Ed Lada

Doug From SV Seeker Fakes Head Injury

I know some folks here have commented on the videos about SV Seeker, the 74' origami junk rigged sailboat being built in Tulsa Oklahoma.  

Doug, the guy behind the 'Boat that the internet built' sustained a serious head injury in an explosion in the boat.  

While he is pretty well known for his disdain of people that value safety first, apparently he has payed a price for it.  I don't think it's time for value judgments about that issue.

Below is a video from his partner Betsy, and a guy that was there when the accident occurred, who happened to be making a selfie video outside of the boat at the time of the explosion.  It appears the explosion had something to do with an oxy-acetylene torch, but the details are unknown right now.

There is also a short interview with the neurosurgeon describing the serious head injury that Doug sustained.  Doug sustained some non-life threatening 2nd degree burns but the big concern is severe bleeding in the brain, probably caused by the force of the explosion causing him to strike his head on something inside the boat.

Love him or hate him and his dream boat, you have to admire his spirit, attitude and the effort he has made toward achieving his goal of finishing the boat.  He has attracted a lot of attention and a lot of help in the journey of building the Seeker.  

I have mixed feelings about the project, I've been following the build since the beginning and it's been a long and interesting journey. 

I hope that Doug will fully recover, but seeing the CT of the injury to his brain, it's a very serious situation.  They have promised updates when they can post them.  

• Like 1

That's pretty fucking dramatic, and horrible.

I don't follow the build, but surely wish him well, so that he can finish the project.

Been involved in a bad boom (no pun intended) head injury, and the crew recovered well after surgery. 

Judging by the hoses hanging out of the hull it looks like it was an acetylene explosion.

I've followed The Seeker build for years. I've admired Doug's energy & creativity - he's done things that I wouldn't have even tried because I didn't think it could be done like that. He's amazingly creative WRT problem-solving and his work ethis is phenomenal.

At the same time I've wished he actually knew more engineering but that would have gotten in the way of some of his solutions I guess.

Hope he makes a speedy & full recovery.

FKT

• Like 1

I am not a neurologist or radiologist, or any kind of doctor, but I have spent some time in the medical area and I have worked in 2 trauma centers and have seen these sorts of injuries.  

The CT shown when the neurologist is talking in the video is pretty bad.  In any kind of radiological image, black is air and bright white is bone.  Anything in between indicates structures of various density.  The dark areas left of center are the ventricles, they are cavities full of cerebrospinal fluid (CSF), so they pass the radiation easily and show up as almost black.  The should appear to be symmetric on either side of the midline of the brain, as seen in a normal brain CT below.  The doctor mentioned a midline shift, which means the brain is pushed away from the center line, to the left side in this case, the left and right ventricles are severely compromised, as it looks like they are pushed together over to the left on the one side.   In the normal CT you can see the bone of the skull clearly and a little black airspace all around, just inside of it.  There are sever layers of protective tissue between the brain and the skull and some of the layers are also full of CSF which helps to cushion the brain.  In the CT in the video, all you see is white.  That means the skull is full of blood, not a good thing.  This creates pressure on the brain which needs to be relieved as soon as possible, because the pressure can damage the brain tissue.  The sulci mentioned in the picture below, are the folds of the brain.  They should appear to be approximately similar on both sides.  As you can see in the video, they aren't.  Because of all the bleeding in the brain, it's not clear if the skull sustained a fracture, but a severe fracture might show as a black line, in spite of the bleeding.  All in all the CT indicates a severe brain injury.  There are many more views of the CT available to the doctors, but that one tells a pretty clear story.  The doctor said that Doug is essentially in a coma, an indication of a serious brain injury as well.

The surgery will relieve the pressure, there isn't much else that can be done.  You can't reconstruct damaged brain tissue.  They will remove a piece of the skull, insert some tubes to drain the blood and monitor the pressure on the brain.  The brain will also swell for a time post injury which is why they will leave the skull open to prevent further damage from the pressure of the swelling.  They will try to ameliorate the swelling with steroids and other drugs.  It really a matter of waiting to see how much swelling will occur, and then to determine the extent of the injury.  The trauma of the initial blow and movement can destroy brain tissue and the bleeding deprives the brain of oxygen which can also destroy the brain tissue.  

At best Doug will face a long recovery, he isn't a young guy.  Like many injuries, a severe brain insult is much worse on an old brain than a young one.

The burns are 2nd degree, red skin and blistering, and are of little concern.   The head injury is the problem.

Image result for normal brain ct scan

1 hour ago, SloopJonB said:

Judging by the hoses hanging out of the hull it looks like it was an acetylene explosion.

Not to mention he had a torch igniter in his hand while he was saying that he was going to "make fire" to heat up and bend some pipe.

yikes i didnt watch the dr's part of the video earlier. Sounds very serious. All the best to him and his family, he's a lot of fun to watch.

18 minutes ago, fstbttms said:

Not to mention he had a torch igniter in his hand while he was saying that he was going to "make fire" to heat up and bend some pipe.

I also heard the word "painting"... Oxy-Acetylene would be a great primer for solvent vapors. Might not even need the sparker-thingy.

This a great example of why OSHA has all those pesky rules.

• Like 6

4:35 Showing the massive hematoma and compression of his brain. He's in rough shape. 

No good at all, but herein lies a lesson for welding in confined spaces, its really really fucking dangerous... Any unless you know what you are doing and have proven by the manual work practices then you are literally putting your life at risk.

Just watched the explosion on the vid, horrible, horrifying and too real! Must have been an acetylene leak

2 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

gas compreste  by Ox pressiure = exp.

2 hours ago, fstbttms said:

"..fire"

image.png.1d03372b2696751b1a8efd7d3e5fe72f.png

2 hours ago, toad said:

No good at all, but herein lies a lesson for welding in confined spaces, its really really fucking dangerous... Any unless you know what you are doing and have proven by the manual work practices then you are literally putting your life at risk.

Just watched the explosion on the vid, horrible, horrifying and too real! Must have been an acetylene leak

Yeah - something they drummed into all our heads when I was doing my welding courses and later in life all over again when I was doing my firefighting at sea training. One of the exercises was to snuff out a burning LPG leak, followed by what you do next to get the valve shut off.

I fitted a gas & CO sniffer to my boat before I fitted the stove.

As Doug has sadly found out, flammable/explosive gases really don't give a fuck if you don't believe in good safety practices. They still go bang.

I hope he makes a good recovery & gets his baby launched.

FKT

that's pretty fucked up. what an asshole.

• Like 1

Asswipe is a good actor.   

Being also in the medical field, on the research side, I can say, you wouldn't normally see a doctor doing a YouTube video about a specific case even with permission from the immediate family. If someone publicly shows patient data like images, it would be anonymized and we wouldn't know who the doctor is talking about. So I was thinking, "this is really weird" and sure enough, here we are. Now if you'll excuse me I'm going to go watch Tally Ho and Abom79 and generally other people who actually know what they're doing. 

• Like 4

Hey look - SV Seekers epirb just went off. Don't worry about it. It's just another joke.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Foiling Optimist said:

Being also in the medical field, on the research side, I can say, you wouldn't normally see a doctor doing a YouTube video about a specific case even with permission from the immediate family. If someone publicly shows patient data like images, it would be anonymized and we wouldn't know who the doctor is talking about. So I was thinking, "this is really weird" and sure enough, here we are.

I had the same thought about the doc. part - seemed weird - but I sure never anticipated that it was all just a prank.

I think he lost some viewers with this stunt.

This does raise some existential questions about the HR/FH thread though doesn't it?

I fucking hate practical jokers. Don't they realize that no-one likes them - that no-one finds them remotely amusing?

Well, except for the fuckwads that do them anyway.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Chasbro said:

Hey look - SV Seekers epirb just went off. Don't worry about it. It's just another joke.

nothing funnier than people who take youtubers seriously

• Like 2

Well youtubets aint monolith.

But thered be no way to take rusty junk serious. Dont know this seeker guy

‘Hey I got sawdust in my drink.’

You watch Seeker regularly = don’t take yourself so f’n seriously.

Lemme guess there was some money raised off this hoax so he can continue  to build what looks like a metal scrap in the middle of Oklahoma 

1 hour ago, Foiling Optimist said:

Agreed about practical jokes. They were, are and will be just annoying. This one was cosmically lame.

1 hour ago, Miffy said:

Lemme guess there was some money raised off this hoax so he can continue  to build what looks like a metal scrap in the middle of Oklahoma 

Think we have the winner right here.

Well, that was interesting.  

In one way I get what he was saying in the reveal video and he certainly pissed of some people.  

I guess it's Doug being Doug, I don't think he really cares if people are angry at him.  He's an independent kind of guy and has often said if you don't like what he is doing or don't like him, too bad.  Not too many people are that confident, so I kind of admire that.  On the other hand, I think there is an element of narcissism there.  Doug seems to believe that everybody should be that strong in life and if they aren't too bad for them.  That's kind of a libertarian view in my opinion, that everybody should be able to overcome any obstacle in their way no matter what.  Nice idea, but I don't think it's a realistic one.  I think Doug feels that people have to try no matter what, which is not a bad thing to believe.

I think Doug knows that he would piss of a lot of people, but I don't think he understands that he also hurt a lot of people.  People that believed in him, liked him, followed his story, and then he scared the shit out of them.  They feel betrayed and angry that he treated their feelings this way just to prove a point he has been making all along.  His answer is 'suck it up buttercup', which is a pretty disdainful thing in my opinion.  The narcissism comes in when he staged this very elaborate prank just to show people how they should all share his world view.  That's a lot of work to go through just to send a message that the world is a terrifying and confusing place and you better learn to deal with it.  Everybody copes with life in their own way, some better than others.  Shoving his view down their throats in a way like this, is in my opinion not the best way to send that message. 

Doug will keep building his boat his way, and willingly accepts that some people don't like it.  People have the choice to follow his story or not.  I have a feeling that enough people will still be willing to help and eventually Seeker will get into the water.  Doug will be Doug and nothing is going to change him.  I would be interested to hear his life history, I am pretty sure he had some painful, traumatic experiences early in his life that shaped his views on surviving in this world.

• Like 3

I still admire his drive to get things done, but doing this sort of shit was basically a giant 'fuck you' to a hell of a lot of people.

Karma is a bitch. Hope his boat floats the right way up...

FKT

• Like 1

I'm a hater, hope he never finishes that steel coffin, or that it sinks at the splash.

Just joking... :)

27 minutes ago, Fah Kiew Tu said:

I still admire his drive to get things done, but doing this sort of shit was basically a giant 'fuck you' to a hell of a lot of people.

Karma is a bitch. Hope his boat floats the right way up...

FKT

Did you watch the episode where they weigh the boat in October?  They are already quite a ways over the original estimate of the weight of 50 tons and they keep on adding more.  The actual weight in the video is 55.5 tons.  They now estimate the fully loaded weight will be a little below 70 tons.  I hope the waterline is below the portholes anyway.

Failing that, this is always an entertaining trainwreck to follow. :P

1 hour ago, Ed Lada said:

Did you watch the episode where they weigh the boat in October?  They are already quite a ways over the original estimate of the weight of 50 tons and they keep on adding more.  The actual weight in the video is 55.5 tons.  They now estimate the fully loaded weight will be a little below 70 tons.  I hope the waterline is below the portholes anyway.

No, I stopped watching quite some time ago. Every so often I watch some snippet; as I said he's quite innovative at times. His use of a cheap 3D router to machine his castings of Hundested CP propellor blades was impressive, as is his casting efforts in the first place.

But the boat itself I regard as a disaster. I may be wrong but IMO its framing is inadequate and the design was woeful. If it's seriously overweight I hope that the bulk of the excess weight is at least low down. Bet there's no usable stability calculations.

That sort of thing is why I bought plans off of a reputable designer who was also a boat builder for my boat. I knew I didn't have the design skill/knowledge or eye to do it myself. Sometimes 'how hard can it be' isn't a good approach.  At that size you're talking about a small ship rather than a yacht.

I still hope he brings it off though.

FKT

I’ve been watching since the beginning.  Doug is definitely clever in a lot of ways and does a lot of thinking and research in trying to get this thing built.  That said, there is a fair amount of hubris on display as he goes along.  The fact that he has made it as far as he has, and is in some sense a celebrity, seems to cause him to take a “I know better” approach which often flies in the face of centuries of accumulated knowledge.  He has a disdain for anything considered yachty, so any suggestions that have a whiff of yacht, he figures is BS.  I emailed him a while back about all of the spiky steel dragons that he has at head height down below.  These are the creation of a guy who has never ever been offshore or even in a boat for any real length of time.  I think we can all figure out what is going to happen with his Home Depot pilot house windows.    The weight issue was mentioned above, and this is another glaring example of his hubris.   On the one hand Doug is happy to run a bunch of insightful experiments to sort out a way forward, but he’s then also happy to just wing it when it comes to weight and stability.   At this point, that old bus motor of his is probably half as large as as it needs to be....he’ll he using that a lot more than the uhh sails!

The most impressive thing about Doug and Seeker is how it will basically get completed with free labor.   Once he got a divorce and worked out the free labor model, all of a sudden the boat started to looking it might actually get finished.   This is the one thing I truly admire about Doug....he’s a modern day marine cult leader.  

As far as that prank goes, I think it was in poor taste.  Hopefully he won’t be calling any fake MayDays once he gets on the water.  He’ll definitely get a bump in views for those videos though.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Fah Kiew Tu said:

No, I stopped watching quite some time ago. Every so often I watch some snippet; as I said he's quite innovative at times. His use of a cheap 3D router to machine his castings of Hundested CP propellor blades was impressive, as is his casting efforts in the first place.

But the boat itself I regard as a disaster. I may be wrong but IMO its framing is inadequate and the design was woeful. If it's seriously overweight I hope that the bulk of the excess weight is at least low down. Bet there's no usable stability calculations.

That sort of thing is why I bought plans off of a reputable designer who was also a boat builder for my boat. I knew I didn't have the design skill/knowledge or eye to do it myself. Sometimes 'how hard can it be' isn't a good approach.  At that size you're talking about a small ship rather than a yacht.

I still hope he brings it off though.

FKT

Yes, I agree with you.  Doug is amazingly creative, and does many things without spending a lot of money.  But sometimes I don't think he understand how hostile the marine environment is and cheap won't work.  But I think many of his solutions are adequate.  

He apparently bough the plans from a marine architect, but I am not sure who.  And Doug being Doug might have made some deviations from the plans.  As I said in the earlier post, the boat was designed to be 50 tons gross weight.  I share your concerns about the strength, origami in that size is a bit different than a much smaller craft. The frames they added inside are far from adequate.  There are several bulkheads but I'm not sure that they are enough.  There is quite a bit of lead down in the bilges, I forgot how many tons.  They melted the lead and poured it directly in.

Barring a 'real' devastating accident, I think the boat will make it to the river in Oklahoma.  Whether it will survive the trip to the mouth of the Mississippi will be a good test.  If it actually gets out into the open ocean will be real interesting to see what happens.  He used school bus windows in the pilot house and people commented on the strength, or rather lack of strength.  Doug said if a wave breaks a couple of windows, it's no big deal they will just replace them.  OK then.

I have been hooked on the videos for some time, I will keep watching as long as they make them, I want to see how it all works out.

Y’all have a lot of words to describe antisocial behavior and how you wish you were antisocial. 

8 hours ago, Foiling Optimist said:

Being also in the medical field, on the research side, I can say, you wouldn't normally see a doctor doing a YouTube video about a specific case even with permission from the immediate family. If someone publicly shows patient data like images, it would be anonymized and we wouldn't know who the doctor is talking about. So I was thinking, "this is really weird" and sure enough, here we are. Now if you'll excuse me I'm going to go watch Tally Ho and Abom79 and generally other people who actually know what they're doing. 

I figured it out when the 'doctor'  said 'the blood is bleeding'  

And an Indian doctor in Tulsa would be Cherokee 

I never liked practical jokes.   The essence is the "victim" is scared/potentially hurt/dismayed/mad or pick any one other intense emotion that are played on.  I do, however, make allowances for dum-ass young (ussually male) a-holes. 

But this is different.  An adult.  With followers based on, albeit unique, skill set.  Not a overt jokester or prankster.  WTF.  And this a special kind of WTF that deserves every bit of  55.5 tons of bad karma coming down on his addled head.

What a first class A-Hole....

• Like 3

I have watched his videos off and on and hoped that he would succeed. This stunt will end my viewing since I work in healthcare and see these types of brain injuries on a regular basis and find no humor in them. That's my choice, to each his own.

The boat itself is intriguing. It is impressive how far he has come. It looks heavy, has a huge amount of wetted surface on top of an inefficient hull shape, and I suspect is very underpowered. In bad seas his hatch and window design may let in a lot of water so I hope for the sake of his crew he does not skimp on the bilge pumps.

• Like 2

Doug is a complete loon so i guess we should have seen this coming. I did think the first video was a bit odd but so are all his videos. It never crossed my mind that it was a prank until the second vid it became pretty clear. I think he probably got a harsher reaction than he was expecting, but he'll play it off like its no big deal. 

The only video im waiting for from him is the launch. Considering how the sea trial of his tender went, he might not get the result he's hoping for.

My little brother received severe TBI from an IED in Afghanistan. He eventually recovered, but it was tough. I can't imagine who might think faking a brain injury is funny. This has got to be the weirdest practical joke I've ever seen. Never have seen this guy's channel. Having seen this, there's nothing about the guy or his project that interests me. I'd have a great time kicking his ass.

• Like 9

8 minutes ago, kevinjones16 said:

My little brother received severe TBI from an IED in Afghanistan. He eventually recovered, but it was tough. I can't imagine who might think faking a brain injury is funny. This has got to be the weirdest practical joke I've ever seen. Never have seen this guy's channel. Having seen this, there's nothing about the guy or his project that interests me. I'd have a great time kicking his ass.

based on the comments on the video you're going to have to take a number!

'Practical joke'?  My ass!   

Like his idol, Brent Swain, Doug has reached that point in his project where it is obvious he will never finish. So he expands into internet gags, click bait and other BS.

9 hours ago, Ed Lada said:

I think there is an element of narcissism there. 

On a guy with a youtube channel?  Say it ain't so!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, MR.CLEAN said:

On a guy with a youtube channel?  Say it ain't so!

Sad but true.  It happens. Sigh.

But at least he's building something, not just posting endless selfies like Instagram has become.

13 hours ago, Foiling Optimist said:

What I came here to say...all of it. No longer watching any of their vids.

1 minute ago, shaggybaxter said:

What an utter tool. 

He thinks that was funny?

Well, fuck me, I've nothing to say.

I have a very dark and twisted sense of humor but I would never pull any shit like that.

I mean one time in the Army in the ER I cooked up a little prank to send a young medic who thought he knew everything, and was always fucking up, to got take a dead person's blood pressure.  Then when he came back and told us the patient was dead, we accused him of causing the death.  But that was just between a few of us, there was no YouTube then.  And after a couple of minutes we had to laugh, we couldn't hold it in anymore, so the prank didn't last too long. 

"She's gone man"

"What do you mean she's gone, she was there a few minutes ago.  Where did she go, she's like 97 years old?"

No, she's gone, she's dead."

"Oh shit now you did it!  She was alive 15 minutes ago, how did you kill her just taking her blood pressure, what's wrong with you!"

"No, no, it wasn't me, I didn't do anything!"

"Hahahaha, yeah dude, she's been dead for hours, you dumb ass, didn't you notice she was a bit cold and stiff?"

13 hours ago, Foiling Optimist said:

I love Abom79, he's da man! 

You should try Edge Precision also.  He does really complex, high tech CNC jobs, mostly for the oil drilling and refinery business.  Talk about knowing what he's doing!  

Watched most all his vids and read anything that comes up about SVS on here.  Let me be the first:

What's it rate?

1 hour ago, El Boracho said:

Like his idol, Brent Swain, Doug has reached that point in his project where it is obvious he will never finish. So he expands into internet gags, click bait and other BS.

Actually , he is getting pretty close to finishing.  He's been at it for about 6 years now.  

The question is how low will it sit in the water once he launches it, and as Steele said above, the hull looks like it will plow the water like a CAT D-9, it's heavy as hell and has an old school bus engine for propulsion which is probably not enough to move a 70 ton vessel.  I doubt the junk rig will help much either.  I would seriously question the seaworthiness of the vessel for many reasons.  Doug is creative, inventive, stubborn and other things, but he knows very little about sailing or a salt water environment.

But miracles can happen.

11 hours ago, VWAP said:

Is that Chris Brown? 

what a bitter lil guy

3 hours ago, El Boracho said:

That's why I spent a lot of time going-round with BS on the forums. His endless lies to newbs about building his boats were just too much to bear.

Doug is now talking about his end of life in these videos - and he still hasn't sailed this boat a single mile. That's rough.

You have to decide whether you want to spend your life self-building - OR - sailing a boat. Very few builders ever get to the second...the reason most of them started in the first place. It's maddening to watch.

As for the prank - it was pretty damn convincing...despite the things that were "off". I'll give them that. Mission freakin' accomplished.

Well, I bit.  I drug my wife into it and was telling her about what little I know of the boat and how this guy scrambled his brains.

I was concerned with how little money any survivors would realize from the scrap.

Guy has fun, I'll give him that.  Had me laughing when he revealed the prank.  Bastard.

Maybe I'll start watching if I think of it.

1 hour ago, smackdaddy said:

That's why I spent a lot of time going-round with BS on the forums. His endless lies to newbs about building his boats were just too much to bear.

Doug is now talking about his end of life in these videos - and he still hasn't sailed this boat a single mile. That's rough.

You have to decide whether you want to spend your life self-building - OR - sailing a boat. Very few builders ever get to the second...the reason most of them started in the first place. It's maddening to watch.

As for the prank - it was pretty damn convincing...despite the things that were "off". I'll give them that. Mission freakin' accomplished.

There were a lot of us shooting BS down for years before you joined in. The Boat Design threads for example.

As for self-building I guess it depends on who you know and who you hang with. I personally know 6 boat builders who've all started *and* finished their boats then gone sailing. But you have to be persistent and want to, not just think it's a cheap way to get a boat, because it isn't.

Not at all sure about that boat of Doug's - we'll see what happens when it gets launched. If it really does displace 70+ tonnes now, I don't think he's got anywhere near enough sail area.

FKT

• Like 1

This thread gives me a little hope in humanity, to see a bunch of strangers putting out genuine concern for a total stranger who appeared to have a pretty tragic accident.  The company I worked for lost a deckboss over a acetylene explosion so I was initially interested as it's some super dangerous shit.  That said fuck this Uber douchebag vainglory pile of shit.  Looking at his boat hurts my eyes so I haven't followed it other than a initial eye bleach required peek from another post.  Seriously WTF some people are real assholes.

6 hours ago, kevinjones16 said:

My best crewman died from a head injury sustained while working on a boat, sitting alone in his car in the marina parking lot.  

My nephew is severely and permanently mentally handicapped from a head injury after being hit by a car.  

I have a skull fracture and (luckily recoverable) brain damage from an accidental jibe.

I have know idea who this Doug is, but this "practical joke" is about as funny as pushing an old lady downstairs. 

So fuck him.

I sincerely hope his overweight POS rolls over and sinks on launch.

• Like 2

On the other hand Youtube is full of self appointed health and safety experts who keep harassing DIYers . Winding them up is fair game IMHO even if in real life I am the first one to call for caution. I haven't watched many of his videos.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Left Shift said:

My best crewman died from a head injury sustained while working on a boat, sitting alone in his car in the marina parking lot.  

My nephew is severely and permanently mentally handicapped from a head injury after being hit by a car.  

I have a skull fracture and (luckily recoverable) brain damage from an accidental jibe.

I have know idea who this Doug is, but this "practical joke" is about as funny as pushing an old lady downstairs. 

So fuck him.

I sincerely hope his overweight POS rolls over and sinks on launch.

Your family needs to start wearing helmets 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Cristoforo said:

You wingenutte..............          :)

7 minutes ago, Cristoforo said:

Thank you for your sympathetic words. 

Yours too.

1 hour ago, Panoramix said:

On the other hand Youtube is full of self appointed health and safety experts who keep harassing DIYers . Winding them up is fair game IMHO even if in real life I am the first one to call for caution. I haven't watched many of his videos.

On the other hand YouTube is full of DIY-ers who set incredibly bad examples of how to do things and they badly need to be called out for it. Running angle grinders without guards for example, something Doug does all the time. Sure, it's all good because the guard gets in the way. Until someone with little or no experience or awareness of the dangers does it and now is off to the emergency section of the hospital hoping they can get their tendons re-attached.

Not to mention not wearing eye protection & hearing protection.

At least I managed to get my boat finished and I still have all fingers, both eyes and not too many burn scars. My hearing was already fucked from industrial deafness but it didn't get any worse. I wore out a lot of gloves, ear muffs & safety glasses though.

FKT

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Left Shift said:

Thank you for your sympathetic words. 

Crisco cante helpe hisselfe.....    

3 minutes ago, Fah Kiew Tu said:

On the other hand YouTube is full of DIY-ers who set incredibly bad examples of how to do things and they badly need to be called out for it. Running angle grinders without guards for example, something Doug does all the time. Sure, it's all good because the guard gets in the way. Until someone with little or no experience or awareness of the dangers does it and now is off to the emergency section of the hospital hoping they can get their tendons re-attached.

Not to mention not wearing eye protection & hearing protection.

At least I managed to get my boat finished and I still have all fingers, both eyes and not too many burn scars. My hearing was already fucked from industrial deafness but it didn't get any worse. I wore out a lot of gloves, ear muffs & safety glasses though.

FKT

Don't get me wrong I am the first one to wear PPE, but YouTube is just entertainment and sometimes food for thoughts , the wars that some lead in the comments are just ridiculous.

Buncha people getting all twisted out of shape about an old fart on youtube

Looking forward to the class action lawsuit against sv seeker due to emotional distress

Lock this thread and burn it

My mum dropped me on my head at birth, when she went for a piss and I suddenly decided to crawl out. As you may have noticed I've been mentally handicapped ever since. 

I strongly resemble any joke on the subject.

the overwhleming majority of these "sailing" youtube channels have sunk to the level of just another form of reality TV. anyone else remember 10 years ago when the running joke around here was something along the line of "if you don't have a blog are you really even cruising?" guess we've evolved to the point where now it "if you don't have a youtube channel are you really even cruising?"  except now you have choades like this making publicity stunts. fuck him. 

Doug just had a handful of guys that could do the pyrotechnics, the acting, the filming, the doctor bit all willing to be S/V Seeker Whores hanging around Tulsa at the same time. What else was gonna happen?

15 hours ago, eliboat said:

As far as that prank goes, I think it was in poor taste.  Hopefully he won’t be calling any fake MayDays once he gets on the water.  He’ll definitely get a bump in views for those videos though.  

Funny you mention cult. I HAD been a follower of SV seeker for years - I saw the update video and thought some things were odd but I bought in until the reveal.  As a proper cult leader, you make dramatic wild event related drama that separates the "inners" from the "outers".  The "inners" galvanize with solidarity and you repeat resulting in a repeated annealing of the "inners" to the point that no truth will penetrate.  Next thing you know and you have a rabid group of inner-followers who ignore all logic for the sake of crystallization with thinking similar to their own and belittling of anyone that doesn't share the same viewpoint of holding the leader on a pedestal.  hmmm...sounds familiar.

31 minutes ago, Jake said:

Funny you mention cult. I HAD been a follower of SV seeker for years - I saw the update video and thought some things were odd but I bought in until the reveal.  As a proper cult leader, you make dramatic wild event related drama that separates the "inners" from the "outers".  The "inners" galvanize with solidarity and you repeat resulting in a repeated annealing of the "inners" to the point that no truth will penetrate.  Next thing you know and you have a rabid group of inner-followers who ignore all logic for the sake of crystallization with thinking similar to their own and belittling of anyone that doesn't share the same viewpoint of holding the leader on a pedestal.  hmmm...sounds familiar.

Interesting. This....sounds familiar somehow. A certain tanned politician? 

Physics has a way of sorting these people out...it just takes a while sometimes. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Ed Lada said:

I love Abom79, he's da man! 

You should try Edge Precision also.  He does really complex, high tech CNC jobs, mostly for the oil drilling and refinery business.  Talk about knowing what he's doing!  

Don't worry, I watch Peter's videos. In case people here are interested in machining, Adam Booth, Abom79,  is perhaps the most compelling manual machinist on YouTube, and Peter Stanton of Edge precision is doing some of the hardest CNC machining you will see there. 

• Like 1

Well he’s lost about 10k subscribers in the past couple of days,   I suspect that number will increase as Doug digs his heels into this insulting line of logic that good people who were actually worried about him are somehow not “real” supporters of his.   

This guy washes himself with coal tar epoxy and xylene. Stands "up wind" instead of donning respirator while spraying.  Amazing really.

I think it's time to change the title of this thread now that we know it was one big fu'ed up joke. 

• Like 1