When I Retire

Elan Sailboats

Contemplating buying an Elan built around 2005.  I have never sailed an Elan.  Can someone share some insights into the boats.  Are they built well?  Do they hold up?  Do they sail well?

• Like 1

Elan have a big range, sailing ability depends on which model. I have an Elan 384 Impression, (California) Build quality is above average, very comfortable, but even with a vertical battened main, it is not the best sailor. True, I have a fixed three bladed prop on the sail drive, but this boat is not quick. Wife loves it for all the cruising reasons. Ours is 2013 and in very good shape. As good as a Bene, perhaps not as good as a Jenneau.

Welcome Newbie! Great name you chose for yourself.

I have no experience with Elan, but have been intrigued by the boats.

Be prepared for a rude welcome from some here.  It is intended to be good-natured, but way over the top. A response is not required.

• Like 2

I raced on  38 about that time,  well built and comfortable and with any breeze could hold it's own against J35/109 as in phrf they gave 6 to 9 seconds//mile. In light air (under 10) would struggle.  A feathering prop is well worth it if performance is cared about.  There were some initial build issues that Elan took care of, don't remember the details.  I liked the boat, never felt out of control even in big breeze - did require 10 crew to be competitive against the above mentioned boats.

I sailed a few. Build quality seemed average to a bit above average for the mid range and production boats.  Is not an X, but it's not a Bavaria either.

For performance you're going to have to be a bit more specific. They produced a wide range, and even for a given model there were big difference in spec. Some went quite well. Others didn't have enough keel, a short rig with a furling main and a 3 blade prop...

Sailed an Elan 40 in the protected waters of the Dalmatian Coast when the boat first came out.  Boat sailed like an absolute dream in flat water with up to 20kts of wind.  When we took it out to the open Adriatic with the full force of the wind and waves we were a little less enthusiastic.  It was very comfortable for cruising.  We "beat" all of the boats around us that had no idea we were racing.

I own a Beneteau and I think the Elan build quality was quite a bit better than my Beneteau.

Is there any relationship between this elan, and the elan trimarans from a dozen years back? They were building knock off dragonfly 26s.

On 1/25/2020 at 11:03 PM, basketcase said:

Is there any relationship between this elan, and the elan trimarans from a dozen years back? They were building knock off dragonfly 26s.

no

No Elan is part of ski manufacturing conglomerate, well known because they pushed the carving shape and are huge, and old.
Not a bad family to be part of.

Not a bunch of knocker off's.

We have a 1985 Elan 31S.  Having sailed quite a bit on Beneteau boats, I'd say the build quality is better.  In fact our surveyor compared the tabbing to a Sabre.  That was on an 85 boat so not sure how it compares to a 2005 boat.  One cool thing, a few years ago we needed help with the keel boat torque.  I emailed Elan and they got back to me with a suggested setting. I thought that was pretty good.  I'd buy an Elan again.

HTH.

I sailed Elan 31 for 15 years (year around 2002 owned by my wife and her sister) - really good quality, no problems at all and super fast for the size. Really good sailing experience as a small family carouser. 

last year I've bought a 2017 Elan S5 (similar to E5 but lighter). Also looks to be of good quality. I do have some rain water leaking problems (some solved some remain to be), but overall looks good. It's super fast and super light (it's S version, E is probably less so) - navigating in marina in a breeze sometimes difficult due lightness of the boat. But more than good for sailing. 

They are a bit over engineered - which I find both good and bad at the same time. So far I love it. 

• Like 1

On 1/24/2020 at 4:03 AM, When I Retire said:

Contemplating buying an Elan built around 2005.  I have never sailed an Elan.  Can someone share some insights into the boats.  Are they built well?  Do they hold up?  Do they sail well?

Been out on a 410, impressions would be well built, held up well so far, sails I think well for what it is. It's not a rocket-ship, but it's a comfy cruiser-racer which seems nicely built.

Take your missus to the Elan Chateau in Slovenia, take a trip through the factory and she will be sold, my missus spotted every Elan as we bobbed around thousand islands after that

I had a lovely time on an Elan 4, two years ago, going from Concarneau to San Sebastian and back, during a two weeks Glenans session. We chilled, raced, trained, and it was a great support for us. I found it was a cool sport cruiser, safe and reactive. Not a rocket indeed, but sensations are nice. Fairly easy to maneuver overall. Deck is clean (as with most recent designs) Basic equipments are basic but comfy enough.

Just made a youtube link from that trip, since facebook vids can't be embeded