Sign in to follow this  
d'ranger

Kobe Bryant kicks the bucket

Recommended Posts

23 minutes ago, Fakenews said:

DTS.  I would never get in a helicopter.  Engine stops you fall like a rock.

Autorotation gives you better survival odds than most fixed wing aircraft.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gator superior knowledge fails again.  Several pilots in my family, one flew Hueys in Nam and was an instructor for several years.  Now that being said I would never have gotten in a chopper with Kobe, karma and all that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

Autorotation gives you better survival odds than most fixed wing aircraft.

Sloop has a point here. Helos have higher crash rate that fixed wing but the survivability rate is better.

Do helicopters really crash more often than planes? Yes. Helicopters crash at a slightly higher rate than aircraft overall, according to data collected by the National Transportation Safety Board. General aircraft—airplanes, helicopters, balloons, blimps, and everything else—average 7.28 crashes for every 100,000 hours of flight time. The crash rate for helicopters alone is 9.84 per 100,000 hours. That means helicopters crash about 35 percent more often per hour in the air than your average aircraft. (Of course, not all planes are created equal: Single-engine piston planes are 10 times more likely to crash than jets.) Helicopter crashes, however, are less likely to kill you: The fatality rate in helicopter crashes is 1.3 deaths per 100,000 flight hours versus 1.4 deaths for aircraft in general.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Fakenews said:

DTS.  I would never get in a helicopter.  Engine stops you fall like a rock.

Jet powered copters are reliable.  Internal combustion engines, not so much.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Do they still make those? I thought piston helos went out with the Bell 47 or thereabouts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

TMZ now reporting that his 13 yr old daughter was also killed in the crash. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Al Paca said:

TMZ now reporting that his 13 yr old daughter was also killed in the crash. 

Sad....flying to his Academy for his daughter practice...

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1) Spent a lot of time in helicopters. It was never something I looked forward to. Damn things......

2) I’ve had one or two unsatisfactory experiences with him but overall I think he was engaged in the community in a positive way and did lots of good. BB legend and deservedly so at that.

One of our fire pilots was friends with the pilot of that ship. Reportedly a good pilot and guy as well. 

Really awful news. Fair winds Kobe, daughter, and the others.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Point Break said:

1) Spent a lot of time in helicopters. It was never something I looked forward to. Damn things......

2) I’ve had one or two unsatisfactory experiences with him but overall I think he was engaged in the community in a positive way and did lots of good. BB legend and deservedly so at that.

One of our fire pilots was friends with the pilot of that ship. Reportedly a good pilot and guy as well. 

Really awful news. Fair winds Kobe, daughter, and the others.

 

Any time you fly or go underwater, both beautiful , you are accepting the risk. 

Sad ~~~~

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, BravoBravo said:

Any time you fly or go underwater, both beautiful , you are accepting the risk. 

Sad ~~~~

Agree completely. I flew as part of work and risk acceptance was part of the landscape! I'd never have chosen that activity otherwise. :lol:

Side note......bad enough to know you're gonna probably die as the ship goes down but to have your daughter sitting next to you. Incomprehensible what those moments must have been like. Just awful.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sloppy has a point on the top  of his head. Kobe is dead and he still lives. Where is the justice? 

Would you rather be in Cessna 172 a 12 year old can load, or a chopper at 5000 feet and no power? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Fakenews said:

DTS.  I would never get in a helicopter.  Engine stops you fall like a rock.

No you don't.... 

1 hour ago, hasher said:

Jet powered copters are reliable.  Internal combustion engines, not so much.

Do tell? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, nacradriver said:

No you don't.... 

Do tell? 

I knew an airplane mechanic.  In his opinion, it is not if the internal combustion engine would, it was when.

I knew a police dispatcher in Atlanta.  Before they got the Vietnam era helicopters, it was not unusual for one the old one's to come down.

I road around the sky above Houston in a police helicopter.  I felt very safe.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So sad.  By all accounts Kobe was a very bright guy, spoke at least 3 languages fluently plus learned French so he could effectively trash talk Tony Parker.  RIP

Oh yeah, and he won an Oscar last year

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, hasher said:

I knew an airplane mechanic.  In his opinion, it is not if the internal combustion engine would, it was when.

I knew a police dispatcher in Atlanta.  Before they got the Vietnam era helicopters, it was not unusual for one the old one's to come down.

I road around the sky above Houston in a police helicopter.  I felt very safe.

Many of them use a Lycoming IO-540 engine and it has a 2000 hour recommend rebuild... I have seen some of these engines go way beyond this recommendation and when we finally tore them down much of their internal parts were still within the oratory tolerances.    Robinson Helicopter company still users this engine for many of their helicopters that are sold to police and news operations...  But what they know.. right..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, d'ranger said:

No chance of rebound

I thick the buckette kickte hime and hisse familey.  RIP KB and familey.                        

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, nacradriver said:

Many of them use a Lycoming IO-540 engine and it has a 2000 hour recommend rebuild... I have seen some of these engines go way beyond this recommendation and when we finally tore them down much of their internal parts were still within the oratory tolerances.    Robinson Helicopter company still users this engine for many of their helicopters that are sold to police and news operations...  But what they know.. right..

I don't have any knowledge or experience in this area.  I try to follow the advise of people who do have unique knowledge and experience.

https://www.pprune.org/tech-log/292952-lycoming-continental-piston-engines.html

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, hasher said:

I don't have any knowledge or experience in this area.  I try to follow the advise of people who do have unique knowledge and experience.

https://www.pprune.org/tech-log/292952-lycoming-continental-piston-engines.html

Thank you ...  if you read through it, it proved my point... 

Good day

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The FAA does an excellent job with there crash investigations... don’t know if his helicopter had or was required to carry voice and data recorders ... hope it had both 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was in a Starbucks bout a year ago. Mid morning and the crowds had gone. Walk up to the counter to order and noticed a pretty tall black guy down at the pick up window. Now this is in Waspville USA. It was Koby. As he’s walking out the door I realize who it was. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Point Break said:

1) Spent a lot of time in helicopters. It was never something I looked forward to. Damn things......

2) I’ve had one or two unsatisfactory experiences with him but overall I think he was engaged in the community in a positive way and did lots of good. BB legend and deservedly so at that.

One of our fire pilots was friends with the pilot of that ship. Reportedly a good pilot and guy as well. 

Really awful news. Fair winds Kobe, daughter, and the others.

 

The young lady in Colorado had a decidedly unpleasant experience with him. Terribly sad about the daughter.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Fakenews said:

DTS.  I would never get in a helicopter.  Engine stops you fall like a rock.

Same glide pattern as a 9lb house brick

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, BravoBravo said:

The FAA NTSB does an excellent job with there crash investigations... don’t know if his helicopter had or was required to carry voice and data recorders ... hope it had both 

Fixed for ya...  Once they do the investigation they turn the findings over to the FAA.... kind of like cops and district attorneys

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, Cruisin Loser said:

Terribly sad about the daughter.

You our terribelle, juste licke me                  :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, nacradriver said:

Fixed for ya...  Once they do the investigation they turn the findings over to the FAA.... kind of like cops and district attorneys

 

I am watching “Air Disasters “... right now, yep you are correct. It is a very interesting series and yes the NTSB does an excellent job!  Any clue about voice and date recorders on that type of aircraft?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Al Paca said:

I was in a Starbucks bout a year ago. Mid morning and the crowds had gone. Walk up to the counter to order and noticed a pretty tall black guy down at the pick up window. Now this is in Waspville USA. It was Koby. As he’s walking out the door I realize who it was. 

Good story! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, BravoBravo said:

I am watching “Air Disasters “... right now, yep you are correct. It is a very interesting series and yes the NTSB does an excellent job!  Any clue about voice and date recorders on that type of aircraft?

Maybe required by the insurance company....   Most private aircraft are not required to carry a them..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

no matter how rich you are,  life doesn't care...

Gravity and father time.  Still undefeated 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pretty pimped out ride!Kobe takes part in farewell race with Nike Black Mamba painting helicopter

 

This was his loaner that he rented for years before stepping up to the Sikorsky S-76.

Related image

 

Sikorsky, a subsidiary of Lockheed Martin, also makes vehicles for the military. The company markets the Sikorsky S-76 to corporate executives for personal transportation, though it’s also used for search and rescue missions. It typically costs around $13 million, can carry up to 12 passengers, features twin turboshaft engines, and has a range of 472 miles. More than 178 corporate and VIP customers currently operate Sikorsky S-76 helicopters, as do various heads of state. A Sikorsky S-76 crashed in Canada in 2013, as did another in Turkey in 2017. The company’s website, though, notes that the helicopter has “more than 7.4 million hours of safe, successful flight.” According to Business Insider, the Sikorsky S-76 has a “sterling safety record.”

      Sounds like the Volvo of private choppers though.

When things went wrong it looks like it was over in 15-20 seconds. RIP to all on board.

image.png.d19aa9b75ae163a57b02af5173a5c8af.png

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

Fox news reporting

 

Oh come on man that’s fucked up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, 2slow said:

Gravity and father time.  Still undefeated 

Apparently it wasn’t gravity.  Thick fog couldn’t find their bearings visually and flew into a hillside.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Fakenews said:

Apparently it wasn’t gravity.  Thick fog couldn’t find their bearings visually and flew into a hillside.

 

Looks that way from the debris field.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Fakenews said:

Apparently it wasn’t gravity.  Thick fog couldn’t find their bearings visually and flew into a hillside.

 

At least it was quick.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, IStream said:

At least it was quick.

They were going 170 knots passengers probably didn’t have time to register.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

News sources reporting that there were 9 people on the helicopter.  All presumed dead.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

From everything I've read, the superstar basketball player was paying it back.  For you haters, what have you given  RIP Kobe, we lost a good one.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They were doing 170 knots in fog, where they IFR or VFR?

Somebody might have some explaining to do..

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

8 minutes ago, Navig8tor said:

They were doing 170 knots in fog, where they IFR or VFR?

Somebody might have some explaining to do..

I can’t find the story but they were flying in fog trying to follow the 105 or 405 or whatever it is.  Flew into even thicker flog and lost the highway. Climbed presumably to get above the fog bank and flew directly into a hill.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Snaggletooth said:

Whearre is Waspeville?

Posh coastal town south of LA. Very Anglo, very red. Has a statue of John Wayne in one of its city’s park. $$$

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

Do they still make those? I thought piston helos went out with the Bell 47 or thereabouts.

https://composite-fx.com/models/

image.png.cbd4f65fc28a1323c4942234193d156d.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

image.png.bdfc234efa198723071a1bba0eb39599.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Charlie Foxtrot said:

Kobe finally passed. 

I hope he wasn't dribbling when it happened.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Fakenews said:

 

I can’t find the story but they were flying in fog trying to follow the 105 or 405 or whatever it is.  Flew into even thicker flog and lost the highway. Climbed presumably to get above the fog bank and flew directly into a hill.

That is not what the radio exchange in the video above seems to indicate.

At 3:29 in the video, the meteo report of Van Nuys Airport states overcast at 1100 ft, that is Above Ground level. The airport elevation is 800 ft. So the bottom of the overcast clouds (meaning 100% coverage) is reported at 1900 ft altitude.

At 3:45 in the video, the pilot reports being in VFR conditions (visual flight rules) at 1500 ft altitude. This is not contradictory to the weather report.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Laurent said:

That is not what the radio exchange in the video above seems to indicate.

At 3:29 in the video, the meteo report of Van Nuys Airport states overcast at 1100 ft, that is Above Ground level. The airport elevation is 800 ft. So the bottom of the overcast clouds (meaning 100% coverage) is reported at 1900 ft altitude.

At 3:45 in the video, the pilot reports being in VFR conditions (visual flight rules) at 1500 ft altitude. This is not contradictory to the weather report.

Obviously better reporting than the early account.  Still must have lost all visual reference at the end.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Charlie Foxtrot said:

Kobe finally passed. 

I see what you did there. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have to say..........since we are in the LA TV Market.............it is all we will hear about for weeks...................sigh..................

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Navig8tor said:

They were doing 170 knots in fog, where they IFR or VFR?

Somebody might have some explaining to do..

I fly and am instrument rated and you are an idiot.  

Were vs where just to start the debate.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Kobe made some of the most insightful vids, he did them for instructional purposes for players so they aren't well known.  

 He will be missed. One of the best that ever played, effin' period,  and he liked to help others. 

  

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Cal20sailor said:

I fly and am instrument rated and you are an idiot.  

Were vs where just to start the debate.  

VFR and following highways in limited vis?

Whose the the idiot, BTW I used to fly too.

Sorry for the where, sometimes predictive can be a pain in the ass

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Navig8tor said:

VFR and following highways in limited vis?

Whose the the idiot, BTW I used to fly too.

Sorry for the where, sometimes predictive can be a pain in the ass

If you are as you claim, then you know the pilot had a commercial rating and the craft came apart on him.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, BravoBravo said:

The FAA does an excellent job with there crash investigations... don’t know if his helicopter had or was required to carry voice and data recorders ... hope it had both 

According to the usually reliable sources on PPRUNE, it had both.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Raked Aft\\ said:

Here's a decent recap,  

 RIP all on board...

Excellent facts and supposition ...probably the best you'll find

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He was a beast on the court and will be missed rip Kobe :(

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Snaggletooth said:

Whearre is Waspeville?

As far from the hoi polloi as possible.  Often behind high walls if not.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Cruisin Loser said:

The young lady in Colorado had a decidedly unpleasant experience with him. Terribly sad about the daughter.

He gave her an offer she couldn't refuse.

She refused to testify and later got $2.5 mil.

I heard the front door was consensual, the back door was rape.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Fakenews said:

Oh come on man that’s fucked up.

so are you..     and  fox news reporting on his last tweet, like he was a god, is fucked up....  to keep focusing on Kobe and his daughter is pretty disrespectful of the other 7 people in the copter..

apparently, GPS, is optional..

Quote

Sikorsky, a subsidiary of Lockheed Martin, also makes vehicles for the military. The company markets the Sikorsky S-76 to corporate executives for personal transportation, though it’s also used for search and rescue missions. It typically costs around $13 million, can carry up to 12 passengers, features twin turboshaft engines, and has a range of 472 miles. More than 178 corporate and VIP customers currently operate Sikorsky S-76 helicopters, as do various heads of state. A Sikorsky S-76 crashed in Canada in 2013, as did another in Turkey in 2017. The company’s website, though, notes that the helicopter has “more than 7.4 million hours of safe, successful flight.” According to Business Insider, the Sikorsky S-76 has a “sterling safety record.”

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Fakenews said:

DTS.  I would never get in a helicopter.  Engine stops you fall like a rock.

Shit for brains Gator.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Cal20sailor said:

Shit for brains Gator.

I bette he gigelles and rubbes hisself e silley when you caulle hime that.                         

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Cal20sailor said:

If you are as you claim, then you know the pilot had a commercial rating and the craft came apart on him.  

Yep the commercial is a given, however your comment about the craft came apart,  it has been well documented that unexpected hills will do that to an aircraft.

End of the day there is so much conjecture surrounding this tragedy I’ll leave the conclusions to the experts.
My pick is a disoriented pilot, this  supported in part by air traffic advising him he was too low before contact was lost.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Navig8tor said:

Yep the commercial is a given, however your comment about the craft came apart,  it has been well documented that unexpected hills will do that to an aircraft.

End of the day there is so much conjecture surrounding this tragedy I’ll leave the conclusions to the experts.
My pick is a disoriented pilot, this  supported in part by air traffic advising him he was too low before contact was lost.

I’m no aircraft crash investigator, but one of the crashes I “attended”, in chatting with the FAA investigator he pointed out that a sure sign it was run into the side of the hill at speed was the debris field was spread out uphill in a V pattern from the main body of the aircraft. Watching the news coverage, the debris pattern from this crash matches that description. Although the one we chatted about was a fixed wing, seems the physics would be the same. We’ll see.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes. LAPD wasn’t flying. Their internal rules require a minimum of 2 miles visibility. Helicopter Special VFR (visual flight rules) requires clear of clouds and 1 mile visibility. Apparently, they had that until they didn’t. That’s one problem with fog in the hills. Pretty easy to press it “jut a little” expecting to break out in just a second. Add in a high profile set of passengers and bailing out is a good way to lose future business. 
 

As to the “top low” , don’t make too much about it. Just means he was no in direct radar line of sight so that flight following could not pick him up.   With a single pilot flying in deteriorating conditions, trying to navigate using the “I follow roads” techniques (legal when flying spec VFR), I suspect the guy was pretty task saturated. 

Friend  of mine was a helo pilot and a NTSB air crash investigator. They will do a very good job of chasing down what actually happened but at this point I would bet it’s a matter of pushing to far in deteriorating visibility and finding cumulogranite in that fog. 
 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not a pilot but if I was flying a chopper and ran into fog with hills around I think I'd stop forward motion and go up - way up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Innocent Bystander said:

Yes. LAPD wasn’t flying. Their internal rules require a minimum of 2 miles visibility. Helicopter Special VFR (visual flight rules) requires clear of clouds and 1 mile visibility. Apparently, they had that until they didn’t. That’s one problem with fog in the hills. Pretty easy to press it “jut a little” expecting to break out in just a second. Add in a high profile set of passengers and bailing out is a good way to lose future business. 
 

As to the “top low” , don’t make too much about it. Just means he was no in direct radar line of sight so that flight following could not pick him up.   With a single pilot flying in deteriorating conditions, trying to navigate using the “I follow roads” techniques (legal when flying spec VFR), I suspect the guy was pretty task saturated. 

Friend  of mine was a helo pilot and a NTSB air crash investigator. They will do a very good job of chasing down what actually happened but at this point I would bet it’s a matter of pushing to far in deteriorating visibility and finding cumulogranite in that fog. 
 

It was already not a good flying day as the pilot was prepping himself and the helicopter  long before the passengers boarded. Then the helo was after flying told to hold in place for 15 minutes, probably the total flight time anticipated, more self imposed pressure on the pilot. The ATC communications were excellent and it seemed everyone was aware of the tricky flying conditions. I’d like to know how long it was between the hand off between ATC #2 and ATC #3 the SoCal ATC ... that and I don’t recall any radio exchange between the pilot and ATC # 3 ... perhaps the pilot never changed frequencies... last radio exchange I recall was ATC repeatedly hailing the helo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

I'm not a pilot but if I was flying a chopper and ran into fog with hills around I think I'd stop forward motion and go up - way up.

Nice idea in isolation, but there may be IFR traffic that expects you to be under your clearance ceiling.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Innocent Bystander said:

finding cumulogranite in that fog. 
 

Gonna steal that.............without attribution.............sorry.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Tax Man said:

Nice idea in isolation, but there may be IFR traffic that expects you to be under your clearance ceiling.

Then hover and wait for clearance - anything is better than "controlled flight into terrain"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, SloopJonB said:

Then hover and wait for clearance - anything is better than "controlled flight into terrain"

That reminds me of getting a helo ride at a big regatta on St Croix. For some reason I hadn't lined up a boat to race upon but decided to just grab my camera and go shoot some photos of the proceedings. The weather that morning was terrible by Island standards. A tropical wave had been churning up higher than usual waves and winds and had turned into some 'upper level low' or whatever and was approaching. I wasn't even sure about getting on the committee boat with my modest camera gear and figured I might just drive to the leeside of the island and look for some surfing there as the North Shore was totally blown out. The start sequence was about to start and the committee had set up the line real close to the entry in the reef to the Yacht Club so I could just stop at the top of the hill and shoot almost straight down at the start. Boats were already broaching and taking knockdowns before the start and the committee boat had radioed back to the Clubhouse that they saw 50 kts at the peak of the last squall with more fast moving rain squalls on the radar moving in. As I crossed the parking lot a Robertson 4 place helo zipped over and then landed on the club grounds. I took a couple of photos of the little bird dancing around in the williwaws blasting down from over the mountain just to windward of the club. The pilot jumped out and looked at me and asked if I had all my gear ready to go and that he needed someplace to store the doors to his helo while he flew the photoshoot. I told him I was not the photographer hired to shoot the event but we could stow his doors in the cab of my truck. We popped them off the hinges of the still running chopper and still no sign of the shooter. I said I had seen him earlier having a rum breakfast at the bar probably for liquid courage for the days assignment. The pilot cussed like a sailor and said that the weather window was very narrow and asked if I would run get the tardy lensman. 

    I did as asked and told the photographer the pilot was pretty upset having to wait and the guy didn't even have his lenses and body chosen from the mountain of gear bags sitting next to the bar. He started picking and choosing through the bags and I tried to impress on him that the chopper was locked and loaded with the rotor still spinning in the rising winds. I guess if the engine is running and in neutral the rotor has to autorotate if there is any wind. I went back to report to the pilot and he said that he and I should just put his doors back on an he would blow the whole mission off. Just as we each picked up a door the photographer came dawdling up to us and the pilot took one look at the 500 mm Canon telephoto lens on one camera and an almost equally 'big dick' sort of camera/lens setup on the other shoulder and a couple of gear bags to boot and the pilot went into a tirade that there was no way one could effectively shoot a telephoto from a reciprocating helo on a day like that. The photographer mumbled something about having shorter wide angle lenses and opened a bag and the pilot looked at me and asked what lens I had on my camera. I showed him my setup and he said, 'That's perfect, lets go!' as the first drops of rain started to fall. We closed the truck cap on the helo doors and were in the helo before the clueless photographer even knew he had been bumped! 

    The pilot told me that the biggest hazard of helo photography was some asshole gear hound, like the guy who was trying to run and board the aircraft even though the rotor was winding up, was them letting a camera or bag strap get caught in the wind and fly around the cabin and foul the controls. He told me to take off my lens caps and put them deep in my pockets as well and just shoot with what was already in my hand. We had time to dash down wind just as the downdraft winds that preceed a tropical squall was wreaking total havoc on the fleet and I shot as fast as my motor drive would let me. I managed to even get a full dis-masting sequence before the rains came and we flitted away down wind along the rugged North Shore. The pilot was a real hot dog and when he saw indications of a squall about to cut us off approaching from the North, he pointed up to his left and took us up a gully/canyon rising to the top of the mountain ridge that runs like a spine down the length of the island. That was pretty exciting weaving up the gut to the ridge but then when we cleared the crest there was an even nastier squall rolling down the South Shore! I was starting to worry and looked over at the pilot and he just grinned and said through the intercom, 'We are going to have to sit this one out...' and put the nose over toward a pasture at the base of the mountain. He wasted no time to take a quick orbit to make sure that there were no old sugar mill foundations lurking in the tall grass and put the nose into the wind and set up down with authority. The white out that comes with the first wall of rain was almost upon us and he just left the rotor idling enough to sling any rain outward and we sat through the downpour with no rain or even mist coming through the cockpit sans doors. The nice thing about tropical squalls is the usually go as fast as the come and we were back in the air no harm done in maybe 10 minutes. He gave me the E-Ticket ride bach to the East end up the South side of the Island and then did a fantastic airborne assault type of pop up maneuver that plopped up down in the club parking lot right next to my truck!  We popped the doors on he was gone before the fat cameraman was able to once again haul his gear out think that he was going up next.  A half hour later he was still bitching to the club manager and anyone else who would listen about me hijacking 'his' helicopter when the phone rang and it was the helo pilot calling from the airport to tell the club manager that he would never fly the slowpoke again and still would be billing the club. Fortunately the racing had been called and the few disaster shots I got for the club were well received at the club. Everyone loves a train wreck! 

    Too bad the Kobe One just couldn't sat here down and waited for better viz but blindly stumbled on into oblivion. RIP

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Fat Point Jack said:

He gave her an offer she couldn't refuse.

She refused to testify and later got $2.5 mil.

I heard the front door was consensual, the back door was rape.

Funny how nobody mention ‘father of the year’s’ many self admitted  ‘affairs’. This one also turned bad when she refused his request to ‘nut on her face’ as the kids say today. The things he admitted in testimony were pretty disturbing.  Strangulation fantasy, etc. 

Fucking mentally ill hotel chambermaids...he got off cheap. 

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Fat Point Jack said:

He gave her an offer she couldn't refuse.

She refused to testify and later got $2.5 mil.

I heard the front door was consensual, the back door was rape.

Funny how nobody mention ‘father of the year’s’ many self admitted  ‘affairs’. This one also turned bad when she refused his request to ‘nut on her face’ as the kids say today. The things he admitted in testimony were pretty disturbing.  Strangulation fantasy, etc. 

Fucking mentally ill hotel chambermaids...he got off cheap. 

 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kobe_Bryant_sexual_assault_case

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Cristoforo said:

Funny how nobody mention ‘father of the year’s’ many self admitted  ‘affairs’. This one also turned bad when she refused his request to ‘nut on her face’ as the kids say today. The things he admitted in testimony were pretty disturbing.  Strangulation fantasy, etc. 

Fucking mentally ill hotel chambermaids...he got off cheap. 

 

 

LOL...and he "bought" his wife a real expensive something...like a 25 mil diamond as I recall

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Raked Aft\\ said:

Here's a decent recap,  

 RIP all on board...

Good recap.....and a little sailboat in the background???

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Rasputin22 said:

Too bad the Kobe One just couldn't sat here down and waited for better viz but blindly stumbled on into oblivion. RIP

Or, they could have flown to Camarillo (KCMA) picked up a clearance for the RNAV Y 26 and picked up a Urber....  Or even Van Nuys for that matter.

1 hour ago, SloopJonB said:

Then hover and wait for clearance - anything is better than "controlled flight into terrain"

Helicopters have thei own flyways etc...  in that area the minimum MEA for IFR is 5000...  there was plenty of room.   But then again hovering is balancing act...  hovering in IFR.....  you better be practicing this a lot..   Yes, I have 20 hour of rotary wing time...

1 hour ago, Point Break said:

Interesting 5 minutes of radio traffic and radar display. That and the video above kinda sews it up.

They were flying Special VFR....  for phuck sakes!!!!  Sorry about the verbage,...  best I can come up with now.   Getting a hold in Southern CA is almost un-heard of and this should have had alarm bells going off in the pilots head.... 

Last time I got put in a hold it was going in the Carlsbad many moons ago...  one of those fast moving advection fog marine layers came in and they had four or five G-5 types and a couple commercial aircraft to contend with and my little 172 could wait...  fourth lap in the hold I was given a further release time of 20 after the hour... it was 10 to the hour...   I opted to head back to Long Beach and call it a day...  even then Long Beach was just at minimums....  my available fuel pucker factor was pretty high... 

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

kkobe.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 Kobe had a talent I'll never know and from my research was doing nothing but good things leading into his death.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, BravoBravo said:

LOL...and he "bought" his wife a real expensive something...like a 25 mil diamond as I recall

You are so full of shit.