to go...interior is a dungeon thus no points will be scored with my bride.

No matter how much you do to tart it up...it will always be an armpit

What does your local fleet(s) look like? Canada is a pretty vast area. Getting a boat somewhat similar to what's in your area has some positive network effects. Express 27 and Moore 24 would be good options in my area.

If you are bringing the Admiral on regularly... I would say get the J/29, possibly J/27. If you get the right boat they have a somewhat homey interior which is going to entice repeat visits to the boat.

I played this game three years ago with the wife and with a slightly larger budget, ended up with the J/105 because of the interior and ability to maybe go do a hawaii race someday. J/80 mechanically is very similar (and a lot easier to single/double-hand) but the interior is still a Deluxe Armpit++

That said, the wife likes the boat and as a result we clock ~22 regatta weekends a year on the boat together. I do not see a lot of skippers out sailing with their better halves (for a variety of reasons) so I would weight the interior pretty heavily if sailing with the bride is an important factor for you.

• Like 1

I must apologize to JoelGreatLakes who had virtually the same forum request - Shorthanded Offshore Trailerable Boat Suggestions: See Criteria

I missed seeing it and sort of "hijacked" it as my Forum Request was similar.

Buy you a beer?

4 hours ago, Snatch Block said:

I must apologize to JoelGreatLakes who had virtually the same forum request - Shorthanded Offshore Trailerable Boat Suggestions: See Criteria

I missed seeing it and sort of "hijacked" it as my Forum Request was similar.

Buy you a beer?

Ill never argue with a beer! But I had a ramp launch requirement in the list which cut out a lot of great options. 

As someone said, Canada a big place.  So where are you PNW?  Great Lakes?  Canadian Maritimes?  What distances and races are you talking?  Bermuda?  Transpac?  Chi-Mac? or Around the Island type races? 1-2 days?  4-6 days?  10-14 days?

Any other use for the boat?  Day sailing, weekend cruising?  Crewed PHRF beercans?  Or solely long distance/shorthanded work?

Answers to those would help neck down the suggestions to a boat in your area.  

J-30, J-27, J/80 all miss the "slower" end (PHRF 115) of your rating band, so is that rating band more flexible?

J/92. stiffer than J-29 and much stiffer than Olson 30. Sprit, inboard.  Usually have a trailer.  $35,000 US is possible but hard to find.

• Like 1

I'm going to assume you've read "Singlehanded Sailing; Thoughts, Tips, Techniques & Tactics".  This book was written by an O30 singlehander - me.    More O30s have race the SHTP than any other boat.  They do very well, in fact the latest race was won by an O30.

It's a hot boat and is probably the best boat in the world for the money.  And with your budget limit of $30k Canadian, you are very limited in what else you can buy.  Remember that the cost of the boat is only one part of the overall cost, particularly if you are looking at a major race such as the SHTP. 

Located an interesting boat - Nelson Marek 30' (1989) in Ohio.

Mark Lindsey built and then keel modified by Alan Andrews.

All redone (Bottom, hull and tops). Existing owner has done a very nice job on her.

Has the original triple spreader rig, looks like it's never been updated and that could be 

an expensive piece of equipment to do.

It's have numerous owners (8), not sure why so many.

Looks like a sweet boat.

Comments?

Know the boat. Started life as a n/m 30 for MORC racing. It was a dog. Heavily modified by next owner with new rudder and keel by Andrews. Cabin top modified and weight reduced. Successful in PHRF at 87. Boat sold to Chesapeake then Maine. Owner in Maine cut off front of bulb due to catching crab pots. A sprit was fitted at some time. Not sure if it is still there. Boat goes upwind like a banshee and downwind well. Reaching, not so much. Boat has runners.  Mast bend is critical. Needs weight on the rail. Boat looks great but not a good choice for short handed racing. Great w/l buoy boat for someone with talented friends that are slightly overweight.

Are you on the great lakes?  If so I'll throw in another strong endorsement for an Olson 30.  There's a couple of them actively racing in GLSS events.  Fast, light, well put together, and relatively cheap to buy and keep.  And a heck of a lot more fun to solo than a maxi MORC boat IMO.  

I had a similar wish list 18 months ago, but really wanted a diesel inboard, which reduced the field considerably.  I'm a long time J boat fan too.  But if you buy an older one you have to have a plan for dealing with coring deterioration.  

I ended up with an orphan Mount Gay 30.  It's been a great adventure so far, for an old fart.

WRT budget, don't blow it all on the boat.  Think carefully about what's required in the end state for safety, self steering, and sail handling.  Check requirements for the races you are planning to enter.  

I spoke to one of the previous owners of the Nelson Marek 30 and he mentioned something about cavitation 

coming off of the keel. Not sure what the heck that was but now hearing the the modified keel was later modified

makes me wonder.

O30 looks to be top of my list right now.

I was on a Hobie 33 in some 3-5' chop for 5 hours and we got beat up...thinking the Olson 30 may be a similar ride.

2 hours ago, Snatch Block said:

O30 looks to be top of my list right now.

I was on a Hobie 33 in some 3-5' chop for 5 hours and we got beat up...thinking the Olson 30 may be a similar ride.

All boats are a compromise.  Lighter boats like the O30 and Hobie will pound more than a heavier boat like a Maxi MORC boat, BUT any 30-33 footer is going to pound in 3-5' chop, esp if the period is short (like on the lakes)...its more a question of not if, but how badly :D

When single handing or light on crew in summer time winds and chop here, I found adding about 150-200 lbs of ballast, low, close to the center line, and  just aft of the mast base gives my O29  a bit more punching power.  I take it out come the fall and winter.

single and doubled handed racing, Olson 30 or J30

Here's My List:

Hobie 33 -  
Nelson Marek 30 - MORC

Thanks

Have you seriously pursued single or double handed racing with someone else? Some aspects are not for everyone.

As some has asked - Are you stuck of with PHRF boats under 115? There are some advantages to some other boats if you want something with more dynamic sailing or cruising creature comforts.

On 1/24/2020 at 7:20 AM, captain_crunch said:

Has anyone yet suggested an Express 27?

If I could do it over again, it would probably be an E27. Absolutely fantastic boats, highly active class on the West Coast.

Older Figaro 1 

Amazing cockpit ergonomics 

solid glass and built like a tank

rating 105 

not too many in North America (6)

Beneteau 27.might be good too but over the price range and few in North America 

2 I think but could be wrong 

S2 9.1 but it does meet your PHRF numbers

There was an Express 27 that raced solo Chicago Mac and trans Superior last year.  Think he won Superior.  

I looked at his boat at the dock.  Never sailed one, but it looks like a great boat.

8 hours ago, Jeff F said:

There was an Express 27 that raced solo Chicago Mac and trans Superior last year.  Think he won Superior.  

I looked at his boat at the dock.  Never sailed one, but it looks like a great boat.

He did win Superior...by a long shot.

Won his Division in the Chicago Solo Mac (there is no formal overall winner) as well...

Here, near the Express 27 birthplace where most of them still race, they rate 129.

His rated 147.  It IS a great but that's quite a spread.

My J27 single hands very nicely.  On a medium to strong wind day, upwind or reaching, I can usually find a balance point with a couple of bungees on the tiller that allows me to hike on the rail.  It has a comfortable cabin for over nights and stays dry.  It has a big cockpit, but all of the controls are led back to within reach while on the tiller extender.  If I were to single hand cruise most of the time, I would put a sprit on it and run an asym as well as roller furling.  Tending to the symmetrical in over 10-12 is a challenge.  Somewhere I have funny video of me running back and forth on bring a guest who only drinks day.  They thought it was funny.  I thought it an unnecessary work out.  The boat is single point haul and rides nicely on a trailer behind a V8.  The price is well in your wheel house with a suit of new sails.

I am a fan of the O30 too.  If I didn't have this I'd have that.

The 105 would be cool too, but it kinda doesn't match your parameters.  I've thought a lot about how one would set it up for single hand.  The hardest thing would be dousing the chute without an autopilot.  Everything else would be fine.

1 hour ago, PatsyQPatsy said:

The 105 would be cool too, but it kinda doesn't match your parameters.

the 105 matches his parameters except for cost. ok, a little longer than 30'. But why wouldn't you use an ap single-handed?

16 minutes ago, ryley said:

the 105 matches his parameters except for cost. ok, a little longer than 30'. But why wouldn't you use an ap single-handed?

The purest in me likes the no autopilot thing.  I’m not sure that’s even a thing with anyone else. 
With a really long tack line I think you could launch/recover the chute out of the companion way, but it would be messy. 
The 105 is not really friendly on the trailer either. 

I hear you on the purity. The only boat I've ever owned that I could truly sail without an AP for long periods of time was Freedom 40 cat ketch. That thing would track for 40 minutes or more without touching the wheel, I'd just trim a little or change the centerboard draft to keep it balanced. My Freedom 45 will not do that and requires a lot of attention at the helm, either manual or AP, but I can leave the helm long enough to grind a sail in if I need to. The Columbia? yeah.. there's no combination of bungees that'll steer the boat for very long, as I found out last year. 

I didn't realize the OP was looking for something trailerable, but you're right the 105 wouldn't be my first choice if I had to haul it somewhere more than once a year. Otherwise it's a fine boat for offshore work, easy to sail. my friends just doublehanded one in the Chesapeake shorthanded distance challenge last year. With a 105, you're never really going to be surprised by what happens next.

On 1/19/2020 at 6:41 PM, Snatch Block said:

Here's My List:

Hobie 33 -  
Nelson Marek 30 - MORC

Thanks

Just wondering about other requirements like, do you want something already setup? Is this all day racing or overnight or longer? How athletic are you? The Henderson would be a rocket ship especially if you add curling and water ballast.

recent j33 listing in classified looks right up your alley. and a bunch of other folks too i'll bet.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Snatch Block said:

J-33 looks like a nice boat.

PHRF of 84..is that a fair rating?

there's one in mass bay that has been doing very well with that rating. they also have an incredibly talented crew. My observations are that it goes upwind like a rocket.

18 hours ago, Snatch Block said:

Autopilot is totally required...I consider it part of my safety equipment.

Not really.  I don't have it and single hand often and for many years.

19 hours ago, ryley said:

I hear you on the purity. The only boat I've ever owned that I could truly sail without an AP for long periods of time was Freedom 40 cat ketch. That thing would track for 40 minutes or more without touching the wheel, I'd just trim a little or change the centerboard draft to keep it balanced. My Freedom 45 will not do that and requires a lot of attention at the helm, either manual or AP, but I can leave the helm long enough to grind a sail in if I need to. The Columbia? yeah.. there's no combination of bungees that'll steer the boat for very long, as I found out last year. 

I didn't realize the OP was looking for something trailerable, but you're right the 105 wouldn't be my first choice if I had to haul it somewhere more than once a year. Otherwise it's a fine boat for offshore work, easy to sail. my friends just doublehanded one in the Chesapeake shorthanded distance challenge last year. With a 105, you're never really going to be surprised by what happens next.

Upwind, we can balance our 105 out for long periods under bungee.  On the 27 we can hike on the rail until we run out of sea space.  I would suspect your 45 wants to put her nose down and keeping it up into the wind is a challenge.  They seem to have the COE forward in the sail plan.  We think we will do the Chesapeake double-hander this season.  Baseball got in the way this past year.

• Like 1

On 1/24/2020 at 10:20 AM, captain_crunch said:

Has anyone yet suggested an Express 27?

express_27_photo_800wide.jpg

express_27_sailplan.jpg

Man, that is a pretty boat!

1 hour ago, ryley said:

there's one in mass bay that has been doing very well with that rating. they also have an incredibly talented crew. My observations are that it goes upwind like a rocket.

Raced against them on J35's back in the day, they could never keep up, cost the same or more, those boats also have a fair amount issues with soft spots, so check that for sure

Skip the J30.  Rates 144 and requires rail meat to sail to that rating.

I'd  look for an asym boat for shorthanded racing.

2 hours ago, chttrbx said:

Raced against them on J35's back in the day, they could never keep up, cost the same or more, those boats also have a fair amount issues with soft spots, so check that for sure

Given the huge rating difference, they don't need to keep up.  I've seen a super nice J/33 go for under $30k.  

A couple of things....

1.) as my friend solosailor, who has won more shorthanded races than I've even entered, said to me once...

"It's not how fast you can sail. It's how long you can sail, fast".  If you're a balls-to-the-wall racer, then maybe you can make that 100 PHRF ULDB sail to it's potential. And if you're not, then you're sailing a boat which is performing at about PHRF 130 or 140. all these hotshot boats are listed here. Why?  Are you going to be able to be on top of that Henderson 30 24/7? 

2.)  So cover 1,000 miles offshore you need a place/way to eat, a place to sleep, a place/way to cook, a place/way to defecate,  and a place/way to figure out where the hell you are. Everything else is unnecessary BUT...being comfortable tends to make you a whole lot less STUPID than being miserable.  STUPID is bad, BTW.

3.) The ultimate requirement in shorthanded racing is to arrive at the other end. It would be nice, in face very nice to arrive with a smile on your face. However,  if A.) the keel doesn't fall off  B.) the mast doesn't fall down  C.) The rudder doesn't fall off...and you can carry an E-rudder for that.

you WILL get there. You will finish. You might win.

PS: Look VERY closely at the requirements for the events you want to enter.  You could pretty easily spend $3-4K on safety equipment, registration fees and so on.  If you're going to race across an ocean, how are you going to get the boat back from that faraway place?

for example, if you're racing to Hawaii from the West Coast of the USA, you're going to need to budget $8-10K to ship the boat back.

Or sail it back which means another month off of work....and so on.

1 minute ago, Alan H said:

PS: Look VERY closely at the requirements for the events you want to enter.  You could pretty easily spend $3-4K on safety equipment, registration fees and so on.  If you're going to race across an ocean, how are you going to get the boat back from that faraway place?

for example, if you're racing to Hawaii from the West Coast of the USA, you're going to need to budget $8-10K to ship the boat back.

Or sail it back which means another month off of work....and so on.

I think we spent $3,500 to ship our 28 footer back on our trailer in 2016.  Add some if a yard has to derig and haul the boat.  Small boats doing Pac Cup are able to use the yacht club hoist for free, making for a really reasonable transport cost.  

2 minutes ago, Roleur said:

I think we spent $3,500 to ship our 28 footer back on our trailer in 2016.  Add some if a yard has to derig and haul the boat.  Small boats doing Pac Cup are able to use the yacht club hoist for free, making for a really reasonable transport cost.  

SWEET!   I don't know how you scored that deal, but good on ya!  Damn. I'd be tempted to keep my boat if I could figure THAT out.  PM me?

1 minute ago, Alan H said:

SWEET!   I don't know how you scored that deal, but good on ya!  Damn. I'd be tempted to keep my boat if I could figure THAT out.  PM me?

That was with Pasha, shipping out of Honolulu to San Fran.  I know a J/35 came back on the same ship with ours.  We loaded our trailer in Oakland before the start.  If you are thinking SHTP rather than Pac Cup, the shipping should still work out since they are run the same year as Pac Cup and SHTP finishes earlier, giving some time to get the boat to Honolulu.  

2 minutes ago, Roleur said:

That was with Pasha, shipping out of Honolulu to San Fran.  I know a J/35 came back on the same ship with ours.  We loaded our trailer in Oakland before the start.  If you are thinking SHTP rather than Pac Cup, the shipping should still work out since they are run the same year as Pac Cup and SHTP finishes earlier, giving some time to get the boat to Honolulu.  

Clearly I need to make some more phone calls.

3 hours ago, Roleur said:

How much did it cost you to ship the trailer there?  I'd imagine if you add the logistics, fees and trucking it around  and still using the club hoist - I think you are just under 8k ballpark if you are frugal. Few ever are that way. Add the other days of prep and worry on both ends - it will add up to more. And thats if your time is unlimited and you have no one or no work to rush home to.

22 hours ago, Snatch Block said:

J-33 looks like a nice boat.

PHRF of 84..is that a fair rating?

Almost unbeatable 

probably the best PHRF boat out there 

13 hours ago, Black Jack said:

How much did it cost you to ship the trailer there?  I'd imagine if you add the logistics, fees and trucking it around  and still using the club hoist - I think you are just under 8k ballpark if you are frugal. Few ever are that way. Add the other days of prep and worry on both ends - it will add up to more. And thats if your time is unlimited and you have no one or no work to rush home to.

That was the cost.  Included shipping the trailer over and any fees associated with transport each way.  Not sure how you figure a $4,500 adder there.

I thought the PacCup racers were not allowed to use the clubs hoist??    That price seems way lower than most I've heard in the last few years.   I got quoted $8800 for my 31'er in '18.   That was just the shipping, no yard fees, etc.

Maybe we scored a deal? That was the actual bill for 2016.  Not a quote.  

I think roughly 10 boats used the hoist in 2016.  Basically all the boats lighter than and including the Hobie 33's.  

Our 1D35 has been estimated to cost around 18k.  Not for the timid or the frugal skipper. Discussions of sailing it home seemed more reasonable with delivery sails and many cans lashed to the deck.  but if you add up lost wages - yikes!

Any thoughts about increasing $$, and trying to go newer?

Unfortunately, your budget confines you to hull and foil shapes that are oh-so-yesterday.  If money were no object.....Pogo 30- definitely.  That, or the new Sunfast 3300, would my single or doublehanded fantasy boats.

Otherwise, for your budget, as someone posted above- look no further than the Express 27.  

1 hour ago, Rude Dog said:

Unfortunately, your budget confines you to hull and foil shapes that are oh-so-yesterday.  If money were no object.....Pogo 30- definitely.  That, or the new Sunfast 3300, would my single or doublehanded fantasy boats.

Otherwise, for your budget, as someone posted above- look no further than the Express 27.  

Except for the bit about a PHRF between 80-115

Thanks

I beleve (Rude Dog) is correct in saying that my range of boats and budget means I'm  buying into a very old and tired range of boats.

Spend more...maybe ad another $10,000 - $15000 = Boat budget of $40,000 to $45,000.

I'll add my usual suggestion for a boat in the stated: size/price/performance range - Ross 930. https://sailboatdata.com/sailboat/ross-930

Not sure about single handing but likely fine for doublehanding.  Probably need to find one modded with a bulb keel (which most or at least many were)

Very decent interior - definitely cruisable and hits all your targets. 

5 hours ago, Snatch Block said:

I beleve (Rude Dog) is correct in saying that my range of boats and budget means I'm  buying into a very old and tired range of boats.

Spend more...maybe ad another $10,000 - $15000 = Boat budget of $40,000 to $45,000.

Quest 30 may fit the bill 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Rude Dog said:

Older Figaro would work 

• Like 1

How many hours would it take to build like a transat 6.5, if you got a kit?

On 2/16/2020 at 9:35 AM, Snatch Block said:

OH MY GOD!!!!

How can you even THINK about sailing a boat that isn't the absolute latest THING?   <insert roll-eyes here>

Dude, your budget is your budget. Some people on this board think that if you're not sailing an all-carbon whizbang rocketship, then what's even the point of going out there? You can buy into that mentality if you want to, but you know....you're going to miss out on a whole lot of fun.

This isn't Europe. There is no shorthanded One Design or Class like the Figaro's or the Mini's.  Buy a good, solid boat you can afford and go sail. Leave the ranting about how we're all so out of touch with the newest designs to someone else.

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1

that j33 in the ads looks good dude....I hope you have inquired.

the j35 I highlighted previously is good. I don’t know if either still available but

both are interesting. Did you read the spec sheet on Breakaway? Almost March.

4 hours ago, Snatch Block said:

J33 Is a beauty, J35's are sponges and usually full of water.

The 33 is just as likely as the 35 to be wet.  They're essentially the same era and construction as the 35.

I almost bought a 35, and would have preferred the 33 over the 35.  But when I looked at the work/cost involved in owning one and optimizing for SH sailing I couldn't make it work within my budget.  Big boats, big headsails, hard to sail to rating S/H.  IMO the J/105 or J/92 are far better suited out of the box for S/H sailing - smaller headsails, assymetric spinnakers, and less dependent on rail meat.  

I have a friend who has a very nice Thomas 35 for sale on the east coast that would be a good alternative to the J/35 or 33.  Nicely equipped, well kept and seriously for sale.  

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1989/tartan-thomas-3256172/

7 hours ago, Jeff F said:

The 33 is just as likely as the 35 to be wet.  They're essentially the same era and construction as the 35.

I almost bought a 35, and would have preferred the 33 over the 35.  But when I looked at the work/cost involved in owning one and optimizing for SH sailing I couldn't make it work within my budget.  Big boats, big headsails, hard to sail to rating S/H.  IMO the J/105 or J/92 are far better suited out of the box for S/H sailing - smaller headsails, assymetric spinnakers, and less dependent on rail meat.  

I have a friend who has a very nice Thomas 35 for sale on the east coast that would be a good alternative to the J/35 or 33.  Nicely equipped, well kept and seriously for sale.  

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1989/tartan-thomas-3256172/

I always thought those were fine looking boats....

Kinda like a refined and stretched S2 9.1.  Really nice boats, and sensible, crew friendly interior.  Tho the dockside Condo lovers will find it plain...

The vgyd boat looks very nice, like it might sail almost as well as an F31 or any other reasonably decent multhull?  Though the canting keel and daggerboard would seem to add lots of complexity and hard work to the operation.