Sign in to follow this  
Editor

junior thug life

junior-thug-life-1024x786.jpg
I’m not sure who started the trend in sailing of the crossed arms, sullen look as THE pose for glamour press shots, but it jumped the shark after the first such image.

Here we have yet another example, and for a youth match race in Australia at the Warren Jones Regatta. Balboa YC skipper Jeffery Peterson leading the way front and center, with team in tow. Jeffery’s mother Denise says this pose was required by the Organizing Authority.

I’m not sure which is worse, the organizing authority requiring this pose, or the sailors agreeing to it. It’s simply pathetic. For a sport that seeks attention, and money, from sponsors why on earth do so many events (looking at you Russell Coutts and SailGP for doing that same) think presenting sailors as angry, sullen people is going to gain a larger audience and resultant sponsorship income? About the only company that I can think would have an interest in sponsoring this look is a hemorrhoid cream, because anyone in this pose looks like they suffer from that malady.

At its best sailing is about freedom, independence and individual effort. With far too many events and teams looking like they just took a very painful crap, it’s no wonder media attention, and money, lag. It’s time for sailors to present themselves in a more positive manner.

Sailing is not the professional wrestling. Stop acting like we are and start presenting your event, yourself, and the sport with the joy that being on the water with friends brings. - Peter Huston.

• Like 5
  • Downvote 3

Similar warrior posing downunder. At least there's a smile or two on view83663529_2835388413192231_7800424271901097984_n.jpg.54db5ce2af3a0215c980d75fb9893b77.jpg84139620_2835388359858903_5566799269458870272_n.jpg.0a5b2845ba12f9a3dd710e339d59002f.jpg

I just want to understand, we can shit on kids for how they pose for photos but not for proclaiming they know how to save the planet at the cost of a country's GDP for little to no real world impact?

• Like 3

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Editor said:

I’m not sure who started the trend............

You, you fucktard, by celebrating all your own exploits in a similar vein.

Marketing people aren't that smart; otherwise they might do something original....... Instead they re-hash trends seen elsewhere for minimal effort - and hey presto you have the story of globilisation and all its generic "coolness" in a nutshell. Except none of it is cool, original or worth the cost....

1 hour ago, bodega87 said:

I just want to understand, we can shit on kids for how they pose for photos but not for proclaiming they know how to save the planet at the cost of a country's GDP for little to no real world impact?

Yeah, but that's different.

Is the SA senior center discriminating against the kids because they are sober and able to stand without assistance?    

Edit.  The second is supposed to be an old Whitbred crew, but I tried a reverse lookup.   Google decided it was a reflection of water lilies!!

Shamrock-Yacht.jpg

gettyimages-1915571-612x612.jpg

14 hours ago, Editor said:

presenting sailors as angry, sullen people 

Gosh Bruce should would be shocked if he visited a certain club down here. Particularly after they lost a protest. 

2 hours ago, LB 15 said:

Gosh Bruce should would be shocked if he visited a certain club down here. Particularly after they lost a protest. 

I thought they'd forbidden losing protests?

FKT

• Like 2

Life gets shorter, similar to a good vintage of wine. At this point of my life I am all about "Happy Hiking" with a proper podium presentation?

62198188_2380493885342077_735940524455755776_o.jpg

Peter H, we need to get yo out more.

That is not how thugs pose.

This aint your Balboa Yacht Club junior team. Go to LA, Scooter or Timbo can direct you to the right bar.

1380224815_Thugspose2.jpg.27c413b140169e95c551a9c6a1e231c2.jpg

• Like 1

Shit, I find myself agreeing with Peter Huston. I hate it when that happens.

• Like 1

I also hate this pose. It always ends up looking like a bunch of prep school kids trying to look tough in front of dad's land rover. (Anyone remember the Icy Hot Stuntaz from the early days of the internets?) More importantly, though, what's with the OA forcing the kids to pose like this (or any other pose for that matter)? Weird micromanagement and it's unfair to them if this isn't how they want to appear. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BlondeWithFreeBoat said:

I also hate this pose. It always ends up looking like a bunch of prep school kids trying to look tough in front of dad's land rover. (Anyone remember the Icy Hot Stuntaz from the early days of the internets?) More importantly, though, what's with the OA forcing the kids to pose like this (or any other pose for that matter)? Weird micromanagement and it's unfair to them if this isn't how they want to appear. 

That's because it IS a bunch of prep school kids.

• Like 1

The kids were probably influenced  by a sullen middle age suburban middle class white guy sailing website manager  who wears  wide brim caps and drives chopped cars.  Fo Shizzle   

AED4C88E-4ED1-4A29-8682-91606E1144D7.jpeg

TTpIGvo.jpg

• Like 1

Are we seriously having a thread to bash an 18 year old for trying to take a cool or trendy picture at an under-25 event? Thats pathetic.... great way to encourage the kid and his team especially as the event is ongoing. Willing to bet that Peter wouldn't stand a chance in a match race with Jeffrey.

How about an article about how a local California kid is representing his club at an international event....

• Like 3

Just about every musician on every album cover for the last 50 years has this look. It's probably too late to call it trendy.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Shu said:

Just about every musician on every album cover for the last 50 years has this look. It's probably too late to call it trendy.

so that makes it okay to post an article bashing a bunch of kids for posing the way the photographer told them to? I certainly hope I never have a stick so far up my ass that I need to write an article trashing a bunch of kids for taking a standard team photo and try to use them as an example to complain about some weird interpretation I have about the sport as a whole. 

7 minutes ago, EastCoastHustle said:

so that makes it okay to post an article bashing a bunch of kids for posing the way the photographer told them to? 

maybe they will learn not to listen to a fucking photographer

9 minutes ago, EastCoastHustle said:

so that makes it okay to post an article bashing a bunch of kids for posing the way the photographer told them to? I certainly hope I never have a stick so far up my ass that I need to write an article trashing a bunch of kids for taking a standard team photo and try to use them as an example to complain about some weird interpretation I have about the sport as a whole. 

Isn’t there a thread about what a cocknozzle this Peter Huston guy is everytime he published something?

maybe it’s about time the editorial board steps up! 

he is a total cocknozzle, there are threads but they are old as time like him!

• Like 1

Just to play devils advocate...  What would you like the photog to do?  He prob has multiple teams and needs some semblance of decorum.  IMHO, the shot on the back of the boat or over the boom would be much better, but don't bash the guy.  He is just doing his job.  As to the kids..  They are Junior sailors right??  So what 15- 18 or so..  What do you expect them to do.  Every single sports type picture(or any pro group shot for that matter) they have posed for has been the generic team shot.  Standing in a neat line with short guys in front etc.  etc.  So you expect these kids, that have been indoctrinated in sports photos since they were 5, to break out of the box and do something different even though the photog is setting it up??  WTF??  Yea, bash the org authority, but the kids??  

We better than that...  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MikeR80 said:

^ 40,000 posts for the clean man! cheers

goddamn that's a lot of procrastinating

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, shaggy said:

Just to play devils advocate??  What would you like the photog to do? 

if he or she is experienced he or she is not going to ask them to do something that was a cliché ten years ago.  Creativity is a photogs job.  I'd like him or her to step the fuck up.

53 minutes ago, shaggy said:

Just to play devils advocate...  What would you like the photog to do?  He prob has multiple teams and needs some semblance of decorum.  IMHO, the shot on the back of the boat or over the boom would be much better, but don't bash the guy.  He is just doing his job.  As to the kids..  They are Junior sailors right??  So what 15- 18 or so..  What do you expect them to do.  Every single sports type picture(or any pro group shot for that matter) they have posed for has been the generic team shot.  Standing in a neat line with short guys in front etc.  etc.  So you expect these kids, that have been indoctrinated in sports photos since they were 5, to break out of the box and do something different even though the photog is setting it up??  WTF??  Yea, bash the org authority, but the kids??  

We better than that...  

Totally agree. and at least wait till the event is over. Now you're probably in the head of this 18 year old who is trying to win in Australia.

1 hour ago, MR.CLEAN said:

They're kids... if you are at an event at 18 and a photographer tells you to do something for a photo while you are having a good time with your pals are you thinking "wow I might be putting a bad image on the sport in some cocknozzle's eyes" probably not. Huston has his panties in a bunch and is clearly writing articles just to get his name to pop up. The guy is a nobody.

35 minutes ago, EastCoastHustle said:

They're kids... if you are at an event at 18 and a photographer tells you to do something for a photo while you are having a good time with your pals are you thinking "wow I might be putting a bad image on the sport in some cocknozzle's eyes" probably not. Huston has his panties in a bunch and is clearly writing articles just to get his name to pop up. The guy is a nobody.

never too young to learn how to deal with the public.  media training first requirement for 18 year olds entering division 1 sports.  why do you want to shelter them?  Are they fucking daisies?

• Downvote 1

32 minutes ago, MR.CLEAN said:

never too young to learn how to deal with the public.  media training first requirement for 18 year olds entering division 1 sports.  why do you want to shelter them?  Are they fucking daisies?

Why do you bash them? Are you a fucking prick?

• Like 1

Huston says it’s hurting the sport. You know what else hurts the sport? Bashing on up and coming talent in the next generation for doing something totally normal.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, EastCoastHustle said:

Why do you bash them? Are you a fucking prick?

of course i am

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MR.CLEAN said:

maybe the posed 10 other ways and then finally humoured the photographer....but guess who gets to choose the photo used...probably not the kids

4 hours ago, EastCoastHustle said:

Huston has his panties in a bunch 

c49144fff30402292c73288947968186.jpg

2 hours ago, MR.CLEAN said:

of course i am

Don't be so hard on yourself mate.

3 hours ago, Controversial_posts said:

Old man with sailing website complaining about how young people pose for pictures... probably hates their music too.

I don't think the old man with the website wrote the piece.  an even older man wrote it.

I mean at least it’s more visible than when tornado “just spin the camera around non stop” Clean was a journo? 

You’d think that if you were gonna sling shit, you yourself would be mildly squared away. The sailing community is full of absolute tools. 

4 minutes ago, bodega87 said:

Clean was a journo? 

Nope!

17 hours ago, MR.CLEAN said:

It's pretty interesting around here.  Bashing the shit out of a 16 yr old autistic girl stepping out to bring awareness to environmental issues seems to be more accepted than beating up a group of guys posing for a copy cat "thug life" photo for sailing... Ohh they're just kids for God's sake!  Welcome to "putting yourself out there" boys.

• Downvote 1

21 minutes ago, RobbieB said:

It's pretty interesting around here.  Bashing the shit out of a 16 yr old autistic girl stepping out to bring awareness to environmental issues seems to be more accepted than beating up a group of guys posing for a copy cat "thug life" photo for sailing... Ohh they're just kids for God's sake!  Welcome to "putting yourself out there" boys.

if she's old enough to talk about global warming to world leaders, she is apparently old enough to be insulted, demeaned, and degraded.  Those sailing kids aren't trying to help the environment, are they?  All bets are off then.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MR.CLEAN said:

if she's old enough to talk about global warming to world leaders, she is apparently old enough to be insulted, demeaned, and degraded.  Those sailing kids aren't trying to help the environment, are they?  All bets are off then.

Thats a pretty fucked attitude. Praying for anyone that you might have raised

• Like 2
  • Downvote 1

28 minutes ago, EastCoastHustle said:

Clean and Ed are two peas in one retarded pod. A couple of never was turds that got picked on in school and think keyboard warrior-ing to a generally soft community is a way to feel macho. 

don’t take either one too seriously. 

• Downvote 1

On 1/29/2020 at 11:45 AM, Rasputin22 said:

I Got A Crew Attitude

image.thumb.png.ec3f2f7ff645777d6c7e9abf9c06c550.png

#lifegoals

8 hours ago, EastCoastHustle said:

sorry, shoulda been purple font

Seems to me that since Clean left SA, the front page has become the online outlet for old sailors with nothing to say.

1 hour ago, IPLore said:

Seems to me that since Clean left SA, the front page has become the online outlet for old sailors with nothing to say.

But what is front page?

1 hour ago, IPLore said:

You tipe thet licke ist a badde thinge.                                        :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fastyacht said:

But what is front page?

1089825830_SAARP-Join.thumb.jpg.ea9610063fcca15b280c32e7d030d800.jpg

1 hour ago, Snaggletooth said:

You tipe thet licke ist a badde thinge.                                        :)

Aye thort thet was wot fourerms was fore.   :(

My kids always have pissed my wife off by straight-facing in photos. Guaranteed at least needing 2-3X the pictures

On 1/28/2020 at 8:01 PM, Editor said:

junior-thug-life-1024x786.jpg
I’m not sure who started the trend in sailing of the crossed arms, sullen look as THE pose for glamour press shots, but it jumped the shark after the first such image.

Don't know about sailing crew pics but the first time I saw it was long ago in pro drag racing.

Look at any pictures of top fuel, funny car, pro stock etc and they ALL pose like that and have done for about 3 decades.

Supposed to look intimidating I presume.

On 1/29/2020 at 8:45 AM, Rasputin22 said:

image.thumb.png.ec3f2f7ff645777d6c7e9abf9c06c550.png

A trophy harem.

That shows a lot of class but must be freakin' expensive. :ph34r:

Hey, Scotter.  Time for Raz to be flicked for violating rule #1: no pedophilia