Roleur

Three J/99's to be in the PNW by summer!

Pretty excited to see 3 J/99's headed to the Salish Sea.  One will be splashed soon and two more are on order for spring delivery.  Interestingly, two of them will have water ballast, which it turns out are the first two WB boats ordered since the prototype.  

We should see a rating for the first boat in next few weeks.  I'm told to expect a 78.  That's a PNW rating which is intentional slower than most regions (10% applied to all boats over 0 PHRF several years ago).  For reference a OD J/105 rates 93, a J/88 is 87, a J/109 is 66, and a SunFast 3600 is 57.  

So are you downsizing??  

Tried to PM you about some 120 stuff but couldn't get it to go through.

3 minutes ago, T sailor said:

So are you downsizing??  

Tried to PM you about some 120 stuff but couldn't get it to go through.

We may be downsizing, but not to a J/99...

I cleared out my Inbox some.  Should be room now.

Looked at the J99 at the Seattle Boat Show last week. I like it. It had a very comfortable cockpit and deck layout. The dealer was telling me that it is stiffer than my J35. I would like to sail it sometime to see.

6 minutes ago, Great White said:

Looked at the J99 at the Seattle Boat Show last week. I like it. It had a very comfortable cockpit and deck layout. The dealer was telling me that it is stiffer than my J35. I would like to sail it sometime to see.

I raced on one in Texas last fall and thought it was very stiff.

What would sail-away price be with race-level sails and electronics?

3 hours ago, Skid51 said:

What would sail-away price be with race-level sails and electronics?

A friend went thru the price list and came up with about $250 K.

6 hours ago, Great White said:

A friend went thru the price list and came up with about $250 K.

Save ~$115k and have much more fun.

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/2018/shipman-l30-one-design-3497226/

"The L30 by Shipman is a new One Design Class that started in Europe and is now available here in the US. The L30 has been selected for the 2020 World Sailing's Doublehanded Offshore Championships. The boat can be easily raced in a single/double handed races or crewed up for PHRF/ORC/IRC fleet racing or used by clubs as a great training platform for new sailors."

Those really took off here in the US...plus it's kinda butt ugly IMHO...:rolleyes:

2 hours ago, Crash said:

Those really took off here in the US...plus it's kinda butt ugly IMHO...:rolleyes:

'nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence (and/or taste) of the American people'

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Crash said:

...plus it's kinda butt ugly IMHO...:rolleyes:

I agree.

1 hour ago, marcus brutus said:

'nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence (and/or taste) of the American people'

3 hours ago, Crash said:

Umm, I think Crash was being sarcastic.    I know, very unusual in SA.

Anyways,  The bizarre dual wheels and lack of cockpit settees make this unnecessarily narrow-focussed and likely doomed in the market.   Looks a Mattel Hot Wheels version of a TP52.    Too bad, since a)  trailerability (retractable keel and beam) , b)  satisfactory headroom + some comforts below, and c) price, are otherwise a rare package.     As a package still falls well short of an Andrews 28 or slightly more minimal, Seascape/First 27.  

"The boat can be easily raced in a single/double handed races"

Whoever thinks that L30 is set up well for racing singlehanded hasn't raced much singlehanded.

And I agree, it's butt ugly.

Returning to thread topic, given comments around the apparent stiffness of the J/99 it'll be interesting to see if Salish Sea (i.e. largely light air) boats see turbocharging (OEM or aftermarket) of any kind.   Kinda like the SF3300 reportedly getting longer prod and/or mast for the NAM market.  

Any of them planning on racing in the inaugural Point Roberts Race Week?

47 minutes ago, Varan said:

Any of them planning on racing in the inaugural Point Roberts Race Week?

My expectation is no, but I could be wrong.  Buoy racing isn't really in the design brief of this boat.  Also, one of the boats will live in the Olympia area, so a long haul.  You will definitely seem them in the local distance races though.

I think there is a 99 signed up for PRRW.  I am excited one is coming to the Olympia area.  Hopefully they race locally.  We have a competitive sprit class. 

I walked through the boat at the show.  Looks nice.  The water ballast puts the water and holding tank in plain sight making the boat feel more racy than cruiser.  The v berth was too small to sleep comfortably, really the boat only sleeps four with separate bunks.   I like to snuggle with the wife in our v-berth.  I am very happy with what we have. 

Also the sprit looks long, 4 and half feet?   I would not be up for paying the extra montage. Is a retractable sprit an option. 

10 hours ago, Rainy Day Sailor said:

The v berth was too small to sleep comfortably, really the boat only sleeps four with separate bunks.

This 27-33 foot racer/weekender category (that I'm interested in) seems to be hit n miss for my 6'3" in sitting headroom and sleeping comfort.   On the 99,  RDS having done the walk-through, how do you think the two aft cabins set up for spooning? 

Since the design sacrificed the v-berth as sleeping quarters, maybe they should have made the aft cabins slightly assymetrically sized.  

Interesting, One Life, the J/99 that is already here, is registered for PRRW.  That will be good to watch.

I would say the sprit is actually a bit short.  Most other J Boats in that range have 6-7' sprits.  The fact this one is not retractable is the reason for it being shorter, but no, a retractable sprit isn't an option. Realistically, if you were in the market for a new $250k+ plus boat, you would care about paying a few hundred dollars per year in extra moorage?  That's a weird way to mind your pennies.  If money was the object you wouldn't buy a boat at all, and you certainly wouldn't buy a new boat.  

Regarding berths, keep in mind water ballast is an option, and so far only 2 out of the first 49 have been ordered with water ballast.  If space in the berths is a priority, just get the boat without water ballast, like most owners have done.  

12 hours ago, Rainy Day Sailor said:

Also the sprit looks long, 4 and half feet?   I would not be up for paying the extra montage. Is a retractable sprit an option. 

Like all things, the type of sprit and length of sprit is a compromise.  A retractable sprit is harder to seal (ie water gets inside), is heavier, add maintenance cost and requirement, and add upfront to cost of boat.  A fixed sprit is less likely to leak, lighter, easier/cheaper to maintain, and makes the boat cheaper.  Slip fee is likely higher, but that depends on how your marina prices slips.

I suspect that in the end, from a cost perspective, its largely a wash.

I guess sprit length is moderate also to be more ORC/IRC friendly (mainly for european market)

On 2/6/2020 at 10:40 AM, Crash said:

I suspect that in the end, from a cost perspective, its largely a wash.

Would you prefer to give your money to the boat builder, or to the marina?

:unsure:

1 hour ago, Floating Duck said:

Would you prefer to give your money to the boat builder, or to the marina?

:unsure:

Does it matter?  X number of dollars is X number of dollars, whether that be to J/Boats or a marina.  

On ‎2‎/‎2‎/‎2020 at 5:52 PM, Roleur said:

Pretty excited to see 3 J/99's headed to the Salish Sea.  One will be splashed soon and two more are on order for spring delivery.  Interestingly, two of them will have water ballast, which it turns out are the first two WB boats ordered since the prototype.  

We should see a rating for the first boat in next few weeks.  I'm told to expect a 78.  That's a PNW rating which is intentional slower than most regions (10% applied to all boats over 0 PHRF several years ago).  For reference a OD J/105 rates 93, a J/88 is 87, a J/109 is 66, and a SunFast 3600 is 57.  

Base rating in PHRF-NB is 78

47 minutes ago, Varan said:

Any rating info for the sunfast 3300?

66 for W/L in the Chessie according the 3300 thread.

• Like 1