Hammer

What's the point...

Looking at the boats foiling and wondering what is the advantage of the extra hull in front of the forestry and behind the traveler. is it purely for the 2% of time when they are in the water?

I understand the behind the traveler section for extending the rudder behind the boat in order to stabilize the platform , but couldn't this be done for a % of the weight by using carbon tubes and trusses (similar to what I14s do)

And for the bow, it seems like all the teams have abandoned the need to have a "0" or what ever they are being called now... so isn't that just carrying around extra baggage?

In the last cup, I don't know if i can remember any race where the winning boat stuffed themselves and continued on to victory... so if the whole race is determined who can stay on the foils the longest, wouldn't the reduced weight be more beneficial.

its very much the first steps in a concept design

no one knew for sure what the performance was going to be or what was needed before they got most of the way through design and launch

if they stick with the same basic concept in the next cup i would expect a few design changes that might go to a skeleton front end now they have proof of concept and can update the sims for the next step using hard data from this one

you could liken this one to richard pearse's first efforts

A few points.

The intent of the class is to be managable when not foiling, removing most of the boat just makes it handle worse at low speed or under tow, this also makes it more appealing from a trickle down respect.

Any weight it does have is RM once it's up on the foil anyway so it's not the big disadvantage you might think it is.

The closer to foiling speed that hull speed is the easier it is to get up.

The longer the hull the more forgiving it is in a mistep.

In general The longer the hull the better the aerodynamic shape as well, so even though it has more area it may not actually be much diferent in this regard (and might even be better) as frontal area is the biggest factor.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Priscilla said:

Could have gone down this track but pretty hard to keep your lunch dry.

mirabaud-lx-photo.thumb.jpg.9ad1897cd15b0e98b8c343dd348a0615.jpg

Saw that sailing at Weymouth speed week a few years back, very cool thing 

5 hours ago, Priscilla said:

Could have gone down this track but pretty hard to keep your lunch dry.

mirabaud-lx-photo.thumb.jpg.9ad1897cd15b0e98b8c343dd348a0615.jpg

its actually hard to see how that contraption would have less wind-age or mass than a monocoque of the same frontal area,     but still looks really cool and that's important too

Could have done skin on frame and all that fantastic engineering would be on show.:)

image-asset.thumb.jpeg.87f973c8127bf1064046738c33ea96e7.jpeg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Priscilla said:

Could have done skin on frame and all that fantastic engineering would be on show.:)

so would that have greater windage (going forward) with or without the skin?.....   but does look cool!

7 hours ago, Hammer said:

Looking at the boats foiling and wondering what is the advantage of the extra hull in front of the forestry and behind the traveler. is it purely for the 2% of time when they are in the water?

I understand the behind the traveler section for extending the rudder behind the boat in order to stabilize the platform , but couldn't this be done for a % of the weight by using carbon tubes and trusses (similar to what I14s do)

And for the bow, it seems like all the teams have abandoned the need to have a "0" or what ever they are being called now... so isn't that just carrying around extra baggage?

In the last cup, I don't know if i can remember any race where the winning boat stuffed themselves and continued on to victory... so if the whole race is determined who can stay on the foils the longest, wouldn't the reduced weight be more beneficial.

When Ben hits something, it’ll be useful to have something in front of the forestay structure, so that it can fall off without the mast falling down, or the boat sinking. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Priscilla said:

What a thing of beauty.

As a Shipwright of 40 years it always impresses me when someone reverts to traditional methods .

Now if only it had some seal skin covering those frames ??

5 hours ago, DayTripper said:

Just so long as one didn't have to use it.

Crikey amazing somebody squandered all that time and skill to create something that is useless.

What on earth were they thinking.

On 2/7/2020 at 2:09 PM, breezie said:

so would that have greater windage (going forward) with or without the skin?.....   but does look cool!

My uneducated opinion.

It really depends on just how fast you can go...

As the boat goes faster and the apparent wind increases and moves forward the skinned version gets better and better compared to the framed version.

15 hours ago, Priscilla said:

Crikey amazing somebody squandered all that time and skill to create something that is useless.

What on earth were they thinking.

I suppose they didn't have much experience in that style of canoe.

• Like 1

What if they just skinned the outer sides of the hull and removed most of the center to reduce weight.  They could then make It wider to increase RM and simplify the method of raising and lowering the foils.....  Oh, wait... that would make it an AC75 cat..never mind!

What about the forward part of the boat going back to what the Hobie tri-foiler used... the Skid Plates or cut down surf boards...

the front and back of the boat is about making the class "Grand".  The AC50 was lacking in presence in the eyes of many.

11 hours ago, wind_apparent said:

Well, unlike many. I took a little trip a couple weeks ago.

Thanks for the effort.

Not exactly much going on in the vid but any pics/vid at all is better than none :)

9 hours ago, hoom said:

Thanks for the effort.

Not exactly much going on in the vid but any pics/vid at all is better than none :)

Wind Apparent posted it in the right thread.

What was the point.

5DD6AB2B-DCE2-417A-B122-D073B2F07DA5.thumb.png.1139bd82471d2147f665871aed47b31e.png

76C92530-FEF1-4CC5-9C6E-DD9BD7DE56D3.thumb.png.93dd0e438f8c8df6597d878569fc503e.png

On 2/16/2020 at 9:00 AM, wind_apparent said:

I don’t know if the point had a name.... but it had quite a view. 

60B400DE-9760-4C3A-A7A8-0405718B155A.jpeg

My guess would be that would be 'Patti Point'. Best seafood shack ever! 

image.png.76c8abf639d7d22fa29e5488b0690550.png

On 2/12/2020 at 7:43 AM, Priscilla said:

Wind Apparent posted it in the right thread.

What was the point.

5DD6AB2B-DCE2-417A-B122-D073B2F07DA5.thumb.png.1139bd82471d2147f665871aed47b31e.png

76C92530-FEF1-4CC5-9C6E-DD9BD7DE56D3.thumb.png.93dd0e438f8c8df6597d878569fc503e.png

Not what point but what's the point .

Shit video and even worse selfie.

13 hours ago, wind_apparent said:

The point is that Dean Barker is a very gifted sailor... who is from NZ pretty sure.   Check.

NZ has a boat.  Which I think is steered by an Aussie... Wrong.  Steered by a kiwi.  But main trimmed by an Aussie (even if he's an honorary kiwi after AC35)

... and Italy also has a boat, steered by an Aussie.   Check (or maybe check - one of their helmsmen is an Aussie, sure.)

And the UK has a boat... steered by a Brit...   Check.  I'll give you that one.

Gashby has officially converted to NZ citizen now... So next time he parties too hard in Sydney, ScoMo will give him a free trip home to Auckland :-)

Just now, rh3000 said:

Gashby has officially converted to NZ citizen now... So next time he parties too hard in Sydney, ScoMo will give him a free trip home to Auckland :-)

Picture of his NZ passport, or it isn't true.