Grande Mastere Dreade

opinions on mainsail trim

not my sail, but would like to help a friend,   I know I'm asking for it..  but based on this single pic, what can be done to shape it better?   winds were 8-10..

49429964133_bc52be90bd_k.jpg

From the reef eyelets and a hit of a horizontal crease at the batten (no draft stripes!) the sail looks way deep. Worn out or more mast bend and luff tension.

Wrinkles from head to clew say the same thing.

Batten might be too tight. Or leech cord too tight.

Most likely a blown out sail. Can it ever be made flat? Always saggy in the middle?

i believe originally the sail was cut with more draft than a typical sail for this boat...  i know it's longer on the foot than it should be and he has the outhaul all the way out to keep from being overpowered..

5 minutes ago, El Boracho said:

From the reef eyelets and a hit of a horizontal crease at the batten (no draft stripes!) the sail looks way deep. Worn out or more mast bend and luff tension.

Wrinkles from head to clew say the same thing.

Batten might be too tight. Or leech cord too tight.

Most likely a blown out sail. Can it ever be made flat? Always saggy in the middle?

^^^ thisse, verrey littelle outhaulle adjustamente lefte. ^^^

35 minutes ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

not my sail, but would like to help a friend,   I know I'm asking for it..  but based on this single pic, what can be done to shape it better?   winds were 8-10..

Fractional or masthead rig?  Single spreader or multiple?  Swept or in-line spreaders?  Multi-part backstay?

Best pictures for trim are from straight below the boom from the middle of the sail aimed at the masthead.

But...assuming a fairly stiff, masthead keel stepped rig, I'd chock it t the partners with another couple of inches of pre-bend, and provide some work for a local loft, including bigger batten end patches and reduced luff curve.  Hard to shorten the E dimension without affecting the reef patch, but ask.

I'd also actually rig the cunningham.  

• Like 1

Definitely needs Cunningham, looks like you have next to zero to play with foot in terms of outhaul.

Without seeing the whole sail, and the rig even the type of boat this all sits on it’s hard to reach a definitive conclusion.

If it’s old and bagged out and you are looking to flatten the sail the simplest solution would be to take it to a sailmaker and get them to cut the luff off, cut some curve into the luff and reattach the luff slides and a new Cunningham and tack , this will also give you more outhaul adjustment.

If the sail is past its use by date you’ll have a hard time getting a sailmaker willing to make those alterations because the list of fixes becomes never ending and then you may as well fork out for a new sail.

1 hour ago, Left Shift said:
1 hour ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

Fractional or masthead rig?  Single spreader or multiple?  Swept or in-line spreaders?  Multi-part backstay?

Best pictures for trim are from straight below the boom from the middle of the sail aimed at the masthead.

But...assuming a fairly stiff, masthead keel stepped rig, I'd chock it t the partners with another couple of inches of pre-bend, and provide some work for a local loft, including bigger batten end patches and reduced luff curve.  Hard to shorten the E dimension without affecting the reef patch, but ask.

Not a good angle to judge sails shape.. Also, can't see any of the tell-tales.

To me it looks like it might be a blown-out sail that has had too much tension put on it to try and flatten it.

What happens if you ease the outhaul just a tiny bit; and ease the vang, open up the leech?

FB- Doug

fractional  single inline spreader cabin stepped mast

To me it looks like it might be a blown-out sail that has had too much tension put on it to try and flatten it.

What happens if you ease the outhaul just a tiny bit; and ease the vang, open up the leech?

yes probably trying to flatten to depower..

i was thinking the same thing, ease, ease,  travel down, and the cunningham...

6 minutes ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

No runners that I can see..???  Not much you can do to help the spar fit that main without some runners.  

6 minutes ago, Left Shift said:

............................ Not much you can do to help the spar fit that main............................

FIFY

I don't see a cunningham even rigged.  Putting some one will probably sort out the top half of the sail, but you will likely end up with a large "hinge" or crease from the clew to about 1/3 way up the luff.  I agree with the others, the sail is shit and needs to be replaced.  No magic will make it look perfect.

2 hours ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

yeah, we're not guys with deep pockets..

me neither. but there is a time when a sail just has to go, and this looks like one that does. shop around, you might be surprised. or horribly disappointed. welcome to life. ;)

donk.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

yes probably trying to flatten to depower..

i was thinking the same thing, ease, ease,  travel down, and the cunningham...

And go get some runners and bend the mast.  

• Downvote 1

59 minutes ago, Left Shift said:

No runners that I can see..???  Not much you can do to help the spar fit that main without some runners.  

I trust you mean checkstays.

Was the halyard fairly tight?

If so, your bolt rope has shrunken and is keeping the sail from hoisting fully.

If the bolt rope was only handstitched at the head, tack, reef points you can take out the handstitching and feed in a new luff rope, then rehandstitch it.

If the bolt rope was stitched to the tape the entire length it could be unstitched from the sail and then stitched back down with a better tension.

My guess is it has shrunken 6" or so

• Like 1

is the mast permanently pre-bent just above the gooseneck? when i place a straight-edge on the picture, it appears to have an inch or so of pre-bend.

9 minutes ago, radman said:

Was the halyard fairly tight?

If so, your bolt rope has shrunken and is keeping the sail from hoisting fully.

If the bolt rope was only handstitched at the head, tack, reef points you can take out the handstitching and feed in a new luff rope, then rehandstitch it.

If the bolt rope was stitched to the tape the entire length it could be unstitched from the sail and then stitched back down with a better tension.

My guess is it has shrunken 6" or so

I would also try that to the rope on the foot

Are the battens in taper end forward, 

Or more taper in them.

Rose colored glasses wouldn't hurt either.

1960's alberg designed 20ft day sailor... we don't have modern technology like that :rolleyes:

'70s 36 footer bendy mast inline spreaders here.  You better have your black bands in place or if you're a contender or you'll be protested.  I tire of competitors who are way beyond the foot and hoist (or nonexistent) black bands, who when confronted claim their main is so blown out they gotta stretch it to get some shape.  Nay, you're sailing an oversize main & should be DSQ every race.  Also 1 design raced my boat with a class legal main and noted competitors had so much roach they scraped the backstay during tacks, and my main cleared by a foot.  Cheaters.

Oversized sails are faster, and should be vigorously policed.

• Downvote 1

Trying to make a sail work that is too big for the boom will require surgery. Was there anything else useful in the skip?

• Like 1

I doubt this sail is at full hoist.

Judging by the boats in the background it looks super light air.  if that the case its just the weight of the boom fucking him up.

What most have said is spot on chock mast forward more prebend, Cunningham for Christ sake.  It also does look like you can get more out haul take off (what looks to be a block that is attached) run the outhaul line through the clew directly and tie off at the back of the boom.  Should get you a few more inches of adjustment.  Nothing will make this sail look good but it can look better.

1 hour ago, LB 15 said:

I trust you mean checkstays.

No.  Perhaps they are called that in off-the-beaten-path southern lands where they call things "braces" and other silly names they made up without outside help.  

In the populated northern world, running backstays go to the hounds - they control headstay tension and stay the mast to the back of the boat, and they are running because you let the leeward one run on each tack or jibe, hence "runners".  Checkstays go to the mast below the hounds and are connected to the running backstays and check the amount of lower mast bend.  

Simple application of the language, helps neophytes figure things out when they step up their game.  

I'm sure the French have other words.  They are probably better because, of course, they are French.  But they call jibs "focs" and spinnakers "spis", so I'm not sure. 

For practice name the bits and pieces.

th-1.jpeg.6ca85f0228eabf2d535c17934490f437.jpeg

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Left Shift said:

No.  Perhaps they are called that in off-the-beaten-path southern lands where they call things "braces" and other silly names they made up without outside help.  

In the populated northern world, running backstays go to the hounds - they control headstay tension and stay the mast to the back of the boat, and they are running because you let the leeward one run on each tack or jibe, hence "runners".  Checkstays go to the mast below the hounds and are connected to the running backstays and check the amount of lower mast bend.  

Simple application of the language, helps neophytes figure things out when they step up their game.  

I'm sure the French have other words.  They are probably better because, of course, they are French.  But they call jibs "focs" and spinnakers "spis", so I'm not sure. 

No, I meant checkstays cupcake. We were discussing mast bend to bring the rig to the luff round. Now tuck that little 'reaching strut' back in your shorts. 

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1

9 minutes ago, Somebody Else said:

lol.gif

lol.gif Yeah, this! All the '60s-era Albergs have 'em! lol.gif

About as likely as they had runners. I am just winding up left foot. He has just tripped over his dick beautifully so stop interrupting!

• Like 1

Everyone missed the easiest clue. Look at the old yellow color of that sail compared to the white sails on the competition in the background. Heh. That sail was dead 3 seasons ago.

10 minutes ago, El Boracho said:

Everyone missed the easiest clue. Look at the old yellow color of that sail compared to the white sails on the competition in the background. Heh. That sail was dead 3 seasons decades ago.

FIFY

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, LB 15 said:

About as likely as they had runners. I am just winding up left foot. He has just tripped over his dick beautifully so stop interrupting!

You are soooo easily pleased with yourself.  It's a sign of something, but I'm not sure what.  Although we seem to have president who displays the same trait.

Go rescue a koala or something useful.  

57 minutes ago, Left Shift said:

Missing the babystsy abd I dontblike thst checjdtsy.

7 minutes ago, Left Shift said:

You are soooo easily pleased with yourself.  

Indeed I am. In my last school report my Housemaster wrote ‘LB completes each task to his entire satisfaction.’ 

Fuck it is good to be back in the saddle...:)

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1

Take the bolt rope out of the boom and fly it loose footed.  Then just remove the bolt rope entirely off the foot.

• Like 4

Limited view but some things stand out even in little bit we can see! 

Full batten it! Too much roach on batten in view/ bottom batten is too short and maybe others..

something funny going on at tack, wrong cut back? Get sailmaker to look.

foot is too long for boom, it is maxing out! Easy fix may be to put some extender plates at gooseneck if possible rather than new boom or sail recut.

release the luff , looks like it has shrunk, unpick the hand stitching at tack and let it go up into sail.

and please get your sailmaker to put a small reinforcement on leech between the bottom of the reef and the top of the clew patch. That many layers of cloth going to one creating a hinge point is screaming “tear here”.

• Like 1

I've had my 1996 main worked on twice and it looks better than that...there is a shelf life on this stuff and it doesn't care about your budget.   

f6c.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, OCS said:

foot is too long for boom, it is maxing out! Easy fix may be to put some extender plates at gooseneck if possible rather than new boom or sail recut.

Fuck I love this place.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Editor said:

Buy a new one. from one our our advertisers

FIFY

1st the Maxell Tape on the shrouds, might give you a clue that this sail is not going anywhere for service. 

Ease the vang please. The boom is bent and causing the diagonal wrinkles in the sail. Also ....just drop the sail after the race and check the battens, slowly raise the main with no outhaul on for proper halyard tension, then rig a  makeshift cunningham. Boom end sheeting is always a tough call when it is lead aft of the boom, so vang appropriately. 

A nip and tuck would help out too ...I prescribe cleaning the bottom, sailing around for a few days then a pitcher of margaritas. 

5 hours ago, fastyacht said:

Im heading to store. Not sure if chocolate or popcorn. Maybe both.

1125866826_5638020511001_5638010515001-v

• Like 1

back off vang and cap tension lowers may need a slight ease mast is overbent down low for amount of luff curve in mainsail also check to see if mainsail bolt rope is sewn off at bottom of sail if so unpick it so the bolt rope can move up the sail cause they quite often shrink with age causing the puckering on the luff cheers

• Like 1

100% carbon on headboard.

Disregarding rig position/tune and backstay set up, I'd make this boat a fucking rocket ship and win every beer can race with a little sip of: (i) loose foot, (ii) float tack and lash forward, (iii) halyard up/cunno on, (iv) vang off, (v) sheet on, (vi) trav down. 

12 hours ago, Left Shift said:

From the top of the mast going downward we say respectively pataras, bastaque et basse-bastaque. I am not sure why these worlds would be better, nevertheless, I 'd like to mention that we have several words to say spinnaker. That's probably because we like to sail fast and never quite understood the fascination of the anglophone world for heavy boats that sail like submarines. We do say "le big boy" though.

• Like 2

Two good things already suggested and won't cost a thing;

Remove the foot from the boom track and install a luff cunningham.

8 minutes ago, Panoramix said:

We do say "le big boy" though.

I read one time that the French people hate the intrusion of English words to their beautiful language.  What's your opinion on that.

The way I look at it is we are just repaying you folks for all of the French words we use in the English language.  Menu, hotel, maître d', lingerie, avant-garde, cliché, déjà vu , faux pas and on and on...

3 minutes ago, Ed Lada said:

I read one time that the French people hate the intrusion of English words to their beautiful language.  What's your opinion on that.

The way I look at it is we are just repaying you folks for all of the French words we use in the English language.  Menu, hotel, maître d', lingerie, avant-garde, cliché, déjà vu , faux pas and on and on...

The word "Language" is also partly from French

The Word "Repay " is  from the French

The word "Intrusion" is from the French,

The word "Beauty"  hence Beautiful is part French

The word "Opinion" Is French.

Some of the words which arrived from France have original Latin origins.

Most of the rest is from the Germanic group of languages

Definitely needs a cunningham so we can see what else is wrong.

Based on the main on the boat I sail, it looks like mains with cunninghams are cut differently, so you'll never get a decent shape without it being used.

1 hour ago, Ed Lada said:

I'd say the French academy hates English words but actual French people keep using English words. Sometimes they even use the wrong one, just after moving back from the UK that was confusing me! I try not to use an English word if there is an appropriate one in French, but I am definitely not against English words. On the other hand, when I have to deal with a snob who uses English words everywhere for no reason, I sometimes have a bit of fun at his expenses. I just pick up one word he used inappropriately, use it in its actual original meaning and start introducing others with a bit of a Bristolian-ish accent to confuse him. Then when he eventually has to explain to me what he meant, I reply "Did you mean xxx?" With xxx the French word and he will go on "Yes but not exactly ...." . I know, I can be mean, I also hate snobbery with passion.

Go to Bacon sails. They have good used sails for just about every boat. That deep footed pig is shot out! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ed Lada said:

English is 49% Old French, 45% Anglo-Saxon and the balance everything else. Unless Medicine in which case it is 49$ latin....

26 minutes ago, fastyacht said:

English is 49% Old French, 45% Anglo-Saxon and the balance everything else. Unless Medicine in which case it is 49$ latin....

Not a bad price for Latin being that it's an antique and all!

• Like 1

That sail would look perfect...

...in the hands of the competition.

Sell the boat, WITH sails.

Or simply iron the sail. (You may need female assistance for this. Personally, I'm not properly trained up on ironing and wouldn't even attempt it.)

Maybe some helpful and rather inexpensive advise to get something out of this sail.

- take the clew off the boom - use a velcro to attach it with more slack. this will lengthen the leech and give the sail a healthier shape
- try and connect the foot with the outhaul so you can get the sail flatter without tightening the leech too much.
- install a cunningham and keep it on a bit - this will also help giving the main wrinkles going in the correct direction (slightly upwards from the mast)

All of this will not make this a race winner but it might help endure the painful looks you are getting from the pro-sailors.

9 hours ago, VWAP said:

FIFY

i didn't say that, but it's not a bad idea! i will say i wouldn't buy a doyle...

This sail is SHOT, but.....you might try a tapered batten if you can find one in a scrap pile It might slightly help the end of the batten pocket....or hurt. 

Or....petition your local PHRF board for a rating adjustment. :ph34r:

3 hours ago, Ed Lada said:

I thick 'officialley', yes, looke up "courriel".  Inofficialley, anny thinge gose.                                :)

2 minutes ago, Snaggletooth said:

I thick 'officialley', yes, looke up "courriel".  Inofficialley, anny thinge gose.                                :)

Apparently.  Such as 'le hamburger'.   I love a good good burger but that's just wrong on so many levels.  :lol:

is this sail still competitive?

women_model_blonde_women_outdoors_ass_ya

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1

15 hours ago, LB 15 said:

Fuck it is good to be back in the saddle...:)

910aqiaPHoL.jpg

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1

14 minutes ago, VWAP said:

Looks like good trim. But need to see what happens in a blow.

21 hours ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

i believe originally the sail was cut with more draft than a typical sail for this boat...  i know it's longer on the foot than it should be and he has the outhaul all the way out to keep from being overpowered..

Really hard to fix it if it never fit in the first place. Being the cheap fucker that I am, I would balance the price of a re-cut at the luff to pull some of the cloth out against buying a new or newer main. A new main for 20ft boat from an East Asian supplier would not be much more than a couple of nights on the piss with the added benefit of actually fitting the boat! 

1 hour ago, VWAP said:

that's a hella alot more than our bank accounts put together ...  i had a crew with an ass like hers, Christina, wish she would come back to the club, she liked short shorts/skirts.. Chrissy,  put the whisker pole up ....  uh no, better take it down...    2 mins later , no put it back up... etc...

personally, i think this is the best option,  who would give a fuck about racing..    his wife (redhead) would kill him..

c'mon guys focus..   

18 hours ago, axolotl said:

'70s 36 footer bendy mast inline spreaders here.  You better have your black bands in place or if you're a contender or you'll be protested.  I tire of competitors who are way beyond the foot and hoist (or nonexistent) black bands, who when confronted claim their main is so blown out they gotta stretch it to get some shape.  Nay, you're sailing an oversize main & should be DSQ every race.  Also 1 design raced my boat with a class legal main and noted competitors had so much roach they scraped the backstay during tacks, and my main cleared by a foot.  Cheaters.

Oversized sails are faster, and should be vigorously policed.

our fleet is "bring whatcha got"... we're happy if a boat owner comes out racing. . 3klbs full keel 20 footer,  a clean smooth bottom, better tacks , and good tactics  wins the races..  a bigger jib helps downwind, but then you have to run them between the sidestays and lose some pointing..   better cut sails will help, but you have to know how to trim them...  i'm sending the pic to my friend to send to the sail maker and ask WTF...

4 hours ago, The Q said:

The word "Language" is also partly from French

The Word "Repay " is  from the French

The word "Intrusion" is from the French,

The word "Beauty"  hence Beautiful is part French

The word "Opinion" Is French.

Some of the words which arrived from France have original Latin origins.

Most of the rest is from the Germanic group of languages

the word surrender is from the french...

5 minutes ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

the word surrender is from the french...

Nope but Entrepreneur is French.

18 hours ago, LB 15 said:

No, I meant checkstays cupcake. We were discussing mast bend to bring the rig to the luff round. Now tuck that little 'reaching strut' back in your shorts. 

You're a better sailor than to suggest that.  Or at least you play one on the internet. 

Check stays limit mast bend.  Exactly the wrong solution for an overly deep main.    Now if you want to suggest they add some running backstays to the hounds and use an adjustable topmast stay to induce lower mast bend, like all decent in-line fractional rigged boats have, you might have had some decent advice to offer the OP.   

But that would certainly be way, way overkill for an old Triton with a phone pole for a mast.  Cheaper and more suitable is going on eBay and seeing what's on offer in the way of white dacron triangles.  

And on a different subject:  Wow, a "reaching strut".  Where'd you dredge that one from?  It's the 21st century now, and we are fully in the era of asymmetrics.  So here's some gratuitous advice:  Try using "outrigger" to stay current when referring to male parts.   

And while we are on the subject of freshening up your language, the "cupcake" thing is getting pretty tired.  Try going floral.  Maybe "petunia" or "my little petal".  You should have used your time out to expand your snark game. 

• Like 1

To improve this boat's performance in regards to the main sail, proceed as follows:

1) uncleat main halyard

2) lower sail

3) keep lowering sail

4) furl

5) start motor

35 minutes ago, Left Shift said:

You're a better sailor than to suggest that.  Or at least you play one on the internet. 

Check stays limit mast bend.  Exactly the wrong solution for an overly deep main.    Now if you want to suggest they add some running backstays to the hounds and use an adjustable topmast stay to induce lower mast bend, like all decent in-line fractional rigged boats have, you might have had some decent advice to offer the OP.   

But that would certainly be way, way overkill for an old Triton with a phone pole for a mast.  Cheaper and more suitable is going on eBay and seeing what's on offer in the way of white dacron triangles.  

And on a different subject:  Wow, a "reaching strut".  Where'd you dredge that one from?  It's the 21st century now, and we are fully in the era of asymmetrics.  So here's some gratuitous advice:  Try using "outrigger" to stay current when referring to male parts.   

And while we are on the subject of freshening up your language, the "cupcake" thing is getting pretty tired.  Try going floral.  Maybe "petunia" or "my little petal".  You should have used your time out to expand your snark game. 

Mast abeam!

• Like 1

and while we are on the subject of freshening up your language, the "cupcake" thing is getting pretty tired.  Try going floral.  Maybe "petunia" or "my little petal".  You should have used your time out to expand your snark game. 

"mon petit chou"

6 hours ago, Panoramix said:

I'd say the French academy hates English words but actual French people keep using English words. Sometimes they even use the wrong one, just after moving back from the UK that was confusing me! I try not to use an English word if there is an appropriate one in French, but I am definitely not against English words. On the other hand, when I have to deal with a snob who uses English words everywhere for no reason, I sometimes have a bit of fun at his expenses. I just pick up one word he used inappropriately, use it in its actual original meaning and start introducing others with a bit of a Bristolian-ish accent to confuse him. Then when he eventually has to explain to me what he meant, I reply "Did you mean xxx?" With xxx the French word and he will go on "Yes but not exactly ...." . I know, I can be mean, I also hate snobbery with passion.

How do you French say ‘Waterloo’?

• Like 2

I call you petal all the time, princess. 

• Downvote 1

...... Fuck me....... they've outlawed a sense of humour in Seattle?

...... There's a shock......

(  oh.... and it's humour with a 'u' , m'kay? )

17 minutes ago, wal' said:

don't get them started on........... al you min ee um.... AKA as aluminium

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LB 15 said:

I call you petal all the time, princess. 

Thanks, sweetie!  

51 minutes ago, wal' said:

Thanks for humouring me.