OSPREY

What’s your favorite anchorage’s ( pic’s)

Recommended Posts

9 minutes ago, Latadjust said:

Is that a daily thing, like thermals,  or a seasonal thing like Spring/Fall?

Except for the West Coast of Vancouver island,  it's a "How lucky to you feel?" thing in the PNW.  (Hint: Don't put all yer money on a single bet...)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Veeger said:

Except for the West Coast of Vancouver island,  it's a "How lucky to you feel?" thing in the PNW.  (Hint: Don't put all yer money on a single bet...)

We sailed very rarely on the west coast, it was an amazingly calm experience and totally at variance from expectation and repute. We expected way more wind and wave action.

dinghy+jdf.jpg

Back on topic, we spent a few days in this anchorage behind Matthews Island, outside Winter Harbour in Quatsino Sound. Beautiful place when you could see it.

fog3.jpg

fog1.jpg

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Campbells Cove or the Washabuck River, Bras d'Or Lakes, Cape Breton Island.

20180812_Washabuck+River+3.JPG

20180812_Washabuck+River+2.JPG

20180812_Washabuck+River+6.JPG

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My west coast boat in Montague Marine park.  Great hiking (sauntering).

My Fresh water boat at our farm in Ontario, great spot for looking at old lake schooners on the bottom.

P_20190501_081828_vHDR_Auto.jpg

FANDANGO.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Does anyone have photos of the Salt Pond in Block Island?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@monsoon   Thanks!  Does it fill up bad during the summer?  I'm trying to get up there, barring family disasters.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, monsoon said:

My first boat in the Salt Pond back in about 2003Wavelength_ext.thumb.JPG.0e3ea0919f3dec9c4bfc7542870a9987.JPG

I like the boom tent/cockpit awning. Any details you can share?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ajax said:

@monsoon   Thanks!  Does it fill up bad during the summer?  I'm trying to get up there, barring family disasters.

2aad09cda614c17c25456db42efb8509.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That would be the east coast equivalent of California's Catalina Island. The only destination within an easy day sail for roughly 5 million horny Jimmy Buffet fans to overnight at.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Diarmuid said:

2aad09cda614c17c25456db42efb8509.jpg

Hey, I see a spot for my boat.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Diarmuid said:

2aad09cda614c17c25456db42efb8509.jpg

Ha! Looks like 4th of July weekend.  Not typical.

Ajax, during the week it is not too bad, even July and August.  Weekends... pretty crowded, but I've never not found a decent spot. 

Red, the shade over the cockpit was just a nylon tarp. My cruising budget back then was not large. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Washabuck river?

Is that where you get your money laundered?

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

Washabuck river?

Is that where you get your money laundered?

Just make sure you don't run up on the Deutsche Bank, a well-know feature of the Washabuck.. 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, viktor said:

That's a sweet looking little boat. Any one have more info? 

Dayum!!! I crewed a boat up to Bras Dor Lake from Maine 2 summers back. I left the boat at St Peters because we had pushed so hard in bad weather to get there I was a little burned out. The owner and other crewman were sailing on to Baddeck and  really pushed me to sail on with them. Kinda wish I had now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Saco do Mamanguá

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ford’s Terror, Endicott Arm, Alaska.  No pics with me.  You have to live the experience getting in there and being there.

Ice bits floating in the water.  Nail-biting entry into a narrow fjord with uncertain (poorly predicted in books) timing of slack (full ebb or flood literally creates whitewater, whirlpools, etc: very dangerous). Poorly charted rocks - you watch the depth sounder change, suddenly rapidly, and your heart is in your throat.  Very high sheer granite, glacier-carved walls around you.  A sharp turn, constricted entry.  Ignore the chart - it’s not really accurate. Then you’re in.  A landlocked bay surrounded by snowy mountains.  A long low beach at low tide.  Absolutely no one for days and days.  We never saw anyone, coming in or leaving. No VHF reception. A whale very quietly entered and surfaced nearby.  The prawn trap I had dropped yielded prawns for dinner.  And, on Father’s Day, we broke out the ship’s large plastic garbage bags, hiked up nearby snowy slopes, put in our legs up to our butts, and used them as “sleds” to snow slide for a few hours!

Stunning place, but I wonder if I’d have the guts to go back in there.  Nail-biting entry, not terribly confidence-inspiring if something fucked up there...
 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Jud - s/v Sputnik said:

Ford’s Terror, Endicott Arm, Alaska.  No pics with me.  You have to live the experience getting in there and being there.

Ice bits floating in the water.  Nail-biting entry into a narrow fjord with uncertain (poorly predicted in books) timing of slack (full ebb or flood literally creates whitewater, whirlpools, etc: very dangerous). Poorly charted rocks - you watch the depth sounder change, suddenly rapidly, and your heart is in your throat.  Very high sheer granite, glacier-carved walls around you.  A sharp turn, constricted entry.  Ignore the chart - it’s not really accurate. Then you’re in.  A landlocked bay surrounded by snowy mountains.  A long low beach at low tide.  Absolutely no one for days and days.  We never saw anyone, coming in or leaving. No VHF reception. A whale very quietly entered and surfaced nearby.  The prawn trap I had dropped yielded prawns for dinner.  And, on Father’s Day, we broke out the ship’s large plastic garbage bags, hiked up nearby snowy slopes, put in our legs up to our butts, and used them as “sleds” to snow slide for a few hours!

Stunning place, but I wonder if I’d have the guts to go back in there.  Nail-biting entry, not terribly confidence-inspiring if something fucked up there...
 

It's a pretty neat place.  We anchored 'outside' the reversing rapids but kayaked in with the last of the flood and out with the early ebb----prior to the Class IV rapids that occurs at maximum exchange!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/18/2020 at 8:09 PM, SloopJonB said:

Washabuck river?

Is that where you get your money laundered?

No dear.

(Punctuate/spellcheck to taste.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Currently in Charlotte Amalie, fantastic for provisioning.  Tomorrow back to Virgin Gorda before the North swells arrive again.

PANO_20200225_145149_vr.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My club's man-made 7 hectare island - Clube dos Jangadeiros, Porto Alegre, Brasil.

Drone pic by my friend bruno pjr.

Ilha Janga.jpeg

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ram Island, Holbrook Harbor ME 

h254qeFzZezRXRquZMEoDGNAQTfh3ISvCe95_rHe

Dix Is, Muscle Ridge Channel ME 

WouPHbMykaGGmhECPFptNK1R2j7WlPbM8Ge3ygwf

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Since Willin and Jake are here...

Another of the drone shots at south minerva ( I put one up in the not sailing thread recently)

And the other is Fulaga in the Southern Lau, Fiji.  Minerva is just a great place to arrive after 5 days at sea for us, quite an unusual feeling anchored in the calm behind just the reef, might be 2 or 4 metre sea state outside. Been there in that,  but not this day.

Fulaga is just the crown jewel.

 

Screenshot_2020-03-08-14-38-34.png

Screenshot_2020-03-08-14-34-57.png

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maxx/Ish - you can post any anchorage on the coast and it will look like that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Ishmael said:

Octopus Islands.

oBgbLCI.jpg

 

Looks like a great spot to wait out CoVid19.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My favourite spot is where I drop the hook next time! Seriously. Looking at all pictures posted, my next drop wherever that might be is the best. 

For a minute, look at it differently. Where is the worst place? When I of whatever reason can't sail around exploring new places to drop my anchor that would be my worst day. Therefore, my best anchorage is where I drop it next time.  It might not be as exotic and nice as most of the pictures posted, but it is my best anchorage. We can discuss places we have been and places we like to visit, but nothing beats my next anchorage. 

Keep exploring, thank goodness, I got a windless. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lake (fake) Pedder Tasmania.

No photo description available.

Night one:

No photo description available.

An advantage of trailer-sailers (and no tide)!

No photo description available.

No photo description available.

No photo description available.

No photo description available.

Night two:

No photo description available.

No photo description available.

No photo description available.

No photo description available.

I do very little "cruising" - but will have to get back up here one day, maybe with the family... this was late summer, and the place (apart from a few kayakers near the town) was deserted!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, ALL@SEA said:

Lake (fake) Pedder Tasmania.

No photo description available.

Night one:

No photo description available.

An advantage of trailer-sailers (and no tide)!

No photo description available.

No photo description available.

No photo description available.

No photo description available.

Night two:

No photo description available.

No photo description available.

No photo description available.

No photo description available.

I do very little "cruising" - but will have to get back up here one day, maybe with the family... this was late summer, and the place (apart from a few kayakers near the town) was deserted!

Nice, what boat is that?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, ALL@SEA said:

Elliott 7, circa 1996. https://sailboatdata.com/sailboat/elliott-7 - I'm very close to buying a bigger, more ocean orientated boat, but have become very attached to my E7, and am not sure I will be able to part with her!

Who ever said that you're limited to having one boat?

FKT

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now