BravoBravo

"2019-nCoV"

22 hours ago, bplipschitz said:

Oral or. . .?

Do you know how to tell the difference between a Oral Thermometer and a Anal Thermometer?

By the taste!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, shaggy said:

OK Boomer!!!  you use brylcreem and Bruit aftershave as well??  

you left out Jade East and English Leather :)

3 hours ago, mad said:

Not that modern..................unless you're really old! :P

Fukin Unilever.  I think they're the modern incarnation of the old British Empire.  Is there anything they don't own besides maybe Amazon?

6 hours ago, Jules said:

It may just be they are afraid of the panic it would cause if they used them and made public the results.

I suspect there's something to that.

They say that the reason they are not testing is that they need to stockpile the tests in anticipation of an inundation of ICU cases. That doesn't make sense to me. I think finding and isolating community cases could make a real difference in how acute the problem is at hospitals. At any rate, the last word was they are only allowing tests for people who are symptomatic, test negative for flu ~and~ have contact with a confirmed case or have recently traveled to Italy, China or ROK. That's it. They're not making a big push for social measures either. They are going to let it run its course at its natural pace. Why they think that is a good plan is a mystery to me. We're in the tropics. Maybe they think that will help?

https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=3550308

Abstract

A significant number of infectious diseases display seasonal patterns in their incidence, including human coronaviruses. We hypothesize that SARS-CoV-2 does as well. To date, Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19), caused by SARS-CoV-2, has established significant community spread in cities and regions only along a narrow east west distribution roughly along the 30-50 N” corridor at consistently similar weather patterns (5-11OC and 47-79% humidity). There has been a lack of significant community establishment in expected locations that are based only on population proximity and extensive population interaction through travel. We have proposed a simplified model that shows a zone at increased risk for COVID-19 spread. Using weather modeling, it may be possible to predict the regions most likely to be at higher risk of significant community spread of COVID-19 in the upcoming weeks, allowing for concentration of public health efforts on surveillance and containment.

2 hours ago, weightless said:

I suspect there's something to that.

They say that the reason they are not testing is that they need to stockpile the tests in anticipation of an inundation of ICU cases. That doesn't make sense to me. I think finding and isolating community cases could make a real difference in how acute the problem is at hospitals. At any rate, the last word was they are only allowing tests for people who are symptomatic, test negative for flu ~and~ have contact with a confirmed case or have recently traveled to Italy, China or ROK. That's it. They're not making a big push for social measures either. They are going to let it run its course at its natural pace. Why they think that is a good plan is a mystery to me. We're in the tropics. Maybe they think that will help?

https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=3550308

Abstract

A significant number of infectious diseases display seasonal patterns in their incidence, including human coronaviruses. We hypothesize that SARS-CoV-2 does as well. To date, Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19), caused by SARS-CoV-2, has established significant community spread in cities and regions only along a narrow east west distribution roughly along the 30-50 N” corridor at consistently similar weather patterns (5-11OC and 47-79% humidity). There has been a lack of significant community establishment in expected locations that are based only on population proximity and extensive population interaction through travel. We have proposed a simplified model that shows a zone at increased risk for COVID-19 spread. Using weather modeling, it may be possible to predict the regions most likely to be at higher risk of significant community spread of COVID-19 in the upcoming weeks, allowing for concentration of public health efforts on surveillance and containment.

Fake News!!!!  Well except the good bits right??  ...  I fear the truth is not what we are gonna get and that we may be heading to a lockdown of states with a high concentration of older folks as some dumb stopgap.  This is wrong on so many levels...  Just come out and tell us the fricking truth already...  The fact that it is politicized is retarded.  Wife has to go see her sick mother wed.  Need info.  No BS.  I fear that is not what we are gonna get and that we may be heading to a lockdown of states with a high concentration of older folks as some dumb stopgap.  We are sorely lacking in leadership on this.  I am learning tidbits from fucking sports radio, Sports frigging radio, and not the WH or the Prez..  WTF???

BTW not scared of covid, scared of the incompetence that is stumbling bigley with the logistics...  

36 minutes ago, shaggy said:

I am learning tidbits from fucking sports radio, Sports frigging radio, and not the WH or the Prez..  WTF???

Yah - this thread has become the most comprehensive source I know.   I appreciate the work you guys are putting into this dialogue, bigly, but there should be some meaningful first order resource out there.

This here be a shit show boys.  We are 11 days behind Italy.  Think about that.  Our testing..  Errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr...  Knowledge...... started 11 days after a country, that is now entirely shut down (first world country btw...)because of the thing our govmnt denied existed here 11 days ago. 

Now, look where Italy was 11 days ago.....  Thats us today, with arguably more infected as testing has not even started yet on the scale needed because of the vanity of 1 orange-utan..  And the fact that 3/4 of this country, including the highest office in the land, does not see this is mind boggling.  We are seriously gonna be fucked for the next month at least.  

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, sshow bob said:

Yah - this thread has become the most comprehensive source I know.   I appreciate the work you guys are putting into this dialogue, bigly, but there should be some meaningful first order resource out there.

For tidbits, one of the large USA HQ consumer products manufacturers (toweling, tissue, diapers, etc.) has now prohibited any supplier visits to manufacturing plants (and office sites).  Other customers of ours (who are large multi-nationals, such as steel manufacturers, chemical processors) are so far (only) requiring self-reporting on travel history for site visits.  Must be submitted in advance for approval to enter by management and/or safety execs.

34 minutes ago, shaggy said:

This here be a shit show boys.  We are 11 days behind Italy.  Think about that.  Our testing..  Errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr...  Knowledge...... started 11 days after a country, that is now entirely shut down (first world country btw...)because of the thing our govmnt denied existed here 11 days ago. 

Now, look where Italy was 11 days ago.....  Thats us today, with arguably more infected as testing has not even started yet on the scale needed because of the vanity of 1 orange-utan..  And the fact that 3/4 of this country, including the highest office in the land, does not see this is mind boggling.  We are seriously gonna be fucked for the next month at least.  

I should know better than debating numbers,  but I am not sure how you are defining "behind" Italy.  I really am not trying to argue, just curious.  According to WHO and CDC published reports, the first "official" case in Italy was diagnosed Feb 20.  As of Feb 23, USA had 14 cases reported plus another 40-50 cases from repatriated folks on evac flights.

I certainly concur with the problem about testing.  That is kind of embarrassing for the CDC to have botched things so.  But I am not sure the course of spread would really be any different regardless of who is in charge in DC.

9 minutes ago, BayRacer said:

I should know better than debating numbers,  but I am not sure how you are defining "behind" Italy.  I really am not trying to argue, just curious.  According to WHO and CDC published reports, the first "official" case in Italy was diagnosed Feb 20.  As of Feb 23, USA had 14 cases reported plus another 40-50 cases from repatriated folks on evac flights.

I certainly concur with the problem about testing.  That is kind of embarrassing for the CDC to have botched things so.  But I am not sure the course of spread would really be any different regardless of who is in charge in DC.

Boothy (i think) posted a chart somewhere today.  

1 hour ago, BayRacer said:

For tidbits, one of the large USA HQ consumer products manufacturers (toweling, tissue, diapers, etc.) has now prohibited any supplier visits to manufacturing plants (and office sites).  Other customers of ours (who are large multi-nationals, such as steel manufacturers, chemical processors) are so far (only) requiring self-reporting on travel history for site visits.  Must be submitted in advance for approval to enter by management and/or safety execs.

My company has the same policy in effect. It hasn’t had the slightest effect on production. It’s actually rather nice being able to stop the sales reps. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, shaggy said:

Boothy (i think) posted a chart somewhere today.  

Where is Boothy posting charts these days???

6 hours ago, silent bob said:

Do you know how to tell the difference between a Oral Thermometer and a Anal Thermometer?

By the taste!

I thought they are interchangable, so long as you wipe them down with alcohol!! LOL! :ph34r:

Just now, billy backstay said:

Where is Boothy posting charts these days???

Mostly pin-ups on some dank wall deep in Mexico.

3 minutes ago, Windward said:

Mostly pin-ups on some dank wall deep in Mexico.

"charts" is a new name for pin-ups?  Must be a SoCal, Baja thing.....?

I recall Boothy saying he was in New Mexico. Over toward Texas. Years ago now tho.

……………………..………………….

On the virus: I heard someone opine that we were two weeks out of hospital overwhelm. 

Coastal Carolina update: At the grocery store today, it looked quite normal with exceptions: Hand wipe stuff gone of course. Big jars of mayonnaise gone. All the inexpensive toilet waper (there's a malaprop for ye)  …. gone. 

No biggie. I buy the high dollar  waper because, you know, I'm a sensitive guy. I currently have a two pak, ie two 6 mega rolls equaling 24 regular rolls [that's 48 if you're keeping score at home even tho it only looks like 12] of "thickest ever" Angel Soft wapers x two x 425 sheets per mega roll ….. click click click … tap tap tap, carry the 14 …. probably equals a pretty big number of individual toilet waper sheets. 

After another bong hit, I calculate I possess more than 10,200 sheets of waper. I say more as I already possessed a coupla and a half rolls before this crisis. Not sure if they're mega rolls.

Hey, shit happens.

This might be too much info, but you can set yer Rolex by me bowel movements: Big Ben got nuttin on Big Blue. So I figure if we're being rationed on TW, like only using one sheet per … ah … episode, I have enough waper for … call it 11,000 episodes. In round numbers I have enough toilet waper for the next 30 years.

I got this.  

Whatever shit Mers doc friend sprayed on this danna is just nasty. It may kill corona but gonna kill me first!

Sprayed on the mask thingy?  Thats a new one...  

I didn't even know that was a solution?  (bad pun...)

Your plane looks like its listing to starboard.

This is the way the world ends. Not with a bang,...

Edit  - can't make it right side up. Fitting. 

20200310_204759.jpg

1 minute ago, sshow bob said:

This is the way the world ends. Not with a bang,...

20200310_204759.jpg

Ozzie supermarket?

• Like 3

Front line of nurses/docs trained in Infectious Diseases may become most important determinant in covid19 battle according to Osterholm in that Rogan interview.  

As he relates in that email from Milan doctor - are there enough rooms in hospitals?

Anybody here still gonna vote for the dumbfuck-in-chief after he badly botched the handling of this virus?

49 minutes ago, MikeR80 said:

Anybody here still gonna vote for the dumbfuck-in-chief after he badly botched the handling of this virus?

The entire “make only enough” to get by has been going on for some time.  Too much of vaccines, masks & whatever we depend on China to provide.   How crazy is that now?

So, Sunday night/Monday morning I came down with the flu.  Hopefully not THAT one.  I've been mostly at home isolating myself the last couple of days.  Just waiting to see how the symptoms progress to see if there is a correlation with the Covid-19 symptoms in which case I may need to get tested.  Luckily Mrs. Rain Man is a health professional and can advise.  She does not have what I have.  Fingers crossed it is just something generic I picked up on public transportation which I have been using lately.  

If it turns out to be "the nasty" I will report back on what happens.   We have lots of toilet paper so we are not panicking.:ph34r:

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Rain Man said:

So, Sunday night/Monday morning I came down with the flu.  Hopefully not THAT one.  I've been mostly at home isolating myself the last couple of days.  Just waiting to see how the symptoms progress to see if there is a correlation with the Covid-19 symptoms in which case I may need to get tested.  Luckily Mrs. Rain Man is a health professional and can advise.  She does not have what I have.  Fingers crossed it is just something generic I picked up on public transportation which I have been using lately.  

If it turns out to be "the nasty" I will report back on what happens.   We have lots of toilet paper so we are not panicking.:ph34r:

Get well. I hate the flu! Haven’t had it since I started getting the flu shots about a decade ago. Not saying that’s the only reason but I think it’s certainly helped. 

The toilet paper thing (I know you’re kidding) has cracked me up.........ummm.......it’s a respiratory virus........hello.........

‘On the up side, I figured out how to eliminate the line at the grocery store........just cough a couple times and then remark “boy my cough is a lot worse since I got back from China”..........BOOM no line.......

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Zonker said:

3 weeks ago Italy had 3 cases....

that they knew of.....

John Travolta thought to have contracted COVID19.

Doctors confirmed this was only a slight case of saturday night fever.

Spokesman for Travolta says he feels fine and is staying alive.:ph34r:

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Rain Man said:

Guy that works for me was out Wed-Mon with Influenza A.  He's in his 40s.  I said "did you get a flu shot?"

"No, but never again am I not going to get one.  That sucked."

8 hours ago, Rain Man said:

So, Sunday night/Monday morning I came down with the flu.  Hopefully not THAT one.  I've been mostly at home isolating myself the last couple of days.

I remember a time when you were SUPPOSED to go to work, no matter how badly you felt, and no matter how contagious you might be.  So there may be a good side to this.

Hope that it's not THAT one and you get well soon.

11 hours ago, MikeR80 said:

Apparently this moron actually  fancies himself ‘a natural’ at this disease thing because his uncle was a ‘super genius’.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-politics/trump-healthcare-us-medicine-coronavirus-centers-for-disease-control-a9384441.html

Dave Grohl went down hard falling off the front of the stage, broke his ankle.

The band poked along without him for an hour(?) and he returns on a stretcher, gets propped up in a chair and a Medic holds his foot while he gets back to work finishing the show.

Virus schmirus.

21 hours ago, shaggy said:

Fake News!!!!  Well except the good bits right??  ...  I fear the truth is not what we are gonna get and that we may be heading to a lockdown of states with a high concentration of older folks as some dumb stopgap.  This is wrong on so many levels...  Just come out and tell us the fricking truth already...  The fact that it is politicized is retarded.  Wife has to go see her sick mother wed.  Need info.  No BS.  I fear that is not what we are gonna get and that we may be heading to a lockdown of states with a high concentration of older folks as some dumb stopgap.  We are sorely lacking in leadership on this.  I am learning tidbits from fucking sports radio, Sports frigging radio, and not the WH or the Prez..  WTF???

BTW not scared of covid, scared of the incompetence that is stumbling bigley with the logistics...  

"No testing, no worries!" battle cry of the Admin.

3 hours ago, Point Break said:

Get well. I hate the flu! Haven’t had it since I started getting the flu shots about a decade ago. Not saying that’s the only reason but I think it’s certainly helped. 

The toilet paper thing (I know you’re kidding) has cracked me up.........ummm.......it’s a respiratory virus........hello.........

‘On the up side, I figured out how to eliminate the line at the grocery store........just cough a couple times and then remark “boy my cough is a lot worse since I got back from China”..........BOOM no line.......

This year's flu is only slowed down by this year's vaccine, assuming I had the normal flu and not Covid. I did have all the symptoms of Covid, (high fever for 3 days, low grade for another week, deep lung infection, nasty green shit) but it was early Feb. Yes, it is possible that I had that but not likely.

I am not making this up: One of the clerks at a local store is going on a cruise next week with her entire extended family! She's not losing that money by God! 

Hey, and remind me again why we're going to bail out the cruise industry?

Image result for gifs of panic

• Like 2

1 hour ago, hobot said:

Dave Grohl went down hard falling off the front of the stage, broke his ankle.

The band poked along without him for an hour(?) and he returns on a stretcher, gets propped up in a chair and a Medic holds his foot while he gets back to work finishing the show.

Virus schmirus.

Its hard not to like his approach to his gig. 

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Raz'r said:

This year's flu is only slowed down by this year's vaccine, assuming I had the normal flu and not Covid. I did have all the symptoms of Covid, (high fever for 3 days, low grade for another week, deep lung infection, nasty green shit) but it was early Feb. Yes, it is possible that I had that but not likely.

Probably flu. Although the symptoms are similar, the primary COVID19 symptoms are cough and sore throat (usually sore throat presents first) and "shortness of breath" (SOB). Also low grade fever (initially). Had a pulmonologist recently suggest to me that a way to sort through the SOB thing is to try to take a very deep breath. If you cannot or cannot without coughing fit and have the other indications you are a candidate for testing, especially if you have had some contact/travel history......although as community transmissions increase in number, the close contact thing will become less of a differential factor.

I've had good luck with the flu vaccine, although I'm an "obligate handwasher" from my years in EMS, and now that I am retired am able to steer clear of sick folks for the most part. Hard to attribute my lack of the flu to any single factor...........correlation is not causation........but it seems like its helped.

28 minutes ago, Point Break said:

Probably flu. Although the symptoms are similar, the primary COVID19 symptoms are cough and sore throat (usually sore throat presents first) and "shortness of breath" (SOB). Also low grade fever (initially). Had a pulmonologist recently suggest to me that a way to sort through the SOB thing is to try to take a very deep breath. If you cannot or cannot without coughing fit and have the other indications you are a candidate for testing, especially if you have had some contact/travel history......although as community transmissions increase in number, the close contact thing will become less of a differential factor.

I've had good luck with the flu vaccine, although I'm an "obligate handwasher" from my years in EMS, and now that I am retired am able to steer clear of sick folks for the most part. Hard to attribute my lack of the flu to any single factor...........correlation is not causation........but it seems like its helped.

Oh, I definitely had the "breath deep and have a coughing fit"- hell, one month later and I still get a coughing fit if I laugh. But I agree likely just the flu. The interesting thing is about 10-15 of us came down with it, and the commonality was we were all at a sales conference, locked in a room for 3 days, including people from Italy and SE asia in the room. 

• Like 1

I was in west marine 2 days ago and im not fucking kidding,  some idiot had a cart full of  of the marine style TP,  130 dollars later all i could do was shake my head and smile. 

What happened to the first 18 COVID's?

Asking for a sick friend. 

https://www.who.int/dg/speeches/detail/who-director-general-s-opening-remarks-at-the-media-briefing-on-covid-19---11-march-2020

"WHO has been assessing this outbreak around the clock and we are deeply concerned both by the alarming levels of spread and severity, and by the alarming levels of inaction.

We cannot say this loudly enough, or clearly enough, or often enough: all countries can still change the course of this pandemic.

If countries detect, test, treat, isolate, trace, and mobilize their people in the response, those with a handful of cases can prevent those cases becoming clusters, and those clusters becoming community transmission.

Even those countries with community transmission or large clusters can turn the tide on this virus. 

Several countries have demonstrated that this virus can be suppressed and controlled. 

The challenge for many countries who are now dealing with large clusters or community transmission is not whether they can do the same – it’s whether they will. 

..."

• Like 1

We are in CT. We moved out of NY because of a shopping cart attack on my wife (Oct 2011) and my post 9/11 belief that cities would  become ever more dangerous for many reasons ranging from a Carrington Event, to disease and terrorism.  

My wife and son have severe PTSD from her shopping cart injury. They are both very agitated and stressed so I’m giving in to their requests to limit exposure  

No one will be allowed back in our house who goes to nyc or takes a train/plane after Friday.  My wife’s caregiver is taking an extended holiday and immediate family is hunkering down here. 

We are simply curtailing high risk situations.  Whole Foods and local shops will be ok to visit but we will wash hands etc after going out and will not get close to strangers.   

If the rate of growth slows or peaks, we can change our policy at any time.  For now, we are going to do a soft semi-quarantine.  

Houston just cancelled the remainder of the Rodeo as of 4pm today. Turns out someone with the virus was at the BBQ cookoff that precedes the rodeo.  Stopped by the grocery and a guy with a bunch of TP asked the checker if she knew when they would be getting water again, she replied no idea.  I hadn't even noticed as I only buy bottled water for the occasions when there is no alternative. 

There are some really stupid old farts here.

• Like 2

NCAA has announced that its championship tourneys will be played without fans in the arenas.  Only essential personnel and limited family attendees.

University of WI announced no in-person classes until at least April 13, subject to extension.  That is 2 weeks after their spring break.  I suppose concern is 40K students dispersing all over the country and bringing it back to campus.  Quite a few of the U of WI system schools (Green Bay, La Crosse, Milwaukee) are doing the same thing.

NCAA announced no general public fans for basketball tourney.  That will be something to see on TV, though the novelty will wear off pretty quick.

We have one daughter at Madison who is scheduled to go to Mexico for break (with her boyfriend's family).  Right now we are debating the wisdom of this.  Not concerned with the risk to a healthy 20 year old, the problem is what if on return someone else on plane is symptomatic at O'Hare immigration.  Does the whole planeload get quarantined?  Where?  Logistics of access to her laptop and textbooks could be an issue since students must be out of dorms by this Sunday, but lugging books to Mexico and back would be a pain.

Other daughter qualified for college equestrian regional champs in TX in a couple weeks.  I booked a flight to go watch.  Now waiting for either her school to cancel athletics trips or host school to (WT A&M) to postpone/cancel event or restrict fans.

15 minutes ago, jerseyguy said:

NCAA has announced that its championship tourneys will be played without fans in the arenas.  Only essential personnel and limited family attendees.

That's a huge amount of money lost to those communities, obviously. Real leaders are making those hard decisions. Kudos.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, jerseyguy said:

wow. What about Vegas?

3 minutes ago, Raz'r said:

wow. What about Vegas?

I would imagine that oddsmakers are going to have to do some serious math once the brackets are announced.

And the NCAA says it is looking for an arena smaller than ATL’s Mercedes Benz Arena for the men’s final four.

I am not worried about it anymore than catching the seasonal flu...

23 minutes ago, BravoBravo said:

I am not worried about it anymore than catching the seasonal flu...

FFS.. it's not about you... It's about containing the shit, so it doesn't spread and kill those with a weaker immune system.. or kill someone else because they can't be treated due to the healthcare system collapsing...

Your statement is incredibly selfish, and that's exactly what's wrong, and why this shit show is getting out of hand.

Denmark has been closed down for the coming two weeks as a means to contain the virus. We've seen the number of infected rise from 35 Monday morning, to 514 as of tonight, and the authorities have a fear that it is no longer just related to people returning from travel.

This is going to wreak havoc to the economy.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Kaptajnen said:

FFS.. it's not about you... It's about containing the shit, so it doesn't spread and kill those with a weaker immune system.. or kill someone else because they can't be treated due to the healthcare system collapsing...

Your statement is incredibly selfish, and that's exactly what's wrong, and why this shit show is getting out of hand.

Denmark has been closed down for the coming two weeks as a means to contain the virus. We've seen the number of infected rise from 35 Monday morning, to 514 as of tonight, and the authorities have a fear that it is no longer just related to people returning from travel.

This is going to wreak havoc to the economy.

What would me worrying do to make a difference....I don't believe it is anymore of a threat to me than season flu and the statistics bare that out...so other than not having a vaccine I am not concerned  

Worried? Well......not really “worried” but I am doing what I can to avoid an exposure and infection. It doesn’t run my life but it does change a couple things while it all sorts out. The risk is low but not zero. Fatality rates are much higher for older folks. I don’t have any real comorbidities But I am in a higher risk age group. Once infected, there is NO cure. You win or you lose with supportive care only. Younger? Better odds.....zero? Sorry that’s not the case. So.....worried? No. Increased awareness and reasonable precautions? Sure.

• Like 2

Our clueless guv just instituted a mandatory ban on gatherings of more than 250. About 3 weeks to late.

For as much as people freaked out over China's reaction, it seems they were correct in their actions. 

We, with all are freedoms, are a petri dish for this damn thing.

But watch what happens here, it will Domino into the rest of the states pretty quickly. 

While I'm personally not concerned for my or my families safety, the long term global, economic fallout  will be catastrophic.

WL

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1

1 minute ago, White Lightning2 said:

global, economic fallout  will be catastrophic.

The political fallout may be catastrophic, too. "Interesting" times.

13 minutes ago, White Lightning2 said:

While I'm personally not concerned for my or my families safety, the long term global, economic fallout  will be catastrophic.

9 minutes ago, weightless said:

The political fallout may be catastrophic, too. "Interesting" times.

23 minutes ago, BravoBravo said:

What would me worrying do to make a difference....I don't believe it is anymore of a threat to me than season flu and the statistics bare that out...so other than not having a vaccine I am not concerned  

The covid19 might not be a threat to you personally.. but the above posts are what you should be worried about..

The implications are going to be extreme.. people will die, others will loose their job.. that's what worries me.. 

I'm probably not at risk, but if infected I could pass it on to someone less fortunate.. you'd have to be quite the ass not to worry about that!

Edited by Kaptajnen
*a
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Kaptajnen said:

The covid19 might not be a threat to you personally.. but the above posts are what you should be worried about..

To be clear, when I say the political fallout may be catastrophic I'm not worried about some political party or other winning some election. I'm worried about the failure of institutions.

12 minutes ago, weightless said:

To be clear, when I say the political fallout may be catastrophic I'm not worried about some political party or other winning some election. I'm worried about the failure of institutions.

I fully understand... I was referring to your claim as something to worry about

Just now, Kaptajnen said:

I fully understand... I was referring to your claim as something to worry about

Now I'm confused again. Not an unusual state.

Are you worried that I ~see~ this as potentially a threat to western small "d" democratic institutions (ie. you think there's danger in my attitude), or are you also worried that it ~is~ potentially that kind of a threat (ie. you're worried about those things, too) or am I completely missing the point?

2 minutes ago, weightless said:

Now I'm confused again. Not an unusual state.

Are you worried that I ~see~ this as potentially a threat to western small "d" democratic institutions (ie. you think there's danger in my attitude), or are you also worried that it ~is~ potentially that kind of a threat (ie. you're worried about those things, too) or am I completely missing the point?

You're missing my point at least.. but that could just as well be on me...

I was using your claim as something "BB" should worry about...

But his selfish "that bug won't bite me" attitude, probably prevents him from comprehending the possible ramifications this virus outbreak might have.. 

With the escalation we've seen here locally, I'm genuinely worried as to why other neighbouring countries has not reported higher numbers. 

I fear that there's a lot of hidden figures.. that the number of infected greatly superceeds the number of diagnosed. Whilst this surely will bring the death rate down, it will increase the number of deaths.

3 minutes ago, Kaptajnen said:

You're missing my point at least.. but that could just as well be on me...

Usually it's me. Thanks for the clarification. I think I follow you now -- also I share your concerns.

On 3/10/2020 at 2:24 PM, The Q said:

Never saw it in the UK, till Henry Copper advertised it from 1972 onwards..

Brylcreem is somewhat older invented 1928...

and old Spice 1934..

Yup, you’re old........no offence intended. 

1 hour ago, BravoBravo said:

You should be. The issue is not the odds of you dying if you get it, though that's definitely a concern for older folks and/or those with other health issues. The big issue is the capacity of the healthcare system. 

The US has about 925,000 hospital beds. About 14% of COVID-19 cases require hospitalization and about 5% require ICU care. To be optimistic, let's say we only need to hospitalize the most critical 5%. That means that we'll use up every single hospital bed once roughly 18,000,000 people are infected at the same time. Of course, that assumes all those beds are sitting there empty and waiting. 

In fact, the vast majority of those beds are already in use. A rough estimate is that only about 100,000 beds are actually available at any given time, meaning that a couple million COVID-19 infections are enough to bring the system to its knees. Any more than that and you'll see the fatality rate rise sharply because critical cases are going untreated.

The US has a population of 330,000,000 so that 2,000,000 infections represents only about a 0.6%. infection rate. Social distancing, hand washing, sterilizing touched surfaces daily, and other steps won't necessarily keep you from getting the virus but they will slow its spread and greatly reduce the odds of overwhelming the healthcare system. 

• Like 2

On 3/10/2020 at 8:51 PM, shaggy said:

The UK following on rapidly as well. 

Holy Christ! The orange one is just TERRIBLE at reading off a teleprompter, hang on for the ripple effect everyone!

I am in the greater risk demographic turning 72 next month, Kaputin is totaling off the rails and not comprehending the simple language in my post #756

I am taking simple common sense precautions armed with unemotional awareness ,selfish ?...odd choice of words perhaps related to your poor reading  comprehension   

1 hour ago, Kaptajnen said:

I fear that there's a lot of hidden figures.. that the number of infected greatly superceeds the number of diagnosed. Whilst this surely will bring the death rate down, it will increase the number of deaths.

Afraid so. Italy’s 12,000 cases were detected by doing 72,000 tests

NBA suspends season

NYC St. Patrick';s Day Parade cancelled for 1st time in 258 years

Tom Hanks tests positive

1 minute ago, dacapo said:

Tom Hanks tests positive

and he is type 2 diabetic.. not a good combo, but he will get the best HC AUS has to offer 

12 hours ago, More Cowbell2 said:

John Travolta thought to have contracted COVID19.

Doctors confirmed this was only a slight case of saturday night fever.

Spokesman for Travolta says he feels fine and is staying alive.:ph34r:

Did he have chills that were multiplying? 

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Zonker said:

And Trump bans travel from Europe...wow

boy he calm the masses, dow futures down 1000

15 minutes ago, Zonker said:

And Trump bans travel from Europe...wow

Norway too? 

How does the shutdown in Italy even work. More like a long federal holiday I think. Not going to hold for more than a few days. Sounds much like the goofy polidies enacter here in the Philippines by politicians that have never planned or really thought deeply about anything...ever.

So Italy says everything but supermarkets and pharmacies are shut. But farmers will obviously need to work, and truck drivers, and the truck fuel stations, drivers, clerks and depots. At the oil ports and customs. Food packaging, processing, ordering, shipping, payments. Security for all those places. The banks of course. And the public utilities. But that is all. Oh wait, what if a truck or tractor needs repair. And the internet needs to stay up, well gotta have police, fire and health workers. Streets, highways and rail lines need maintenance, staffing and payrolls. That's what the people in those office buildings do. So the buildings will need maintenance, security, and the toilets cleaned. Some of those people need urgent psychiatric, dental or other care.

Etc. etc. etc. How can that possibly work?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dacapo said:

NYC St. Patrick';s Day Parade cancelled for 1st time in 258 years

The micks can get drunk at home.  Like they do every other day. 

I found this clip very interesting , and if trump came across like Bill does , it would help us get thru , this situtation, As a major  he has a better idea of what's happening then our POTUS does, Where you lke these guys or not they have a very good message for the people of this country and the world.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Anomaly2 said:

Perhaps this is old news to some of you-- from an Italian doctor at ground zero in Italy (translated into English by another Italian doctor). Food for thought for the "what me worry?" and "its no worse than the flu" crowd:

https://twitter.com/silviast9/status/1236933818654896129

Oddly, the Times and the WAPO both cited it (or the newspaper transcription of it) in passing but didn't give it significant play that I saw. Maybe concerns about provenance? I dunno. I'm just a pawn in the game of life. But here's a taste:

image.thumb.png.46cb68c48d5bd2d9bbe6aaf655f4ff77.png