Sign in to follow this  
Old Yeller

Vintage racing videos

Snipe history 
Not racing but cool interview with snipe builder

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Old Yeller said:

Woah woah woah...wtf is going on here...since when did classic 18s have weird measurement rules?

image.thumb.png.6959eb4b51c5148844bc05df3e5b1d93.png

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Wavedancer II said:

Interesting; sailors hanging on for dear life in the Stars

Looks like they were sailing them like that in ‘61 as well

This one is pretty cool. 8mm home movies starting in 1936. Narrated by the son of the man that shot the footage.

On 2/7/2020 at 12:52 PM, Old Yeller said:

Firefly ‘58

A young Egon Spengler in the background before switching his major to Parapsychology?

- Stumbling 

• Like 1

BBC video sailing in the 1960’s. Cool footage of dinghies. Some keel boat stuff also.

• Like 1

Not dinghies, but it’s too funny not to post.

On 2/2/2020 at 4:46 AM, onepointfivethumbs said:

Gotta love this. An international regatta and all the sailing specific gear. Jeans and t shirts and no PFD's.  It's how we sailed in the 60's and 70's.  Couldn't imagine doing that now.

Benn looking for this one for a while, finally found it again.  Enjoy

On 6/12/2020 at 11:04 PM, Old Yeller said:

Not dinghies, but it’s too funny not to post.

They are sailing on a wherry yacht some of these  are still available for hire,   https://www.wherryyachtcharter.org/index.php

It's likely off screen there would have been a boat yard man actually in charge of sailing the wherry.. 

During the video there is a clip of a white building,  that's The Original Horning Ferry pub,  at 21:45 26th April 1941 it was bombed by the Germans,  ( they claimed to have hit a shipyard 5 miles away) only 3 of the 24 people inside survived,  including the landlord . He was serving beer again from the ruins within a week.  Sadly that repaired building burnt down in 1965. But there is a replacement building on that site. 

Of the other boats on Wroxham Broad I will have sailed against some of them over the years, most of the River cruiser class are still racing some over 100years old.. It's an expanding class with over 400 boats now.. 

I thought this was going to be vintage racing..  How about my clubs 1908 regatta.. 

http://www.eafa.org.uk/catalogue/57

The start line is run from left of the first shot on the corner,  today it's run  right of shot with the outer mark being on the original starters position. 

There are boats in the film still competing at the club,  along with children / grand children / great grand children of the competitors. 

Virus permitting our next regatta week starts 1st of August 2020 here.. https://www.horning-sailing.club/

There's a video on the home page of HSC from a drone taken from above the same point as the 1908 film.

• Like 1

Note that none of the sails pre-1962 had telltales.

Skippers intently stared at the tabling at the very luff of the jib. When it went 'soft', head down a degree or, on a free leg, jib in a bit. Still indicates before the telltale ribbon reacts.

Telltales were the biggest help to indicate a stall. Sail still looks good. That leeward ribbon flowing forward helped to know. Back in the day it was the practice to always be 'testing' by heading up or easing the jib.

On dinghies old timers sometimes have an advantage in a rain or heavy fog when those telltales stick to the sail!    Dave Ellis, Old Timer

• Like 1

16 hours ago, The Q said:

They are sailing on a wherry yacht some of these  are still available for hire,   https://www.wherryyachtcharter.org/index.php

It's likely off screen there would have been a boat yard man actually in charge of sailing the wherry.. 

During the video there is a clip of a white building,  that's The Original Horning Ferry pub,  at 21:45 26th April 1941 it was bombed by the Germans,  ( they claimed to have hit a shipyard 5 miles away) only 3 of the 24 people inside survived,  including the landlord . He was serving beer again from the ruins within a week.  Sadly that repaired building burnt down in 1965. But there is a replacement building on that site. 

Of the other boats on Wroxham Broad I will have sailed against some of them over the years, most of the River cruiser class are still racing some over 100years old.. It's an expanding class with over 400 boats now.. 

I thought this was going to be vintage racing..  How about my clubs 1908 regatta.. 

http://www.eafa.org.uk/catalogue/57

The start line is run from left of the first shot on the corner,  today it's run  right of shot with the outer mark being on the original starters position. 

There are boats in the film still competing at the club,  along with children / grand children / great grand children of the competitors. 

Virus permitting our next regatta week starts 1st of August 2020 here.. https://www.horning-sailing.club/

There's a video on the home page of HSC from a drone taken from above the same point as the 1908 film.

The 1908 regatta was great. Not much breeze for that one. I loved the awards ceremony. Classy attire.

1965 Thistle Nationals. I think I posted  this in another thread. If so, oh well... another look won’t hurt.

6 hours ago, Old Yeller said:

The 1908 regatta was great. Not much breeze for that one. I loved the awards ceremony. Classy attire.

We definitely don't dress like that today,  and even our annual prize giving isn't that dressed up though I'm normally fully kilted up for it..  Here's the club about 4 years ago. 

Heres a film of the club in the 1960s, before the new club house was assembled in 1963, temporary portacabins still. In use!!!  That's on the treed area behind the multiple boats sailing near the start of the film. The big building shown is the Swan Inn,  owners of  the land the sailing club sits on which is to the left of the pub. .  One of the founders of the club Was The brewery owner. 

Three girls in a boat 1960s style,  at the same place.. 

2 hours ago, LFL said:

I love it! No spandex!

2 hours ago, Old Yeller said:

I love it! No spandex!

No life jackets either,   but But, BUT,  they'll  drown... 

• Like 2