eltelatron

Superyacht A mast issues....

Looks like they could do with an auto feathering mechanism... or it may have malfunctioned! Either way it's fucking terrifying.

Those rigs are about 90m tall for reference (approx 300ft for those stateside).

• Like 3

Nice find, that was be pretty disconcerting to be onboard watching and listening to that! 

35 minutes ago, eliboat said:

Guess this is the ultimate super rich person problem

Or quite possibly these guys.

http://www.magmastructures.com/magma-structures-masts-successfully-stepped-on-sailing-yacht-a/

NEWS & VIEWS

World’s tallest masts stepped on Sailing Yacht A

The world’s tallest carbon composite masts, manufactured by Magma Structures, have been successfully stepped on Sailing Yacht A, the world’s longest sailing superyacht.

The operation took place over several days and was completed earlier this week.

That has to be one heck of a noise reverberating though the hull. 

Software can solve that.

I am simply amazed at how resistant people are to using software to simplify dynamic issues, such as dealing with lift.

27 minutes ago, carcrash said:

Software can solve that.

I am simply amazed at how resistant people are to using software to simplify dynamic issues, such as dealing with lift.

I hear Boeing has some software for that. 

• Like 8

The asshole that inflicted that monstrosity on the world gets not one iota of sympathy from me.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, eltelatron said:

Looks like they could do with an auto feathering mechanism... or it may have malfunctioned! Either way it's fucking terrifying.

Those rigs are about 90m tall for reference (approx 300ft for those stateside).

needs some check stays..

• Like 4

58 minutes ago, carcrash said:

Software can solve that.

right, so you think they just sketched this out on a napkin?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, eliboat said:

Judging buy the overall appearance, at least the exterior shape was done that way I'll bet.  

On a damp cocktail napkin, after a lot of vodka, in a dark bar.

3 hours ago, eliboat said:

Seemingly, based on observable evidence, it’s just a bunch of static carbon trying to solve a dynamic problem. Not necessarily a napkin, but obviously no control theorist was involved. So an incomplete design.

9 minutes ago, carcrash said:

Seemingly, based on observable evidence, it’s just a bunch of static carbon trying to solve a dynamic problem. Not necessarily a napkin, but obviously no control theorist was involved. So an incomplete design.

Heck, you don't even need software to know the basic problem there. But you are right--no real excuse not to engineer it properly.

That is crazy shit. Imagine 90m tall building whipping back and forth like that.

I found data on smaller wind turbine blades of 67m weighing 22 T.

So extrapolguessing I think a 90m mast is probably in the range of 30-35 T (likely higher loads than a wind turbine blade)

Wouldn't want that crashing down on your deck. It would scratch the teak.

IF THE BOATS A ROCKIN', DON'T COME A KNOCKIN'

• Like 3

Frankly I’m impressed the mast survived even the few seconds caught on camera

• Like 1

You can't blame the mast.

It took one look at the boat it was being bolted to and is fighting tooth and nail to be elsewhere.

• Like 10
  • Downvote 1

4 hours ago, Fiji Bitter said:

Opinions are like what again?

Arseholes, everyone has one. 

The mast is fine!! It’s the structure underneath that’s not happy. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, mad said:

The mast is fine!! It’s the structure underneath that’s not happy. 

The mast is shaking. Looks like Karman vortex street induced excitation matching the natural frequency. Basically the mast isn't stiff enough.

• Like 1

However, the other's aren't doing it. So are they stiffer, or is the stiffness problem in the mount?

5 hours ago, Fiji Bitter said:

Opinions are like what again?

Diamond - if it's my opinion or a few select others.

Since you can't even remember, yours has little to no value.

1 hour ago, Zonker said:

That is crazy shit. Imagine 90m tall building whipping back and forth like that.

22 minutes ago, fastyacht said:

However, the other's aren't doing it. So are they stiffer, or is the stiffness problem in the mount?

Somewhat different heights so different natural frequency for a given wind speed?

But yeah, not enough stiffness in any event, even at nat. frequency of the mast.

1 minute ago, Zonker said:

Somewhat different heights so different natural frequency for a given wind speed?

But yeah, not enough stiffness in any event, even at nat. frequency of the mast.

I watched a light standard shaking in 18 knots not long ago. It was aluminum, the light stood perfectly still at the top and the pole bowed back and forth at about 20 Hz. The amplitude was impressive.

1 hour ago, fastyacht said:

When I was young and learning to shoot, they said, “it’s all in the mount.”

Extrapolates ok generally. 
This looks to be a different problem though....

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mad said:

Arseholes, everyone has one. 

And most of them stink!

(The real meaning of the expression). ;)

3 hours ago, zenmasterfred said:

Will be raining carbon fibre on the commoners.

Nah, mast'll be fine that has loads more to go yet. What it's doing to the deck is a different question.

That's crazy, if you look closely, when they zoom in you'll see two or three little people moving aft from the base of the rig....

Reminds me of this, very popular in Friesland.

As for the wing flutter: Karma.

Well, ugliness is in the eye of the beholder, but if I had paid quite a few millions to Philippe Starck for the design of my billion dollar yacht, then I would think it is actually very beautiful. Just imagine this is your dream yacht.

This video of another biggie gives you an idea of the engineering of those free standing rigs. This one also by Magma Structures.

Believe it or not, but I know one of the very sexy stewardesses of the Yacht A, and I'll see what I can find out from her. She is actually also a mechanical engineer.

Due to where YACHT A is lying… I suspect the fail/wobble was caused by storm/cyclone Gloria that battered eastern Spain/Balearics a few days back.

Inevitably, some yachts holding in marinas along Barcelona’s sea line took damage.

Increasingly, prudent owners and pro captains need to have a solid Med’ winter holding strategy in place. If I had the responsibility and care of a superyacht, fairly certain
keeping it at a base around the Golf du Lion zone wouldn’t be top of my list from Oct-March.

Insurance claims mean higher premiums for all… no laughing matter.

Perini-Navi as it happens, are going back to Falcon Rigs.

Untitled-1.thumb.jpg.33f48d202f6589b530336265c2f8b01c.jpg

Their signature-look of course…

On 1/24/2020 at 5:44 AM, Laser1 said:

She's going to blow! 

Exactly what I was thinkin, ya beat me to it.

Resonance anyone?  Doh oops...

Btw that thing is an abomination, ugliest boat ever built.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, boguing said:

[media]

[/media]

Holy crap!  I did not realize that flutter would occur in 'properly' designed aircraft, (or at least in planes that were in everyday use for the most part...)  That would really soil my drawers!

Flutter is part of what is generally referred to as "aeroelasticity" which involves a feedback between geometry changes and aero forces.

Note that the  problem of karman vortex shedding inducing vbration taht matches a resonance occurs without any feedback issues. In the wing mast the aeroelasticity is worth examining for obvious reasons (not a simple cylinder so changes in angle of attack change the load and can lead to flutter).

22 hours ago, Ed Lada said:

Judging buy the overall appearance, at least the exterior shape was done that way I'll bet.  

On a damp cocktail napkin, after a lot of vodka, in a dark bar.

The tender isn’t any better. 

6920B6D8-7813-4132-AAF2-D3BC3BBBEF4F.jpeg

6 minutes ago, Monkey said:

They could have at least been consistent with the материнский корабль.

6920B6D8-7813-4132-AAF2-D3BC3BBBEF4F.jpeg.76ace6d3311b505789ff9f71363a8892.jpeg

• Like 5

On 1/25/2020 at 7:46 PM, Priscilla said:

Talking of nuts.

He wasn't a nut, he was a tool.

On 1/25/2020 at 1:14 PM, Monkey said:

6920B6D8-7813-4132-AAF2-D3BC3BBBEF4F.jpeg

It’s fitting to have Rebecca in the background just as an example of the exact opposite of A when it comes to Aesthetics and taste.  

• Like 3

@eliboat That in the background is Hetairos... not quite as classic but equally as stunning a boat as Rebecca in my opinion and an absolute fucking weapon considering her size. She smashed a transatlantic crossing late last year with some ridiculous speeds...

• Like 1

On 1/25/2020 at 8:46 AM, Fiji Bitter said:

Well, ugliness is in the eye of the beholder, but if I had paid quite a few millions to Philippe Starck for the design of my billion dollar yacht, then I would think it is actually very beautiful. Just imagine this is your dream yacht.

This video of another biggie gives you an idea of the engineering of those free standing rigs. This one also by Magma Structures.

Believe it or not, but I know one of the very sexy stewardesses of the Yacht A, and I'll see what I can find out from her. She is actually also a mechanical engineer.

Most people would have refused the bill and told him to come back with something aesthetically pleasing, not a bastardised wedding cake of a design. :)

I'm sure there's an obvious answer to some, but interesting only one mast of three showing that issue. Presumably they're all similar, though clearly not the same.

Will there ever be a clear sailing video of Yacht A other than this (which shows little to nothing, might be entirely motoring):

On 1/25/2020 at 7:31 AM, Veeger said:

Holy crap!  I did not realize that flutter would occur in 'properly' designed aircraft, (or at least in planes that were in everyday use for the most part...)  That would really soil my drawers!

birds wings and feathers flutter too...  so nothing new...  air is thicker than everyone thinks..

FYI if you go to google earth you can see A just outside the harbor at Gustavia, st barts. It was there for the bucket last year:

A yacht st barts.JPG

Is not the first time they had issue with the masts. The first funnels release was badly oriented on the third mast base. Carbon fiber definitely didn’t like so much heat...

Later on the funnels were modified (as they are today) with a Y shape to reduce the exhaust flow on the mast surface.

Also today if you look close at the base of the third mast you can clearly see some later patches

9792F615-9A39-41FA-9EAF-6570DE32BC00.thumb.jpeg.674c6ba5f121953640c93e05e15e015b.jpeg

6 hours ago, mad said:

Most people would have refused the bill and told him to come back with something aesthetically pleasing, not a bastardised wedding cake of a design. :)

Actiually it is very innovative. It got the m around the line of sight problem to meet ILLC. :-P

On 1/25/2020 at 6:22 PM, fastyacht said:

They could have at least been consistent with the материнский корабль.

6920B6D8-7813-4132-AAF2-D3BC3BBBEF4F.jpeg.76ace6d3311b505789ff9f71363a8892.jpeg

I keep coming back to this thinking 'If Elon did tenders...'.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, mad said:

The poor billionaire must have thought that you can't go wrong with a famous and expensive industrial designer, who also designed a superyacht for no less than Steve Jobs. Must be a case of The Emperor's New Clothes syndrome, or they just like fat arses...

5ce9b2afb67b00777b1fabb8c9c74d5c.jpg.f317b510fe880c42b89aaa0dbb753ae7.jpg

Looked up why Philippe Starck was so famous, and the Wiki said "Through his "democratic design" concept, Starck has campaigned for well-designed objects that are not just aimed for upper-tiered incomes." :D :rolleyes:

Conflation 0f functional design with aesthetics is at the crux of misunderstanding good design.

13 hours ago, MidPack said:

I'm sure there's an obvious answer to some, but interesting only one mast of three showing that issue. Presumably they're all similar, though clearly not the same.

Will there ever be a clear sailing video of Yacht A other than this (which shows little to nothing, might be entirely motoring):

She is classed as a "sail assisted motor vessel" so heel angle very much limited and engines are to be kept running.

Running natural frequency calcs is pretty standard for these type of rigs, but the "boom-less" situation of the video might not have been considered as everything still had a budget and timeline. And there is always the discussion about the stiffness of the boat, which impacts the frequency as will the way the boat is secured whilst in winter storage.

15 hours ago, Fiji Bitter said:

The poor billionaire must have thought that you can't go wrong with a famous and expensive industrial designer, who also designed a superyacht for no less than Steve Jobs. Must be a case of The Emperor's New Clothes syndrome, or they just like fat arses...

5ce9b2afb67b00777b1fabb8c9c74d5c.jpg.f317b510fe880c42b89aaa0dbb753ae7.jpg

Looked up why Philippe Starck was so famous, and the Wiki said "Through his "democratic design" concept, Starck has campaigned for well-designed objects that are not just aimed for upper-tiered incomes." :D :rolleyes:

Steve Jobs lived much closer to the Sausalito houseboat community than most people thought.

I had the Microsoft-S+arck mouse, back in the day. It wouldn’t work consistently for more than 15 minutes at a time. I bought several, all duds. Kind of surprising given Microsoft’s track record with mice. I’d be reluctant to set foot on a vessel associated with the guy, much less buy one on purpose.

https://www.starck.com/optical-mouse-p2628

I’ve sailed by Steve Job’s stinkpot while it was moored. It wasn’t exactly ugly, but looked rather... weird. Ok, the stern was ugly. But the rest was just weird in a nerd kind of way. At least,  unlike Floating Object “A”, it had those biiig windows and you could actually imagine sitting there, enjoying it, watching the scenery from the comfort of your mosquito-less air conditioned Pagoden. 

2 minutes ago, 10thTonner said:

I’ve sailed by Steve Job’s stinkpot while it was moored. It wasn’t exactly ugly, but looked rather... weird. Ok, the stern was ugly. But the rest was just weird in a nerd kind of way. At least,  unlike Floating Object “A”, it had those biiig windows and you could actually imagine sitting there, enjoying it, watching the scenery from the comfort of your mosquito-less air conditioned Pagoden. 

Bolger did it better. Haha.

birdwatcher.jpeg

bw2_small_FRidge.jpg