OSPREY

What’s your favorite anchorage’s ( pic’s)

I’d tell you, but then I’d have to kill you.....

B8864E96-CC32-4B24-945D-963E05653C8E.jpeg

• Like 5

Hard to choose just one... Tobago Cays here

Tobago Cays 2.JPG

• Like 1

I guess I was there at the right time we were the only boat for four days in June 

• Like 1

@Kris Cringle will be along shortly to shame us all with beautiful photos of Maine and his boat. :)

You guys are going all sunny...so here's my submission. Every morning I wake up, it's different. 

OXbY6_z6j4syDM25P5P1FsMSn7Y6NG4k_ZVXrZ-p

• Like 5

Pirates Cove on De Courcy island

image.png.e63d55bdaa40fb9611a7f3fbed174192.png

• Like 6

2 hours ago, OSPREY said:

I guess I was there at the right time we were the only boat for four days in June 

Summer is the best time for the Bahamas

Oh man, so many.

I don't have great anchorage shots for all of them. Some of my "great anchorages" may also have more to do with with what's around specifically, as opposed to the actually beauty of the spot. I mean, the Lagoon in St. Martin is packed full of boats and not particularly nice as anchorages go, 1) you're in St. Martin with easy access to both sides with tons of restaurants, groceries and marine services, 2) It's protected from roll and wind, 3) it's full of other cruisers and a pretty social place. Blackwattle Bay in Sydney is in the middle of of the city, which is in no way remote or quiet. But you're in the middle of Sydney, anchored for free, with easy access to everything there. Chaugaramas in Trinidad wasn't a special place, per se, but Trinidad was.

Makemo, Faka Rava, and Rangiroa in the Tuamotus are high on the beauty list, so was Isla Isabela where the penguins and sea lions swim around the boat. Tobago Keys, Pain de Sucre in Guadeloupe. All lovely, as well as Seal Bay, Vinalhaven, Long Island (Frenchboro), all the spots on Mt. Dessert Island, Linekin Bay. etc. etc.

Just a few...

Pain de Secure, anchored with a sister ship.

IMG_2419.thumb.JPG.b1e59169659097d29e83990567bc2059.JPG

Smith Harbor, Maine near Castine

IMG_1104.thumb.jpg.e9856e37303e19fe517a9a6b63693150.jpg

Tahoie (sp) Bay, Faka Rava

IMG_6936.thumb.JPG.427c9499e6d3a4d6867de25a37807cc5.JPG

Mo'orea

IMG_0094.thumb.JPG.dda12649ccb11243fa885c86e6b0a6c3.JPG

Seal Bay, Vinalhaven

_MG_8217.thumb.JPG.16deaf54f0776c6a97e1422f7533de10.JPG

So many more...

• Like 5

"ANNA" at Maskells Harbour, Cape Breton Island, Nova Scotia, a 56' Racing/Cruising Sloop - Launched: 2007 - Designer: Sparkman & Stephens - Builder: Brooklin Boatyard

U3WG6wtfYxLE3Sijy1izRvd6Ez4L-h9GH9Hc_w6v

I'm standing on my boat taking this photo.  A half hour later the fog burned away, the blue sky showed itself, and we had a glorious day of sailing.  

• Like 4

In the lagoon between the Crammond Islands, in the West Bay of the Bras d'Or Lakes on Cape Breton Island.  Someone keeps a mooring ball there, well maintained, free for anyone to use.  The power boaters are friendly and polite, just there to enjoy the little sand beach and the sheltered water between the islands.  Still, they generally leave a dusk to head back to the mainland, leaving us to enjoy the stars. That's us, the dark blue hull.

PibsENJfCfByS27B12ndJj1ojyW2pCTwdRoYqMvA

6NYFdLQTlxTuOz0hRB73taSaxtk8IfnnyVXA0pQf

Island Point Harbour, Bras d'Or Lake, Cape Breton Island

LzP1QqhI4-fKFmAZVrL2E9lxxgd-cGVRi2sHzMUi

wnKG-p9SVDNzOVhRykbDVPQvs0j80i36ejJkBnZW

• Like 2

Salazar in Otter Harbour, Great Bras d'Or, Cape Breton Island, Nova Scotia

dZC6qI4khNxit1hGKF_JPjV4UhV1YJHwZPNLk6Cv

FOB3mWYxBDKrcAgxDu5a6l8G5hAvGNp1kL6fCyu7

kyeoYNSCEPM8AA3qoLRbSQQ9PgVJp_En-8grhDIp

• Like 1

Cossitt Cove, Bras d'Or Lake, Cape Breton Island, Nova Scotia during an annual East Bay Regatta.  We were racing on the Yael, a C&C 35 Mk.1 (She's there with her name on the sail cover).

c_3VGoj8tMJ8L6smYiB8pm2-gXGDSwgz43SWJ_TO

EweX7U6eXRWsHuG0xQoVJANajsNq6lg-pvrWohic

Baddeck Harbour, tucked in behind Kidston Island, on the Bras d'Or Lake, Cape Breton Island, Nova Scotia

bras-dor-lake-biosphere-2-1920x1006.jpg 

• Like 3

The Pinkerton Islands, west coast Vancouver Island

Ri1tFrk.jpg

Princess Louisa Inlet, BC

oNPgb8OYmVcA6-2oDnbJ3huH5Yd_AtxU_p-5qfmO

Dixie Cove, Hohoae Island, west coast Vancouver Island

dixie+entrance.jpg

Blue Lips Cove, Amai Inlet, west coast Vancouver Island

blue+lips+entrance.jpg

• Like 11

8 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

Pirates Cove on De Courcy island

image.png.e63d55bdaa40fb9611a7f3fbed174192.png

Was too crowded when we came through, but had a couple great night's in Herring cove by ourselves.  Up there Tenidos is one of our favorites.

Chagres river was the last pretty nice one. Howler monkeys and toucans

IMG_20190917_085123660.jpg

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, SASSAFRASS said:

Was too crowded when we came through, but had a couple great night's in Herring cove by ourselves.  Up there Tenidos is one of our favorites.

Yeah, it's a lot of people's favourite.

Outside of July & August it gets a lot more private.

Cool history about that island - Brother 12 and all.

I have anchored many places far and wide but this well worn photo is of a back bay anchorage close to home.  It was, is, and always will be my favorite. 

IMG_3506.jpg

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1

This could be my favorite all time anchorage. In Merchants Row in a small basin formed by Shiver Island. 

726509295_AnchoredoffShiver2019.thumb.jpg.1ca6637dd3b29978cc4acb93c60b5365.jpg

The anchorage is too sketchy for 99% of sailors to use, so I've never found it occupied. As the tide lowers the shoreline emerges and nearly closes you in a small bowl. 

1747600543_Anchorage3(1of1).thumb.jpg.f4693fc85cb1e09860d6b363678cc296.jpg

Most think you'd be trapped until the tide comes back. There's room for one boat to swing if the breeze pipes up. 

If you're lucky and your light goes low with the tide, walking on the temporary archipelago, feels lunar like with so much exposed rocky land surrounding the tea cup in the center that your boat is floating in. My partner, a beach comber extraordinaire, is very happy here(tiny figure below-center). 

714871619_Lunarcoast-3.thumb.jpg.9c14cf155ceea848b0d73378dd335fe0.jpg

• Like 2

Mistake Island Harbor, Maine.  Also gets my vote for "Best Name."

Mistake Island Harbor.png

• Like 2

For us, most cruises begin and end at George's Harbor, Allen Island, ME. It's a convenient spot, not too far off the rhumbline for Penobscot Bay. The islands are owned by Andrew Wyeth's widow Betsy. She lives here in the summer and has a boat, Archangel,  run into Tenant's Harbor to bring the crew of day workers out to maintain the islands. One day, as the boat was motoring away, I asked a pretty girl aboard what the purpose of all these buildings was? She said "It's just my grandma's way of decorating!"

The Wyeths were the founders of the Island Institute, whose mission is trying to  find  ways to help the old island communities survive. I imagine this place is what a romantic artist envisions when thinking about island life.

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

Pure eye candy wherever you look. The only downside is the rolling you take from local lobster boats going to work at 4 am each day.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Ishmael said:

The Pinkerton Islands, west coast Vancouver Island

Ri1tFrk.jpg

I realized in the middle of the night I had mislabelled this...not that it matters much. It's actually the Bunsby Islands.

• Like 1

The slot between the ominous sounding Devil's Island and Hell's Half Acre, ME

enhance

Not the best protection, but certainly scenic with great hiking on Isle Au Haut, Duck Harbor

enhance

Someone already mentioned my all time favorite, Seal Cove, Vinalhaven. A perfect hurricane hole.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Ishmael said:

I realized in the middle of the night I had mislabelled this...not that it matters much. It's actually the Bunsby Islands.

Over the years I've come to realize they're all much of a muchness. ;)

"It's Tuesday"?

"This must be Shoal Bay"

A couple of recent ones. Yeah, I know that's my trawler (but it's trawler country there). I wish I'd had the drone much earlier, nothing like it for an anchorage shot. There were some spectacular anchorages in Newfoundland and on the Van Isle west coast, but no good pictures of them. Only got the drone last year.

Fury Cove, BC:

6S2uwCc.jpg

Kumeleon Inlet, BC:

IuWsIoi.jpg

Teakearne Arm, Desolation Sound:

XTTRVvZ.jpg

I'd agree on Mistake Harbor - though is was clogged with lobster pots when we were there:

Nr07Uhx.jpg

We liked The Pool in the North Channel, Great Lakes:

YCdGL8Q.jpg

The Benjamins, also North Channel:

QgL5fRJ.jpg

Bear Drop Harbor:

FLLva65.jpg

• Like 6

lousia is pretty awesome

Muertos is the first warm water awesomeness inside Baja super cool spot, the shadowing the bottom so wierd for PNWers

SV Sassafrass on the hook.jpg

DJI_0105.JPG

DJI_0107.JPG

• Like 3

dsc03306_resize.thumb.jpg.3239f94a7393f8dcd854b135811923dd.jpgdsc03271_resize.thumb.jpg.c93a09b2b8e5fcdb128b0d6c6d22c319.jpgT

Top. Cleary Cove, in the North Channel of Lake Huron. It's tight and shallow inside, and the two entrances are even tighter and shallower. But it is perfectly protected from wind and wave and I rarely see another boat, even when I have been there for a few consecutive days. Solitude. Bottom pic is of the harbor (harbour, eh) on the south side of South Benjamin Island, North Channel. Most boats like the big harbor between N and S Benjamin and I like that just fine. But the south harbor is quieter and is one of my favs. 

Snubs

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

Over the years I've come to realize they're all much of a muchness. ;)

"It's Tuesday"?

"This must be Shoal Bay"

Well, I should be able to remember the difference in this case. This is really the Pinkertons.

s3NCjTZ.jpg

• Like 2

Don't have any good pics but Squirrel cove is another one you could spend a month in, the cove on the north end even more. We went paddling in the lake and a Japanese fam on some huge powerboat made the mistake of following us in there huge rib dindy, then the tide went out, portaging sups not so bad, a 15' rib???

• Like 1

Harbour de Lute, Campobello Island, New Brunswick.  Very sheltered from all directions, huge tides though, at the mouths of the Bay of Fundy and Passamaquoddy Bay.  The tide is nearing high tide in the first photo.  The second is nearing low tide.  In that photo the dingy is on a line that runs from the shore (near the yellow ball to the right) to the post out in the water.  You pull the dingy out to where you think it won't go aground at low tide, and use the line to bring it in to wherever the shore happens to be, depending on the height of the tide, when you need it.  These were take from the shore of our good friends summer home there.

A8H818Ml1E2ScpMbY8a4rPu7jf5eSj7kx1cECQiQ

Tq58RCgmIGVNoTF6T0gxnKO2lRVc5GAz55nxPTpV

2 hours ago, Salazar said:

How come instead of pictures in your post all I see are these text strings?

Anyone know where this is? Hint: Francis Chichester rebuilt his Gypsy Moth airplane just to the left of the frame.

What kind of trees are those?

LordHowe.jpeg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Russell Brown said:

Anyone know where this is? Hint: Francis Chichester rebuilt his Gypsy Moth airplane just to the left of the frame.

LordHowe.jpeg

Cheated on Wiki, not what I thought.  Celestial single-handed sun shots while flying then long hand nav all the while still flying solo, guy was impressive.

2 hours ago, Russell Brown said:

LordHowe.jpeg

Pointy?

9 hours ago, snubber said:

dsc03271_resize.thumb.jpg.c93a09b2b8e5fcdb128b0d6c6d22c319.jpgT

Top. Cleary Cove, in the North Channel of Lake Huron. It's tight and shallow inside, and the two entrances are even tighter and shallower. But it is perfectly protected from wind and wave and I rarely see another boat, even when I have been there for a few consecutive days. Solitude. Bottom pic is of the harbor (harbour, eh) on the south side of South Benjamin Island, North Channel. Most boats like the big harbor between N and S Benjamin and I like that just fine. But the south harbor is quieter and is one of my favs. 

Snubs

Nice Long Micro. You the builder?

3 hours ago, Russell Brown said:

LordHowe.jpeg

Norfolk Pines?

• Like 2

Behind Telegraph Island, Khasab Inlet, Strait of Hormuz.  Christmas time.  Good times,  Seemed like we were alone on the World.

boothormuz.jpg.fd6f9702242f76aa2901a2e491a34516.jpgbootkant1.thumb.jpg.bd97fb5d1b09cb345aa1ca74828e3b66.jpg

• Like 1

There was more tidal hub than expected. Parked a bit wrong but got a good chance to clean the bottom.bootkant2.thumb.jpg.9710df791b3717a7920af20f76d4f85d.jpg

• Like 4

14 hours ago, Jim in Halifax said:

How come instead of pictures in your post all I see are these text strings?

It looks like a Google thing, which is where some of those photos are stored.  I can see them all but it looks like some of them just show as text strings to some (all?)  I'll try putting them elsewhere and reposting them.  Thanks for the heads up Jim.

On 2/7/2020 at 5:52 PM, Salazar said:

In the lagoon between the Crammond Islands, in the West Bay of the Bras d'Or Lakes on Cape Breton Island.  Someone keeps a mooring ball there, well maintained, free for anyone to use.  The power boaters are friendly and polite, just there to enjoy the little sand beach and the sheltered water between the islands.  Still, they generally leave a dusk to head back to the mainland, leaving us to enjoy the stars. That's us, the dark blue hull.

PibsENJfCfByS27B12ndJj1ojyW2pCTwdRoYqMvA

6NYFdLQTlxTuOz0hRB73taSaxtk8IfnnyVXA0pQf

Reposting as some of these photo don't display properly.

20110801_Crammond+Islands_0038-001.JPG

Crammond.jpg

On 2/7/2020 at 6:01 PM, Salazar said:

Island Point Harbour, Bras d'Or Lake, Cape Breton Island

LzP1QqhI4-fKFmAZVrL2E9lxxgd-cGVRi2sHzMUi

wnKG-p9SVDNzOVhRykbDVPQvs0j80i36ejJkBnZW

Reposting as some of these photo don't display properly for some viewers.

Island+Point+Harbour.jpg

Island+Point+Harbour+2.jpg

On 2/7/2020 at 7:25 PM, Salazar said:

Cossitt Cove, Bras d'Or Lake, Cape Breton Island, Nova Scotia during an annual East Bay Regatta.  We were racing on the Yael, a C&C 35 Mk.1 (She's there with her name on the sail cover).

c_3VGoj8tMJ8L6smYiB8pm2-gXGDSwgz43SWJ_TO

EweX7U6eXRWsHuG0xQoVJANajsNq6lg-pvrWohic

Reposting as some of these photo don't display properly for some viewers.

20090726_East+Bay+Regatta_0156.JPG

20090726_East+Bay+Regatta_0123-PANO.jpg

17 hours ago, Salazar said:

Harbour de Lute, Campobello Island, New Brunswick.  Very sheltered from all directions, huge tides though, at the mouths of the Bay of Fundy and Passamaquoddy Bay.  The tide is nearing high tide in the first photo.  The second is nearing low tide.  In that photo the dingy is on a line that runs from the shore (near the yellow ball to the right) to the post out in the water.  You pull the dingy out to where you think it won't go aground at low tide, and use the line to bring it in to wherever the shore happens to be, depending on the height of the tide, when you need it.  These were take from the shore of our good friends summer home there.

Reposting as some of these photo don't display properly.

20140818_Campobello+Island+Harbour+de+Lu

20140818_Campobello+Island+Harbour+de+Lu

3 hours ago, Max Rockatansky said:

Somewhere else, the Bahamas

DB234C69-EED7-400E-90CF-9A1F8CBF4C76.jpeg

They're a little behind in raking the beaches.

2 hours ago, maarten said:

There was more tidal hub than expected. Parked a bit wrong but got a good chance to clean the bottom.bootkant2.thumb.jpg.9710df791b3717a7920af20f76d4f85d.jpg

"I meant to do that". :D

1 hour ago, Malaya said:

Forney"s Cove Santa Cruz Island

sail boat at Forney's cove Santa Cruz Island.jpg

Careful, you can get a bit of a potato patch off the point when the afternoon winds come up. Saw my first ever greenwater over the bow there!

1 hour ago, Malaya said:

Forney"s Cove Santa Cruz Island

sail boat at Forney's cove Santa Cruz Island.jpg

I don't see any evidence of that being a cove.

Not even a bay for that matter.

Looks like what we call a fully exposed anchorage.

"Nice Long Micro. You the builder?"

[pics clipped for thread's sake].

Anomaly2. Thanks. Yes. Built her myself and launched into Lake Erie in August 2007. Sailed on Lake Erie until 2009 when I moved to Texas. Couldn't find good sailing nearby in Texas, so I started trailering her to the NC in the summer of 2010 and I keep returning. She is a good boat for simple rigging and sailing (unstayed rig, the mainmast is in a tabernacle, she only draws 21 inches), but is not a sport boat by any stretch; 4ksb. I spend 2-3 weeks living on her each summer in the NC. 

Snubs

1 hour ago, SloopJonB said:

They're a little behind in raking the beaches.

It's taking longer to rake the forests than expected, so they are a bit behind.

• Like 1

Another favorite, anchored off Isle Au Haut. Not in a cruising guide anywhere, we dubbed it Eden. 

1485402871_SunriseinEden(1of1).thumb.jpg.1a4fe359012524d9f9ee79b69365fcd4.jpg

At near high tide, a river formed and flowed back and forth over the bar between Isle Au Haut and Western Ear. We drifted in the ebb and flow and watched the bottom through the glass clear water typical in Penobscot Bay. 

1740322407_Edenridingtheoceancurrentintheriver2(1of1).thumb.jpg.cac23e37c251216470a77ed0b767ea62.jpg

• Like 3

3 hours ago, snubber said:

Anomaly2. Thanks. Yes. Built her myself and launched into Lake Erie in August 2007. Sailed on Lake Erie until 2009 when I moved to Texas. Couldn't find good sailing nearby in Texas, so I started trailering her to the NC in the summer of 2010 and I keep returning. She is a good boat for simple rigging and sailing (unstayed rig, the mainmast is in a tabernacle, she only draws 21 inches), but is not a sport boat by any stretch; 4ksb. I spend 2-3 weeks living on her each summer in the NC. 

Snubs

Cool!

Where in NC?

FB- Doug

7 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

Cool!

Where in NC?

FB- Doug

Doug,

Sorry. The context of NC = North Channel (of Lake Huron, Canada) was lost when I trimmed the original post for brevity. I have not sailed in North Carolina, but I am intrigued by Pablo Petey and possibly spinning my shirt like a helicopter.

Snubs

• Like 1

5 hours ago, snubber said:

Doug,

Sorry. The context of NC = North Channel (of Lake Huron, Canada) was lost when I trimmed the original post for brevity. I have not sailed in North Carolina, but I am intrigued by Pablo Petey and possibly spinning my shirt like a helicopter.

Snubs

Thanks. I have not been able to spend much time in the North Channel but what I have seen of it is certainly beautiful. I liked Collins Inlet the best but there were lot of high points.

I've thought that the Long Micro would be a good boat for the NC  (North Carolina) rivers and sounds too

FB- Doug

9 hours ago, snubber said:

Snubs

A good friend had one in SE Alaska so I know the boat fairly well. He used to complain of excessive weather helm in higher winds but I really like the design. Was mesmerized by one that pulled into a shallow bay in Thailand once and tried to swim over to talk to the guy but he departed before I reached him...

On 2/8/2020 at 11:45 AM, Willin' said:

For us, most cruises begin and end at George's Harbor, Allen Island, ME. It's a convenient spot, not too far off the rhumbline for Penobscot Bay. The islands are owned by Andrew Wyeth's widow Betsy. She lives here in the summer and has a boat, Archangel,  run into Tenant's Harbor to bring the crew of day workers out to maintain the islands. One day, as the boat was motoring away, I asked a pretty girl aboard what the purpose of all these buildings was? She said "It's just my grandma's way of decorating!"

The Wyeths were the founders of the Island Institute, whose mission is trying to  find  ways to help the old island communities survive. I imagine this place is what a romantic artist envisions when thinking about island life.

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

Pure eye candy wherever you look. The only downside is the rolling you take from local lobster boats going to work at 4 am each day.

Right from the vantage of that last picture I lost my anchor a few years back.  I love  that spot too.   Muscungous bay is one of this great places few people ever venture off too. 

22 minutes ago, eliboat said:

Right from the vantage of that last picture I lost my anchor a few years back.  I love  that spot too.   Muscungous bay is one of this great places few people ever venture off too. 

Hush yo mouth! it's uncharted and scary and off the rhumbline to Penobscot.