BravoBravo

"2019-nCoV"

I work IT in a Vermont school system, where classes stopped this week. We just finished sending out hundreds of Chromebooks to students grade 3 thru 8, plus education packets for some grades. We will probably have to send out more devices for K-2. Teachers developed remote learning plans and built webpages for remote learning curriculum and resources. It feels like we are reinventing our schools.

Now the governor has mandated that our schools become daycare centers for children of essential workers.

https://governor.vermont.gov/press-release/governor-phil-scott-orders-implementation-child-care-system-personnel-essential-covid

Apparently the teachers union was not included in the discussion.

https://vtdigger.org/2020/03/19/some-teachers-balk-at-providing-childcare-for-essential-workers/

I have no idea what this will be like. On a personal level, I have no idea how this will impact my job duties and working remotely vs in these schools.

I am really trying to hold things together right now with all this uncertainty.

Just now, Streetwise said:

I work IT in a Vermont school system, where classes stopped this week. We just finished sending out hundreds of Chromebooks to students grade 3 thru 8, plus education packets for some grades. We will probably have to send out more devices for K-2. Teachers developed remote learning plans and built webpages for remote learning curriculum and resources. It feels like we are reinventing our schools.

Now the governor has mandated that our schools become daycare centers for children of essential workers.

https://governor.vermont.gov/press-release/governor-phil-scott-orders-implementation-child-care-system-personnel-essential-covid

Apparently the teachers union was not included in the discussion.

https://vtdigger.org/2020/03/19/some-teachers-balk-at-providing-childcare-for-essential-workers/

I have no idea what this will be like. On a personal level, I have no idea how this will impact my job duties and working remotely vs in these schools.

I am really trying to hold things together right now with all this uncertainty.

Are you being paid?    Be happy.    I'm exposing myself for free just trying to minimize my losses and make sure I have a job when this is over.

I don't even know what to think about any of these decisions. It is just overwhelming. I thought I was about to catch a breath after the device rollout, and just got hit with this daycare news five minutes ago. I am not comparing my situation. I though I could come to my sailing community since I can't go anywhere else.

I should have known better.

Thanks

In Washington State the Gov was asked point blank yesterday,  about a lockdown. He dodged the question, badly. Makes me think that a federal lockdown is coming. Might just be here. Might be the whole Country. But sometime in the next 48, I can see them shutting it all down. 

Its the only way to get ahead of it. People are still choosing selfish behavior and putting the medical system further behind the curve. 

I see it getting shut down for 2-4 weeks. If not longer. 

WL

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Lark said:

What actions are being taken around the world?

The US being the US, of course our actions are all over the spectrum depending on the state.   Some are still googling virus and struggling with invisible not being synonymous with fake.   Others such as my Ohio are being extremely aggressive, if reactive without clear evidence of a master plan.   The federal government has decided the virus is real, does kill people, and should be avoided.    

What is your country doing?    

My company is shutting its doors for two weeks starting Sunday night. We’ve already got a few confirmed cases at work. We would’ve shut down this afternoon, but had slight union issues. The nice thing is we all get paid during the downtime. 

3 hours ago, weightless said:

Testing, testing, testing. I believe that testing and isolation of the infected is the cornerstone of any long term way of dealing with this using existing technology. We have tests that work. We don't have and may not be able to develop a vaccine. This is not a flu.

The delaying game is the best we can do now. Each transmission avoided gives us a bit of time.*

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/19/health/coronavirus-distancing-transmission.html?algo=identity&fellback=false&imp_id=998679672&imp_id=405165285&action=click&module=Science Technology&pgtype=Homepage

tree-1050.jpg

*Apologies posting the obvious again -- I know you guys are on this --  I'm just venting.

Yes, the reality is we're in lockdown because we don't have testing. 

50 minutes ago, Streetwise said:

I don't even know what to think about any of these decisions. It is just overwhelming. I thought I was about to catch a breath after the device rollout, and just got hit with this daycare news five minutes ago. I am not comparing my situation. I though I could come to my sailing community since I can't go anywhere else.

I should have known better.

Thanks

Apologies.    It’s a stressful time for everybody.    

Just now, Lark said:

Apologies.    It’s a stressful time for everybody.    

Cheers. I am just trying to keep sailing. When I come to shore, I just need to breath, cry, and resupply.

9 hours ago, Blue Crab said:

tre.jpg

This is a parody, right?  Please tell me he didn't *really* say this ...

(It's telling that I actually have to ask)

1 minute ago, Streetwise said:

Cheers. I am just trying to keep sailing. When I come to shore, I just need to breath, cry, and resupply.

How can I pull the boat out of storage when laying off employees?   We’re all crying.     We’re all scared.    

I mean sailing metaphorically, like waking up each day to serve my f* community, not my boat.

I wanna escape on a boat so bad right now.      

Since you are in education, I’ll repeat a post I put in another thread.    Sophomore year figured out an app and divided up their homework.    The entire class has done the next two weeks collectively.    

My boat is in a barn, I am not sailing. I am trying to help the best I can with my community. I thought sailing metaphors would make me feel less fucking lonely.

I am done here.

Just now, Streetwise said:

My boat is in a barn, I am not sailing. I am trying to help the best I can with my community. I thought sailing metaphors would make me feel less fucking lonely.

I am done here.

I understand.   Not trying to fight.   

9 minutes ago, Recidivist said:

This is a parody, right?  Please tell me he didn't *really* say this ...

(It's telling that I actually have to ask)

Another of the great D. John tRump quotes, along with:

"Not my job"

"I don't take any responsibility"

32 minutes ago, Raz'r said:

It buys us time at great expense. It could be a bargain if we make good use of that time.

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2020/03/how-we-beat-coronavirus/608389/

...We can decide to meet this challenge head-on. It is absolutely within our capacity to do so. We could develop tests that are fast, reliable, and ubiquitous. If we screen everyone, and do so regularly, we can let most people return to a more normal life. We can reopen schools and places where people gather. If we can be assured that the people who congregate aren’t infectious, they can socialize.

We can build health-care facilities that do rapid screening and care for people who are infected, apart from those who are not. This will prevent transmission from one sick person to another in hospitals and other health-care facilities. We can even commit to housing infected people apart from their healthy family members, to prevent transmission in households.

These steps alone still won’t be enough.

We will need to massively strengthen our medical infrastructure. We will need to build ventilators and add hospital beds. We will need to train and redistribute physicians, nurses, and respiratory therapists to where they are most needed. We will need to focus our factories on turning out the protective equipment—masks, gloves, gowns, and so forth—to ensure we keep our health-care workforce safe. And, most importantly, we need to pour vast sums of intellectual and financial resources into developing a vaccine that would finally bring this nightmare to a close. An effective vaccine would end the pandemic and protect billions of people around the world.

All of the difficult actions we are taking now to flatten the curve aren’t just intended to slow the rate of infection to levels the health-care system can manage. They’re also meant to buy us time. They give us the space to create what we need to make a real difference. ...

• Like 1

I offered my  RV to the local hospital to give their doctors and nurses a place to rest and escape. It makes me feel better to do something. They’re  risking their lives and health and that of their family going to war for us.

• Like 8

15 minutes ago, FoolOnTheHill said:

Too much scatter in the data to draw any conclusions, but at least 3/10 is an improvement on 3/9. 

It is not.  Every day we are still increasing by huge numbers, as that chart will show when it is filled in wiht the correct numbers.

21 minutes ago, chum said:

I offered my  RV to the local hospital to give their doctors and nurses a place to rest and escape. It makes me feel better to do something. They’re  risking their lives and health and that of their family going to war for us.

Since my work has shut down for at least the next two weeks, I sent emails to all the contacts I had from assorted companies that actually make medical supplies offering my services for free as a two week internship. I do industrial automation and robotics for a living, and know what it’s like when asked to turn the line up to eleven. Shit breaks constantly and it’s a beast to keep things going. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Raz'r said:

I talked to one of my coworkers today.  He was part of a ski group to Austria that came back about a week ago.  A couple days later, he and about half of the 30 person group all started feeling sick with flu-like symptoms.  His doctor told him to drink fluids, take cold medicine, and see if it got better.  He asked about getting tested and the doctor said no, not unless he started having trouble breathing and actually had to go to the hospital.

In essence,  the treatment at this point is the same for either a regular flu or corona, so there's no point in wasting resources unless he needs to directly interact with health care workers.  He's been sick now for about four days and is actually on the mend.  He's going to be out all next week anyway.  Ironically, he said he hopes it was Corona so he wouldn't have the run the gauntlet again.  I don't know if his doctor reported him to anyone but I know he's not been tested and won't get tested at this point unless he gets sick again or suddenly starts to deteriorate.

43 minutes ago, chum said:

Around here Grocery workers are looking for hazard pay.   Trader Joes has apparently begun boosting pay.   The Mothers Market chain have a petition out for same.   These folks are front line too.   The Moms I go to is packed with shoppers all day.   They let seniors and special needs folks only in at 6am for an hour of less crowded shopping.   They also offer free delivery to seniors.

47 minutes ago, blunderfull said:

Around here Grocery workers are looking for hazard pay.   Trader Joes has apparently begun boosting pay.   The Mothers Market chain have a petition out for same.   These folks are front line too.   The Moms I go to is packed with shoppers all day.   They let seniors and special needs folks only in at 6am for an hour of less crowded shopping.   They also offer free delivery to seniors.

in Australia Qantas is doing deals to supply otherwise out of work baggage handlers to the supermarkets to help keep them supplied and stocked.

The state of California now believes that....56% of the population of the state will become infected....think about that, this was from a presser the Gov. held this afternoon.

On a side note, I did 70 mph for 20 miles straight on the 405 northbound through the OC to LBC today at 5:15 pm.

Thanks to all those who helped me achieve a lifelong dream.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Coolerking said:

On a side note, I did 70 mph for 20 miles straight on the 405 northbound through the OC to LBC today at 5:15 pm.

I was considering making a "Corona virus positive in transit" sign for the back of my car.

Should be a good way of avoiding speeding fines....

2 hours ago, SCARECROW said:

in Australia Qantas is doing deals to supply otherwise out of work baggage handlers to the supermarkets to help keep them supplied and stocked.

So the toilet paper will just go missing for three months...

43 minutes ago, Gissie said:

So the toilet paper will just go missing for three months...

It's all going to Austria.

• Like 1

Well, it's official for all 40 million of us in California.

"California Gov. Gavin Newsom today issued a statewide order for all residents to ‘stay at home.’ The order is in place till further notice.  Essential services will stay open, however, such as pharmacies, grocery stores, takeout and delivery restaurants, and banks."

It will be interesting to see what States follow, and when.

11 minutes ago, P_Wop said:

"California Gov. Gavin Newsom today issued a statewide order for all residents to ‘stay at home.’ The order is in place till further notice.  Essential services will stay open, however, such as pharmacies, grocery stores, takeout and delivery restaurants, and banks."

Italy. Sigh.

Billy Joel tune - We didn't start the virus.

https://www.facebook.com/WSFM1017/videos/777788666085227/

5 hours ago, P_Wop said:

This made me wonder what hindsight will prove out to be.  If this continues, the U.S. will be crushed economically.  How will our creditors respond? 

Congress has repeatedly failed to balance the budget but instead handed financial windfalls to those who don't need it. 

For-profit health care has fallen flat on its ass.

The American ego allowed our leaders to believe we don't need help from anyone.

And the media is promoting the panic to make a buck causing people to panic-buy leaving nothing for those who need it most.

We're fucked.

14 minutes ago, Jules said:

This made me wonder what hindsight will prove out to be.  

And the media is promoting the panic to make a buck causing people to panic-buy leaving nothing for those who need it most.

We're fucked.

The media called Trump a racist for wanting to ban people coming in from China which in hindsight should have been done much earlier. Leftists like calling people racists when anyone dares to disagree with leftist idiocy.

SARS, Bird flu and Corona Virus all originated in China. China have been silencing and covering this up since December.

Yes you're fucked the TDS in your media has to be seen to be believed.

"Why was the United States not prepared" for a pandemic?

President Trump: “I called for a ban from people coming in from China long before anybody. In fact, it was your network, I believe they called me a racist because I did that.”

https://twitter.com/DailyCaller/status/1240676718110748672

6 hours ago, P_Wop said:

Pennsylvania shut down all non life sustaining businesses last night. I have a sub there on a “critical” program (according to the customer) but the customer has been teleworking and unable to deliver a large contract mod so the PA sub hasn’t been turned on for long lead material. We just killed the schedule for that program plus another ongoing program there. About $3.2M is revenue to that small business just got moved to 2021. That’s about 1/3 of their annual revenue. The rest is airline related. Oops.  They are going to need some help staying afloat. 

Very strong rumors from emergency preparedness folks that Maryland will shelter in place before Monday. I have 1/2 of my folks telecommuting and the rest (blue collar, of course) are starting Monday and I can cover them for 2-3 weeks. After that, I’m fucked trying to keep them (and us) afloat without some help. Need implementation policy on the “families first” act so we can do something. 

42 minutes ago, Mohammed Bin Lyin said:

The media called Trump a racist for wanting to ban people coming in from China which in hindsight should have been done much earlier. Leftists like calling people racists when anyone dares to disagree with leftist idiocy.

SARS, Bird flu and Corona Virus all originated in China. China have been silencing and covering this up since December.

Take it PA -- better yet just fuck right off asshole.

China says admonishing doctor and coronavirus whistleblower Li Wenliang was 'improper,' calls for punishing local officials

• Authorities in Beijing have wrapped up an investigation into the death of Li Wenliang, the doctor who blew the whistle on the coronavirus outbreak, and his admonishment by local law enforcement.
  • The National Supervisory Commission said on Thursday that investigators concluded that local authorities in Wuhan mishandled the situation and followed “irregular” and “improper” law-enforcement procedures, state media reported.
  • Li, one of eight doctors reprimanded by the police, was forced to sign a letter acknowledging that he was “making false comments.” He died from the coronavirus in early February.
  • Investigators recommended that officers involved in reprimanding Li should be punished. State media reported that the Wuhan Police Department had issued a formal apology to the doctor’s family.
  • Chinese investigators have determined that Wuhan law-enforcement officials’ admonishing of Li Wenliang, the doctor who blew the whistle on the coronavirus outbreak, was “improper,” state media reported on Thursday.
  • On December 30, Li sent a message to his former classmates from medical school warning that a handful of patients in Wuhan had symptoms similar to severe acute respiratory syndrome and urging them to be cautious.

Screenshots of Li’s message went viral. “I only wanted to remind my university classmates to be careful,” he later told CNN, adding, “When I saw them circulating online, I realised that it was out of my control and I would probably be punished.”

Li, one of eight doctors reprimanded by the police, was forced to sign a letter acknowledging that he was “making false comments.”

• The doctor checked in to Wuhan Central Hospital on January 12, later saying on Weibo that he had tested positive for the coronavirus. He died on February 7.

“During the fight against the novel coronavirus outbreak, Li Wenliang, an ophthalmologist at our hospital, was infected. Efforts to save him were ineffective. He died at 2:58 a.m. on Feb. 7. We deeply regret and mourn his death,” Wuhan Central Hospital said shortly after his death.

As Li’s death sparked public outrage, China’s Central Commission for Discipline Inspection said it would send investigators to look into “issues raised by the people in connection with Dr. Li,” Reuters reported.

• Putting the blame on local law enforcement, investigators recommended that the police officers involved in reprimanding Li be punished and that the letter of admonition be withdrawn.The US and China have sparred over who is to blame for the virus

• China has faced criticism, especially from the US, for its handling of the coronavirus outbreak. The virus has infected more than 220,000 people and killed more than 9,000 people worldwide since first appearing in Wuhan.

• The US and China have sparred over who is to blame for the virus

China has faced criticism, especially from the US, for its handling of the coronavirus outbreak. The virus has infected more than 220,000 people and killed more than 9,000 people worldwide since first appearing in Wuhan.

• “Rather than using best practices, this outbreak in Wuhan was covered up,” the White House national security adviser Robert O’Brien said last week, adding, “It probably cost the world community two months to respond.”

China has been working to reshape the narrative about the coronavirus, with some officials arguing that it may not have originated in China and some fuelling unfounded speculation that it may have originated in the US.

Last week, a Chinese foreign ministry spokesman drew the ire of the US State Department and the Department of Defence when he wrote on Twitter that “it might be US army who brought the epidemic to Wuhan.”

• In response, President Donald Trump has called the coronavirus the “Chinese virus.” “China was putting out information, which was false, that our military gave this to them,” he said at a recent press briefing. “Rather than have an argument, I said I have to call it where it came from, and it did come from China.”

• https://www.businessinsider.com.au/china-admits-punishing-coronavirus-whistleblower-li-wenliang-inappropriate-2020-3?utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=sf-bi-science&utm_source=facebook.com&fbclid=IwAR0-pH1lnQGQHtPg6PJfOFUcCN4187_ZV7PFEP8p859MsF1V91Y6ZtvT7vQ&r=US&IR=T

China tried to cover this up then tried to blame the US army for this China virus.

3400 healthcare workers infected with the China virus, does anyone really believe the Chinese government numbers after previous lies were exposed? https://www.businessinsider.com.au/healthcare-workers-getting-coronavirus-500-infected-2020-2?r=US&IR=T

Thanks China

Chloroquine: is a 70-year-old treatment for malaria the key to beating coronavirus?

Doctors in France offer glimmer of hope as they reveal a positive result from treatment.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/global-health/science-and-disease/chloroquine-70-year-old-treatment-malaria-key-beating-coronavirus/?fbclid=IwAR3aNg5gFT__-XEJuKq5gkDoZeMyXBuqHTrZfnAPxbCKKimg6YqcIG1iH9s

I took it every day for a year once upon a time in a land far far away....maybe I have a lasting build up....the drug is widely used in Africa for malaria...check the John Hopkins map...I would have thought Africa would be a mess by now

Australia lab may have found Covid-19 cure

Queensland University to launch human trials of two-drug treatment that has apparently cured virus-infected patients

SYDNEY – Australian researchers have been given the green light to start human trials of a promising drug treatment for the novel coronavirus after raising funds from donors in a remarkable global appeal. 

Covid-19 patients will be given two drugs previously used to treat AIDS and malaria at about 50 hospitals in Australia, with tests expected to start by the end of this month. The drugs reportedly eradicated the virus in lab tests.

“There have already been patients treated with these in Australia and there’s been successful outcomes, but it hasn’t been done in a controlled or comparative way,” said David Paterson, director of the Center for Clinical Research at Queensland University, which is leading the trials.

“What we want to do at the moment is a large clinical trial across Australia, looking at 50 hospitals, and what we’re going to compare is one drug versus another drug, versus the combination of the two drugs,” he said.

The team tracked the recovery of a 47-year-old woman from Wuhan, the original hotspot of the virus in China, who had mild-to-moderate symptoms from the virus and had no pre-existing health issues. She was admitted to a hospital in Australia and fully recovered within two weeks.

Kedzierska said that specific cells identified with influenza patients were spotted in her bloodstream three days before her health began to improve.

“We found in this patient at three days we could see emergence of immune cells in the blood. The immune cell populations we have seen emerging before patients recover are the same cells we see in influenza.

https://asiatimes.com/2020/03/australia-lab-to-human-test-reputed-covid-19-cure/

Does anyone believe the official number of deaths in Iran?

A reasonable person wouldn't believe anything the Mad Mullahs say.

Iran: Coronavirus Death Toll Exceeds 6,400 in 196 Cities

Confusion, chaos within the regime, local officials absent in Qom, Isfahan, no one to respond

The Peoples Mojahedin Organization of Iran (PMOI/MEK) announced this afternoon, March 18, that the death toll for the Coronavirus disaster in 196 cities across Iran has exceeded 6,400.

Added to other provinces, the number of victims in Qom is 790, in Tehran 800, Gilan 763, Isfahan 620, Khorasan 581, Mazandaran 530, Golestan 393, Khuzestan 207, and Hamedan 204.

The reports from the city of Qom indicate that contrary to the regime’s propaganda, there is an upward trend in the number of victims. The mortuaries are overloaded, and people openly curse at Khamenei (regime’s supreme leader) and blame him for their plight. Many clerics have left Qom, where the outbreak first began.

In Qom, Isfahan and some other corona-stricken cities, local authorities have left the city and do not show up for work for as long as they can, leaving lower rank officials to deal with the crisis. Most communications with the provincial and governorate offices, the municipality, and other state-related offices are left unanswered. This situation points to growing confusion and chaos within the regime.

This is while the regime leaders are deeply frightened about unrest and protests in Tehran and cities such as Qom, Isfahan, and Mashhad. They are particularly nervous about slums on the fringes of the cities while expressing privately that "unrest will erupt in areas such as Shahr-e-Rey, Eslamshahr, and Akbar Abad in the future. People are poor and can't even afford to buy alcohol and gloves.”

While the outlook of the Coronavirus crisis worsens due to the regime’s incompetence and weak infrastructure,  Hassan Rouhani,  who had previously suggested that the crisis will be over by March 7, 2020, ridiculously claimed that "We have now passed the peak in Qom and Gilan, our two most difficult cities…    In Gilan 20% of hospital beds are empty”!

This is while, Alireza Zali, head of Operations to Counter Coronavirus in Tehran, said: "Officials do not have a correct picture of our hospitals. They would realize the depth of the crisis only if they saw the number of hospitalized patients and those in critical condition., ". At the same time, a representative of Rouhani’s Ministry of Health acknowledged that 147 people had died in the past 24 hours from Coronavirus.

https://www.ncr-iran.org/en/news/human-rights/27576-iran-coronavirus-death-toll-exceeds-6-400-in-196-cities

2 hours ago, Mohammed Bin Lyin said:

"Why was the United States not prepared" for a pandemic?

President Trump: “I called for a ban from people coming in from China long before anybody. In fact, it was your network, I believe they called me a racist because I did that.”

Now go find all the things Trump said about this virus being no big deal.  Had he listened to his advisors, we would have been much better prepared and maybe we wouldn't be shutting the economy down.

Let's hope our creditors don't have any Mr. Potter in them.

14 hours ago, MR.CLEAN said:

It is not.  Every day we are still increasing by huge numbers, as that chart will show when it is filled in wiht the correct numbers.

Perhaps your estimate is better than CDCs.  They seem to think that data 7 days old has firmed up.

Now ... the 10th could be a low day in an upward trend as 7th and 2nd were.  There is too much scatter to make any inference from a one-day drop.  We'll know more at 16:00 EST.

1 hour ago, BravoBravo said:

Chloroquine: is a 70-year-old treatment for malaria the key to beating coronavirus?

Doctors in France offer glimmer of hope as they reveal a positive result from treatment.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/global-health/science-and-disease/chloroquine-70-year-old-treatment-malaria-key-beating-coronavirus/?fbclid=IwAR3aNg5gFT__-XEJuKq5gkDoZeMyXBuqHTrZfnAPxbCKKimg6YqcIG1iH9s

I took it every day for a year once upon a time in a land far far away....maybe I have a lasting build up....the drug is widely used in Africa for malaria...check the John Hopkins map...I would have thought Africa would be a mess by now

We have taken anti-malarials on occasion when cruising/travelling. The travel medical clinic prescribed other medications because of the wide range of side effects that chloroquine has. At this stage a wide range of existing medications are being tried but there is no indication of which one(s) if any may do the trick.

41 minutes ago, FoolOnTheHill said:

Perhaps your estimate is better than CDCs.  They seem to think that data 7 days old has firmed up.

Now ... the 10th could be a low day in an upward trend as 7th and 2nd were.  There is too much scatter to make any inference from a one-day drop.  We'll know more at 16:00 EST.

Nope

So for some perspective, the total world wide deaths from Corona virus to date is about 1/3 the number of deaths in the US alone from H1N1 in 2018. We hardly batted an eye at that one but we're on the verge of destroying our economy over this one. Perhaps the most successful nation to fight this outbreak so far has been S. Korea and they didn't shut down.

“Financial markets paused their slide Thursday, but no one should think this rolling economic calamity is over. If this government-ordered shutdown continues for much more than another week or two, the human cost of job losses and bankruptcies will exceed what most Americans imagine. This won’t be popular to read in some quarters, but federal and state officials need to start adjusting their anti-virus strategy now to avoid an economic recession that will dwarf the harm from 2008-2009”.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/rethinking-the-coronavirus-shutdown-11584659154

And for a little more perspective, one of my coworkers who tested positive last Tuesday, died last night. He was a healthy guy in his fifties. 

I know that nobody is travelling right now; but in case you really-really-really need to take that international flight, or you know someone, a loved one, who needs to. A good source of the latest restriction for travelers; per countries:

https://www.iatatravelcentre.com/international-travel-document-news/1580226297.htm

Please note that not all country are there. Namely, I could not find UK...

19 minutes ago, Monkey said:

And for a little more perspective, one of my coworkers who tested positive last Tuesday, died last night. He was a healthy guy in his fifties. 

Why are we not talking more about this?

Is there a cooperative effort to avoid panic?  I find it hard to believe that the media would do anything responsible, much less coordinated.

Younger and fit people do die from this virus.  And more often than we are to believe?

Are the food chain supplies ok?  I have to question this.   Shelves have been fleeced here for a while now.  Not a panic, sure... but why is the TP still gone?  That should have saturated the preppers a week or two ago, and then the supply chain caught up.

Milk eggs flour?  All pretty much gone still.  Can you find it?  Sure... but do I need to go to 3 grocery stores?

I even waited too long to place an order at Sailrite!  I would expect them to shutter for a few weeks any day now.  

Still too busy to take down the Christmas lights.  

Ok after the adjustment period... this shit is real !!!!

it will bigger than anything we have experienced in our lifetime 

this will be long lasting months and months and months... we are still in the honeymoon period in the major disruptions in our everyday life not even dealing with the medical threat. 

These daily presidential updates are not the camera FaceTime we are accustomed to. This  is again something still unknown and something we have NEVER experienced and have NO idea what everyday life will be like on the other side

14 minutes ago, Windward said:

Time to turn them back on.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dog said:

So for some perspective, the total world wide deaths from Corona virus to date is about 1/3 the number of deaths in the US alone from H1N1 in 2018. We hardly batted an eye at that one but we're on the verge of destroying our economy over this one. Perhaps the most successful nation to fight this outbreak so far has been S. Korea and they didn't shut down.

You may want to look into the differences of the two diseases.. One is very deadly, but none very contagious... The other one, slightly more lethal than the common flu, but extremely contagious, and with disease carriers infecting others, long before developing symptoms, due to a really long incubation period... 
The risk of attracting H1N1, was really small, but the disease was agressive..

Sars-Cov2 - we're probably all going to get it - some of us will die from that experience - how's that for perspective?

49 minutes ago, BravoBravo said:

Ok after the adjustment period... this shit is real !!!!

You're a hard puzzle to figure out.. What suddenly changed your point of view?

1 hour ago, Monkey said:

I'm sorry to hear that - sincerely.  We have some family members that are young and at risk - this scares the stink outta me. If I go?  My wife will get enough life insurance to buy a good husband next time.  

18 hours ago, Streetwise said:

Sailing in VT?  Isn't there still ice? 

We're *not quite* warm enough here.  Highs supposed to be in the 40s this weekend.  If I'm allowed to go out, I may go for another hike.

Cracked me up the morning.............a "youngster" driving his truck like a frigging idiot at extreme speed and dashing in and out (saw him coming up behind me) on a local street. By happenstance of red lights I pulled up beside him, looked over and gave him the universal WTF palms up look. He rolled down his passenger window and shouted "I hope you get the virus and die". :lol: I couldn't stop laughing..........

25 minutes ago, Point Break said:

Cracked me up the morning.............a "youngster" driving his truck like a frigging idiot at extreme speed and dashing in and out (saw him coming up behind me) on a local street. By happenstance of red lights I pulled up beside him, looked over and gave him the universal WTF palms up look. He rolled down his passenger window and shouted "I hope you get the virus and die". :lol: I couldn't stop laughing..........

This panic mania ,guy in truck, is why we could very soon wake up to a national lock down National Guard and LOE roadway closure enforcement  ...I know I sound nutty ....a mandatory national lock down could be happening very soon, both for the virus but most importantly crowd control and public protection.. I stopped at my regular Publix to get some milk and as I walked in it was a very different look , all of the shelves were half empty, there are already supply chain shortages , and I live 50 miles from the national HQ and humongous distribution center for Publix ...

News today is about a malaria drug, around for forty years, is being prescribed now, today, to "certain individuals" to prevent the effects of exposure, and contraction of coronavirus.

CDC says that a" testing program" is occurring now that is providing this drug to people infected, and not infected caregivers. 

Not enough of this for "the general population".

Being used in S.Korea as well.

20 minutes ago, BravoBravo said:

This panic mania ,guy in truck, is why we could very soon wake up to a national lock down National Guard and LOE roadway closure enforcement  ...I know I sound nutty ....a mandatory national lock down could be happening very soon, both for the virus but most importantly crowd control and public protection.. I stopped at my regular Publix to get some milk and as I walked in it was a very different look , all of the shelves were half empty, there are already supply chain shortages , and I live 50 miles from the national HQ and humongous distribution center for Publix ...

So far that idiot is the exception to those I have encountered. 95% of the folks I have run into are polite and space giving (literally and figuratively). Hopefully the innate goodness in folks will be the more typical situation. Once again I thought about picking up a handgun and after thinking about it for a bit and decided against it again.  

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, jhc said:

News today is about a malaria drug, around for forty years, is being prescribed now, today, to "certain individuals" to prevent the effects of exposure, and contraction of coronavirus.

CDC says that a" testing program" is occurring now that is providing this drug to people infected, and not infected caregivers. 

Chloroquine...similar to quinine.  Anyone up for a Mt Gay and tonic?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, jhc said:

Google Chloroquine side effects. Hope it works. We could use a miracle. If it is effective I suspect it would make most sense to use it in a targeted way. It comes with its own set of risks.

1 hour ago, bplipschitz said:

Sailing in VT?  Isn't there still ice? 

We're *not quite* warm enough here.  Highs supposed to be in the 40s this weekend.  If I'm allowed to go out, I may go for another hike.

It was a metaphor.

4 minutes ago, weightless said:

Google Chloroquine side effects. Hope it works. We could use a miracle. If it is effective I suspect it would make most sense to use it in a targeted way. It comes with its own set of risks.

Just did:

Tell your doctor right away if you have any serious side effects, including: bleaching of haircolor, hair loss, mental/mood changes (such as confusion, personality changes, unusual thoughts/behavior, depression), hearing changes (such as ringing in the ears, hearing loss), darkening of skin/tissue inside the mouth, worsening of skin conditions (such as dermatitis, psoriasis), signs of serious infection (such as high fever, severe chills, persistent sore throat), unusual tiredness, swelling legs/ankles, shortness of breath, pale lips/nails/skin, signs of liver disease (such as severe stomach/abdominal pain, yellowing eyes/skin, dark urine), easy bruising/bleeding, muscle weakness, unwanted/uncontrolled movements (including tongue and face twitching).

Remind you of anyone?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Windward said:

Why are we not talking more about this?

Is there a cooperative effort to avoid panic?  I find it hard to believe that the media would do anything responsible, much less coordinated.

Younger and fit people do die from this virus.  And more often than we are to believe?

Are the food chain supplies ok?  I have to question this.   Shelves have been fleeced here for a while now.  Not a panic, sure... but why is the TP still gone?  That should have saturated the preppers a week or two ago, and then the supply chain caught up.

Milk eggs flour?  All pretty much gone still.  Can you find it?  Sure... but do I need to go to 3 grocery stores?

I even waited too long to place an order at Sailrite!  I would expect them to shutter for a few weeks any day now.  

A local St. Louis easy listening station started broadcasting Xmas tunes last night, and local folks are putting their Xmas lights back up.

The End Times are here.

21 minutes ago, Streetwise said:

It was a metaphor.

That's ok -- I would like to believe you're out sailing in sunny, warm VT!

46 minutes ago, jewingiv said:

Chloroquine...similar to quinine.  Anyone up for a Mt Gay and tonic?

Actually back in the day in India -Burma-China the British drank even more gin than they usually did to fight the affects of malaria....errr the Shanghai shivers in pre PC days :D

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jhc said:

I'm confused...
"is being prescribed now, today, to "certain individuals" to prevent the effects of exposure, and contraction of coronavirus."

seems different from:

"is providing this drug to people infected, and not infected caregivers. "

So what/who are they attempting to do something with?  Or are these two different topics?

Yes, two different topics.

1) being prescribed.

2) in testing.

To both infected persons, and exposed caregivers.

Actually back in the day in India -Burma-China the British drank even more gin than they usually did to fight the affects of malaria....errr the Shanghai shivers in pre PC days :D

Turns out it wasn't the gin.  It was the tonic.  

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Monkey said:

sorry man, that sucks.

19 hours ago, Coolerking said:

The state of California now believes that....56% of the population of the state will become infected....think about that, this was from a presser the Gov. held this afternoon.

2D3A1ECF-8DF2-4E9A-96D3-6F70C185553D.jpeg

• Like 1

As if Coronavirus wasn’t enough , there are antennas on alert... Romania 

6 hours ago, Monkey said:

Sorry to hear that.  Stay safe as you can.

30 minutes ago, BravoBravo said:

What does this mean?

57 minutes ago, Raz'r said:

sorry man, that sucks.

Thanks. It made for a weird vibe at work today, as if it wasn’t weird enough it was our last day before a two week shutdown. Now we all wait and see who gets sick. There’s already a few, but I’m sure the list will grow. 

1 hour ago, sshow bob said:

What does this mean?

Bugs in the lettuce would be my guess.

2 hours ago, Innocent Bystander said:

Turns out it wasn't the gin.  It was the tonic.  

Thank you, gin and tonic all 'round it is

6 hours ago, Latadjust said:

Thank you, gin and tonic all 'round it is

GnT the only mixed drink where you add the alcohol to make it easier to drink.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, silent bob said:

2D3A1ECF-8DF2-4E9A-96D3-6F70C185553D.jpeg

Madness....Here in Pennsylvania our governor has shut down the economy for all but “life sustaining” business apparently unaware that the economy itself is life sustaining.

I'm more afraid of the hysteria and my government than I am of this virus.

• Like 1
  • Downvote 2

8 minutes ago, Blue Crab said:

"We're from the government and here to help."

Rumor has it the state of CT may shut down all businesses on Monday, except for medical facilities, and "essential" businesses.  Fortunately my job is at an essential business, mil-spec products.  Long lines at the liquor store last night, I expect the shelves will be empty soon.  The local supermarket and Walgreens were totally out of paper towels, napkins, toilet paper and baby wipes.