Sign in to follow this  
Fakenews

Will the Coronavirus bring down Trump?

Things are escalating in China and the WHO will probably declare a health emergency tomorrow.  A pandemic in our streets would certainly not help his re-election chances.  On the plus side maybe the Chinese have genetically engineered this  this to only take out Trump and the entire GOP.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/china-quarantines-wuhan-amid-coronavirus-outbreak/ar-BBZeaAl

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fakenews said:

Things are escalating in China and the WHO will probably declare a health emergency tomorrow.  A pandemic in our streets would certainly not help his re-election chances.  On the plus side maybe the Chinese have genetically engineered this  this to only take out Trump and the entire GOP.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/china-quarantines-wuhan-amid-coronavirus-outbreak/ar-BBZeaAl

I think @Sol Rosenberg needs to re-implement his ebola awareness & prevention campaign here for PA.  It was 100% effective last time, so should work with this bug too.  ;)

6 minutes ago, Pun Slinger said:

Dems will soot themselves in the foot again when they try to block travel restrictions from China. 

I think I just soot myself. What?

And somehow Dems are going to try to "block" China's travel restrictions? Why would anyone in the US want to "Block" Chinese travel restrictions? You make no sense.

This ESL thing has you in it's grip. Fucking Trump-licker. Go back to Serbia.

12 minutes ago, Pun Slinger said:

Dems will soot themselves in the foot again when they try to block travel restrictions from China. 

Damn.  They are gonna have soot on their feet??

73E8E81D-0940-468B-BE8C-EF3BD4C7A1B4.jpeg

4 hours ago, Gouvernail said:

And egg on their faces.

7 hours ago, Shootist Jeff said:

I think @Sol Rosenberg needs to re-implement his ebola awareness & prevention campaign here for PA.  It was 100% effective last time, so should work with this bug too.  ;)

Fear campaigns are only used when democRATS are in power because they hate us and can’t keep us safe. Please make a note of it. 

If need be we can get the old Ebola Protection thread up and running again. It’s still the greatest public service thread of all time. 

Crisis usually helps the incumbent look presidential and, in this case, validates xenophobes and 'build the wall". 

I don't think this will hurt Trump at all.  In fact, it's right into his sweet spot.  It'll only hurt him if he downplays the response which, given the impeachment , seems unlikely. 

On 1/22/2020 at 10:27 PM, Fakenews said:

Time for Trump to head over to China and save their country.  He's the perfect savior.  Smart, knowledgeable and has a really good brain.  He can figure this out better than anyone.   We Americans care about our Chinese compatriots so we will agree to loan you Trump until the plague ends.  Keep him for as long as you need.

• Like 1

On 1/23/2020 at 3:35 AM, Ed Lada said:

And egg on their faces.

Would that be Egg Foo Yung?

On 1/23/2020 at 4:23 AM, cmilliken said:

Crisis usually helps the incumbent look presidential and, in this case, validates xenophobes and 'build the wall". 

I don't think this will hurt Trump at all.  In fact, it's right into his sweet spot.  It'll only hurt him if he downplays the response which, given the impeachment , seems unlikely. 

You might want to reconsider.

“Nobody’s come to manage this.”

This video allegedly shows dead bodies lying in hospital aisles in Wuhan Red Cross Hospital, the city where the #coronavirus originated.

The virus has killed 26 people and infected at least 830 https://aje.io/vv953 

On 1/23/2020 at 12:01 AM, Raz'r said:

I think I just soot myself. What?

And somehow Dems are going to try to "block" China's travel restrictions? Why would anyone in the US want to "Block" Chinese travel restrictions? You make no sense.

This ESL thing has you in it's grip. Fucking Trump-licker. Go back to Serbia.

Let's  pitch in and get  fuckstick a plane ticket to China   

53 minutes ago, Sol Rosenberg said:

EE41FA0D-3C55-4C1F-93EF-53A15FA41517.jpeg

Sol, sorry bro but I'm stealing that ;-)

3 minutes ago, dacapo said:

Let's  pitch in and get  fuckstick a plane ticket to China   

I would rather it be a slow boat.

On 1/22/2020 at 8:53 PM, Pun Slinger said:

164773214.jpg

On 1/22/2020 at 9:06 PM, Gouvernail said:

Like shooting ducks in a barrel. 

19 minutes ago, badlatitude said:

You might want to reconsider.

“Nobody’s come to manage this.”

This video allegedly shows dead bodies lying in hospital aisles in Wuhan Red Cross Hospital, the city where the #coronavirus originated.

The virus has killed 26 people and infected at least 830 https://aje.io/vv953 

That's Horrible for the Chinese people. Hope they get it under control soon. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Movable Ballast said:

Absolutely agreed.  I hope they're able to contain the worse of the impact.

But to Bad Lat, I don't see how this 'brings down Trump'.  This may bring down Xe.  But it still seems to me to validate Trump's xenophobia, China bashing, and anti-immigrant rhetoric.

14 minutes ago, cmilliken said:

But to Bad Lat, I don't see how this 'brings down Trump'.  This may bring down Xe.  But it still seems to me to validate Trump's xenophobia, China bashing, and anti-immigrant rhetoric.

It very well may not bring down Trump, but all bets are off if it spreads here. It may give people the material to bash Trump's cuts to Medicare, his inability to show any health care plan for the future, and, most of all, his failure to contain a problem as potentially significant as this one could deliver.

6 minutes ago, badlatitude said:

It very well may not bring down Trump, but all bets are off if it spreads here. It may give people the material to bash Trump's cuts to Medicare, his inability to show any health care plan for the future, and, most of all, his failure to contain a problem as potentially significant as this one could deliver.

Even for you, that's a stretch to equate a disease from another part of the planet with our healthcare system. Maybe you can get there but most would not even put the two in the same zip code... 

1 minute ago, Movable Ballast said:

Even for you, that's a stretch to equate a disease from another part of the planet with our healthcare system. Maybe you can get there but most would not even put the two in the same zip code... 

I'm not trying to equate our system to any other. What I am saying is that our health care system could be at risk, and any failure on a grand scale will always look for the most logical fall guy. In this case, it would be the person who has done very little for health care.

8 minutes ago, badlatitude said:

I'm not trying to equate our system to any other. What I am saying is that our health care system could be at risk, and any failure on a grand scale will always look for the most logical fall guy. In this case, it would be the person who has done very little for health care.

I for one and I would assume you as well, hope we never find out... 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Movable Ballast said:

What a nightmare.  I cannot imagine working in the field of infectious disease.  This is the stuff that keeps those people up at night. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Movable Ballast said:

I for one and I would assume you as well, hope we never find out... 

I could not agree more.

Meh.

After SARS, West Nile Virus, Swine Flu, Ebola, H1N1, Mad Cow and Avian Flu, I'm a little jaded about "pandemics". 

4 minutes ago, Nice! said:

Meh.

After SARS, West Nile Virus, Swine Flu, Ebola, H1N1, Mad Cow and Avian Flu, I'm a little jaded about "pandemics". 

Meh,

All those diseases you just rattled off killed more people than war. 

3 minutes ago, Movable Ballast said:

Meh,

All those diseases you just rattled off killed more people than war. 

Let's take a look. These figures are worldwide:

• 795 deaths from SARS
  • 2000 deaths from West Nile
  • 12,649 deaths from Swine Flu
  • 11,300 deaths from Ebola
  • 150 deaths from Mad Cow
  • 455 deaths from Avian Flu (2003-2020)

Just for comparison:

• 32,999 motor vehicle deaths in USA in 2016 alone
  • 39,773 gun deaths in the USA in 2017 alone

I'm not gonna get into war deaths.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Nice! said:

Let's take a look. These figures are worldwide:

• 795 deaths from SARS
  • 2000 deaths from West Nile
  • 12,649 deaths from Swine Flu
  • 11,300 deaths from Ebola
  • 150 deaths from Mad Cow
  • 455 deaths from Avian Flu (2003-2020)

Just for comparison:

• 32,999 motor vehicle deaths in USA in 2016 alone
  • 39,773 gun deaths in the USA in 2017 alone

I'm not gonna get into war deaths.

Nice stats dude. 

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2013/11/26/247379604/2009-flu-pandemic-was-10-times-more-deadly-than-previously-thought

https://virus.stanford.edu/uda/

But hey it's just a little virus... And yes more than war... 

1 minute ago, Movable Ballast said:

How far back you talking about ?  

In WW I and WW II combined, about 100,000,000 people were killed.  That's just 2 wars.  The numbers aren't exact because you know, war.  But I imagine it's pretty close.  I could dig around and come up with a few million more I'm sure if we just look back 150 years from today.   But hey, it's just a couple of wars.  

Now if we look at the number of people on earth during those times, in 1914 about 1,5 billion.  In 1950, 2.5 billion.  Today about 7.8 billion.  So between 1914 and 1945 a loss of 100 million people was pretty significant.

The deadliest pandemic in modern history was the 1918-1920 flu pandemic which killed between 20-50 million people.  If we go back to 1860, we can add 43 million more lives lost to pandemics.  Add in 40 million from 1918 and we get 83 million.  WW I and WW II 100 million.  Hmmm.

18 minutes ago, Ed Lada said:

In WW I and WW II combined, about 100,000,000 people were killed.  That's just 2 wars.  The numbers aren't exact because you know, war.  But I imagine it's pretty close.  I could dig around and come up with a few million more I'm sure if we just look back 150 years from today.   But hey, it's just a couple of wars.  

Now if we look at the number of people on earth during those times, in 1914 about 1,5 billion.  In 1950, 2.5 billion.  Today about 7.8 billion.  So between 1914 and 1945 a loss of 100 million people was pretty significant.

The deadliest pandemic in modern history was the 1918-1920 flu pandemic which killed between 20-50 million people.  If we go back to 1860, we can add 43 million more lives lost to pandemics.  Add in 40 million from 1918 and we get 83 million.  WW I and WW II 100 million.  Hmmm.

Well, every person who is alive is going to die. There is always something that causes it. War is a biggie, no doubt, but if you add up the top dozen or so diseases (cancer? cardiac ischemia?) then you got the killers of a big percent of mankind. War can't compete. War plus shitty driving still can't compete. War plus shitty driving plus shootings.... well, if in 'war' you include all the people who died of dysentery instead of putting them under 'disease' then.....

Something has to keep the population down

- DSK

14 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

Well, every person who is alive is going to die. There is always something that causes it. War is a biggie, no doubt, but if you add up the top dozen or so diseases (cancer? cardiac ischemia?) then you got the killers of a big percent of mankind. War can't compete. War plus shitty driving still can't compete. War plus shitty driving plus shootings.... well, if in 'war' you include all the people who died of dysentery instead of putting them under 'disease' then.....

Something has to keep the population down

- DSK

Obviously disease kills more people than anything.  The subject was pandemics.  I was supporting that war has in recent years killed more people than pandemics.  Which I believe is at the heart of the view that the newest Coronavirus is a huge threat to the world.  This isn't a normal disease.  If it does spread widely it could be another pandemic.  Not that I wish it but it will have to kill an awful lot of people to kill as great a percentage of the world's population at the time of the 2 world wars.

No doubt viruses are dangerous.  But I think the point is we need to relax, let the experts do their job, and see where it goes.  Needlessly hyperventilating, waving their arms and flat out panicking isn't going to do anything.  In my opinion, that is the same kind of ignorance that led to the election of Trump.  

We'll see where this one goes, other than common sense measures, there isn't much most people can do about the virus.

As far as keeping the population down, nothing is working well yet.  When I was in elementary school, the population of the world was around 3 billion.  It is now almost 8 billion.  But finally population growth has slowed slightly.  We'll see what the future brings.

6 minutes ago, Ed Lada said:

Obviously disease kills more people than anything.  The subject was pandemics.  I was supporting that war has in recent years killed more people than pandemics. 

Malaria is considered a pandemic and kills a fuck ton more people than war, all by itself.  Around a half a million people each year, and a few thousand every day. It's why the most dangerous animal to humans on the entire planet weighs about 5 mg. 

1 hour ago, Ed Lada said:

It doesn't really matter, I was just wishing the people of China well and a speedy recovery. 

You're on a hair trigger today huh... 

4 hours ago, cmilliken said:
4 hours ago, Movable Ballast said:

I heard last night that they're trying to quarantine 25 million people.

Not sure how possible that will turn out to be.

1 minute ago, Plenipotentiary Tom said:

Difficult for sure, the maps show it primarily in central China. I hope they have the medical care to not have this become a tragedy 

4 hours ago, Movable Ballast said:

All it takes is one person on an airplane.

It's a small world after all.

8 minutes ago, Movable Ballast said:

Difficult for sure, the maps show it primarily in central China. I hope they have the medical care to not have this become a tragedy 

Hope?

You really are devolving.

This is not a hope and pray situation. This is a we(The world) needs to stand up and do something situation.

Sol's not from Gainesville.

4 minutes ago, Shootist Jeff said:

And I'm sure that just makes you all tingly and warm at the prospect.

When did you become stupid? Did you study for this, or were you born with this gift?

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Shootist Jeff said:

He's also not the lizard to which I refer.  RIF.

My apologies.

people sometimes talk about a great disease of some sort reducing world population and possibly saving the ecosystem from destruction. 

here is a thought about why it is not ever likely to happen. 

If as many Chinese people die from this virus as the entire population of the USA, Canada, and Mexico.., There will still be almost a billion people crowding their country. 

1 hour ago, Shootist Jeff said:

Are you implying that the US president should be managing a crisis in China?  

Our U.S. president can't manage his makeup, what makes you think he can even identify China on a map?

And I'm sure that just makes you all tingly and warm at the prospect.

You would be wrong as usual.

4 hours ago, MR.CLEAN said:

Malaria is considered a pandemic and kills a fuck ton more people than war, all by itself.  Around a half a million people each year, and a few thousand every day. It's why the most dangerous animal to humans on the entire planet weighs about 5 mg. 

Endemic in some areas but not pandemic I would think,   

3 hours ago, Plenipotentiary Tom said:

Exactly,   They need gas and food or things will get ugly.   That’s a lot of trucks or trains moving through.   Plus medicine, caregivers and the people’s army to enforce it.   Then there is the lost production of 25 million people not shipping pre broken junk to the world.   I really want to see the logistics behind this, there will be a lot for the WHO, OIE  and CDC to study.   

25,000,000 is only one is 600 Chinese. 
00.16% of the population. 

Certainkybtge city provides Something to  the rest of the country, but cutting it off altogether really won’t  make a huge difference to the rest of China. 

I will be the first to suggest that the world would be a better place if shitstain was the third in the US to contract this malady. Hopefully he gives it to Mitch during his daily rectum licking.

Point gov,    Some numbers are hard to wrap the mind around.   Walmart and Amazon won’t run out of faulty phone chargers and counterfeit go pros.   The difficulty of a quarantine still stands, even for a top down country with the resources of China.   I attended a two day meeting discussing quarantine in rural America, part of the bioterrorism planning after 911.   As the circle grew the number of intersections quickly exceeded the number of sheriffs and state troopers.   They didn’t even get into duration and controlling supply movement.  The discussion assumed annoyed farmers and commuters trying to evade rules, not panicky people cutting across fields on horseback.   The quarantines off terrified people during the Black Death were truly barbaric at times.   

Ain't no stoopid Chink virus gonna bring down Donald Trump.

Just being himself is what's going to bring down Trump. 

11 hours ago, Shootist Jeff said:

Are you implying that the US president should be managing a crisis in China?  

The current US President cannot manage a crisis on a dinner plate, why give him the chance to fuck up anything bigger.

- DSK

Go to 1:35 on the video for Maher's comments on the virus

1 minute ago, Shootist Jeff said:

And yet another who can read for shit.  

Maybe it's your for-shit writing

- DSK

7 minutes ago, Shootist Jeff said:

No, I'm pretty sure that was crystal clear except to those afflicted with chronic TDS.  But here, let me restate it for you again:

Is it the job or responsibility of a US president to manage a health crisis in another country, especially a neer-peer like china?

Neer-peer? Would you like to buy a different vowel?

No, I'm pretty sure that was crystal clear except to those afflicted with chronic TDS.  But here, let me restate it for you again:

Is it the job or responsibility of a US president to manage a health crisis in another country, especially a near-peer like china?

And I'll continue to maintain, with crystal clarity for the non-TDS sufferers, that it doesn't matter because the current President can't manage to dress himself properly.

I'm not sure if you're meaning to imply that China is "nearly a peer" of the US but you might want to look at some recent economic and military news. They're a couple of steps ahead of the US now. Although dealing with plague is going to be a knock

- DSK

• Like 1

There are no antivaxxers in a pandemic.....

let’s see all the religious nuts, mommy groups, trumpsters, and hipsters refuse vaccines now!

It would be ironically amusing if Trump caught the Corona virus, not just because of the whole "crown/king" thing, but just because it would be.

• Like 1

If it develops, it gives Trump that state of emergency he so desperately wants. 

6 hours ago, Raz'r said:

If it develops, it gives Trump that state of emergency he so desperately wants. 

Another PANIC is a bit redundant.

We already have lots of them, the oldest one on that list has been ongoing since the 70's and many date to the 90's.

10 hours ago, Ishmael said:

Neer-peer? Would you like to buy a different vowel?

I'll take that discarded 'e'.  We need any vowel we can get.

11 minutes ago, Ed Lada said:

I'll take that discarded 'e'.  We need any vowel we can get.

But will Poles know what to do with it?

14 hours ago, Shootist Jeff said:

I didn't ask if trumples could manage it.  I asked if it is the POTUS's job (any POTUS) to manage a crisis response in another country like china?

RIF

What made you think that any American president would violate the sovereignty of another country, especially a nuclear one?

Comprehension is Fundamental

3 minutes ago, Shootist Jeff said:

You tap dancing cunt!  You just cannot answer a straightforward question with a simple yes or no can you??  I’m not fucking talking about trump. 

is it or is it not the responsibility of ANY US president ever now or in the future to manage another nation’s crisis?  Especially if that nation has plenty of its own resources??  It’s not that fucking difficult!  

Not their responsibility TO THAT COUNTRY, no.

It is very much their responsibility to manage inputs/aspects to minimize harm, or potential harm, to the USA.

It is their sworn duty to manage the resources of the US gov't to minimize harm to the USA and it's citizens.

You like to simplify a bit too much. As I said in another thread, this isn't an old B&W cowboy movie.

- DSK

• Like 1

On 1/24/2020 at 6:17 PM, Clove Hitch said:

IMG-20200124-WA0033.jpg

WOW, Just WOW.....  :wacko:

8 minutes ago, shaggy said:
On 1/24/2020 at 8:17 PM, Clove Hitch said:

IMG-20200124-WA0033.jpg

WOW, Just WOW.....  

Apparently God is just enough like Trump that He (or She, whichever you like) encourages these people in their foolishness and self-destructiveness.

Coconut oil destroys viruses?

- DSK

On 1/24/2020 at 11:58 PM, Gouvernail said:

25,000,000 is only one is 600 Chinese. 
00.16% of the population. 

Certainkybtge city provides Something to  the rest of the country, but cutting it off altogether really won’t  make a huge difference to the rest of China. 

Per CNBC news.    Whether the morbidity and mortality are high enough to be statistically significant, the economic ripple affect is already nationwide.    This could be interesting, in a morbid sort of way.   

Overall travel on Saturday, the first day of the Lunar New Year, dropped 28.8% from a year ago, said Liu Xiaoming, vice minister of transport. Specifically, he noted declines of:

41.6% in civil air travel

41.5% in rail travel

25% for road transport.

On Sunday, China Railway Chengdu also announced it would halt several high-speed train routes — including some to Shanghai — for the next few days, into early February.

• Like 1

3rd case confirmed in USA. Right here in Orange County CA.  I’m just praying to God it doesn’t spread to any of our yacht clubs. 

• Like 1

Ma said that unlike Sars (severe acute respiratory syndrome) the new coronavirus was infectious during its incubation period.

From Ma Xiaowei the minister of their National Health Commission.   

10 minutes ago, Shootist Jeff said:

He’s as much your boy as he is mine. And it certainly stops w/ SS when it comes to protecting the US. Why would you think otherwise??

Because he needs to ask Putin what to do

- DSK

12 minutes ago, Shootist Jeff said:

So for the elk of all colors,  if trump restricts air travel from Jhyna, are you going to give him attaboys or howl with outrage?

I will always distrust and suspect bad motivations in ANYTHING he does until he is no longer POTUS. 
After that he won’t matter. 

Americans, stop panicking the herd........

Thank you.

Canada.

• Like 1

He’s as much your boy as he is mine. And it certainly stops w/ SS when it comes to protecting the US. Why would you think otherwise??

Wait. I was under the impression that your boy Shitstain was more my boy than your boy because Democrats like me could have put up literally anyone but a Yale Law grad, law partner, FLOTUS, Senator and Secretary of State who used email.

Literally anyone.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, shaggy said:

WOW, Just WOW.....  :wacko:

These anti-vaxxers are fucking nuts. 

Our POTUS only infects the USA with the very best diseases. 
This epidemic will be bigger and better than any other epidemic!

Gropenfuhrer  knows more about epidemics than anybody!!! 

30 minutes ago, Gouvernail said:

Our POTUS only infects the USA with the very best diseases. 
This epidemic will be bigger and better than any other epidemic!

Gropenfuhrer  knows more about epidemics than anybody!!! 

He knows more about epidemics because he is one

4 hours ago, Shootist Jeff said:

So for the elk of all colors,  if trump restricts air travel from Jhyna, are you going to give him attaboys or howl with outrage?

Restricting air travel is useless as there are already reported cases in the US.   What would be the point?

If the DOW Trumps attention, and you know it will, he will declare victory and accept Chinas surrender in the trade wars. 

The terms won’t matter. He just wants the headlines. #winning

37 minutes ago, Ed Lada said:

With the DOW at 28,000 I don't think it's time to jump out of the Trump Tower windows quite yet.

But if the trend persists...

Last week wasn’t particularly good.  My measly “portfolio” had a 3% loss last week.  Today is anything but encouraging.

6 minutes ago, jerseyguy said:

Last week wasn’t particularly good.  My measly “portfolio” had a 3% loss last week.  Today is anything but encouraging.

At a first quick glance, I thought I read 'measles' portfolio and my first thought was; Those damned antivaxers!  :lol:

10 minutes ago, Ed Lada said:
20 minutes ago, jerseyguy said:

At a first quick glance, I thought I read 'measles' portfolio and my first thought was; Those damned antivaxers!  :lol:

Hah!

I went short on anti-vaxxers last week, on paper I made a killing. Broker is not answering the phone this morning though, what's up with that?!?

- DSK