Sign in to follow this  
b393capt

Bluetooth LE - How can it benefit our boating experience?

When Bluetooth LE protocol becomes prevalent, multiple wireless speakers and earpieces will be able to receive music simultaneously, instead of the 1-1 peering that is currently part of the Bluetooth protocol that follows a device pairing. Currently when you have two wireless speakers providing stereo over bluetooth, there is a 1-1 peering between the source and the first speaker, then the first speaker turns around and broadcasts to the second speaker.  With Bluetooth LE, one source can broadcast (no peering) and all speakers and earbuds can listen in.

The makers of the protocol envision you being in an airport, looking at CNN on TV, having that TV send out audio in dozens or hundreds of languages, and you choosing which language you are listening too in your earbuds. ( The TV then is silent with no speakers at all. ??)

How could this best be used on a boat?

I see this being similar to the NMEA0183 but wireless where there is one talker and multiple listeners. That being said I don't know how well it work with say 5 basic sensors (speedo, depth, wind speed and angle, compass and gps)  and 5 displays which would result in everything communicating with everything which sounds good on theory however that would be 100 lines of communication between all the devices and as a result not sure of how well it would be implemented/executed however it's an interesting idea. 

I'm not sure bluetooth LE is the right answer, but to me the ultimate wireless "trick" would be a universal standard for "pinging" the starting line ends. Instead of every boat sailing up to the ends of the line to press the button on their device, a broadcast from that object to the devices on the boats would be ideal. 

36 minutes ago, ScowLover said:

I'm not sure bluetooth LE is the right answer, but to me the ultimate wireless "trick" would be a universal standard for "pinging" the starting line ends. Instead of every boat sailing up to the ends of the line to press the button on their device, a broadcast from that object to the devices on the boats would be ideal. 

That's a great idea. 

AIS & AIS virtual aids to navigation (AtoNs) would actually be ideal, as it is entirely compatible with most chartplotters without any software changes.
https://www.panbo.com/ais-atons-real-virtual-synthetic/

A Bluetooth LE or clever smartphone application could do the same, but you would have to copy the entry into the chartplotter.

Longer battery life. Better range. Headsets for coaching out on the water (ie: bbtalking, sena).

Personally, I'm hoping waterproof "walkie talkie" headsets get more popular and get enough production volume to come down in price.

Zero interest at NMEA in terms of standardizing for BLE

Huh? BLE is a transport, not an encapsulation or data interchange format. Whether we like it or not, if you want to shove the data received over a wireless connection into some other equipment, it's going to have to be in some defined format - either one of your own definition or one of the existing choices.

I will restart this thread as Bluetooth LE "Audio", that was the intention.

On 1/22/2020 at 9:53 AM, b393capt said:

When Bluetooth LE protocol becomes prevalent, multiple wireless speakers and earpieces will be able to receive music simultaneously, instead of the 1-1 peering that is currently part of the Bluetooth protocol that follows a device pairing. Currently when you have two wireless speakers providing stereo over bluetooth, there is a 1-1 peering between the source and the first speaker, then the first speaker turns around and broadcasts to the second speaker.  With Bluetooth LE, one source can broadcast (no peering) and all speakers and earbuds can listen in.

The makers of the protocol envision you being in an airport, looking at CNN on TV, having that TV send out audio in dozens or hundreds of languages, and you choosing which language you are listening too in your earbuds. ( The TV then is silent with no speakers at all. ??)

How could this best be used on a boat?

well, the skipper can have a headset and foredeck can have earbuds embedded into their skulls so that they will actually listen to what is being requested instead of freelancing..

10 hours ago, Moonduster said:

Zero interest at NMEA in terms of standardizing for BLE

Huh? BLE is a transport, not an encapsulation or data interchange format. Whether we like it or not, if you want to shove the data received over a wireless connection into some other equipment, it's going to have to be in some defined format - either one of your own definition or one of the existing choices.

There's more to BLE that just the transport. GAP and GATT for instance. Would be good to have a common set of profile/service/characteristics to address interoperability.