SSOCK

Would you crew on a boat where the owner has 'opposite' political views?

It's off season, and I have met the owner and some of the crew. Meh, it seems that they are newer sailors and they could use some help.

I think that it could be a good fit as they are not all 'rockstars' that do not take suggestion.

Owner FB 'friends' me and seems to spout a lot of political opinion / stuff that I do not necessarily agree with.

Do I keep it in my hat (as we ALL have previously raced with / for owners that we do not share the same political views)?

I am inclined to give it a try and see how things shake out, if I do not like it, I can always bail I guess.

Flame On and no I am not LR or Left Hook or even Snaggie..

All the time!  Do you have any friends that have different political views?  It's called democracy.

• Like 18

I'm fine with other people having opinions at odds with mine as long as it all stays compartmentalized. Most of my friends and family are mannered enough to not bring politics up as a general topic in order to maintain the domestic tranquility and things work out just fine.

The fact that the boss posts political commentary on media tells me he's not one of these. My instinct would be to steer clear.

I sold my boat to an otherwise nice guy that couldn't not make snide comments about how libruls have ruined everything. By the end of 2 days of it, if the money hadn't already changed hands, I would have walked away from the deal just to show him that words have consequences.

• Like 5

Flew up from Florida to sail short handed in a regatta in Long Island with an ex-Brit named Ken and his ugly daughter back in ‘98. They sailed along and trashed the Irish for a few races before I let them know that I’m a dual citizen of the US and Ireland, born and raised in the US. Never even been to Ireland.

They didn’t sail well before that and sailed even worse afterwards. You could see the hate in their eyes. 
Me, I tried to get the boat moving faster so I could get them off the course and back for tea and crumpets.

They chose to not sail the next day and I was picked up by another boat and we won the regatta. I enjoyed listening to how much better they were than the dumb Irish. They don’t know that Sir Paul McCartney is a mick and so is the entire inbred monarchy. They even looked like pub crawling micks, just with bad teeth...

11 minutes ago, RobbieB said:

All the time!  Do you have any friends that have different political views?  It's called democracy.

This!! I have good friends who, I can call Trumptard's to their face.  We just don't talk much about politics.

• Like 3

Sure within limits. There probably is a breaking point of racism and sexism I could not be around, but in your situation I would delete my Facebook account ASAP, not be exposed to their online crap, and enjoy the sail.

* I swear Facebook is probably the worst possible thing that has ever happened to interpersonal relationships

• Like 11

14 minutes ago, Sail4beer said:

Flew up from Florida to sail short handed in a regatta in Long Island with an ex-Brit named Ken and his ugly daughter back in ‘98. They sailed along and trashed the Irish for a few races before I let them know that I’m a dual citizen of the US and Ireland, born and raised in the US. Never even been to Ireland.

They didn’t sail well before that and sailed even worse afterwards. You could see the hate in their eyes. 
Me, I tried to get the boat moving faster so I could get them off the course and back for tea and crumpets.

They chose to not sail the next day and I was picked up by another boat and we won the regatta. I enjoyed listening to how much better they were than the dumb Irish. They don’t know that Sir Paul McCartney is a mick and so is the entire inbred monarchy. They even looked like pub crawling micks, just with bad teeth...

Last I checked the royals changed their names so people would forget their German origins. Irish????

• Like 3

That’s what I heard recently. If they have no sense of humor, then the German lineage might fit.

When I tell people that I’m of Irish decent, I’m often told I look like an Aryan. Probably because the Germanic tribes raped and pillaged Ireland before the Brits.

1 minute ago, kent_island_sailor said:

Plenty of Viking DNA in Britain and Ireland.

This!!  Vikings were robbing, pillaging and raping for near on 500 years, I reckon.....

As long as he provides really cool crew gear who cares what his political views are...nothing can go wrong surely??

images - 2020-02-07T000327.086.jpeg

• Like 5

Sailing is Sailing.  Arguing is arguing.  The two do not mix.  When they come together, very bad things happen.  People get hurt and not with fists or even words.  

Politics is not an issue, when one can discuss the issues of the day as civil men and women.  I have many friends who strongly disagree with my politics but we can discuss the issues, even joke about the issues with never a cross word between us.  

Those who cannot tolerate the opposite view are perhaps the most serious issue of our nation today.  It is an issue that needs discussion, an issue that needs resolution.  Resolution NOT by forcing one’s beliefs on another.  

Yes I would gladly sail with someone who has different ideas, but I cannot and will not tolerate another who forces his thoughts or makes sport of the other’s thoughts on how the country should be run.  

My family has fought in every major war since 1941 excepting the first Gulf War.  Our families have lived on this continent since well before the civil war, on both sides of the Mason Dixon line.  We have earned the right to express our thoughts and beliefs.  We have not earned the right to Force other fellow citizens of our nation to believe as we do.  

• Like 12

2 minutes ago, billy backstay said:

This!!  Vikings were robbing, pillaging and raping for near on 500 years, I reckon.....

7 minutes ago, kent_island_sailor said:

Plenty of Viking DNA in Britain and Ireland.

500 years might be a stretch...they literally made themselves extinct by very quickly assimilating with people those places they landed from eastern Mediterranean (arriving from the north) to British Isles. Lots of Viking DNA in Turkey for instance.

Little don has policy all wrong.  Yet, the tribe still supports their boy.

It is easy to stick a hole in their rhetoric if you introduce facts to the conversation.

Then we can move on to argue about football and other such important subjects.

6 minutes ago, kent_island_sailor said:

That was real, wasn't it? They really did the 1930s era uniform designs I think.

Yep and after the war changed over from uniforms to men's suits.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, hasher said:

Then we can move on to argue about football and other such important subjects.

Football!  There’s no football, there’s only LSU FOOTBALL.  (All others are losers) at least this year!  

GO TIGERS 

(and LA Tech won their bowl game as well, GO DOGS!).

9CC02A52-0B57-4072-B0C8-F8D4B1970F95.jpeg

EEBF55F4-FF24-4FB2-8B31-296BADEF2A2A.jpeg

3 minutes ago, Santana20AE said:

Football!  There’s no football, there’s only LSU FOOTBALL.  (All others are losers) at least this year!  

GO TIGERS 

It is basketball season and we may not have Magic anymore, Sparty has a great coach and some excellent players.

6 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

Yep and after the war changed over from uniforms to men's suits.

The Nazis were evil, but they dressed well.

LSU won its Frist national championship in 1958,  it was a big, big thing in Louisiana. Had a star player who really galvanized the state, Billy Cannon.  That year they also played in New Orleans, at the old Tulane Stadium.  

The team they beat......Clemson 

Thought y’all might like to knwo

And Billy Cannon later played for the Oilers. Good times.  back to the topic - yes and with the understanding no politics. At least until the end at the dock when one can stay or go.

2 minutes ago, Santana20AE said:

LSU won its Frist national championship in 1958,  it was a big, big thing in Louisiana. Had a star player who really galvanized the state, Billy Cannon.  That year they also played in New Orleans, at the old Tulane Stadium.  

The team they beat......Clemson 

Thought y’all might like to knwo

The Spartans have won six national championships.

Just now, Cristoforo said:

LA Tech. Well ain't that  an oxymoron

Whoa there Mr. Chritoforo, that be my aluminum matter.  

LA Tech 1977, Master’s at ULM and still can’t spell.  

Of course I misunderstood right.  U were referring to Los Angelas Tech righ?

15 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

500 years might be a stretch...they literally made themselves extinct by very quickly assimilating with people those places they landed from eastern Mediterranean (arriving from the north) to British Isles. Lots of Viking DNA in Turkey for instance.

Nor'west Russia, as well.

1 minute ago, Santana20AE said:

Whoa there Mr. Chritoforo, that be my aluminum matter.  

LA Tech 1977, Master’s at ULM and still can’t spell.  

Of course I misunderstood right.  U were referring to Los Angelas Tech righ?

Lower Alabama, of course 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Santana20AE said:

GO TIGERS 

Burrow is simply great.  We had y'all for a little bit.  Our problem was we had no "plan B" and once LSU figured out our "plan A" and the work arounds we were done....

• Like 1

Apologies to all for ripping the thread to pieces. But it has been a major political event elsewhere for my family this morning.  Friends and families are getting ripped apart.  Most sad, mostly unnecessary to have all begun.  

So please forgive.  Gotta be light and gotta enjoy life because it is ALL TOO SHORT.

No issue sailing with owners that have differing political views. In fact I have no issue with people having different political views in general. It's called being an adult and not a bigot.....

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, RobbieB said:

Burrow is simply great.  We had y'all for a little bit.  Our problem was we had no "plan B" and once LSU figured out our "plan A" and the work arounds we were done....

Y’all have a great team and I suspect that come next year, few if any will be able to top them.  This was just a special year for Coach O and his team.  It all came together just perfectly and kept building and growing as the year went on.  I truly believe no one had a plan b for LSU this year.  

10 minutes ago, billy backstay said:

Nor'west Russia, as well.

When you think they dragged their boats overland doing that tour.. pretty remarkable.

images - 2020-02-07T003343.017.jpeg

6 minutes ago, EastCoastHustle said:

No issue sailing with owners that have differing political views. In fact I have no issue with people having different political views in general. It's called being an adult.....

All my liberal friends find I am way too conservative.  My conservative friends think I'm a pinko communist.  I don't expect to change the world, but I do maintain peace in the house and on the boat.

1 minute ago, hasher said:

All my liberal friends find I am way too conservative.  My conservative friends think I'm a pinky communist.  I don't expect to change the world, but I do maintain peace in the house and on the boat.

Only seems to become an issue when someone is simply unwilling to accept that it is okay to disagree on some things

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Santana20AE said:

Y’all have a great team and I suspect that come next year, few if any will be able to top them.  This was just a special year for Coach O and his team.  It all came together just perfectly and kept building and growing as the year went on.  I truly believe no one had a plan b for LSU this year.  

It was a good game.  LSU deserved the W and I didn't mind seeing them get it because they sure as hell earned it!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, EastCoastHustle said:

Only seems to become an issue when someone is simply unwilling to accept that it is okay to disagree on some things

I would say I am more of a searcher than a knower.

So, let us take this a step further.

Do I just keep my head down and mouth shut unless specifically asked about my views? or

Let the owner know as I first step on board that I do not care if she is a P,Q,R,S, T and a flaming Liberal but, not to shove it in my face.

It might be really fun and my wife might actually approve (of some of it) ..

I thought politics were only talked about on internet forums under anonymous names and not in public, face to face. 

I have sailed with countless people that have differing political views.  Many of them are great people.  I understand we all come from different walks of life and experiences.  I have had a few political discussions sitting around waiting for wind.  But they were all more exploring and understanding why each other feel the way they do about varying topics.  Not so much trying to argue and tell each other why you're wrong.   

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SSOCK said:

It's off season, and I have met the owner and some of the crew. Meh, it seems that they are newer sailors and they could use some help.

I think that it could be a good fit as they are not all 'rockstars' that do not take suggestion.

Owner FB 'friends' me and seems to spout a lot of political opinion / stuff that I do not necessarily agree with.

Do I keep it in my hat (as we ALL have previously raced with / for owners that we do not share the same political views)?

I am inclined to give it a try and see how things shake out, if I do not like it, I can always bail I guess.

On the way out to the race course we talk  about the days strategy. On the race course we talk  very little as we are all focused the boat. On the way back in after almost always winning we talk about hot chicks and b00bs. No time to talk politics or religion 

10 minutes ago, SSOCK said:

So, let us take this a step further.

Do I just keep my head down and mouth shut unless specifically asked about my views? or

Let the owner know as I first step on board that I do not care if she is a P,Q,R,S, T and a flaming Liberal but, not to shove it in my face.

It might be really fun and my wife might actually approve (of some of it) ..

I would not be happy at all if you came on my boat and told me what to talk about and how. I would politely inform the owner, once back at the dock, that the political climate on the boat is too intense for you and you will sail elsewhere.

all the damn time. hell when I get hired onto a boat the owners political views are about the last thing to cross my mind. 

58 minutes ago, hasher said:

Little don has policy all wrong.  Yet, the tribe still supports their boy.

34 minutes ago, hasher said:

All my liberal friends find I am way too conservative.  My conservative friends think I'm a pinko communist.  I don't expect to change the world, but I do maintain peace in the house and on the boat.

Hmmm. I guess you are the guy I wouldn’t sail with. Your bigoted first quote was backed up by your second ignorant quote. You are a flip flop and passive aggressive if your not a liberal as you want to sound.

You keep the peace...how?

1 minute ago, Sail4beer said:

Hmmm. I guess you are the guy I wouldn’t sail with. Your bigoted first quote was backed up by your second ignorant quote. You are a flip flop and passive aggressive if your not a liberal as you want to sound.

Do you listen to NPR?

Have you seen intelligent people disagree but with respect?

It is not that difficult to listen and learn.  You don't have to agree.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Sail4beer said:

You wouldn't sail with him, but you will fly 1,500 miles to crew  on  a shorthanded boat with people you don't remotely know and have never met, and then complain about them. Describing them as ugly, inbred,  and bad teeth, and you are calling another guy a bigot.   Interesting process.  Sounds like a tragic lost crew possibility for hasher. 

You should sail on the boat. As long as he doesn't insist on going right when the left is clearly favored, you'll probably have a great time.

• Like 2

I would go sailing to NOT talk about politics and do something fun myself. A boat crewed with half Berni Bros and half Rush fans is my idea of hell :o:o

• Like 2

I avoid national politics drama on the water as much as I avoid YC drama on the water. Poseidon doesn’t suffer fools, and I’m not a good enough sailor to have time for foolish debate around the marks.

Attitude matters more to me than opinions. If we can both live and let live, we can have fun on the water.

12 minutes ago, hasher said:

Do you listen to NPR?

Have you seen intelligent people disagree but with respect?

It is not that difficult to listen and learn.  You don't have to agree.

I listen to NPR on WNYC, thank you. It is a very liberal news outlet. Especially Brian Lehr. They got caught up in the we too movement and we lost A Prairie Home Companion, it’s long time host and another good interviewer(can’t remember his name).

11 minutes ago, Cristoforo said:

You wouldn't sail with him, but you will fly 1,500 miles to crew  on  a shorthanded boat with people you don't remotely know and have never met, and then complain about them. Describing them as ugly, inbred,  and bad teeth, and you are calling another guy a bigot.   Interesting process.  Sounds like a tragic lost crew possibility for hasher. 

I went as a favor for the class on my own dime as they were short on people for a long standing regatta. I didn’t expect to be treated like trash because of my ancestral heritage by bigoted ex-pats talking political and national trash. And the girl was as ugly as can be, out and proud lesbian and nasty to me for being a man too!

Hasher pretends to sit on the fence, but he really hates on the President like they do in PA. I don’t talk politics because it is bad form. I’ll just vote the way I feel in November. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, kent_island_sailor said:

I would go sailing to NOT talk about politics and do something fun myself. A boat crewed with half Berni Bros and half Rush fans is my idea of hell :o:o

What do you have against Rush?  Once you get over Geddy's slightly cracking voice it is pretty solid rock.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, SSOCK said:

I have neighbors who have markedly different political views than I.  I never bring it up and try to change the subject when they bring it up.  They are all very nice people and we socialize often.  No need to let divisive issues decide the relationship.

But one guy loves talking it up believing he can convince everyone he's right.  He'll come up to you happily bragging how his party is changing America for the better.  He's an 86 year old Air Force colonel who flew over Korea and Vietnam.  He sailed around the world a couple times over 6 years.  He's an amazing wood carver who has his pieces in many places around the city.  And he's a real sweetheart of a guy.  But he's set in stone with his beliefs.  I had to learn how to maneuver around his insistence we discuss politics.  It took a while but he no longer tries to convert me, nor I, him.   

51 minutes ago, Tax Man said:

What do you have against Rush?  Once you get over Geddy's slightly cracking voice it is pretty solid rock.

OK, I'll take some Rush fans :P

• Like 1

When did accepting racist, misogynistic, xenophobic people become synonymous with tolerating others' views? Fuck that and small minded bigots. 

• Like 3

I sail with a full trumpalo. We no longer talk politics, even joking.  still love him.  

• Like 1

Ever notice all the unprovoked, bomb throwing, name calling  and snide comments on non-PA threads all come from one side...

So tiresome.  I may not agree with you, and will not bother to say so (wasted time and breath), but please STFU unless in a PA like environment.

• Like 2

I'd rather be friends with someone who has beliefs, than someone who has none.  And a la Alexander Hamilton, I'd support or vote for someone who has beliefs over one who has none.  "Jefferson has beliefs, Burr has none."

That said, having a belief doesn't mean imposing it on other people.  Discussion of differences, and logic or reasons why you feel as you do are great, and we don't do enough of that.  Too many people these days spend way too much time only listening to "their" side, and screaming vindictive hate at the other (take Ed as one example, The President as the other).  It's not compelling in either case.  Many of those people who are so vocal about it, don't actually vote, which I can't figure out.

As for the OP's situation, I might try having a private word, or sending a nice email that notes you've seen their facebook page, don't necessarily agree with all they seem to say, and wonder if that is an issue for them and their crew?   If they say "no big deal, its a big world, and we just sail when on the boat"  then great.  Go be a great crew for them.  If they withdraw in the invite based on your political views, then too bad on them.  Go find a less politicized boat.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Heisenberg said:

When did accepting racist, misogynistic, xenophobic people become synonymous with tolerating others' views? Fuck that and small minded bigots. 

So your going to teach people how to be more tolerant by being intolerant?  Not sure that's a pathway to achieve your goal...

• Like 3

3 hours ago, SSOCK said:

For me it would come down to two questions about their erroneous views (i.e. any disagreement with my obviously correct and enlightened views)

1.       Are their political views based reasoned assessments of policy choices or are they based on deep routed tribal beliefs and or  ignorant stubbornness? If the former then I would enjoy the sailing and the discussion; I might even benefit from evolving my views based on thoughtful debate. If the latter, life is too short to spend it with the closed minded.

2.       Do they feel the need to impose their POV on others? If they are comfortable accepting others have legitimately different views and can leave it at that, then why not.

Views on / discussions of politics and religion have some similarity, especially as religion can dictate views on social policy. I did a bit of competitive skiing in Utah and elsewhere with athletes from Utah. Utah has a big devote Mormon population...with whom I differ on things ranging from the link between God and Joseph Smith (well actually the existence of god regardless of Joseph Smith), the role of women, the value of alcohol etc. etc. I had some of the greatest camaraderie of my life with these fellow athletes...and with some I quickly learned to either sit at a different table or keep my opinions to myself and my thoughts elsewhere.

I sailed with a much older man from Texas for years, we had very different political views.  We got along great, I drove his boat and managed of the crew.  He trimmed the sails and made sure the boat was ready to race.  We won a lot of races.  We rarely delved into politics but learned to find common ground.  It was refreshing to talk with someone outside of my normal bubble.

He eventually introduced me to my wife and our success on the boat led directly to me getting recruited to be a sailmaker.  Don't let petty bullshit ruin otherwise good opportunities.

• Like 2

There's no need to discuss politics until one agrees on the facts. And the conversation about facts is long overdue.

And it's worth mentioning that NCAA football is a microcosm of the Republican agenda - illegally transferring vast sums of public money into a small number of private pockets on the backs of a disenfranchised lower class who are not reasonably educated, insured or compensated.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Sail4beer said:

That’s what I heard recently. If they have no sense of humor, then the German lineage might fit.

A friend had a great joke about that.

A person was asked to describe the Russian national character.

"They're kind of like like Germans - but without the sense of humour". :D

Re: the OP - that's one of those "It depends" questions.

I wouldn't sail with a serious Trump supporter or other extreme right winger nor would I sail with a communist or other extreme left winger,

Libertarians or real anarchists too - you can add them to right or left as you see fit.

Aside from the intellectual aggravation, I wouldn't feel safe on a vessel owned & operated by a person that lacking in intelligence or rationality.

Meh, We manage to keep it out of most our fleet conversations.  Having most of the S20's dry sailed in the same side of the PL, and 4 away regattas, we see alot of each other over the course of the summer and tend to keep politics out of it most of the time.  On the boat, who cares??  I can count the number of political discussions we have had on the boat on 1 hand and our fleet has been sailing against each other in one form or another for the last 20 years, so everyone kind of knows where everyone else stands and there is simply no need to bring it up.  I believe most normal people have the ability to shut that shit off when they are away from the i-nets and among friends.  So Drink all you want, sail your ass off and have fun.  National politics is just not in the mix.  

• Like 1

I wouldn’t sweat it. Sailors have wildly varying rudders.
After all no side of the course is favored all the time.

Social media is funny. I’ve made both great friends and cordial acquaintances with folks whose “fb” or “insta” profiles irritated no end me once I saw them. and yet we get along fine in the real world.

Also there are plenty of folks who have weird views but hide them online thanks to our datamining overlords (and HR departments).

Anyway we all have differences. Luckily also have rum, wind, and waves to help keep us in the same boat.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, shaggy said:

Meh, We manage to keep it out of most our fleet conversations.  Having most of the S20's dry sailed in the same side of the PL, and 4 away regattas, we see alot of each other over the course of the summer and tend to keep politics out of it most of the time.  On the boat, who cares??  I can count the number of political discussions we have had on the boat on 1 hand and our fleet has been sailing against each other in one form or another for the last 20 years, so everyone kind of knows where everyone else stands and there is simply no need to bring it up.  I believe most normal people have the ability to shut that shit off when they are away from the i-nets and among friends.  So Drink all you want, sail your ass off and have fun.  National politics is just not in the mix.  

THIS ^

Political conversations on boats are much less common than online. The guy that is out of his bunk early for his watch and is first up on the bow to help me tie down a loose sail with green water coming across the deck is > the guy that agrees with my politics but hides from the scary waves :rolleyes:

Whether or not you sail with people that have different political views, totally depends on how much the people you sail with tend to inject their politics into their conversations.

We sailed pretty much this entire summer with 8-9 people on the boat every race. The political views range from liberal socialist dirtbag to right wing fascist dirtbag, from totally straight to totally gay, from totally hyper male to totally hyper female, and ages ranging from millennial to boomer . Somehow we all manage to get along and have fun together. The magic happens when we all realize that we can have the common bond of the sport to make the time pass, and that none of us are defined solely based on our political views.  Sure every once and a while a little spiff comes up over a topic, but it is quickly squashed by "hey trim the f-ing spinnaker"

Unfortunately for some people, they do solely define themselves by their politics. It's unfortunate, but you'll just find this brand of a-hole everywhere coming from every camp. These kind of folks are easy to sniff out, and even easier to avoid. And so I do! Not only will I not sail with this type, I won't ask them on my boat.

So try it out. My guess is you'll find one of the above scenerios onboard the boat. Then it will make a repeat visit an easy decision.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Crash said:

So your going to teach people how to be more tolerant by being intolerant?  Not sure that's a pathway to achieve your goal...

Tolerance? To paraphrase the Princess Bride, "I do not think that word means what you think it means..."    Intolerance of hate? All day long.

• Like 2

I can tolerate politics as long as it's not  constant or strident in either direction.  Happy to have a rational discussion of the issues.  Just don't try to force me to agree with your opinions.  I draw the line at racism and sexism.  Play those cards and I won't be back on your boat and you'll never be on mine. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, kent_island_sailor said:

Last I checked the royals changed their names so people would forget their German origins. Irish????

Famous Black Adder Quote

Captain Darling: Look, I'm as British as Queen Victoria!

Blackadder: So, your Father's German, you're half-German and you married a German?

2 hours ago, Heisenberg said:

Tolerance? To paraphrase the Princess Bride, "I do not think that word means what you think it means..."    Intolerance of hate? All day long.

I'm not sure I got my point across.  I won't tolerate that behavior towards another person or persons.  I will step in to shield and protect such a person from that kind of persecution.  But you can't teach/change someone by hating them, you just make them hate more.  You have to be able to show them they have nothing to fear from those they hate.  You have to be able to show them the people they hate are people just like them.  They hate (in many cases) because they are afraid, or are ignorant of the truth, etc.  Yes there are some truly evil people in the world, and you're unlikely to change them.  But they are a minority.  The rest are either afraid, or have been taught to hate.  They can be shown/taught not to.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, shaggy said:

Meh, We manage to keep it out of most our fleet conversations.  Having most of the S20's dry sailed in the same side of the PL, and 4 away regattas, we see alot of each other over the course of the summer and tend to keep politics out of it most of the time.  On the boat, who cares?? 

I find that on a Santana 20,though the loads are not great and there is not a lot of inertial, so when something happens, it happens REAL QUICK.  Sailing on a lake, with a fair amount of wind, shifts, puffs and general gusts, make keeping one’s head out of the boat and monitoring what is going on in the real world kind of important.   (And not worry about what some people are doing who live and work in a city far, far away)

Taking care of the task at hand is far more important.  (And finding time to break out the PB&J’s )

I do all the time. Fuck, I’ve even raced with a Red Sox/Patriots  fan :lol:  

Yes.  Most people hurling shit at each other from either side (particularly sailors) would actually like each other if they met in person. 

16 minutes ago, dacapo said:

I do all the time. Fuck, I’ve even raced with a Red Sox/Patriots  fan :lol:  

yeah, but I'm pretty sure I wouldn't let a Yankees fan on my boat :P

1 minute ago, Crash said:

yeah, but I'm pretty sure I wouldn't let a Yankees fan on my boat :P

Oooochie. That hurts. I don’t wear my team affiliations while sailing B)

The sorts of boats I aspired to race on, I can't imagine sharing the same political views as the owners.

I sailed for a decade with an owner near my age who held very right-wing views. I'm talking AM Radio Talk Show views! Didn't keep us from building a very strong team with shelves of trophies to show for it.

5 minutes ago, Somebody Else said:

The sorts of boats I aspired to race on, I can't imagine sharing the same political views as the owners.

I sailed for a decade with an owner near my age who held very right-wing views. I'm talking AM Radio Talk Show views! Didn't keep us from building a very strong team with shelves of trophies to show for it.

+1,000,000

The Ed and I are on  opposite ends. We sailed together in the past and while I cannot do the bow like I used to, I would hope he still holds my opinion in high regard.

if not, I'll have to come to SD and kick his ass on the race course. :D or maybe he can get his ass up to the SB Channel Area and do some real sailing.

I have a non political boat.

I tell everyone to leave their politics on the dock. If they can't, they are free to find another boat.

I sail to get away from all that BS 

Of course, at the proper strategic moment, you can always pipe up with "Hey, Bob!  You really need to go hard left here.  OK?  It's really better if you go left."   

Worth a smile on the rail anyway.  

11 hours ago, kent_island_sailor said:

* I swear Facebook is probably the worst possible thing that has ever happened to interpersonal relationships

Man, that’s the truth.

After seeing one of my crew’s FB posts about the SOU, I have dropped her from the roster for this upcoming season.  

I’d rather sail without bigots who wear stupid maga hats. Sorry find another boat, theres plenty out there.

3 hours ago, dacapo said:

Oooochie. That hurts. I don’t wear my team affiliations while sailing B)

Grandma was a Mets fan from the day the Dodgers went to LA, so I can’t help myself...:P

OK, I don’t really care, was just trying to lighten this thread up some...

• Like 1