OSPREY

What’s your favorite anchorage’s ( pic’s)

9 minutes ago, Latadjust said:

Is that a daily thing, like thermals,  or a seasonal thing like Spring/Fall?

Except for the West Coast of Vancouver island,  it's a "How lucky to you feel?" thing in the PNW.  (Hint: Don't put all yer money on a single bet...)

2 hours ago, Veeger said:

Except for the West Coast of Vancouver island,  it's a "How lucky to you feel?" thing in the PNW.  (Hint: Don't put all yer money on a single bet...)

We sailed very rarely on the west coast, it was an amazingly calm experience and totally at variance from expectation and repute. We expected way more wind and wave action.

dinghy+jdf.jpg

Back on topic, we spent a few days in this anchorage behind Matthews Island, outside Winter Harbour in Quatsino Sound. Beautiful place when you could see it.

fog3.jpg

fog1.jpg

• Like 3

Campbells Cove or the Washabuck River, Bras d'Or Lakes, Cape Breton Island.

20180812_Washabuck+River+3.JPG

20180812_Washabuck+River+2.JPG

20180812_Washabuck+River+6.JPG

• Like 2

My west coast boat in Montague Marine park.  Great hiking (sauntering).

My Fresh water boat at our farm in Ontario, great spot for looking at old lake schooners on the bottom.

P_20190501_081828_vHDR_Auto.jpg

FANDANGO.jpg

Does anyone have photos of the Salt Pond in Block Island?

@monsoon   Thanks!  Does it fill up bad during the summer?  I'm trying to get up there, barring family disasters.

1 hour ago, monsoon said:

My first boat in the Salt Pond back in about 2003Wavelength_ext.thumb.JPG.0e3ea0919f3dec9c4bfc7542870a9987.JPG

I like the boom tent/cockpit awning. Any details you can share?

1 hour ago, Ajax said:

@monsoon   Thanks!  Does it fill up bad during the summer?  I'm trying to get up there, barring family disasters.

2aad09cda614c17c25456db42efb8509.jpg

That would be the east coast equivalent of California's Catalina Island. The only destination within an easy day sail for roughly 5 million horny Jimmy Buffet fans to overnight at.

21 minutes ago, Diarmuid said:

Hey, I see a spot for my boat.

24 minutes ago, Diarmuid said:

Ha! Looks like 4th of July weekend.  Not typical.

Ajax, during the week it is not too bad, even July and August.  Weekends... pretty crowded, but I've never not found a decent spot. 

Red, the shade over the cockpit was just a nylon tarp. My cruising budget back then was not large. 

• Like 1

Washabuck river?

Is that where you get your money laundered?

• Like 2

8 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

Washabuck river?

Just make sure you don't run up on the Deutsche Bank, a well-know feature of the Washabuck.. 

• Like 5

20 hours ago, viktor said:

That's a sweet looking little boat. Any one have more info? 

Dayum!!! I crewed a boat up to Bras Dor Lake from Maine 2 summers back. I left the boat at St Peters because we had pushed so hard in bad weather to get there I was a little burned out. The owner and other crewman were sailing on to Baddeck and  really pushed me to sail on with them. Kinda wish I had now.

Saco do Mamanguá

• Like 2

Ford’s Terror, Endicott Arm, Alaska.  No pics with me.  You have to live the experience getting in there and being there.

Ice bits floating in the water.  Nail-biting entry into a narrow fjord with uncertain (poorly predicted in books) timing of slack (full ebb or flood literally creates whitewater, whirlpools, etc: very dangerous). Poorly charted rocks - you watch the depth sounder change, suddenly rapidly, and your heart is in your throat.  Very high sheer granite, glacier-carved walls around you.  A sharp turn, constricted entry.  Ignore the chart - it’s not really accurate. Then you’re in.  A landlocked bay surrounded by snowy mountains.  A long low beach at low tide.  Absolutely no one for days and days.  We never saw anyone, coming in or leaving. No VHF reception. A whale very quietly entered and surfaced nearby.  The prawn trap I had dropped yielded prawns for dinner.  And, on Father’s Day, we broke out the ship’s large plastic garbage bags, hiked up nearby snowy slopes, put in our legs up to our butts, and used them as “sleds” to snow slide for a few hours!

Stunning place, but I wonder if I’d have the guts to go back in there.  Nail-biting entry, not terribly confidence-inspiring if something fucked up there...

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Jud - s/v Sputnik said:

Ford’s Terror, Endicott Arm, Alaska.  No pics with me.  You have to live the experience getting in there and being there.

Ice bits floating in the water.  Nail-biting entry into a narrow fjord with uncertain (poorly predicted in books) timing of slack (full ebb or flood literally creates whitewater, whirlpools, etc: very dangerous). Poorly charted rocks - you watch the depth sounder change, suddenly rapidly, and your heart is in your throat.  Very high sheer granite, glacier-carved walls around you.  A sharp turn, constricted entry.  Ignore the chart - it’s not really accurate. Then you’re in.  A landlocked bay surrounded by snowy mountains.  A long low beach at low tide.  Absolutely no one for days and days.  We never saw anyone, coming in or leaving. No VHF reception. A whale very quietly entered and surfaced nearby.  The prawn trap I had dropped yielded prawns for dinner.  And, on Father’s Day, we broke out the ship’s large plastic garbage bags, hiked up nearby snowy slopes, put in our legs up to our butts, and used them as “sleds” to snow slide for a few hours!

Stunning place, but I wonder if I’d have the guts to go back in there.  Nail-biting entry, not terribly confidence-inspiring if something fucked up there...

It's a pretty neat place.  We anchored 'outside' the reversing rapids but kayaked in with the last of the flood and out with the early ebb----prior to the Class IV rapids that occurs at maximum exchange!

• Like 1

On 2/18/2020 at 8:09 PM, SloopJonB said:

Washabuck river?

No dear.

(Punctuate/spellcheck to taste.)

Currently in Charlotte Amalie, fantastic for provisioning.  Tomorrow back to Virgin Gorda before the North swells arrive again.

PANO_20200225_145149_vr.jpg

My club's man-made 7 hectare island - Clube dos Jangadeiros, Porto Alegre, Brasil.

Drone pic by my friend bruno pjr.

Ilha Janga.jpeg

• Like 4

Ram Island, Holbrook Harbor ME 

h254qeFzZezRXRquZMEoDGNAQTfh3ISvCe95_rHe

Dix Is, Muscle Ridge Channel ME 

WouPHbMykaGGmhECPFptNK1R2j7WlPbM8Ge3ygwf

• Like 2

Since Willin and Jake are here...

Another of the drone shots at south minerva ( I put one up in the not sailing thread recently)

And the other is Fulaga in the Southern Lau, Fiji.  Minerva is just a great place to arrive after 5 days at sea for us, quite an unusual feeling anchored in the calm behind just the reef, might be 2 or 4 metre sea state outside. Been there in that,  but not this day.

Fulaga is just the crown jewel.

Screenshot_2020-03-08-14-38-34.png

Screenshot_2020-03-08-14-34-57.png

• Like 4

Maxx/Ish - you can post any anchorage on the coast and it will look like that.

8 hours ago, Ishmael said:

Octopus Islands.

oBgbLCI.jpg

Looks like a great spot to wait out CoVid19.

My favourite spot is where I drop the hook next time! Seriously. Looking at all pictures posted, my next drop wherever that might be is the best. 

For a minute, look at it differently. Where is the worst place? When I of whatever reason can't sail around exploring new places to drop my anchor that would be my worst day. Therefore, my best anchorage is where I drop it next time.  It might not be as exotic and nice as most of the pictures posted, but it is my best anchorage. We can discuss places we have been and places we like to visit, but nothing beats my next anchorage. 

Keep exploring, thank goodness, I got a windless. 

• Like 1

Lake (fake) Pedder Tasmania.

No photo description available.

Night one:

An advantage of trailer-sailers (and no tide)!

Night two:

I do very little "cruising" - but will have to get back up here one day, maybe with the family... this was late summer, and the place (apart from a few kayakers near the town) was deserted!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ALL@SEA said:

Lake (fake) Pedder Tasmania.

Night one:

An advantage of trailer-sailers (and no tide)!

Night two:

I do very little "cruising" - but will have to get back up here one day, maybe with the family... this was late summer, and the place (apart from a few kayakers near the town) was deserted!

Nice, what boat is that?

13 minutes ago, ALL@SEA said:

Elliott 7, circa 1996. https://sailboatdata.com/sailboat/elliott-7 - I'm very close to buying a bigger, more ocean orientated boat, but have become very attached to my E7, and am not sure I will be able to part with her!

Who ever said that you're limited to having one boat?

FKT

• Like 1