Sign in to follow this  
Fakenews

Terrified police shoot and kill unarmed dog

What the hell is it with cops and dogs?  OK technically it’s a SS agent in this instance but the question remains.  If someone shot my dog I’d grab the gun shoot him and claim self defense.

This scumbag tried to claim the Dog was off leash but there’s a photo of the dead dog with a leash attached.

Hope he loses his job and is driven from the neighborhood.

ASSHOLE!

https://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/nyc-crime/ny-secret-service-agent-shoots-dog-brooklyn-20200114-aomg6kgzdze2fbqvl6dawqb4nm-story.html

Edit how many stories do you hear of mailmen shooting dogs?

Oh fuck duh pa rejects wandered out of duh old folks home 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, d'ranger said:

How many dogs are armed? Asking for a friend

You cane caulle them armes, butte they really our leggs.                                        :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fakenews said:

Edit how many stories do you hear of mailmen shooting dogs?

How many stories do you hear of mailmen getting ripped up by dogs?

A: Lots.

Just now, SloopJonB said:

I haven’t heard any.  But assuming you’re correct why don’t they shoot them and why are police such stinking cowards when it comes to the friendly neighborhood dog.

My reasonable theory?  They do it because they can get away with it.

1 hour ago, d'ranger said:

I thought it was bears that were armed.

More Than 6,200 Postal Workers Attacked By Dogs in 2017

State Farm reported it paid more than $132 million in 2017 as a result of 3,618 dog-related injury claims. The average cost paid per claim was $36,573.

https://ohsonline.com/articles/2018/04/18/more-than-6200-postal-workers-attacked-by-dogs.aspx?m=1

5 minutes ago, Fakenews said:

I haven’t heard any.  But assuming you’re correct why don’t they shoot them and why are police such stinking cowards when it comes to the friendly neighborhood dog.

19 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

Our mailman was smart enough to carry bones. Our Chessie would climb in his mail truck and come out with a treat. He loved that mailman :)

34 minutes ago, Fakenews said:

Why are you posting like an asshole? It's not like you.

It wasn't even a cop FFS.

6 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

6 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

Cops shooting non threatening dogs is a thing.  They get away with it.  It pisses me off.

I'm not clicking on the article, but from personal experience off lead dogs can be a hazard.  Just this past weekend my dog (on leash) and I were attacked.  My dog got bit, and I narrowly avoided the same.   I got in a good kick and that seemed to settle some, but scooping up my 50 lb dog was what ended it.  Armchair the event all you want, it sucked.  I dealt with it.

Cops going into situations where dogs are going to act aggressive are in a tough spot.   Pit bulls biggley and all that.

I'm surprised more don't get shot.  Asshole owners.  I feel bad for the dogs since they probably never had a chance from puppyhood.

As for nonthreatening dogs,  hmmm... seems like a lot of paperwork for the cop to be gunning down dogs for no good reason.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

Another Russian spy?

Sadly a police officers job takes them into some not nice areas and many time the dog owners there have dogs that are not very socialized. I haven't had to shoot one yet, but have been very close a few times. I have probably pepper sprayed 30 or 40 in my time as an officer.

One of my good friends was bit by a dog on duty and due to a tendon being torn in his arm he was forced to be off work for almost a year. Getting bit is a very serious thing.

With all that said I have seen plenty of videos where I didn't think the officer was justified in shooting a dog. 

I have no idea in this particular situation, yes the dog was wearing a leash, but it wouldn't be the first time I saw an owner drop it or just let the dog drag it. 

It would be pretty out there to imagine a secret service agent shooting some leashed dog. I tend to give them more credit and imagine the dog was charging him.

• Like 2

My daughter was attacked by a neigbhors dog , and got permant scare on her face, if I had a gun I would have shot the dog!

Where we live in long island , people would come out from the city in the summer, get a dog and in the fall let it go, these dogs would form packs and kill the deers , rabbits  and yes even attack children, The local police were given permission to shot these dogs !

some fun facts Dog attacks in the US kill more people then Jaws (sharks) and gators 

Fatal dog attacks in the United States are rare, although non-fatal dog bites are not unusual. Typically, between 30 and 50 people in the US die from dog bites each year,[1] and the number of deaths from dog attacks appear to be increasing.[2] Around 4.5 million Americans are bitten by dogs every year, resulting in the hospitalization of 6,000 to 13,000 people each year in the United States (2005).[2]

Injuries, illnesses, and fatalities resulting from encounters with dogs are a major public health concern worldwide. Dogs not only cause morbidity and mortality as a result of bites, they may also transmit zoonotic infections, which may also result in illness or death. In fact, dogs are the main source of rabies transmission to humans worldwide. It is estimated that 3% to 18% of dog bite wounds become infected, with occasional cases of meningitis, endocarditis, and septic shock leading to death reported. Children have the greatest risk of death. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fatal_dog_attacks_in_the_United_States

3 hours ago, V. Green said:

Sadly a police officers job takes them into some not nice areas and many time the dog owners there have dogs that are not very socialized. I haven't had to shoot one yet, but have been very close a few times. I have probably pepper sprayed 30 or 40 in my time as an officer.

One of my good friends was bit by a dog on duty and due to a tendon being torn in his arm he was forced to be off work for almost a year. Getting bit is a very serious thing.

With all that said I have seen plenty of videos where I didn't think the officer was justified in shooting a dog. 

I have no idea in this particular situation, yes the dog was wearing a leash, but it wouldn't be the first time I saw an owner drop it or just let the dog drag it. 

It would be pretty out there to imagine a secret service agent shooting some leashed dog. I tend to give them more credit and imagine the dog was charging him.

Dogs don't have any idea what a uniform means, and dogs always respond to the mood of their owner... in stressful situations, attacking a stranger that they see as an intruder is a very natural instinct and unfortunately many dog owners are ill prepared to control their dogs' behavior even at the best of times.

I can easily imagine realistic situations where even a good dog would be considered a threat by an officer, and end up getting shot. OTOH I have also seen a number of reports where I think the officer acted improperly. Some people are very bad at interacting with dogs.

We had an electric meter reader who carried a squirt bottle of some kind of chemical which he sprayed on our dog, which was behind a fence. That didn't play out well.

- DSK

A spritzer full of ammonia works well.

3 hours ago, Steam Flyer said:

Dogs don't have any idea what a uniform means, and dogs always respond to the mood of their owner... in stressful situations, attacking a stranger that they see as an intruder is a very natural instinct and unfortunately many dog owners are ill prepared to control their dogs' behavior even at the best of times.

I can easily imagine realistic situations where even a good dog would be considered a threat by an officer, and end up getting shot. OTOH I have also seen a number of reports where I think the officer acted improperly. Some people are very bad at interacting with dogs.

We had an electric meter reader who carried a squirt bottle of some kind of chemical which he sprayed on our dog, which was behind a fence. That didn't play out well.

- DSK

I am a dog person, I have three and grew up helping my dad training pointers. With that in mind I am really careful around dogs when on calls.

As you pointed out many times the owners are nervous and the dogs know that. 

The worst situations are alarm calls, the public expects officers to check their back doors and such. When a dog is suddenly surprised by an unknown person in their back yard they usually do not respond well. I have my whistle technique I use to try and get their attention before I enter the yard, yet have still had to beat a hasty retreat on several occasions.

The pit bulls on chains in the front yard preventing you approaching the house are the worst, and fairly common with criminals. Imagine you pull up to a house where someone called 911 for a domestic, you can hear fighting and screaming inside, but before you do anything you have to deal with a land shark. Those situations suck!

• Like 3

I'm surprised no one has asked if it was a black dog?

:tumble:

22 hours ago, d'ranger said:

4 minutes ago, Shortforbob said:

I'm surprised no one has asked if it was a black dog?

Fuck you both. I was riding my handcycle one day. Here is an old photo of a handcycle. more to read after the photo.
61600.png

On the way home, I go up the alley to my garage and I am stopped about 3 houses up by a Pit Bull staring and growling me down.
I  make no sudden movements. get my phone out and call the local PD. Once I'm on the phone and talking to the desk officer and explain....a POS Mexican Gang Banger walks out and says something and the dog goes in the house.

Needless to say, the police raided the house several times and the POS Gang Banger's and their Pit Bull are gone.

I would not hesitate to kill the dog if I did not live in Kalif.

I believe the Dog in question was leashed? OTOH, people are so dishonest these days the owners could have put the leash on after the event.

The was a German Shepherd lived a few doors down many years ago, the thing was abused and insanely vicious.

One day the owner left the gate open. the thing first dashed out and attacked a kids skateboard..and dashed back in. it's second victim was my husband, walking past, dog grabbed him by the calf and ripped back. 22 stitches, a leg brace and crutches for 3 weeks. lucky it wasn't his hamstring.

We called the cops. they went in armed with a heavy torch..(and the gun as back up). simply locked the gate (with the dog inside) prosecuted the owner. Dog destroyed. we didn't even have to go to court. Simple.

And FFS..it's bitten not bit.

I was bitten by a dog. A dog bit me. Have you ever been bitten by a dog? no, but I was bitten by a moose. A moose once bit my sister! etc.

You are all welcome.

23 hours ago, d'ranger said:

Ever see a Belgian Malinois (think German Shepherd with super powers) do jugular leap...  Pure poetry in motion to watch  75 lbs. of well trained K9 jump six or eight feet through the air and land their K-9s right on the neck of the person they have been commanded to decimate..  If trained properly, they seldom miss... but that is a broken arrow command... usually they will be given a command that will subdue the perpetrator and give them some nasty scars they can tell the cell mates about.

They are the weapon...

49 minutes ago, Shortforbob said:

One day the owner left the gate open. the thing first dashed out and attacked a kids skateboard..and dashed back in. it's second victim was my husband, walking past, dog grabbed him by the calf and ripped back. 22 stitches, a leg brace and crutches for 3 weeks. lucky it wasn't his hamstring.

Herding bite..

Highly irregular with a German Shepherd... they are defenders (cave dogs) and unless other wise provoked they usually don't attack...  not saying that is the case here... just not the norm...

10 minutes ago, nacradriver said:

Herding bite..

Highly irregular with a German Shepherd... they are defenders (cave dogs) and unless other wise provoked they usually don't attack...  not saying that is the case here... just not the norm...

Nah, this wasn't heel nip like a bluey or kelpie will do. full on grab and rip. left a trench you could put your finger in.

as I said, the dog had been treated to be vicious. evil people can turn the nicest breed vicious with enough fear and cruelty..it's a shame. I believe the owner was given the option, euthanaise the dog or go to court. Police cutting paperwork.

26 minutes ago, Shortforbob said:

Nah, this wasn't heel nip like a bluey or kelpie will do. full on grab and rip. left a trench you could put your finger in.

as I said, the dog had been treated to be vicious. evil people can turn the nicest breed vicious with enough fear and cruelty..it's a shame. I believe the owner was given the option, euthanaise the dog or go to court. Police cutting paperwork.

Like I said irregular.. it sounds to me like that dog was treated to be afraid... 

Full disclosure, my father was  breeder...  he did shepherds, weimaranes (long before Vegman made them popular) , and short hair pointers..  I have seen K9 that have been trained to rip you into a 1000 little pieces and yet will let a 2 year old grab their ears and pull their whiskers and enjoy every second of it..

2 minutes ago, nacradriver said:

Like I said irregular.. it sounds to me like that dog was treated to be afraid... 

Full disclosure, my father was  breeder...  he did shepherds, weimaranes (long before Vegman made them popular) , and short hair pointers..  I have seen K9 that have been trained to rip you into a 1000 little pieces and yet will let a 2 year old grab their ears and pull their whiskers and enjoy every second of it..

If the owner of the dog or child is dim enough to let them.

Never trust any dog around a small child.

9 minutes ago, Shortforbob said:

If the owner of the dog or child is dim enough to let them.

Never trust any UNTRAINED dog around a small child.

There fixed for ya...  of course you'll disagree..  Just keep this in mind.. that dog may have been trained to protect that child..  Yes this can be done

1 hour ago, nacradriver said:

There fixed for ya...  of course you'll disagree..  Just keep this in mind.. that dog may have been trained to protect that child..  Yes this can be done

I'm not going to argue..its pointless. Just keep this in mind, something big people don't often think about. A dogs face is usually about at the same level as a young child's face but unlike a puppy, children have tissue paper skin not hide and hair. Even a trained dog will "gently" snap at a pup that's causing it pain.

I had a lab and a kitten.  That kitten did everything in its power to piss off the dog.  He was no phased, they were lifelong pals. Most dogs are gentle souls and those that aren’t are that way because of their owners.

18 hours ago, garuda3 said:

some fun facts Dog attacks in the US kill more people then Jaws (sharks) and gators 

Well given the fact that far, far more people are in daily proximity of dogs vs gators or sharks, that's hardly surprising.

Here's a fun fact.  People kill more people than dogs, gators and sharks, lightning, and a bunch of other things combined.

1 hour ago, Ed Lada said:

Here's a fun fact. 

Another one: mosquitoes kill more people than people kill people.

Slackers.

• Like 1

Just now, justsomeguy! said:

Another one: mosquitoes kill more people than people kill people.

Slackers.

I suppose it's seasonal.  When there's a good world war on, I'll bet humans have the edge.

I hate fucking mosquitoes.  To me it's proof there is no God.  What kind and loving God would create such a deadly and annoying creature.  Mosquitoes, not mankind.  Well, maybe both.

• Like 1

On 1/20/2020 at 6:13 PM, SloopJonB said:

My buddy is a mailman and dog lover. His biggest issue is with bees.

In grade school, I got bitten by a standard poodle. One of our dogs was in heat and I think that was the cause. Darn thing wrecked my favorite jacket but got me out of school for the day.

4 hours ago, Ed Lada said:

I suppose it's seasonal.  When there's a good world war on, I'll bet humans have the edge.

na.  malaria just kills more when there is a war on.

22 hours ago, Steam Flyer said:

- DSK

This is a very coherent response. While I am often a critic of some law enforcement behaviors, I also think the situations are often misrepresented. Dogs very much perceive the attitudes and moods of those around them, and each has its own thresholds and personality. I also have seen videos of police shooting a dog as a clear over reaction to a perceived threat by the dog. On balance, I will say my own experience is that in 37 years I only saw cops shoot one dog and am thankful they did because a very large Rottweiler I was running from carrying a toddler mauling victim we had rescued from the dog was about to have my lunch. Never have seen it happen other than that one time even though I saw plenty of dog/cop "confrontations" that did not end in a shooting. Those don't get coverage. From that I suspect (while admitting my experience - although considerable - is anecdotal) that it is not a frequent occurrence and like many things receive attention out of proportion to the actual frequency. You also need to take into account that some people....yes even some police officers......are afraid of dogs especially aggressive ones and may perceive the threat more acutely than the rest of us. I have noticed that a number of police department are including dog management in their training and continuing education programs. That is likely helpful to everyone, cops, dog owners and dogs. I will say my own experience with aggressive, often frightened dogs at the scene of emergencies always makes the management of the incident more difficult and has occasionally raised my own anxiety levels depending on the dog. I've only been bit once and it was a small mutt who "ambushed" me while I was caring for its elderly owner. :lol: It was not a serious bite though. Lastly, I have seen many absolutely vicious bites - often to small children - as have cops and after a while it tends to make you a little hypersensitive to the threat.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Point Break said:

This is a very coherent response. While I am often a critic of some law enforcement behaviors, I also think the situations are often misrepresented. Dogs very much perceive the attitudes and moods of those around them, and each has its own thresholds and personality. I also have seen videos of police shooting a dog as a clear over reaction to a perceived threat by the dog. On balance, I will say my own experience is that in 37 years I only saw cops shoot one dog and am thankful they did because a very large Rottweiler I was running from carrying a toddler mauling victim we had rescued from the dog was about to have my lunch. Never have seen it happen other than that one time even though I saw plenty of dog/cop "confrontations" that did not end in a shooting. Those don't get coverage. From that I suspect (while admitting my experience - although considerable - is anecdotal) that it is not a frequent occurrence and like many things receive attention out of proportion to the actual frequency. You also need to take into account that some people....yes even some police officers......are afraid of dogs especially aggressive ones and may perceive the threat more acutely than the rest of us. I have noticed that a number of police department are including dog management in their training and continuing education programs. That is likely helpful to everyone, cops, dog owners and dogs. I will say my own experience with aggressive, often frightened dogs at the scene of emergencies always makes the management of the incident more difficult and has occasionally raised my own anxiety levels depending on the dog. I've only been bit once and it was a small mutt who "ambushed" me while I was caring for its elderly owner. :lol: It was not a serious bite though. Lastly, I have seen many absolutely vicious bites - often to small children - as have cops and after a while it tends to make you a little hypersensitive to the threat.

Thanks, I've owned/been around dogs all my life. It's shocking to me sometimes how little "dog people" understand their dogs, and my perception is that it's increasingly common for people to own dogs with no attempt or just no ability to train them or even help them adjust to human society.

On those mercifully rare occasions when we had some sort of household emergency, one of my ironclad rules was that which ever of us were not busy putting out the fire/stopping the bleeding, would restrain and comfort the dog. When we were cruising, I trained our dog to "Go get in your bed" which meant to him, find his bed where ever it is tucked away, get inside it, lay down, stay there until further notice. I always told him this when docking or in rough weather. The only time he ever broke this command is when strangers came on board, and my wife took him in charge and kept him calm (he was a lover, not a fighter, which helped). Most of the time when we were safely docked or whatever else was happening was over, I'd go to get him and he'd be sound asleep.

When I described this command to other cruisers with dogs, they disbelieved me until I showed them. A lot of dog owners not only don't know how to train their dogs, they don't even believe it's possible. No wonder cruising with a big dog is so often a disaster.

- DSK

I grew up with Airedales; my Mom bred and showed them. They were usually cool with people but one of them would get turned off by certain people. I just assumed they were picking up on something.

I have German Shorthairs. I swear they'd just show an intruder around the house.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Shortforbob said:

I'm not going to argue..its pointless. Just keep this in mind, something big people don't often think about. A dogs face is usually about at the same level as a young child's face but unlike a puppy, children have tissue paper skin not hide and hair. Even a trained dog will "gently" snap at a pup that's causing it pain.

A properly trained dog will just get up and walk way to a new position in the room...  they will keep doing this.. the most aggressive thing they will do is bark and that is to let their owner know something is afoot... 

On 1/21/2020 at 9:53 AM, Steam Flyer said:

Similar situation... Roar one of my brother's Schutshund trained shepherds had the gas company guy pinned up against the wall for an hour... he caught a lot grief about it from So Cal Edison...  but, there was a sign on the gate with a number to call to gain entry, he had sent letter them earlier explaining that there is a trained K9 on the premises and not to enter unless accompanied...   Did the meter guy read the sign or his notes or even care...  I think not!    Thank goodness for those new radio meters.

1 hour ago, austin1972 said:

I have German Shorthairs. I swear they'd just show an intruder around the house.

My 2 Labs wouldn't just show them around, they would offer drinks and snacks (while helping themselves to some snacks as well), reveal all of the hidden stuff, and offer to help carry everything out.

But they have very big voices, especially the male, and they always bark when somebody is at the door.  The front door has windows but we have an entry hall with an interior door, so strangers don't know what type of dogs they are.  So there's that, thank goodness.

1 hour ago, nacradriver said:

A properly trained dog will just get up and walk way to a new position in the room...  they will keep doing this.. the most aggressive thing they will do is bark and that is to let their owner know something is afoot... 

Similar situation... Roar one of my brother's Schutshund trained shepherds had the gas company guy pinned up against the wall for an hour... he caught a lot grief about it from So Cal Edison...  but, there was a sign on the gate with a number to call to gain entry, he had sent letter them earlier explaining that there is a trained K9 on the premises and not to enter unless accompanied...   Did the meter guy read the sign or his notes or even care...  I think not!    Thank goodness for those new radio meters.

My Pyrenees did a similar thing to my landlord when I lived in Denver who was snooping around the house.  He took a fold of landlord's pants in his mouth and pinned him against the side of the house until I got home.  150 pounds with fur like a bearskin rug.

4 hours ago, MR.CLEAN said:

My Pyrenees did a similar thing to my landlord when I lived in Denver who was snooping around the house.  He took a fold of landlord's pants in his mouth and pinned him against the side of the house until I got home.  150 pounds with fur like a bearskin rug.

I bought a German Shepard for my daughter.  That dog did as she was supposed to do.

I could roll her over and rub her belly.  People were terrified.  It was my puppy.  Sad that she is gone, but she did her job.

My Boxer seems to know the difference between welcome and unwelcome “guests”. When the harmless JW’s come to the door to tell me about god, she is all wiggles and happy. I have a glass “screen door” so I leave the solid core front door open so she can look out. But sometimes when it’s someone else I would describe as “a little sketchy“ she has the hairs up and quietly growls with considerable menace. This isn’t because of my reaction since it usually happens before I get to the door and form my own opinion. Not sure why this one and not that one but she definitely has an “opinion”. Not sure how she would manage a burglar if she were home alone. I’m guessing if she liked them, she would help them carry stuff out. If not........ 

There is no excuse for a trained law enforcement officer to shoot and kill a leashed dog in a public space. What if the round had gone through, and struck a pedestrian? That was just irresponsible, and careless, not to mention stupid, and thoughtless.

I hope he gets kicked out of the SS and has his CCL revoked forever.