ricwoz

bluewater multihulls

Boardhead, Didn't Sail4Beer buy your old 34'er before the last guy abused her to the dumpster state? 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, RImike said:

She's in the Newport area. Everything is for sale for the right price and I think it was on Yacht World a few years back for around $400K. While it doesn't fold for trailering the amas do unbolt from the main hull so it could be transported via semi- to FL or something. 

Beautifully built boat that came over as stiff, strong and not overly complex.

I met her builder onboard when she was at the Annapolis boat show and, delighted to see a new build, offered to help in any way I could. Stopping by again towards the end of the day Bill stated that he had not sailed multihulls much and would welcome some help in that direction so we agreed to meet up and go for a sail on Skateaway which we did a couple weeks later. On a near perfect day where we were able to set all the options - except the storm jib - upwind, across and downwind, had a great sail and Bill picked up his game - no question that guy wanted to build the best thirty five footer money could buy.

Next time we saw Three Little Birds was on the 2011 Newport Solo/Twin with the owner and Bill aboard, she raced for some years in NEMA but I was not active up there during that period so we never raced her again.

5 hours ago, Rasputin22 said:

Boardhead, Didn't Sail4Beer buy your old 34'er before the last guy abused her to the dumpster state? 

Still in the works but Sail4Beer has a bunch of other projects on his plate so no progress to date and the weather continues to degrade her.

Mostly paint and some ill conceived mods that went south, inevitably ice action will take it's toll, the boat is open with an owner who long since ran out of steam.

OK, but I had hoped Beer would be just they guy to rescue the abused boat. Keep him encouraged and give him my support!

That's exactly what I have been doing and am hopeful he will get stuck into the job - it's a serious project.

10 hours ago, Wess said:

LOL, I ain't buying (or selling).  Got a tri I love and the wife does too.  

Ditto! We love our tri. Have had it for 9 years, don’t think we’ll be selling for another 10 years at least. Not until we’re too old and tired. I’d be happy to die aboard our tri and you can find the boat aground in some remote location. 

• Like 1

I’ll be there! 

Just wrapping up an unfortunate divorce from a committed non sailor. She decided to dislike the boating life that she knew was my lifeblood after I opened my boat shop back in ‘12 and closed to try and please her. Didn’t work...

The shop is going back online this spring and Volantis of Yealm will be back at the marina it used to live in after Boardhead sold it to Allan Whatshisname... My Twinbro and I will make a light race/cruiser after we remove all the interior “accommodation” the PO fitted out and epoxied in place.

Boardhead has a metric ton of projects going on at any one time and I need to get down his way and get fired up again- watching him would make a ant colony feel collectively lazy.

• Like 4

And luckily the weather hasn’t been so cold up there this year as to tear the boat apart with ice. Probably have much free time coming this March to get up and prep the boat. Money isn’t the object- just distance and time for now! 

2 hours ago, Sail4beer said:

And luckily the weather hasn’t been so cold up there this year as to tear the boat apart with ice. Probably have much free time coming this March to get up and prep the boat. Money isn’t the object- just distance and time for now! 

On a positive note the ongoing paint degradation is going to make it faster to remove and it all has to come off.

Also the transformation promises to be amazing and worthwhile as the basic materials of construction are extremely durable.

Nowhere near as intimidating as the Triple Jack rebuild and those guys are pressing on.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Sail4beer said:

I’ll be there! 

Just wrapping up an unfortunate divorce from a committed non sailor. She decided to dislike the boating life that she knew was my lifeblood after I opened my boat shop back in ‘12 and closed to try and please her. Didn’t work...

The shop is going back online this spring and Volantis of Yealm will be back at the marina it used to live in after Boardhead sold it to Allan Whatshisname... My Twinbro and I will make a light race/cruiser after we remove all the interior “accommodation” the PO fitted out and epoxied in place.

Boardhead has a metric ton of projects going on at any one time and I need to get down his way and get fired up again- watching him would make a ant colony feel collectively lazy.

And how did she not notice that you have a half dozen sailboats or so? Her powers of observation must be impaired. Anyway I know you have had some serious life challenges lately but good to hear you will back in the shop doing what you love. Good luck on Volantis!

• Like 2

Thanks, Jody! 

It’s been the year for me that I hope never repeats. Somehow she didn’t notice the years in the Keys, the trophies on the mantle and, of course, the boats. She hasn’t been on a boat with me in 5 years- that should have tipped me off a long time ago;)

• Like 4