Sign in to follow this  
Moore Play

"Sack Lunch" needs a home

I really respect what the ed has provided with this space for so many, and I also understand the purpose of "Buy an ad!!!!", but this is not for me.  My good buddy passed away and the selling of his Express 27 has surprisingly not happened. It is here in the Islands, not pristine, but well cared for, and everything is sound. Recent mooring increases in the state harbors, is killing off what is already a weak market for selling anything nautical here. I hope it doesn't leave the Islands because she matches our conditions soooo  well and there are so few of that type of boat here...... Fun Ones!!!!  I don't want to sabotage the broker, (that discussion is somewhere else on these pages). But it has been almost half a year with no serious offers! I had heard it was sold about a month after it went up for sale but, I heard wrong. She is still for sale. I don't want to get involved in the actual "sale" of the boat, it's too personal, but I'll provide what general information I know, or can find out, if you're a sailor who is genuinely interested. I would like to see a win - win a sweet boat finds a home, is enjoyed by a sailor,  but most importantly, do what I can for a friend. Someone is going to get a great deal !! 

2 minutes ago, Slowboat said:

Maybe add a location.

He cane do thet in add he buyes ............                          :)

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Slowboat said:

Maybe add a location.

'Location: Hawaii' ' in his profile might give it away. Together with  'Here  in the Islands'  

• Like 3

Pix or it'll never sell.

At a certain point, donation may be the best way out for all.

Keep lowering the price and it will go.  Years waiting to sell something leaves the seller hostage to stuff.  Move it on and enjoy the memories and photos of the good times that were had.

2 hours ago, Windward said:

At a certain point, donation may be the best way out for all.

Keep lowering the price and it will go.  Years waiting to sell something leaves the seller hostage to stuff.  Move it on and enjoy the memories and photos of the good times that were had.

This.

If it hasn't sold then it is overpriced - regardless of what might be considered a "fair" price.

Yeah I know Pics are required for any real interest, thought I had some, but the file was deleted in a partial computer wipe and I just might buy an ad, I have thought seriously about it, because no one in the family knows how to sell a boat. Like I mentioned I thought it was sold, I only found out it wasn't two days ago. My friend used to get unsolicited offers more than occasionally. It was a spur of the moment post to thow it out to the community. A sincere thanks to you for not jumping all over my case for pushing the code.

Hull is Ice Blue, deck, a light - medium grey with white picture framing, interior clean, Ala Wai F-dock near the end.

3 hours ago, Moore Play said:

Hull is Ice Blue, deck, a light - medium grey with white picture framing, interior clean, Ala Wai F-dock near the end.

Yes, we thack you.  Buye a add an we alle cane supportte you effortte.                  :)

3 hours ago, Moore Play said:

Yeah I know Pics are required for any real interest, thought I had some, but the file was deleted in a partial computer wipe and I just might buy an ad, I have thought seriously about it, because no one in the family knows how to sell a boat. Like I mentioned I thought it was sold, I only found out it wasn't two days ago. My friend used to get unsolicited offers more than occasionally. It was a spur of the moment post to thow it out to the community. A sincere thanks to you for not jumping all over my case for pushing the code.

You’re not really good at this are you?

ask Brutus to recommend a broker for you. 

9 hours ago, LionessRacing said:

There are sufficient hints for any interested party... 

Because  we all love to go on a multi click adventure just to see if we may be even the least bit interested? Call me lazy but, good luck!

1 minute ago, Willin' said:

Because  we all love to go on a multi click adventure just to see if we may be even the least bit interested? Call me lazy but, good luck!

I suspect you could PM the OP and get the 411

Just now, LionessRacing said:
2 minutes ago, Willin' said:

I suspect you could PM the OP and get the 411

Why woude he do thet?  Why?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Snaggletooth said:

we may be even the least bit interested?  was the operative comment, 

The choice to Message should fulfill as close to minimal clicks to enable the lazy that was mentioned

1 minute ago, LionessRacing said:
4 minutes ago, Snaggletooth said:

we may be even the least bit interested?  was the operative statement, 

The choice to Message should fulfill as close to minimal clicks to enable the lazy that was mentioned

OK, Ille buye thet.  I thicke the unifide messiage shoude be "buye a fuckeng add", then we alle cane supportte the efforttr.                   :)

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, atyourcervix said:

He should donate it to the iroquois catamaran couple provided they sail it to the states.

I hade a Cherokee coupelle in minde, ist that OK?

1 hour ago, Snaggletooth said:

OK, Ille buye thet.  I thicke the unifide messiage shoude be "buye a fuckeng add", then we alle cane supportte the efforttr.                   :)

and something about his girlfriend's tits and fucking off. fuck me this is turning into sailing nicey nice.

Just now, basketcase said:

fuck me this is turning into sailing nicey nice.

Shutte youre mouthe......                            :)

45 minutes ago, Snaggletooth said:

I hade a Cherokee coupelle in minde, ist that OK?

snaggs, allow me to introduce you to........

enjoy

Sack Lunch? Hmmm. I know that boat. Previously owned by Greg Gillette who raced the boat in Kona (when there was actual racing).  It would be great to get that boat back over here.  Please let me know.

3 minutes ago, basketcase said:

snaggs, allow me to introduce you to........

enjoy

Theire wase notheng nagatieve abote my Cherokee coupelle, so I gesse we our goode?                    :)

9 minutes ago, Snaggletooth said:

Theire wase notheng nagatieve abote my Cherokee coupelle, so I gesse we our goode?                    :)

always. just wanted to introduce you to the bit of fun that mr. cervix  was talking about...... the Iroquois catamoron couple.

1 minute ago, basketcase said:
14 minutes ago, Snaggletooth said:

always. just wanted to introduce you to the bit of fun that mr. cervix  was talking about...... the Iroquois catamoron couple.

Inittialley tooke it the wrongue waye, we our goode.  Thack you.                        :)

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, stink eye said:

Sack Lunch? Hmmm. I know that boat. Previously owned by Greg Gillette who raced the boat in Kona (when there was actual racing).  It would be great to get that boat back over here.  Please let me know.

Forget it! They won't tell you nothing! If you don't work to find out about this boat, you don't deserve it, apparently. Start digging or go home.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Snaggletooth said:

Inittialley tooke it the wrongue waye, we our goode.  Thack you.                        :)

s'okay.  you're not the first person to take a sack the wrong way.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Snaggletooth said:

he needs to call craig 

https://losangeles.craigslist.org/wst/bod/d/escondido-sell-your-sailboat-yacht/7056615560.html

3 hours ago, stink eye said:

One and the same. Was dry sailed out of the "Kona Sailing Club" for years by Gillette and the next owner, who did not sail her much AFAIK. I flew over to Kona to help prep her to ship to Oahu, I did my best to convince my friend to sail her back to Oahu but at that time the standing rigging was of unknown vintage and the sails were bags and bags of rags, but the surveyor was blown away by the quality of the glasswork (vinylester).  It was already on the trailer so shipping on the barge was prudent. Upon arrival in Honolulu, New standing rigging, wire & rod, new running rigging & gear (as needed) new two speed Harken primaries, (now an older generation) and new circa mid-aughts North Inventory. Dacron Main & 2 or 3 jibs within a year or two. Trailer is long gone. sails are OK, but now more delivery quality than race, spin gear present but in need of an upgrade. Of course new epoxy barrier and anti-foul was done before she splashed & bottom done every 1 1/2 - 2 years since, not sure if petite or Interlux but ablative. I apologise for the run-on.

Was on craig's list for a few weeks, but I believe the broker contracted to sell her, convinced the wife/family to take it off

6 hours ago, Cristoforo said:

You’re not really good at this are you?

ask Brutus to recommend a broker for you. 

No,  I'm not good at this, but I'll take the bait, for humors sake. Whose Brutus? You?..... Or Popeye? After all Mickey divorced Minney because she was f#@!&ng Goofey!

The class website has a free for sale listing service.  Most E27s sell either via word of mouth or through the class site.  Fire the broker and post it there.  Given the boat's geographic undesirability to the fleets in the Bay, Hood River, and Detroit, it will likely need to be discounted very heavily to sell it to the mainland, but presumably all of your island-based potential purchasers are aware of it and have passed on it at its current price. 

http://express27.org/

Anyone who thinks price is the impediment doesn't know our harbor situation. The problem isn't the lack of buyers; the problem is the lack of places to put the boat once you've bought it.  Unless you're willing to somehow work the system, such as an illegal sublease, you're unlikely to get into one of state harbors for years. In the meanwhile, you'll find boats sitting in slips that haven't moved, also in years, and covered with tarps and potted plants. You'll also find empty slips and moorings that have needed repair for years.  The only state surrounded by water has a miserable marina-mooring situation.  What about a slip at Kaneohoe, Waikiki or Hawaii Yacht Club?  Years.  What about dry storage?  On this island, WYC has the only hoist on the South Side, but the yard is full of canoes and kayaks.  I can't speak about the dry storage situation at KYC, where the Express would be perfect. You could get in at Ko Olina, but you'd pretty much be one the back side of the moon.  Kona would work if they had space at the yard, but getting it there would be... not much fun, to say the least. Lahaina? Come take a look: they smash three boats into spaces hardly big enough for one in order to make room for the commercial tour boats. It's a hard knock life out here.

We were fortunate to donate our boat to a wounded warrior type organization called US Patriot's Sailing.  They're using the boat for five years, so we got the full valuation and they got a GREAT boat.

• Like 1

Hawaiidart, you pretty much said it all.  Yep, with all the potential imaginable, its hard to believe our beloved State has continued to screw up the entire boating world.  Having said that, the fishing crowd in Kona has a pretty good situation with the ramps.  Years back, we actually had a pretty decent racing fleet. We were consistently getting 20+ boats on the line. But that's all pau now.  You accurately described the Oahu situation.  Kaneohe would definitely be the best bet contingent on getting a dry sailing spot.  In a previous post, I mentioned to the current custodian to contact me as we could seriously consider bringing Sack back to Kona.  I know the drill.  I brought my SC 27 and later Henderson 30 back and forth countless times.  The Best.

15 minutes ago, kent_island_sailor said:

What happened to the moorings out past the airport? When I flew out of HNL I flew over what looked like a whole fleet out there.

Yep- there are some unused moorings out there.   Broken, unsafe, in a minefield of derelict half and fully sunken boats, surrounded by homeless encampments on and off the water, druggies, thieves, blasted by jet engines 20 hours a day, downwind from a cement factor; you get to go back and forth with no place to put your dinghy other than some cock-a-roached spot with an unsavory Lagoon-atic sizing up your outboard...paradise.

1 minute ago, Hawaiidart said:

Yep- they're some unused moorings out there.   Broken, unsafe, in a minefield of derelict half and fully sunken boats, surrounded by homeless encampments on and off the water, druggies, thieves, blasted by jet engines 20 hours a day, downwind from a cement factory....paradise.

I always wondered about that, I was kind of busy paying attention to flying to study them closely, but they did look a bit zombie-ish even back then. My 600 HP of noise every night probably didn't improve the place either.

I didn't know Sack Luch was up for sale - I had noted that we hadn't seen her out of late,  I must have missed the ad - will pass it along to some interested parties,  if you can forward the contact info.

These are really good boats, it's a shame to see it not in use,  but yeah - away from the strong fleets on the mainland,  it's just another boat many sailors won't really appreciate if they haven't had one on a full plane. 

Go to express27.org..you can list it for free..  you can sell it fairly fast as the fleet is very active on the sf bay..great boat.. i had one ..fast and fun

What hull number is this boat? Do you have pictures that can be seen? Also do you have a list of inventory? Best of luck..

Edited by One eye Jack
Add on

14 hours ago, Moore Play said:

One and the same. Was dry sailed out of the "Kona Sailing Club" for years by Gillette and the next owner, who did not sail her much AFAIK. I flew over to Kona to help prep her to ship to Oahu, I did my best to convince my friend to sail her back to Oahu but at that time the standing rigging was of unknown vintage and the sails were bags and bags of rags, but the surveyor was blown away by the quality of the glasswork (vinylester).  It was already on the trailer so shipping on the barge was prudent. Upon arrival in Honolulu, New standing rigging, wire & rod, new running rigging & gear (as needed) new two speed Harken primaries, (now an older generation) and new circa mid-aughts North Inventory. Dacron Main & 2 or 3 jibs within a year or two. Trailer is long gone. sails are OK, but now more delivery quality than race, spin gear present but in need of an upgrade. Of course new epoxy barrier and anti-foul was done before she splashed & bottom done every 1 1/2 - 2 years since, not sure if petite or Interlux but ablative. I apologise for the run-on.

Was on craig's list for a few weeks, but I believe the broker contracted to sell her, convinced the wife/family to take it off

The buyer can barge it back to the mainland..the price isnt to bad if it has a trailer..or a cradle would need to be made..

2 hours ago, One eye Jack said:

The buyer can barge it back to the mainland..the price isnt to bad if it has a trailer..or a cradle would need to be made..

It doesn't need a barge. Matson R/0 R/0 container ships sail between the West Coast and Hawaii several times a week.  However, now you're adding $5000-$10,000 to the price and maybe more if you need a trailer. A cradle would work, but then you're paying crane time and, as you can't sail into HH or most harbors post 9-11, trucking fees. Also, where would you find a cradle here? There aren't empty ones sitting around and you can't swap with someone shipping this direction because no one's doing that.  You could have one made, for what? Another five or ten grand,  maybe less if  you happen to know a guy?

Someone could pick up a quality vessel on the coast for a bit more and still come out ahead. There's a reason why boats come to Hawaii to die.  And why Keehi Lagoon is  the hospice facility, albeit largely devoid of compassionate oncology nurses providing palliative care. Mostly, boats here die broken, sad, and alone.That being said, if a party wanted to keep the Express on this side,  I'd suggest checking out La Mariana (maybe contact Great Red Shark).  I have no idea about availability but it's got a pleasant, quaint funkiness to it, the Wednesday night beer cans are populated by folks who believe that sailing should actually be fun, and the tenets seem to watch out for each other and keep the wolves at bay. An old school hot-rod like the Express could be fun there in flat water and breeze, without being too gnarly for the casual racer.  

This thread, however, isn't about where the current owners should put it; it's about them getting it sold. I wish the sellers the best of luck.  Hopefully, the Express will tick someone's boxes and a nice boat will have an extended life expectancy in the islands.  

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, kent_island_sailor said:

Can they not sail to California? Not enough room for stores and gas???

I assuming you're not being serious.  If you are, on your next flight please raise the window shade and look down at the ocean (which took you five hours at 350 knots to cross). You'll see a lot of white moving from NW to SE.  California to here on an Express, SC 27, Moore 24, etc. has been done, double and single handed.  Here to there...not many would try it and most who come here, say on Single Handed Transpac, ship home.  I think the average person would get about a day or so out of Kauai and do a quick 180 downwind, add another derelict boat to the pile and head to the airport. What heck, one big pile is better than two little piles, right? There are only so many Ronnie Simpsons and Webb Childs in the world.

• Like 2

Thanks for the tidbit on the class site OEJ, and a great summary of what boaters are facing here by Hawaiidart. I really do need to get some pix out, and I can come up with all the other info. Heck if anyone is on Oahu I can meet you and open the boat up. I realize now that I shouldn't have started this thread without pictures. Just so some of you realize how bad the harbor situation is right now, there are more than a few (decent) boats being given away for free! But they are not well cared for Express 27's.  

15 hours ago, Hawaiidart said:

I assuming you're not being serious.  If you are, on your next flight please raise the window shade and look down at the ocean (which took you five hours at 350 knots to cross). You'll see a lot of white moving from NW to SE.  California to here on an Express, SC 27, Moore 24, etc. has been done, double and single handed.  Here to there...not many would try it and most who come here, say on Single Handed Transpac, ship home.  I think the average person would get about a day or so out of Kauai and do a quick 180 downwind, add another derelict boat to the pile and head to the airport. What heck, one big pile is better than two little piles, right? There are only so many Ronnie Simpsons and Webb Childs in the world.

I am not that familiar with sailing too and from Hawaii, I really didn't know it was a 1-way trip.

Weren't aware the Hawaiian islands are the most remote group of islands on the planet or that the 3 major races that come here from the mainland are all down-winders?   

1 hour ago, Great Red Shark said:

Weren't aware the Hawaiian islands are the most remote group of islands on the planet or that the 3 major races that come here from the mainland are all down-winders?   

Well I worked out there for about half a year flying, so I was fairly aware of their location. I did not realize the weather was such that the race boats could NOT sail home, I though a lot of them got shipped for time reasons. I know of a boat my size that sailed back from Hawaii and they had some issues with it taking a very long time, so I was figuring maybe the smaller boats just couldn't realistically carry the stores for such a trip. I never did really get to sail any, sailing seemed minimal. For an east-coaster a one way trip is a bit of an odd concept.

Larger boats, like the sleds, have the fuel and water capacity  to power through the Pacific High and make a rhumb line course, more or less, to the West Coast.  Smaller boats (say under 40')  have to bash to weather for several days in order to get to a latitude somewhere the same as Oregon and then bear off to SF or LA.  A 3500 mile trip is now a 5000 mile trip. Or more. In the winter, you might experience gales coming out of the Gulf of Alaska.  In the summer, you might experience gales from the North or the remnants of a cyclonic system coming out of Mexico in the South. A 27' could take three weeks, increasing your likelihood of getting pasted.   Factoring in fuel and water, (you're right; where to put them would be an issue), a month's supply of MREs and canned food, a rented life raft, EPIRB, Sat Phone, offshore foul weather gear, auto-pilot, solar to charge the auto-pilot, a storm sail or main with a third reef, you're spending what it would cost to ship the boat,  which would take five days on a container ship while you sit in business class watching a movie and quaffing drinks.  You might already have the gear.  If you're coming here to buy a used Express 27, you probably don't. You might know someone from whom you can borrow the gear.  If you're coming here to buy a used Express 27 you probably don't.

Yes, a few small boats have done it. Anyone who wants to try should sign up to deliver a boat to Lahaina for the downwind return race to Oahu.  Eight-twelve hours of bashing to weather in trade wind conditions will help you decide whether you're man or woman enough to give it a go. Halfway there, think about would it would be like for 4-5 more days and nights in the same conditions.  Oh, and when you do bear off, you're now in the N-S shipping lanes, closing in on the coast in dense fog, big breeze, and breaking, refactoring waves bouncing off Cape Mendicino.  If you do make it, think about what you've done to your boat, sails, running rigging, standing rigging, sanity...

Put the boat on Matson or Pasha.  Put yourself on the plane.  Both of you will like it a whole lot better!

• Like 1

When no less than Skip Allen was compelled to step off Wild Flower you have to know it's not always a safe with easily-managed challenges.

13 hours ago, Hawaiidart said:

Larger boats, like the sleds, have the fuel and water capacity  to power through the Pacific High and make a rhumb line course, more or less, to the West Coast.  Smaller boats (say under 40')  have to bash to weather for several days in order to get to a latitude somewhere the same as Oregon and then bear off to SF or LA.  A 3500 mile trip is now a 5000 mile trip. Or more. In the winter, you might experience gales coming out of the Gulf of Alaska.  In the summer, you might experience gales from the North or the remnants of a cyclonic system coming out of Mexico in the South. A 27' could take three weeks, increasing your likelihood of getting pasted.   Factoring in fuel and water, (you're right; where to put them would be an issue), a month's supply of MREs and canned food, a rented life raft, EPIRB, Sat Phone, offshore foul weather gear, auto-pilot, solar to charge the auto-pilot, a storm sail or main with a third reef, you're spending what it would cost to ship the boat,  which would take five days on a container ship while you sit in business class watching a movie and quaffing drinks.  You might already have the gear.  If you're coming here to buy a used Express 27, you probably don't. You might know someone from whom you can borrow the gear.  If you're coming here to buy a used Express 27 you probably don't.

Yes, a few small boats have done it. Anyone who wants to try should sign up to deliver a boat to Lahaina for the downwind return race to Oahu.  Eight-twelve hours of bashing to weather in trade wind conditions will help you decide whether you're man or woman enough to give it a go. Halfway there, think about would it would be like for 4-5 more days and nights in the same conditions.  Oh, and when you do bear off, you're now in the N-S shipping lanes, closing in on the coast in dense fog, big breeze, and breaking, refactoring waves bouncing off Cape Mendicino.  If you do make it, think about what you've done to your boat, sails, running rigging, standing rigging, sanity...

Put the boat on Matson or Pasha.  Put yourself on the plane.  Both of you will like it a whole lot better!

Good explanation.