Sign in to follow this  
Lark

Screw the professor, I want this guy on my island (and Mary Ann)

Recommended Posts

Who do you want on your island?

If you thought The Woodright’s Shop  was old school, this guy will amaze.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He's certainly mastered gravity within the first 5 minutes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Seems like he could have hardened the chisel tip?   Keeps attaching the wrong video.   Finally!

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I guess everybody needs a hobby.

Am I the only one that appreciates the irony of a guy that has a channel called Primitive Skills, documents his primitive life on YouTube and has a presence on most of the major internet social media sites?  And he really needs to sharpen his ax!

 

 

 

 

 

I bet he wears a suit to his regular job. :lol:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You would think he would have fashioned some kind of footwear, rather than allow all those nasty insects to bite, and make him bleed???

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, billy backstay said:

You would think he would have fashioned some kind of footwear, rather than allow all those nasty insects to bite, and make him bleed???

There are so many other contrived things in that video, the lack of shoes is a minor distraction.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ed Lada said:

There are so many other contrived things in that video, the lack of shoes is a minor distraction.

Really?  What is contrived in the video?  A lot of it made at least superficial sense.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Amazing adaptability to me.   @Ed Lada may remember hand forging tools in his youth living with the indigenous people of the Pennsylvania colony:ph34r:  but the mud furnaces with pump or rotary bellows blew my mind,    Sand or clay casting was kind of cool to watch, we barely touched on it in shop class.    I spent a couple hours watching those videos last night,   The first one posted was (to me) the least interesting, the link kept screwing with me.    

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

i want Mikey, Ed, & Sloop JonB on the island as they know everything...

Wise choices.

 

 

 

 

Except Mikey.  I fear he would have an unfortunate 'accident' at some point.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

i want Mikey, Ed, & Sloop JonB on the island as they know everything...

"Know everything" and "Can build anything" are not *necessarily* overlapping criteria...

FKT

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Fah Kiew Tu said:

"Know everything" and "Can build anything" are not *necessarily* overlapping criteria...

FKT

For sure. 

I'm pretty good at building a lot of things.  But alas, everything is not in my repertoire.  

Sadly that's why we'd need Mike on the island.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Grrr... said:

Really?  What is contrived in the video?  A lot of it made at least superficial sense.

Many different camera angles, good filming and editing, is he doing all of that or does he have a film crew?  Noises of civilization in the background.  He's awfully pale and flabby for a man that allegedly spends a lot of time outdoors in the tropical sun, laboring to make primitive things.  The fact that he has reasonably sharp stone hand tools and an ax with virtually no cutting edge.  That the built a complicated ladder to reach his sleeping platform, when he could have made it 12' lower and just pushed himself on to it with little effort.  His water collection device is far to complicated and the leaves will soon dry out and become useless, or if it rains frequently they will be  prime place for bacteria, mold and other contaminants to collect on.  That he could easily make some kind of foot covers to prevent abrasions and keep the leeches off.  That he took a lot of time and effort to make a very uncomfortable wooden pillow when a bunch of leaves would be much more comfortable and easily replaceable.

I get the point that he is demonstrating how to do these things but it reeks of phoniness and given the amount of views he gets and the amount of subscribers he has, and his social media presence he has found a fun way to support himself, and get attention more than anything else.  If it weren't for YouTube, I doubt he would be doing it.

What's the point?  If these are instructional videos, primitive people don't have access to YouTube.  To anyone else, are they going to give up civilization and live a primitive life?  The only thing left is the videos are for entertainment, nothing more.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Ed Lada said:

Wise choices.

 

 

 

 

Except Mikey.  I fear he would have an unfortunate 'accident' at some point.

Unless he has the conch.  With that, he could rule the island...  :ph34r:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One shell to rule them all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Ed Lada said:

Many different camera angles, good filming and editing, is he doing all of that or does he have a film crew?  Noises of civilization in the background.  He's awfully pale and flabby for a man that allegedly spends a lot of time outdoors in the tropical sun, laboring to make primitive things.  The fact that he has reasonably sharp stone hand tools and an ax with virtually no cutting edge.  That the built a complicated ladder to reach his sleeping platform, when he could have made it 12' lower and just pushed himself on to it with little effort.  His water collection device is far to complicated and the leaves will soon dry out and become useless, or if it rains frequently they will be  prime place for bacteria, mold and other contaminants to collect on.  That he could easily make some kind of foot covers to prevent abrasions and keep the leeches off.  That he took a lot of time and effort to make a very uncomfortable wooden pillow when a bunch of leaves would be much more comfortable and easily replaceable.

I get the point that he is demonstrating how to do these things but it reeks of phoniness and given the amount of views he gets and the amount of subscribers he has, and his social media presence he has found a fun way to support himself, and get attention more than anything else.  If it weren't for YouTube, I doubt he would be doing it.

What's the point?  If these are instructional videos, primitive people don't have access to YouTube.  To anyone else, are they going to give up civilization and live a primitive life?  The only thing left is the videos are for entertainment, nothing more.

To each their own.    The dialogue is good at least.    I also watched a British investigational archeology series make a French castle.    Yet I have no interest in building an obsolete fortification so I can enforce discipline on the peasant class.    

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Lark said:

To each their own.    The dialogue is good at least.    I also watched a British investigational archeology series make a French castle.    Yet I have no interest in building an obsolete fortification so I can enforce discipline on the peasant class.    

In all fairness, there are much better ways of enforcing discipline nowadays. 

And some times both parties enjoy it!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

RE: the "wooden pillow".

They are very traditional in many Asian cultures.

 Japanese "pillows" look like miniature saw horses to me.

image.png.06c9f0910a771829633c060473ddc53d.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Mrleft8 said:

RE: the "wooden pillow".

They are very traditional in many Asian cultures.

 Japanese "pillows" look like miniature saw horses cheewawas to me.

image.png.06c9f0910a771829633c060473ddc53d.png

fixte                                  :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Fah Kiew Tu said:

"Know everything" and "Can build anything" are not *necessarily* overlapping criteria...

FKT

yes but think of the arguments that keep you entertained while you get shit done..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wooda made adobe blocks and built someplace where Falling Rocks were not as likely

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

yes but think of the arguments that keep you entertained while you don't get shit done..

I'm more on the lines of someone Bill Tilman used to quote:

"What I want from you Mr Mate is silence, and not too much of that either"

FTFY

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this