airacer

Generator in a marina all night?

As I write this it is 12:38AM and I am listening to the charter boat neighbor’s Leapord 48 generator running at the dock next door. Less than 10ft from my berth. 

Why not just plug in? 

What would you do? Ideas....

I wouldn't be backward about going over and knocking on the hull, waking them up and starting with a polite request to shut it down.

• Like 2

Stuff a root vegetable up inside the exhaust, it will take them a month to find out what is wrong...

• Like 3

I’m not averse to that, but it’s hardly any fun. We will see what ideas another cocktail brings. 

1 minute ago, olaf hart said:

Stuff a root vegetable up inside the exhaust, it will take them a month to find out what is wrong...

Now we are talkin!

7 hours ago, airacer said:

As I write this it is 12:38AM and I am listening to the charter boat neighbor’s Leapord 48 generator running at the dock next door. Less than 10ft from my berth. 

Why not just plug in? 

What would you do? Ideas....

Wow, this is terrible.

If there is any sign that they are awake, I would politely knock and inquire. If they appear to be asleep, I'd shove my head under a pillow and speak to them in the morning.

"Alexa, put expanding foam, disposable ear plugs on my shopping list."

It is possible that the boats power doesn’t match what’s on the dock. I was not able to plug in Osprey in Europe for that reason. I only ran the generator once to recharge the batteries during the day. I would talk to them first. Root Vegetable can be plan B. 

We have had that a fair bit in Central America, usually power issue, no 220 50htz or no 50amp or no 480v.  Most of them were apologetic.  If its a regular neighbor sounds weird though, worth a stop to see what's what.  The only ones that were real Aholes was the power boat on the mooring next to us in Cherry cove who's gen was running on half a cylinder and filled out boat with exhaust.  They closed all the doors etc and pretended we weren't there.

Our local guidance by the Authorities, is no engine / generator running before 08:00 or after 20:00 unless actually leaving or going to your mooring..

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ajax said:

Wow, this is terrible.

If there is any sign that they are awake, I would politely knock and inquire. If they appear to be asleep, I'd shove my   their head under a pillow and spneak to them in the  away by morning.

"Alexa, put expanding foam, disposable ear plugs  Bleach, Rubber Gloves, Scrub Brush, and Lonely Planet: See Mexico on $20 a Day  on my shopping list."

Fixed.

• Like 2

We had this in Rock Hall. A big motor yacht right next to us with the generator exhaust pointing across the dock at us ran all night. I think they needed more power than the shore power could provide, but still .. :angry::angry: 

It was cold enough we were all closed up or it would have really sucked!

4 hours ago, Ajax said:

"Alexa, put expanding foam, disposable ear plugs on my shopping list."

A can of expanding foam down the exhaust would work better.

• Like 1

Large yachts, cruise ships, Coast Guard vessels - they all run generators all the time.  The cruise ships generator exhaust leaves a sickly sheen of oil over the entire marina, after a calm night.  

I've rowed over in my dinghy and asked people politely to turn the genny off more than once.  Most times they looked a bit ashamed and turned them off without a fight. 

Unfortunately, not without dragging those first responders from their post for nothing. 

Better to set fire to the boat first so they're not wasting their time.

• Like 4

12 hours ago, kimbottles said:

Bagpipes...........

You, always with the nuclear option...  dial it back Kim, dial it back...

Walk up and down their finger gunning a chainsaw and screaming, "YOU GUYS HEAR SOMETHING?" 

What, no chainsaw on board? 

Not vegetables. A used plastic bag into the water intake. And it's considered recycling. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, European Bloke said:

That's a much more proportional response that the psycho with the bagpipes.

What about a banjo then?

LOTS of creative responses here. I like it.

On 2/4/2020 at 8:30 AM, kimbottles said:

Bagpipes...........

A banjo 

Diesel exhaust is worse for you than noise.

Some people running a generator next to us, in front of the Empress in Victoria, said they were making pizza for the kids.  I told them we would order pizza for them if they'd turn it off.  They just shut their door. 

What can you expect from people eating frozen pizza in front of the Empress?

Love the responses! You guys are evil! :-) Some really good ones! 

Rather than untie the boat and let it float away, or piss in the fuel tank, I found its charter website and sent an email at 2am.

Apparently Mr. Charter capn’ wasn’t even supposed to be at the dock and was awoken first thing in the AM by a call by the pissed off owner. 

The excuse stated in the AM ”my toys and dinghy are in the way of the 50a outlet”.

Pure laziness.  

BTW, I have no problems with generators on moorings or in an anchorage, but there is no need while in a marina with adequate shore power 5 ft away from the transom.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, airacer said:

I have no problems with generators on moorings or in an anchorage, but there is no need while in a marina with adequate shore power 5 ft away from the transom.

If they need a generator running for hours, why are they on a fucking boat? They should stay home.

• Like 7

2 hours ago, airacer said:

BTW, I have no problems with generators on moorings or in an anchorage, but there is no need while in a marina with adequate shore power 5 ft away from the transom.

It depends...Run it at anchor/on a mooring for an hour or two to top up the house bank?  Ok, I can live with that.  Run it all night?  I'll be be by with my Limpet Mine  <_<

• Like 2

I think that offensive gangster rap at an appropriate volume would work in this situation. It's worked for me before with people anchoring on top of us, kinda saying something without saying something. Start with some 3six mafia "slob on my knob" and go from there. 

• Like 2

On 2/5/2020 at 12:32 AM, Crash said:

Limpet mine?

Image result for limpet mine"

1534344025843_untitled2of3-2-741x493.jpg

Maybe just a _small_ limpet mine. You know, something that would punch a 1" hole through the hull but not kill everybody. I could get on board with that.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Zonker said:

Maybe just a _small_ limpet mine. You know, something that would punch a 1" hole through the hull but not kill everybody. I could get on board with that.

Done right, it would just flood the aux engineerIng space where the generator is :rolleyes:

11 hours ago, Toecutter's Ghost said:

A bucket of crickets chucked on board would be harmless fun.

Coqi Frogs even better.

Just swim under the stern and tie a line underwater from the nearest piling to their rudder with some slack. Fun times when they leave :D

2 hours ago, kent_island_sailor said:

Just swim under the stern and tie a line underwater from the nearest piling to their rudder with some slack. Fun times when they leave :D

I'd also tie a board to the line with a note written in indelible ink chiding them about the generator.

My impression is that what I think of as common courtesy is becoming much less practiced across the board, while cluelessness, rudeness, obnoxious and dysfunctional behaviour is growing, embraced and even celebrated. Perhaps a sign of the times, I dunno. So the choices are to try and "let it go" and not let it get to you, or engage - and hope you don't get into a major pissing contest, punched, stabbed or shot. In this particular case I'd be very tempted to knock on the hull and explain that their generator is loud, pumping fumes into my sleeping cabin, and ask them to shut it down until sunrise anyway. If that failed it would be very tempting to escalate. Tossing a broken bolt or cotter pin on deck is an old favorite, but as it's a charterboat that probably wouldn't have much impact. If they're departing the following day it might be fun to help them undock, with a wave, smile and "Good f*cking riddance asshole!" shout out to the skipper? If you're both staying longer I'd go to the marina office, complain, and ask to move to a different slip. Some charterers seem willfully oblivious to anything but their own selfish interests. 

44 minutes ago, sugarbird said:

My impression is that what I think of as common courtesy is becoming much less practiced across the board, while cluelessness, rudeness, obnoxious and dysfunctional behaviour is growing, embraced and even celebrated. Perhaps a sign of the times, I dunno. So the choices are to try and "let it go" and not let it get to you, or engage - and hope you don't get into a major pissing contest, punched, stabbed or shot. In this particular case I'd be very tempted to knock on the hull and explain that their generator is loud, pumping fumes into my sleeping cabin, and ask them to shut it down until sunrise anyway. If that failed it would be very tempting to escalate. Tossing a broken bolt or cotter pin on deck is an old favorite, but as it's a charterboat that probably wouldn't have much impact. If they're departing the following day it might be fun to help them undock, with a wave, smile and "Good f*cking riddance asshole!" shout out to the skipper? If you're both staying longer I'd go to the marina office, complain, and ask to move to a different slip. Some charterers seem willfully oblivious to anything but their own selfish interests. 

Even if I've arrived first and scored a primo spot, my first instinct is to just give up and move to a different when a rude boat shows up.

Unfortunately, as courtesy becomes less and less practiced, you find yourself moving...and moving, and moving until you're basically shut out. Who would have thought that the waters weren't vast enough to accommodate both the courteous and the clueless?

I'm no psychologist but this rude behavior seems to trend upwards with the ability to bring more modern conveniences onto the water with you, at affordable costs. People don't want to "escape," they want to bring it all with them and they want it on-demand, all the time. The internet, TV, streaming video services, video game console, air conditioning, fridge and freezer. I think some of it is an attempt to appease and entertain children who otherwise wouldn't be caught dead spending a weekend on a boat instead of hanging with their friends or barricaded in their bedroom on social media.  That means generators and running them all the time.

I have a co-worker who says he will never go camping or spend a weekend on a small boat (35 feet or less) because "I make too much money to live in simulated homelessness."

Where I live, the prevailing attitude is that if you subject yourself to an outdoor activity that involves any amount of physical discomfort, deprivation or sacrifice, you're either broke, or a social aberration. None of my co-workers can wrap their brain around the fact that I actually enjoy sleeping on a 34 foot boat without air conditioning and spotty cell phone coverage, nor can they grasp the fact that I enjoy the physical exertion and minor, temporary discomfort required to sail the boat.

• Like 4